Status: Complete

Alone Together

Chapter Six

That night, Pete couldn’t sleep. Ashlee lay next to him, cuddled into the blankets and contently rolling onto her side. He turned away from her and sighed, closing his eyes and willing his mind to stop moving so wildly with thoughts of the museum earlier. Soon, his distressed mind eased and allowed him to drift into unconsciousness, but it didn’t release him from the object on his mind.

He was standing on the red carpet for some formal event, with lights flashing at him from every direction and his ears nearly bleeding from hearing his name screamed out by so many young ladies. They all swarmed up to him and tugged at his arms and jacket, livid with excitement at being so near their idol without any guards dragging them off. He desperately tried to pry them off to no avail, and it wasn’t until a clicking of heels sounded that they dispersed.

The girls all parted and there stood Ashlee, dressed in a sexy slinky dress as black as his hair. She glided over to him and ran her hands up his chest to his shoulders. She tossed her hair back and the scent of her filled his nostrils, causing them to flare in annoyance. She was suffocating him with her smell; he couldn't breathe. Pete tried to take a step back but she clung to him, ignoring all the other girl's angry stares and huffs.

Ashlee smiled, sly and malicious, and ran her hands back down his front, pausing at his belt buckle. "Hi Pete," she sighed, her breath even fouler than her scent and making his eyes water. He wrinkled his nose and grabbed her wrists, pulling her hands away and holding them at shoulder height.

"Ash, what are you doing?" he asked, pushing her away and into the sea of fan girls.

She raised an eyebrow and reached for him again, her finger tracing small circles on his arm. "What's wrong Petey? I always do this," she said, giggling at his silliness as flashes erupted from the crowd. She spun around and posed, smiling seductively with him standing awkwardly behind her.

He shook his head and stepped back again, the pounding in his skull even more painful. "Pete," Ashlee said, taking a step closer to mirror his movements. He closed his eyes and shivered in disgust. "Pete," she said again, and "Pete. Pete. Petey. Pete. Pete. Pete--"

"Pete?"

He opened his eyes and raised his eyebrows. Ashlee was gone, as were his fans. All he could see now was nothing but lush gardens and bright green grass, a small stone pathway leading to a petite waterfall and pond, and Taylor, dressed elegantly in a pure white gown with her fingers twirling in the river.

When she heard him walk forward she looked up, her lips erupting into a smile the minute she saw it was him. She waved him over to the place next to her and he sat, gazing at her and she giggled upon feeling a goldfish nibble on her finger. He subconsciously inhaled her scent and sighed, the pain in his head easing instantly. His lungs filled with air and allowed him to breathe again, his vision was no longer blurry, and his ears opened enough to hear the calm crashing of the water onto the wet stones below it as it traveled to the trench it was destined to fill.

She smelled like budding roses in the spring.

They sat in silence for what seemed like forever to Pete, she playing with the fish and he gazing upon her as though he would never see her again. Finally, he felt the urge to speak. "I'm confused, Tay," he whispered. She withdrew her hand from the water and turned to look at him, her eyes soft and ears perked to listen.

"About what, Peter?" she asked quietly, reaching her hand out to gently caress his own. He gripped onto her fingers and linked them with his, staring down at them as he spoke.

"Everything. I thought I had it all figured out, but I was wrong. Everything I thought I loved before, everything I thought I needed to live, seems less important. It's almost as if it had no purpose to begin with."

She nodded in understanding and cocked her head, observing him carefully. "I think, you should take some time and think about that," she said. "Think about what really is most important to you--what you know you can't live without. Look at the big picture. You need to look into the future, not really the present."

Pete raised his head and looked up at her. She blinked and smiled softly, and squeezed his hand assuredly. “I love you, Tay. You’re one of my best friends,” he said quietly. She smiled sadly and said nothing, simply looking at him as she often did when she knew he needed to talk.

Suddenly he felt himself falling forward, his head leaning closer to hers, almost against his own will. But he didn’t fight it. Instead he allowed his face to draw closer to hers, his eyes widening the closer her got. She didn’t move; she held tightly to his hand and gazed into his deep eyes, her lips parted in silent speech. Just before their lips touched he heard his name being called. Curious as to who was calling him he turned his head and saw no one, just as he saw no one when he looked back to where Taylor was.

Pete sat up and took a deep breath, running his fingers though his disheveled hair and trying to slap his face to wake himself up. Ashlee groaned and rolled onto her back, reaching a hand out to him in the distance. “You okay babe?” she asked, her just awake voice manly compared to Taylor’s. Pete forced a smile and nodded, leaning down and placing a chaste kiss on her forehead.

“I’m fine. I had a dream about you,” he said quietly. She laughed, “I hope it wasn’t bad. You woke up with a bad start there sweets.” He shook his head and lay back down next to her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to his chest. “Nah, it wasn’t bad.”

He pictured Taylor sitting by the waterfall, smiling at him in adoration.

“It was actually one of the best ones I’ve had in a while.”

--

Although Pete Wentz was sleeping soundly at his quaint apartment, one of the women in his dreams found it a difficult thing to do.

Taylor sighed in frustration, kicking the covers off her restless legs and turning to sit up, rolling off the bed and landing with a thud to her hardwood floor. She groaned and her hand went to her hip, rubbing the soon to be bruised bone as she stumbled groggily to her feet and fumbled for her hoodie amongst her piles of clothes upon her floor she had yet to put away.

It was very late, or early, depending on how you looked at it. The stone of her balcony was chilly on her bare feet, the railing cold on her naked hands, but she didn’t care. Whenever she couldn’t sleep, which seemed to be more and more often, she would come out on her little balcony, staring up into the night sky. Her eyes caught sight of Taurus and she looked away, sighing and pushing back her hair.

Her phone’s dreary ring sounded from inside and she trudged in to answer it, wondering who in the world would be calling her at three in the morning. “Hello?” she mumbled, cradling the phone to her ear.

“Katherine? Oh dear, I’m sorry—it must be nearly four there, isn’t it? I’m sorry!” Gerald Barrie’s gentle voice spluttered apologies, causing his daughter to laugh quietly and shake her head.

“It’s okay Dad, I was already up. Yes, don’t worry about it. What’s up?” He didn’t sound convinced, but went on to say he was currently visiting in San Francisco and was about to purchase tickets to head home.

“But I thought I’d wait and see if I should add a stop in Chicago to my list,” he said, hesitating towards the end as if expecting her to reject him.

Taylor smiled widely. “Oh, Daddy, I’d love for you to come to Chicago! When will you be coming in? I think I might have enough time to fix up the guest room…when does your flight leave?”

Gerald laughed heartily and explained, “Sweetie, I haven’t even bought my ticket yet. But if I get the next flight I should be there by tomorrow tonight. Think you’d be ready for me then?”

She nodded her head ecstatically and grinned. “Sure thing! I just have to clean up a bit. Oh! I have to show you where I work! It’s really nice,” she bragged, hoping to impress her father when he arrived.

Again he laughed, “I’m sure it is Katherine. I’ll meet you at the airport around seven, okay?” She agreed and slid the phone back onto the base unit and plopped down on the couch, her heart beating wildly. It had been thirteen years…what was he like now? Would she recognize him?

Shaking her head she hopped up, grabbing the cleaning supplies from the hallway closet and starting her work.

--

Taylor held her hands out imploringly, smiling sweetly at the man before her. “Pat, please, my car is in the shop and I need someone to—“

“I’m not lending you my car. Sorry Tay. I’ve had bad past experiences,” Patrick shook his head, glaring at Pete as he got up to place his dish in the sink.

Pete rolled his eyes and shifted in his chair to face away from his best friend, muttering something about trust issues and “You crash into a tree one time…” Taylor rounded on him instead.

“Pete, you don’t need to lend me your car. Please, just drive me to the airport and help me pick up my dad.”

He hesitated and looked at her. “I don’t know, Tay. I’m supposed to listen to this new band tonight…” he muttered, hating himself for making her face contort into pained anguish.

“Could Joe or Andy give me a ride? I don’t know if I could deal with the cabs tonight!” she groaned, plopping down on one of the chairs and burying her face in her hands. Both men shifted uncomfortably and looked at each other. Patrick made a face and gestured towards her, motioning for Pete to be the one to comfort her.

Pete bit his lip and scratched his head, slowly bringing his arm around and resting it on her shoulders. “What time does his flight get in?” he asked quietly, leaning closer to her until his lips brushed her hair.

She sniffed and mumbled, “Seven.” Pete turned his head and glanced at Patrick, rolling his eyes at the way his best friend was staring with his mouth agape, jaw dropped and eyes wide at how close the two were sitting.

“I’m watching this band at four-thirty. How about you come with me, and after that we can go get your dad?” he suggested, gently rubbing his thumb against her shoulder.

She turned her face to look at him and smiled. “Thank you Pete.”

Patrick shook his head and turned away, wondering how long it’d take them to figure out Pete had pretty much just asked Taylor out on a date.

--

“So, this band,” Taylor started, smiling in thanks as Pete pulled out her chair for her at the little local club the musical group were performing at.

He smiled and sat next to her, nodding, “This band. What about this band?” She grinned and inconspicuously scooted closer.

“Exactly. What about this band? Are they really good?” she asked. He blew his bangs out of his face and shrugged.

“I dunno. I mean, I’ve heard things. Figured I’d check ‘em out,” he said.

She nodded and smiled, turning in her seat to accept her water from the waitress. “You know, Tay,” Pete smiled fondly, “I’m really glad you’re here. I mean, it just seems like whenever we hang out it’s with everybody.” She raised an eyebrow and took a sip from her straw. He blushed, “I dunno. It’s just…nice.”

Her lips curved around the plastic and she set her glass down, reaching over and holding his hand. “It is nice,” she agreed, making him meet her eyes and smile.

Soon the band they had come to see strolled out on stage. The only male in the group stayed on the right side of the stage, his guitar slung over his shoulder as if he barely noticed it was there. A hyper brunette bounced towards the back and plopped down behind the drum set, twirling a pair of obnoxious neon drumsticks between her fingers. The final two came out together, the brown-locked girl wielding a guitar and the black haired beauty held a black and white bass with a checkered strap.

“I’ve heard their demo,” Pete whispered, leaning closer so she could hear him over the bass player’s introduction. “They’re pretty good. I think you’ll like them.”

She smiled and leaned into him. “If you like them? I’m sure I will,” she whispered back.

They were different, to say the least. The drummer was spastic, the male guitarist somewhat stoic, the lead singer calm yet energetic, and the bass player completely absorbed in what she was doing. Between songs Pete would scoot even closer to Taylor, ignoring the questioning stares of the other guests of the club, and would whisper in her ear something he liked about the last piece, or something he admired about the way they all held themselves, and Taylor would smile sweetly and nod, occasionally sharing her own insight. Neither felt the need to mention that he hadn’t let go of her hand since they got there.

When they’d finished their seat Pete glanced at his watch. “Hey, there’s like a half hour before we should leave,” he stated, looking up at her. “Mind if I talk to them for a sec?” She shook her head and laughed as he excitedly stood up, dragging her with him towards the way backstage and smooth talking his way past the bouncer.

The four members of FreeTime seemed shocked to find Pete Wentz asking for them but were not so star struck that they weren’t able to communicate. The lead singer Hailey seemed to be the most sensible, and so Pete exchanged numbers with her and told her he’d be interested in hearing them again sometime and maybe sign them to his label.

The other three, Milo the guitarist, Jane the drummer, and Rae the bassist, all chatted up Taylor as the other two talked business. “So, don’t mean to be rude, but who are you?” Jane asked, hopping on the balls of her feet.

“Don’t mind her,” Rae butted in, rolling her eyes and pushing Jane down flat on her feet to stay still. “She’s on drugs.”

Taylor opened her mouth in surprise and Milo jumped in, “She’s kidding. Rae’s kidding. We don’t do drugs.”

Jane snorted, “Maybe you don’t!” At his harsh glare she backed off, turning her attention to her fraying belt. Taylor smiled again and slightly tightened her grip on her purse.

“I’m Taylor Barrie,” she said, directed towards Milo.

Rae grinned and pushed him out of the way. “Rachel Bennet, you can call me Rae. He’s Milo Valiant, she’s Jane Howard, and over there is Hailey-Beth Brothers.” She looked around and then leaned closer, as if to share a secret.

“We just call her Hailey, though,” she whispered. Taylor suppressed a laugh and turned around when she felt her hand being tugged.

Pete grinned and winked at her, nodding to everyone else. “It was a pleasure meeting you all,” he said, reminding Hailey that he’d call her later.

“They seem nice,” Taylor commented as they walked out, still hand clasped.

Inside the club, Jane turned to Rae. “What do you think? Are they bumping uglies?” she asked.

Rae sniffed and shook her head. “That is so inappropriate, Jane. I’m offended you would ask.” When Hailey and Milo walked away Rae pulled Jane aside. “I don’t know if they are, but I can tell you they sure want to. Did you see how they looked at each other?” she exclaimed.

Jane grinned and started humming, “Bow chicka bow wow! Bow chicka bow—ow! What was that for?” she whimpered, rubbing the back of her head where Rae had slapped her.

“Don’t make it dirty,” she scolded, looking out the window where she could see Pete and Taylor in the parking lot, with Pete holding the door open for her to get in. “Can’t you see how much they like each other?”

--

Taylor bounced on the balls of her feet, biting her lip and straining her neck to look over the crowd for a mess of red hair to emerge amongst the passengers disembarking. Pete glanced over at her and did a double take at her anxiousness. Smiling, he reached over and grabbed her hand, leaning closer to her and whispering, “Tay, you need to calm down. He’s coming. Relax.”

She blew a puff of air through clenched lips and nodded, giving his hand a squeeze and fearing she’d throw up from excitement if he didn’t walk in front of her soon. Minutes passed, and Pete glanced worriedly over at Taylor, surprised to find a determined and hopeful glimmer still in her eye. Suddenly her stern face erupted in a grin and her eyes shot up to look at him. “I see him!” she beamed, pointing a finger. “See? With the red hair?”

He did see him. He also saw the young man walking with him. But Taylor was oblivious to the other man.

All she saw were the dimples that had smiled at her in childhood, the deep green eyes she could always see mirror her own, the huge white teeth that she fortunately hadn’t inherited due to their large size. When he was close enough she pulled away from Pete and nearly bounced to her father, hesitating for only a second before wrapping her arms around him in a huge and long awaited hug.

She didn’t say anything when she felt the wetness of his tears on her shoulder, and she was glad when he didn’t remark about her own watermarks sliding down onto his jacket. She didn’t say anything when he pulled away and admired how her hair had grown, how bright her eyes were, and she didn’t even push him away when he affectionately pinched her cheek. The only time she said anything was when her father walked her back over to Pete and gestured towards the man standing awkwardly next to him. “Taylor, this is Evan. Your step-brother, love.”

She stared blankly at him. “My…” she trailed off, confused. Pete nervously looked between the three people before him, unsure if he should step forward and take Taylor’s hand again. She shook her head at him when he stepped towards her and flashed a smile, directing it to Evan. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Evan,” she said, holding out a hand. “I didn’t expect to see you.”

Evan awkwardly shook hands with her and then sighed, shrugging and pulling her into his chest. She grunted when she slammed against him, surprised and confused as to why he was hugging her. “Gerard told me all about you,” he muttered to her. “I always wanted a sister.”

She smiled and returned the embrace. “It’s nice to have a brother,” she whispered.

They eventually pulled away and Pete took Taylor’s hand when she stepped back, pulling their hands slightly behind them so as to avoid questioning from the others. “Do you need help getting your bags?” he asked Gerard, who smiled and shook his head.

“No, no, you’ve done enough,” he laughed, throwing an arm around Pete’s shoulder and leading him away. Taylor reluctantly let his fingers slip out of her grasp but smiled after him as she watched her father talk his ear off, going on and on about Lord knows what. Evan smiled too, and they followed.

“Don’t mean to sound rude, but Dad didn’t say anything about you being with him,” she said lightly. He nodded and scratched his head.

“Yeah, I know. Sorry about that,” he muttered. “I didn’t know if I could leave yet, and by the time we got our tickets we thought it’d be too late to call you up.”

“Oh,” she said, still not wanting to ask the question she knew would sound rude.

“I’m not staying with you, if you’re wondering,” he quickly said. “My fiancée lives here too. I’m staying with her.”

Her eyebrows raised and she muttered oh again, quickly flashing a smile. “You’re engaged? That’s wonderful. When’s the wedding?” she asked.

His shoulders relaxed and he grinned, “Two months. We wanted to wait until after I graduate.”

He threw a glance over at her. “You’ll come, won’t you?” Noticing her hesitation to speak he jumped in again. “I was going to ask you sooner, you know. So it wouldn’t be as weird. But well, I never got a chance to take off and meet you and Da—Gerard didn’t know where you lived. Said your aunt whisked you away to Tennessee and he hadn’t heard from you since.”

Taylor bit her lip, mentally reminding herself to call Cynthia up later and see how she was. “Yeah, that was a while ago,” she muttered.

Noticing his still hopeful look she smiled and nodded. “Of course I’ll come. Just tell me when and where…and the who helps too. As in, what’s your fiancée’s name?”

His grin nearly swallowed his entire mouth. “Hailey,” he beamed. “Hailey Brothers.”