Status: Complete

Alone Together

Chapter Sixteen

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Rae asked. She and Taylor were strolling through one of the calmer New York neighborhoods, reconnecting while the guys were busy meeting with people about the remainder of the tour. The girls had found a small little shop with interesting knick knacks and clothing options. Rae ran her fingers over an ornate jewelry box covered in pearls, looking up at Taylor with sad eyes.

“Tell you what? About me and Pete?” Taylor asked. She set down a jeweled brush she’d been observing and shrugged. “Rae, can you blame me? He was with Ashlee, and I didn’t want to be that person.” Rae opened her mouth to argue something, but Taylor silenced her by holding up her hand. “Anyway, it’s in the past, right? There’s no use fretting about it all now.”

Rae nodded. “Yeah, I guess. Especially since you two are together now.” Taylor blushed and smiled, making Rae smirk. “Oh, stop, Taylor. You’re too freaking cute.”

Taylor giggled and held up a finger when her phone started ringing. “Oh, one sec, it’s my dad.” Rae nodded in understanding and Taylor excused herself to another aisle in the store. “Hello?”

Her dad’s chuckle always brought a smile to her face. “Hello, Katherine, darling,” he said. He sounded a lot better than the last time they had talked. When she’d visited a week ago he was pretty worse off with a cold. “I’m surprised I could get a hold of you.”

“Um, why wouldn’t you be able to get a hold of me?” she asked. She nodded at Rae when she held up a shirt for consideration.

She could imagine Gerard’s twinkling mischievously. “Oh, don’t be coy, Katherine. I saw the pictures when I went to check my email this morning. So good to see Pete’s back!”

Taylor furrowed her eyebrow, glancing towards Rae. “What pictures?” she asked. The tone of her voice caught Rae’s attention, and Rae walked over in concern.

“Why didn’t you tell me you two were seeing each other? By the looks of things you’ve been keeping this for a while! Don’t you know I’m your biggest fan?” His tone implied that he was kidding, but Taylor knew he was genuine in his happiness for her. That wasn’t what was making her hands shake.

“I haven’t been keeping anything for a while, Dad—“

“Sure, sure, you don’t have to tell me. I was actually calling to see if you two wanted to join us for dinner tonight. I’d love to get to talk to Pete again.”

Taylor shot Rae a glance who flashed her a thumbs up and started furiously typing away on her phone. “Um, I’ll have to ask him. Can I call you back later?” Taylor said. After she said her goodbyes and hung up, she turned back to Rae. “What’d you find?”

Rae was pouting at her phone, her cheeks quivering as she tried to hide the smile that was threatening to stretch across her face. “You two are so cute!” she whimpered, holding up her phone for Taylor to see. The screen was flashing a picture of Pete and Taylor on their walk in Central Park the day before, when Taylor had been leaning into Pete, his hands cradling her face as they kissed. Her back was tilted toward the camera, but Pete’s face was partially visible; his eyes were lowered and his lips were turned up into a smile.

Rae turned it back to look at before Taylor had fully let the panic set in. “Seriously, Pete should talk to the photographer and get a copy. This is too precious,” Rae said. Her fingers scrolled down the page, turning to the article. When her eyes read the headline, her smile fell. “Oh…um…maybe he better not.”

Taylor snatched the phone out of her hands and held it up to her face. “’Pete Wentz seen kissing mysterious redhead—a blast from the past?’” she read aloud. Rae shifted uncomfortably on her feet and looked away. Taylor read on. “Pete Wentz, bassist of Fall Out Boy, was seen yesterday caught in a passionate embrace with a mysterious redhead in Central Park. But is this some new flame, or a flame rekindled?”

Taylor gasped when another picture slid onto the screen, slamming her palm against her lips. It was of the night she and Pete had gone to hear FreeTime play before meeting Gerard. It was obviously a cell phone picture, with very grainy quality, but it very clearly showed Taylor and Pete sitting close together, hands firmly clasped. It was when Pete had been leaning in to tell her something he had liked about the band, his lips pressed close to her ear as she looked over at him with a smile.

Her voice was shaking as she read the rest of the article. “’Sources say that these two have been involved—while Wentz was with ex-wife, Ashlee Simpson!’” Taylor looked up at Rae in a panic. “Oh my God, Rae, do you think Pete has seen--?”

She was cut off when Rae’s phone started ringing, and her heart started pounding when she saw Pete’s name flashing across the screen. She looked back up at Rae, feeling her mouth go dry. Rae offered a sympathetic smile and took back her phone, holding it up to her ear. “Hey, Pete. Yeah, yeah, just saw. Yeah, Taylor saw it.” She looked up at Taylor as Pete spoke, feeling very sorry for the nervous wreck in front of her. With a sigh, she held out her phone to Taylor. “He wants to talk to you.”

Taylor accepted the phone with shaking hands, and held it up to her ear with the assistance of both palms, pressing it against her cheek. “Hello?”

“Hey.” Just hearing his voice made her heart speed up ten times faster, and his sigh broke her heart. “So, Ashlee just called me. She’s…not too happy,” he said.

Taylor shot a glance towards Rae and then walked away again, away from the store clerks for some more privacy. She knew Rae would make sure she wasn’t overheard. “Pete, I am so sorry. I didn’t—“

“No, Taylor, stop,” he said. He sighed again, sounding nearly exasperated, and Taylor felt a flicker of fear spread in her stomach. “There is nothing for you to be sorry for. I’m the one who fucked up before.”

The line became silent, and Taylor realized she’d been holding her breath. She released it in a puff, and lowered her voice. “Did you tell her about Chicago?” she whispered.

She could hear the stress in Pete’s voice. “Well, I kind of had to, didn’t I? She’s the mother of my kid; I couldn’t just lie to her point blank. I told her everything—how I was in love with you, but we never acted on it until that day…and then how you left. Ash knows it wasn’t because of you that we split, but that doesn’t make her my number one fan right now…or yours, either.”

Taylor bit her lip, ignoring the iron taste trickling onto her tongue. “Ashlee never liked me, though,” she mumbled. “Remember after the Garter Incident?”

She could hear Pete chuckle, and the pressure on her heart lessened. “How could I forget? But anyway, Tay, none of it matters now. Ash and I have been done for a while, and she’s not mad about us now. I just should have maybe not been a dick and told her sooner.” He choked out another laugh. “And now Ashlee pretty much hates your guts ten times more.”

Taylor huffed. “Yeah, well, I was never really that fond of her either, so I guess we’re even.”

This time Pete’s laugh was genuine, and it rang like wind chimes in her ear. “Uh oh, is that hatred I hear, Miss Barrie? I thought that wasn’t an emotion someone as sweet as you could feel!”

Taylor smirked and turned back towards Rae, giving her friend a thumbs up, making Rae’s face flood with relief. “Taylor Barrie does not hate, Peter. I just hide a severe dislike for others through politeness and genuine smiles.”

“Taylor, you are a saint,” Pete said, deciding he would much prefer being with her at that moment instead of the meetings he was stuck in all day. “I’m sorry to fuck up your perfect reputation with this. I mean, some people won’t care, but I know other people can be vicious.”

Taylor smiled. “Pete, it’s fine. Really. I wasn’t such a saint with the whole thing, either, so whatever slack I get I kind of deserve.”

“No, you don’t,” Pete growled. “You don’t deserve any shit, Tay.”

Taylor bit her lip again, wincing when her raw flesh burned against her teeth. “We’ll talk about it later, okay? I’m sure you’ve got a lot of other things you should be doing now besides worrying about me and my reputation.”

There were some muffled voices on the other end of the line and Pete laughed. “Brendon said to tell you he doesn’t want to save your reputation. Apparently it’s a line in one of the songs they’re about to release, so feel special.”

Taylor grinned. “Oh, I feel very special. Now get back to whatever you guys were doing! Oh—before I forget, though. My dad wanted to invite you to dinner tonight, if you want.”

Pete was silent for a moment, and Taylor wondered if he had heard her. When he finally spoke, his voice was much softer than it had been a moment ago. “Yeah, I’d like that. I’ll come pick you up when we’re out of here. Um…could I maybe finally have your number again so I can let you know when we’re done?”

Taylor giggled and recited the digits to him, hanging up and handing the phone back to Rae. Rae looked at her cautiously, gauging her mood. “Be honest. This whole thing has you freaking out, doesn’t it?” she asked.

Taylor sighed and nodded, burying her face in her hands. “Now the world knows what a home wrecking whore I am,” she mumbled. Rae snorted and wrapped an arm around Taylor’s shoulder, leading her back out onto the street.

“Oh, please, they don’t know shit. Nobody knows if you and Pete ever had a fling before, they’re just digging for an interesting story. And I don’t think Ashlee would be the type to say anything to the press. She’s a bitch, yeah, but she loves Bronx too much to fuck with Pete like that.”

Taylor sighed and gave Rae a sad smile. “I really hope so, Rae.”

--

Sylvia and Gerard had evidently worked very hard to make a good impression for the young couple that evening. They had laid their table with a beautiful cloth that was sprinkled with stitched rosebuds along the trim, and placed out the fine China Sylvia’s parents had left to her. Sylvia had whipped up some fine smelling meal for them, and the scents were wafting in from the kitchen into the dining room where Pete and Taylor awkwardly sat across from Gerard. Gerard was smiling at them, his elbows resting happily on the table and fingers linked beneath his chin.

Taylor could feel Pete’s leg bouncing next to her. Nobody had said anything for quite a while, and she guessed the silence was beginning to make him anxious. There had been pleasantries exchanged when they had first arrived, and Sylvia insisting they make themselves at home while she cooked, refusing any of Taylor’s help. Gerard had invited Pete to join him in a glass of whiskey, and the glass was still clutched tightly in the fist Pete was resting on the table, the condensation trickling down onto his fingers.

Taylor cleared her throat, startling the two men sitting with her back into some state of consciousness, and she offered them both a bright smile. “It was really nice of you to invite us, Dad,” she said, subtly placing a hand on Pete’s knee under the table in an attempt to calm him. He flashed her a grateful smile and squeezed her fingers with his free hand.

Gerard grinned and let out a hearty laugh. “Well, of course, Katherine! It’s our pleasure! I don’t think we’ve seen you since Hailey and Evan came by with little Harry. And Pete! Why, it’s been even longer!”

Pete chuckled awkwardly, his fingers gripping Taylor’s hand tighter. “Yeah, I know, it’s been a while, huh?”

Gerard nodded. “I was very sad to never hear of you when I talked to Katherine, Peter, I won’t lie. And then I heard about your wedding and little boy, and then it all made a bit more sense!” His laughter rolled over them like Irish waves, drowning them both in embarrassment.

Taylor’s eyes flashed over at Pete, noticing his smile falter and sweat beginning to form on his forehead. “Dad, I talked to you about all that, remember?” she said quietly, giving her father a very pointed look.

Gerard brushed her off with a wave of his hand. “Hey, I’m not saying anything bad! I knew he was dating that Simpson girl before. But remember, I told you he liked you? Looks like I was right, hm?” Taylor blushed and glared down at the embroidered roses. Gerard took a sip from his drink and gave Pete a wink. “Fine looking boy you have, Pete. Rather wild hair, though, if you don’t mind me saying.”

Pete cleared his throat and coughed out a laugh. “Yeah, Bronx likes keeping it long. He won’t let us cut it. I tell ya, he’s one crazy little human.” Talking about his son seemed to calm Pete down a bit, and the smile stretched across his face was the first sign of comfort he’d exhibited the entire night. “Last time he was over Rae put curlers into his hair and he thought it was the most fun thing in the world. It wasn’t until Joe started calling him Princess Leia that he let me take them out.”

Gerard laughed and clapped his hands. “What a wonderful little boy! I remember Evan used to always trudge around in Sylvia’s heels when she left them lying around. He was old enough to know better, of course. I think he just did it for a laugh. But still, that boy…”

Taylor felt her stomach drop and appetite dissipate at his words. It still stung to be reminded of all the opportunities for memories she had missed with her father, all the ones that Evan had been blessed with instead of her. It pained her to remember Gerard had had another family beyond Taylor and her long deceased mother. He never had any stories to share of her, because there were so few stories, and he never failed to remind her in their meetings, although it was always unintentional.

Pete felt Taylor stiffen next to him and understand her discomfort. Before he could say something to change the subject, Sylvia came booming in carrying two steaming plates. “Here we are, everyone!” she announced, placing the plates on the table and taking her seat next to Gerard. She glanced between all the strained faces sitting around her and her smile faltered. “What did I miss?” she asked.

“Nothing,” Taylor said hurriedly. Everyone looked at her, and she lifted her eyes from the table cloth, forcing a small smile. “Nothing at all, Sylvia.” They all began to dig in and Pete squeezed her knee, almost as a way to let her know he could hear the words she wasn’t saying, but everyone at the table could.

It was Gerard who had missed everything, and it was still difficult for Taylor to forgive.

--

They stopped at Taylor’s apartment to grab her a change of clothes, since it was silly for Pete to continue paying for a hotel he’d only slept in once. He had suggested they spend the evening enjoying the dessert room service and whatever cheesy movies they could find on T.V. Taylor was still very quiet after dinner at her father’s, and even when Pete tried cracking jokes on the ride to the hotel, all he got in response were forced smiles as Taylor stared out the window.

When they were all settled in their pajamas and Pete had paid for their cheesecake, Taylor sat down on the couch in Pete’s suite with her knees pulled up to her chest. He sat down next to her, gingerly placing their plates on the coffee table in front of them before turning to face her. She kept her eyes glued on the screen, feigning interest in the crime drama that had just started.

Pete sighed and nudged her foot with his until she looked at him. “Wanna talk about it?” he asked kindly, flashing her his infamous grin.

She nuzzled her face into her arms, sighing into the cotton of her sweatshirt. “About what?” she mumbled.

His grin softened into the smile he saved just for her and he scooted closer until their shoulders were touching. “Anything. Whatever it is that’s got you moping.”

She scoffed, “Moping? Who’s moping? I’m not moping.” Pete raised an eyebrow, giving her a look that very politely was calling her bullshit and said he’d give her a moment. Taylor sighed and turned to face him better, leaning her head against the back of the couch. “Okay, fine. It’s just…a few things.”

Pete nodded and pressed his forehead against hers. “I got time,” he said.

Taylor closed her eyes when he started running his fingers through her hair. “I don’t want to be a whore,” she whispered. Pete’s eyebrows furrowed and he pulled away, but Taylor kept her eyes closed and held up a finger to indicate he shouldn’t talk yet. “I know you’ll say I’m not, but I am. I slept with you when you were still with Ashlee, and now the world knows and I can’t keep pretending that it didn’t happen that way.”

Her eyelashes were glittering as stubborn tears emerged, no matter how hard she tried to keep them at bay. Pete frowned and pulled her into his arms, petting her hair as she buried her face in his chest. “Let me stop you right there, Taylor Barrie,” he said sternly, pressing kisses into her hair. “There is not any reality where you are a whore, so you get that out of your head right now. No,” he said, holding her tighter when she shifted as if to pull away. “Let me finish.”

He ran his fingers down her spine, smiling when he felt her shiver. “Listen, I don’t know about you, but that night was fucking special to me. If you were a whore, you’d be sleeping around with any given guy every other night. I know you don’t do that, Tay, and I know that night meant a lot to you, too. It wasn’t the best timing for it to happen, but we can’t change that now anymore than we could then.” She nuzzled her face into his neck and sighed. Pete smiled sadly. “Besides, Tay, fuck what all those assholes think. They don’t know shit about us anyway.”

She laughed and brushed her lips over his collarbone before pulling back to look into his eyes. “How do you do that?” she asked.

“Do what?”

“Not care what other people might be thinking.”

Pete shifted uncomfortably and twirled a strand of her hair around his finger. “Well, that’s not really it. I actually care a lot,” he said, looking down in his lap. “I’m just getting better about not letting it control how I feel and all, ya know?” Suddenly a grin erupted on his face and his eyes twinkled mischievously. “Besides, nothing is worse than when those pictures of my dick went viral. Talk about caring what people thought? I was self-conscious about size for ages!”

Taylor giggled and slapped his chest playfully. “You don’t need to worry about size,” she laughed.

Pete smirked and wiggled his eyebrows at her. “Excuse me, Miss Barrie? What was that?” She started giggling uncontrollably when he growled and pretended to bite her neck. “I think I might have heard you wrong. Did you just imply I have a big dick?”

“Oh, you’re impossible.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this update took a while! I keep alternating between falling in love with Pete and Brendon. It's Pete's turn right now ;)