Status: Complete

Alone Together

Chapter Seven

“Well how ‘bout that,” Patrick smiled. “Taylor’s step-brother is engaged to the singer of the band you’re signing. Small world.”

Pete rolled his eyes and kicked off his shoes. “Yeah. Small world,” he sneered, plopping down on the couch and crossing his arms.

“Uh oh, Petey’s pouting,” Joe cooed, walking over and making frowny faces at his friend. Pete tried to slap his hands away.

“What’s wrong, Pete?” Andy asked from the loveseat, his eyes momentarily lifting from his comic book.

“He’s just upset that now that Taylor’s pop is here he can’t go to her place and ravish her whenever he wants,” Joe sighed, deciding against sitting next to Pete as he had planned when he noticed the angry glare being shot at him.

“Oh calm down Pete. You know that’s true,” Patrick scolded, whacking his head as he walked past with the popcorn.

“Whatever,” Pete drolled. “You guys don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.”

Joe squealed and pointed a finger. “Oh no, oh no! Peter used a fowl word! My virgin ears!” He quickly turned to Patrick and fell to his knees, folding his hands and gazing up at the younger man. “Please Mama! Punish him! Put some soap in that mouth!” Patrick laughed and tossed a handful of popcorn at him, surprised at how many he caught in his mouth and disgusted at how many he leaned down to lap up.

“Dude, get a bowl,” he chuckled, flipping through the movie channels to find a good one. “So Pete, as we search for a film, let us talk. Is Joe’s reasoning for your crankiness close to the target?”

Three pairs of eyes fell on him. He scowled and turned his head away.

“Maybe,” Andy muttered, remembering walking in on the two in the museum, “it’s not that he wants to ravish her. He’s just worried that seeing her while her father is here, who probably already assumes the two are dating, will further his suspicions. Which could prove bothersome, since he is, after all, with Ashlee. Taylor is, after all, a friend.”

“Thank you, Andy,” Pete nodded, and hurled a pillow at him when he added, “But he does, after all, want to have her.”

“You guys are so fucking immature,” he hissed, storming off and slamming the front door behind him to drone out the laughing voices. Angrily slouching into his car he sat for a moment, silently fuming and eventually pounding the steering wheel.

“Damn it, Tay,” he whispered, running his fingers down his face. He shook his head and yanked out his phone, quickly dialing a number and tapping his fingers on the wheel impatiently while he listened to the ring.

“Hello?” the groggy voice answered, quickly followed by a yawn.

“Hey, it’s me. You asleep?” he asked, pulling out of the driveway.

“No, just dozed off. I was watching a movie. What’s up?” she asked.

“Can I come over tonight? I want to see you,” he said, hating himself for the raw gruff lacing through his words.

She giggled, “Sure, c’mon over. Slumber party?” He gulped and nodded, pushing all guilty thoughts to the back of his mind.

“Slumber party. See you in ten, Ash.”

He flipped his phone shut and drove on until his thoughts were pushed all the way back, drowning Taylor and keeping her at bay. He was determined not to let himself fall in with her. No dreams tonight.

--

Taylor bit her lip and continued to focus on the sizzling bacon in the pan in front of her. Gerard sat at her kitchen table, shaking his head and rubbing his chin. “I don’t understand it, Katherine,” he sighed, his words muffled by his hand. “Why would Peter even do all this for us if you aren’t even together?”

Her cheeks burned and she quickly stepped away from the stove, worried that the spatula she’d just dropped would burn her somewhere else. “He’s a very good friend, Daddy,” she tried to say calmly. “All of the boys are. It’s just…what he does for friends, I suppose.”

Gerard snorted and sipped his coffee, pursing his lips in thought. He looked over at his stiff daughter and smirked. “You like him.” It wasn’t a question.

She gasped and quickly stepped back from the stove, throwing the finger she had just burned into her mouth. “No, I don’t,” she mumbled, hurrying over to the sink and turning on the cold water.

“He likes you.”

“He has a girlfriend. A famous girlfriend at that.”

“So?” Gerard asked. “What does it matter if she’s famous? I’ll bet you he likes you more.” He stood up to pour himself more coffee, passing her as she moped by the sink. “Give me five good reasons you think he isn’t even slightly attracted to you.”

Taylor bit her lip and glared down at her finger. “He’s with somebody,” she murmured, but he shook his head, signaling that didn’t count. She sighed and walked back over to the stove. “He’s famous,” she stated.

Gerard rolled his eyes. “That doesn’t mean he doesn’t like you.”

“Well, why not? I mean, he’s got fans all over the place. Women screaming that they want to have his babies. More money than I’ll ever make in a lifetime. When he has all that, why would he be interested in me? I’m just a girl with a flower.” She frowned and scooped the bacon out onto a plate.

Gerard sighed and set down his coffee mug. “Katherine,” he muttered, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. “Just because he has more than most people doesn’t mean he can’t like you. Maybe he gets tired of all that. Meeting you, someone who doesn’t make a big deal out of that, must be refreshing.”

Taylor nodded, not at all agreeing but more so hoping he would drop it, and placed the plate on the table. “I’m going to go take a shower. Go ahead and finish eating,” she mumbled, rolling back the sleeves of her sweatshirt as she walked out of the kitchen.

Gently closing the door to her room, Taylor threw a glance at her bed and the phone resting calmly in the center of the light green comforter. Her eyes quickly scanned the screen for any new messages, and with a sigh she tossed it against her pillow. Who was she expecting to message her so early in the morning anyway?

She waited until the bathroom was consumed by steam before she stepped into the shower, ducking her head under the spray and wetting her hair. The thick hair fogged her head, blocking her thoughts from running too wildly about anything in particular. She turned her back to the pounding hot water, lathering her arms in soap with her washcloth, and sighed.

The water ran sensually down her body, around every crevice and warming her cold skin. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back, imagining rough hands massaging her scalp and brushing all the shampoo out. A low hum rang gently in her ears, to the tune of one of her favorite songs. It was like it was being sung for only her to hear, softly and tenderly, and she couldn’t even feel the vibrations in her throat making them.

Her back muscles relaxed as the water massaged her, easing her tension and soothing her from her stress. She smiled and turned to face her masseur, stepping back from the spray of water, his name floating off her lips.

The moment her back hit the cold tile wall her eyes flung open. Her cheeks blazed and the heat coursing through her body snapped her back to attention. She sprung forward and tugged roughly on the faucet, forcing it to shoot freezing water over her. She yelped and yanked it the other way to a more moderate temperature, stepping back again and sinking to the slippery floor.

She hugged herself tightly, shaking her head to rid herself of the dangerous images racing through her mind. Her nails hurt as they dug into her arms, but they seemed to be the only things keeping her aware at the moment. The water drenched her already wet body and she shivered, burying her face in her knees.

It took her a while to realize the dampness around her eyes was not from the shower.

--

Pete woke up warily, not at all ready to meet the sight he knew he would have to face as soon as he rolled over. With a sigh that turned into a yawn, he decided he might as well suck it up, and he looked over to observe the slumbering woman beside him with her arms around his waist.

Her blonde hair delicately lay all around her head, the slight curls rolling up onto the pillow. Her eyelids fluttered as she entered the final stage of sleep before awaking. The small lips that used to hold such appeal for him parted slightly, like small rosebuds ready to open into beautiful flowers.

He winced and slid out of the bed.

He stumbled into her kitchen and ran his hand over his face, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to fully awaken. He’d barely slept last night, which wasn’t all Ashlee’s fault, but when he had, it hadn’t been the dreamless type he’d been counting on.

In his new dream he was back at the waterfall with Taylor, still in her innocent white and trusting smile. Every time he’d open him mouth to speak his throat would constrict and he couldn’t say anything, not even to gasp out in shock. Her sad eyes had watched him struggle, and her hands twitched to reach and help him, but some odd force was holding her as well and keeping her from him.

He heard Ashlee calling his name again, and he forced himself to keep looking at Taylor, fearing she would disappear like before. She smiled sadly at him and looked over his shoulder, her face quickly switching from despair to sincere politeness like she had practiced the change all her life. He glanced back once to see what held her attention and again saw nothing, but when he looked back to see Taylor she was still there.

The only problem was she was fading far too quickly. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was open in silent protest, begging him to not let her go. Her arms struggled to reach for him, but the force held her still. He wanted to scream out to her, to grab her hand and stop her from fading back into the stone behind her, but he couldn’t, and soon she was gone.

The water stopped flowing and the small pond quickly dried up, the small fish Taylor had adoringly played with flopping frantically on the bottom and then quickly stilling. The beautiful flowers that had surrounded her dropped, their stems drying and breaking, making the smooth, delicate petals hit the hard ground and shrivel into dust. The beautiful oasis disintegrated into a wasteland.

Pete shook his head and decided against fixing that pot of coffee he had been planning. The perfume scent of the house was suffocating him—he had to get out. He hurried back into the bedroom and tossed on his clothes, hesitating briefly and kneeling down beside Ashlee.

“Ash,” he whispered, gently shaking her shoulder. “Ashlee,” he said, a little louder, as she stirred.

Her eyes blinked several times in attempt to focus and when she saw him she smiled, reaching one hand up to stroke his cheek. “Morning Pete,” she whispered lovingly, giggling as the slight stubble tickled her palm.

He smiled despite himself and quickly became serious. “Listen babe, I gotta go. Patrick just called me. Something’s going on that he needs help with.”

She furrowed her eyebrows. “What’s wrong?”

He shrugged, “Probably nothing big. You know Patrick—makes a big deal out of everything.” He tried to swallow and found his throat too dry—she didn’t know Patrick, and that was not what he was like at all.

But she smiled. “Okay. Go take care of him.” He flashed a quick smile and pecked her forehead, pulling back to leave, but she held tightly to his neck and pulled him back down, pressing her lips harshly against his. He indulged her for a few minutes, and then pulled back. She smirked at him. “I love you,” she said.

His smile was very small and it hurt him to say it back. “I love you too,” he whispered, ruffling her hair and hurrying out of the room. Ashlee frowned after him, sitting up and leaning against her pillow. He’d talked in his sleep last night, and a certain girl’s name kept popping up.

And it hadn’t been hers.

--

Taylor kept her head down throughout most of lunch, too embarrassed to look at anyone after her weak moment in the shower. Of course, Gerard, Evan, and Hailey had no idea it had even happened, but there was still the fear that the look in her eyes would give her away. Rae sat happily at her side, blubbering random facts and attempts at conversation into her ear.

“So you’re going to the wedding now?” she asked through a mouthful of pasta, hurriedly wiping at the sauce dripping down her chin.

Taylor glanced up through her eyelashes and grimaced, nodding slightly. Rae grinned and started going on about how she was the maid of honor and was very pleased with Hailey’s choice of bridesmaid’s dresses. How the color suited her well, and how she hoped it wouldn’t make the old folks talk too much, since that’d be a major damper on the party. She was shocked when Taylor said she didn’t have an outfit yet.

“We’re going shopping,” she decided. Before Taylor could even open her mouth to protest she held up a hand and shook her head. “Nu-huh, we’re doing it. This is Hai’s big day—all the beautiful girls have to look beautiful.”

Taylor bit her lip and looked down at her plate. “I’m not so beautiful,” she murmured, poking her meatball with her fork. Rae stared at her until she looked up. “What? I’m not.”

“Have you looked in a mirror lately?” Rae demanded. “You’re flipping gorgeous. You’re like, a goddess or something.” She reached down for her purse and dug out her compact, popping it open and holding it up for Taylor to look in. “Let’s point out all your beautiful attributes, shall we?

“First off, your eyes. They are green. Not blue green, not green with a speck of brown, just GREEN. Gorgeous. Would make any guy want to gaze in them. Myself, I’m taken in by them a little too. Next.

“Your lips. They’re small and dainty and make the best smiles. It makes the world light up when you flash your teeth. Why? Cause you’re always genuine. You’re not fake. Guys like real smiles. So there.

“Your hair. It’s soft, it’s silky, and it’s red and natural. How often do you see that? Chemicals kill hair. Yours is lush with life. Makes a guy want to run his fingers through it, leaning closer and closer…until…”

She snapped the compact shut and Taylor jumped, blinking quickly as they scooted away from each other. Rae hoisted her purse over her shoulder and called down to Hailey, “Me and Taylor are going dress shopping. We’ll catch you later.” She turned to Taylor. “C’mon,” she ordered, standing up and walking for the front of the restaurant. Taylor opened her mouth and looked down at the others.

Her father smiled and waved her away. “Go ahead, sweetie. We’ll see you later.” Hailey and Evan both smiled and nodded, waving their farewells and insisting she not worry about the check.

“Better hurry,” Hailey warned. “Rae hates to be kept waiting.”

--

“I’m not sure about this…”

“Oh, hush up and let me see,” Rae sighed, tapping her foot impatiently. Taylor shook her head, turning to look at herself more.

“It’s really bad—“

“Taylor, I do not care. If I have to come in there, I will.”

“Fine! Hold on.” She sighed and brushed back her hair, pulling up the front of the dress in once last attempt. Shaking her head sadly she opened the door to the dressing room and stepped out, slightly hiding behind the wood to cover herself some. Rae pushed the door open more and looked her up and down, pursing her lips in thought.

“Hmm. It is kinda bad, huh?” she asked, nodding towards the waist that gave no shape at all. Taylor groaned and walked back into the dressing room, closing the door and ripping the dress over her head.

“This is the sixth one, Rae!” she exclaimed, sitting down on the small chair without bothering to get dressed, burying her face in her hands as she hunched over. “There’s no dress that will look good on me.” She glared at her purse as it started buzzing, reaching in and pulling out her phone. There was a new text.

“Calm down, little miss dramatics,” Rae called, observing a rack close by. “There’s one out there. We just have to keep looking!” She raised an eyebrow as she picked up one hanger, deciding if she thought she liked it or not.

“What was wrong with that first one?” Taylor asked, pushing the button to view her text. It was from Patrick, asking where she was and if she wanted to go to the movies with him and the guys. She texted him the address where she was and asked him to come pick her up. “That first one was nice.”

“That first one was ugly,” Rae corrected, strolling over with the new garment choice. “It was putrid, it held no shape, and I think it was once my grandmother’s.” She held the dress over the door. “Try this one,” she ordered.

Taylor sighed and grabbed it without even looking at it. “Will I even know anybody else at the wedding?” she asked, pulling it over her head. She scrunched her nose as she turned to look in the mirror, instantly disliking the color.

“I think Fall Out Boy is invited. You know, since they’re signing us or whatever. So you know them,” Rae sighed, picking at her cuticles and tapping her foot impatiently. Hailey was right when she said her friend didn’t like to be kept waiting. Taylor stepped out of the dressing room in her normal clothes. “What the hell? Get back in there and put that on.”

“It looked bad. Anyway, it’s not Fall Out Boy’s label, it’s Pete’s.” She carefully hung all her dresses on the dressing room rack and exhaled. Her eyes darted once more around the store, searching to see anything that popped out at her.

Rae smirked. “Oh, yes, it’s Pete’s. Of course you’d know.” Taylor sent her a look, and she held up her hands in defense. “Hey now, no need for mean scowls. I insinuated nothing.”

Taylor rolled her eyes and looked past Rae at the door, smiling as she saw Patrick and Joe stroll in. “Of course. Now excuse me, my saviors have arrived.” They smiled as they walked up to her. Her smile widened when she noticed Rae instantly become silent the minute Patrick entered her eyesight.

“Ready to go Tay?” Patrick asked. His eyes looked briefly over at Rae but he quickly focused back on Taylor. She smiled.

“Sure. Do you mind if Rachel comes along too, though?” she asked.

“Rae,” Rae snapped, jumping when the men turned to look at her. She quickly regained her composure and stuck out her hand. “It’s Rae,” she smiled softly, directed specifically towards Patrick. He gulped.

“Sure she can,” Joe lisped, staring at the hand-clasped couple warily. “Let’s just get going. Pete and Andy are meeting us there.”

Taylor ignored the look Rae sent her and merely nodded, following Joe sulkily outside, knowing Rae’s whispers to Patrick were not those of a lover, but a scheming leech.