‹ Prequel: Follow You Home

Coming Under Fire

Chapter Eleven

Its midnight when John finally arrives. He knocks once on the door and I quickly go to answer it. We regard each other as he comes in silently, reminding me that we havent seen each other since our huge fight and breakup.
"You okay?" He asks.
"Yeah, I'm fine." He nods, then looks up at Dominic, who has joined us in the kitchen. They dont embrace. Both of them are all business tonight.
"What happened with Plumerri?" John asks.
"He snuck up on Izzy in the lot, pulled a gun on her, so she told him about the Irish. Then they called me." John's eyes flicker to me for a second in concern.
"As soon as I got here, I got Izzy, then told Plumerri the deal with Leary, abbreiviated of course, and told him to forget you and Izzy."
"What did he say?"
"Said he was going to look into it, and that he would consider it."
"We need to figure out who he's fucking working for."
"He's not stupid, he's covering his tracks. And he's not going to fall for a bug in his coat pocket."

"So whats the deal with Leary?" Dom asks.

"He's reporting to the Burkes. I've listened to over twenty conversations between him and Papa Burke."

"Who are the Burkes?" I ask.

"The Burkes are the biggest Irish mob syndicate on the east coast. They operate out of Boston Proper, but they run a good chunk of New York, New Jersey and all along the coast. I have a working relationship, but we tend to stay out of each others way. That and they've never seemed interested in Lawrence and the import/export business we do here. Apparently that has changed." Dom explains.

"Yeah, as in they want to move in on Scully's operation and take over." John says.

"Tell me about that." Dom says, turning his attention away from me.

"Sr Burke has hired Leary to get the goods on Scully's operation at the docks. As we suspected, they were the ones to come in after the shootout and scoop up all the inventory. I've also gathered they weren't the ones to frame me, it just works for them. They have no idea that anyone could be on to them. And it sounds like they're planning another op soon, something smaller."

Dom glances over at me and I can see him thinking. Him and John are both looking at each other, and I know John well enough to know he's holding back.

"What?" I ask. They both look at me.

"Nothing. That's all I know." I'm instantly pissed off, but I don't say anything. He knows how I hate being played for a fool. I mean, I'm already in this far, why not include me in the rest?

"You're trying to tell me that the Burkes don't know who Plumerri is working for? How did they know when to come in then? Dumb luck?" I ask. John shrugs one shoulder, non commital. I shake my head, biting my lip.

Dom pushes himself off the counter and walks over to me. He gives me a kiss on the forehead.

"Call me if Plumerri comes back, or if anything fishy happens at all."

"OK."

He gives John a pat on the shoulder and quietly leaves the apartment. John and I stare at each other for a moment.

"Is there any way I can take a shower? I feel nasty." He asks.

"Knock yourself out. There are clothes of yours in the dresser." He nods, then makes his way into my bedroom. A minute later, I hear the shower turn on.

I clean up the beer bottles from the counter and put them under the sink and turn the tv off in the living room. I hear the shower turn off right as I go to turn the kitchen light off. I flip the light off and someone knocks on my door. I tip toe over to the door and peek out the peephole and see Frank standing outside. I quietly back away from the door and sprint to the bedroom. John is just walking out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist when I come in. He looks up at me and I motion to the door and mouth Frank's name. He nods and motions for me to answer it. I nod and walk out, pulling the bedroom door closed behind me. I open the door and Frank looks up at me.

"Sorry, did I wake you?"

"Yeah, but it was a good thing, I fell asleep on the couch. What are you doing here?" I ask, faking a yawn.

"I was working in the neighborhood, I saw your lights on, so I thought I'd check in."

"Oh, come in." I move back, not glancing back at the bedroom for even a second.

"I can't stay, I'm beat. This case has been a 24/7 deal and I'm ready for it to be over."

"Is this that undercover thing?"

"Yeah."

"So you can't talk about it."

"No."

"Hmm." He looks around the apartment and my palms start sweating.

"Still no word from John?" He asks.

"No, it's like he's fallen off the face of the earth. I don't know what to think anymore." I say. He has his cop face turned on, but I can see his older brother sympathy in his eyes.

"It'll all work out, sis." He says, giving me a one armed hug.

"You better get home, get some sleep." I tell him.

"Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow."

"OK. Love you."

We say goodbye and I shut and lock the door. John waits a full minute before emerging from the bedroom, fully dressed in jeans and a black tee shirt. His dark brown hair is still wet from the shower. He's been wearing a little longer on top and buzzed short in the back and at the sides, but it's longer now than he would prefer it. He did shave in the shower, which means he used my razor. The idea of it feels so domestic and makes it seem like we're a lot closer than we are at the moment. I can smell my soap and the steam wafting off of him and it sends a little rush of heat through my body as my mind takes inventory of every muscle in his body. I shake my head and look away from him, trying to distract myself.

"So, I take it you heard all of that." I say.

"Yeah."

"He wants me to turn you in. He knows I'm lying to him."

"Why don't you?" It takes me a minute to come up with an answer.

"Because no matter what happens between us, you're my partner. We have each others backs. You'd take a bullet for me and I'd do the same. You're my family and I love you. And even if we're never together again, which is probably not a possibility, but you'll always mean something to me." He looks up at me with a small smile playing at the corner of his mouth.

"We're always gonna have unfinished business, Cupcake."

"Yeah, something like that."

"Then I won't jepordize the good thing we've got going on by trying to seduce you right now." I roll my eyes and he grins.

"Where are you staying, anyways?" I ask.

"Here and there."

"Not here."

"No." He's suddenly right in front of me and I look up at him, his scent taking my breath away.

"See you soon, Cupcake." he says, his lips brushing against mine.

"Be careful."

"You too." he starts for the door, then stops and pulls a piece of paper out of his pocket.

"I got a new number too by the way." He hands me the paper.

I watch him leave and then lock up again. I glance up at the clock. It's two o' clock and I'm exhausted. I flip the lights off and hop into bed, but once I'm there I can't stop thinking about the private glances between John and Dom and the feeling that there is something they're not telling me. I don't like the thought that they're hiding something from me, and not just for the reason that I don't like being out of the loop. I feel like there's more to the story, and I've also been getting that vibe from Frank, but I don't know where he fits in, and besides, he's got that big case of his, so he probably doesn't know much.

By three thirty I'm still awake and I have a headache. New thoughts of John have me all hot and bothered. I throw the sheets off my body and let the ceiling fan blow cool air over me. I consider moving somewhere quiet where there are no hot men to keep me awake, and no crazy mobsters stalking me. Perhaps New Hampshire, or maybe Michigan. Or maybe I could get a condo in Florida. Of course I would need a whole new career to afford a condo in Florida. I consider my career options. I could go to school to do hair. Or maybe I could open a private detective agency and make a living off housewives hiring me to see if their husbands are cheating.

At six thirty, I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing in the other room...
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, this one is lame. I needed to update though. Comments are so appreciated!