‹ Prequel: To Live and Let Go
Status: Enjoy! c:

Long Live Us

Long Live Us

Just Imagine...

It's an exhilarating feeling to know that you're not alone, that someone actually cares about your every thought and feeling, and it's just as intense to feel that way about someone else. Jack Barakat has made it obvious that he likes you, or at least cares, and the emotion is mutual.

Neither of you say much on the way home, but it's a comfortable silence, like you're both satisfied with what's been said.

You eventually give him directions to your house, and the moment you've been dreading arrives when he pulls into your driveway and you have to say goodbye.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye," you sigh as you gather your bookbag and other belongings.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah?"

"You're beautiful. Please don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. I can't stress it enough, seriously," he tells you.

The blush creeps up your cheeks and you whisper, "Thank you."

"So, um, I was wondering if you might wanna hang out tomorrow after school?" He asks.

You grin. "Of course," you agree, happy to have plans for once. You exchange phone numbers. "So I guess I'll see you tomorrow?"

"Yep."

"Alright. Goodbye, Jack," you say as you open the car door and step out.

"See ya," he calls before you shut the door and make your way to the porch of your house. You turn around and wave goodbye as Jack pulls away, then feel like an idiot for making such a childish gesture. Oh, well. Jack is a kid anyway.

You open the door to find your mother waiting for you in the foyer with her arms crossed and hip out. She doesn't look happy. She looks pissed, in fact. Here we go, you figure.

"Where the hell have you been?" She asks dangerously.

You guess you should probably tread lightly to get through this. "Out," you say, much more bluntly than you intended.

"No shit," she says, nostrils flaring. "I got a phone call as soon as I walked through the door saying that you were at school up until lunch, and that you skipped the last part of the day. What the hell were you thinking?"

"Mom," you plead desperately. "I just needed some time to think. I needed to get away."

"Well, you're going to have a lot of time to think this weekend. You're grounded."

"Mom!"

"What?"

"I was going to hang out with Jack tomorrow," you tell her.

"Who's Jack?" She asks, throwing her hands up in the air.

"A...friend. A really good friend," you say cautiously.

Your mom's expression turns to one of fury. "Were you out messing around with some boy today?"

"We weren't messing around, mom. We went out to eat and then we came home. That was it, I promise," you beg.

"Right," she says sarcastically. "You aren't hanging out with him tomorrow, and that's final."

"But-"

"No! It's settled. You're grounded for the rest of the week," she says. You can tell by her tone that she isn't going to budge, so you just storm downstairs to your room.

Once in your room, you flop down onto your bed and start to cry. Today's been an emotional roller coaster ride for you. First the mishaps of this morning, then being so happy with Jack, to your mom not even taking into consideration that you're a perfectly honorable kid who would never just go from straight A's to fooling around with guys. It's such a load of shit. You've never done anything wrong, yet they still don't trust you. You're the poster-child that every parent wants, yet here are yours, scrutinizing every wrong move you make. It gets old.

You just don't know what to do. After making your first real friend in a really long time, let alone a boy, and you can't even hang out with him. Typical that it just had to happen to you. Well, as they say, what goes up must come down. Your day made a complete 360 degrees with Jack, and then it literally turned right back around when you walked through the door.

The tears are short-lived, just enough to get what was needed out of your system. As you wipe them you remember your car. "Shit," you say hysterically. "Of course, I fuckin' forget my car of all things," you mutter to yourself. Figuring you'll have to tell your mom anyway, you get up and head upstairs.

"Mom?"

"Yeah?" She seems to have calmed down a bit.

"Um, Jack and I took his car and he dropped me off, so my car's still at the school," you say, flinching already in anticipation of the lecturing that was surely about to go down.

But your mom just sighs. "Can I just ask you WHY you skipped?"

"I just had a really bad start to the day, and I needed to just have a breather, so Jack suggested we just get away, so that's what we did."

"Well, what happened this morning?" She asks, a bit more concerned now.

You recount the events of the day, and as you go on, her face shows sympathy, and then she actually smiles when you tell her about the pancake shack.

When you've finished, she looks a lot more empathetic.

"I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh, honey. I was just concerned about what you were doing. You're just growing up so fast," she says as she comes over to give you a hug. You hug her back, but it's a bit awkward. Hugging her has been since like, fifth grade when your dad left.

"So, um. Could you possibly take me to the school to pick up my car?"

"You can take the bus to school tomorrow," she tells you.

You sigh. "Do I have to?"

"Actually, here's a new option. You're either grounded for the next week or you can take the bus to and from school for the rest of this week, it's your choice," she suggests.

It's only Monday, but you'd rather take the smelly bus than miss hanging out with Jack tomorrow. "I'll take the bus. But can I still hang out with Jack tomorrow?"

Your mom gives you a daring look. "You can ask me about making plans with him later this week. So, tomorrow you'll ride the bus to school and drive home, but other than that you'll be riding the bus," she says.

"'Kay," you say somberly and get up to head back down to your room.

Whatever. You figure you'd might as well just go along with it without an attitude and see if you can get off the hook early for good behavior. You mom is like a prison guard sometimes.

You flop down on your bed again and pull your phone out of your pocket. Figuring you should probably let Jack know about tomorrow's cancellation, you find his contact and hit dial.

He picks up after the second ring. "Hello?"

"Hey, Jack, it's Y/N," you say a bit awkwardly.

"Oh, hey! I wasn't expecting to hear from you so soon. Did you forget something?"

You snort. "Yeah, my car."

"Oh...I'm sorry, I should've dropped you off back at school. Do you want me to pick you up so you can get it?" He offers.

"No, no, I'll just get it tomorrow. I have to ride the bus anyway," you say, rolling your eyes.

"Alright. So are we still good to hang out tomorrow?" He asks cheerily.

"Actually," you sigh, "that's what I was calling about. I'm not necessarily grounded, but I did get into a bit of trouble for skipping, so I can't hang tomorrow."

"Aw, that's too bad. I'm sorry for even suggesting it if this is the result. I was really looking forward to hanging out," he says, sounding a bit disappointed.

"No, it's fine. I wasn't really thinking about the consequences, and that came back to bite me in the butt. Oh well. Maybe this weekend," you suggest.

"Yeah," you can practically hear him smiling. "Yeah, this weekend sounds great."

*****

*About one year later*

"Jack! C'mon, we're gonna be late!" You laugh as you pull on his hand, trying to drag him out the front door, but it's hopeless.

"Hold on! I just have a few hairs to make sure are in place," he says as he looks in the mirror and runs his fingers up the front of his skunk hair.

You roll your eyes and put your hands on your hips. "Jackary Bassam Barakat, this is our graduation. If you make me late, may the Lord help me, I will-"

He throws one of his signature laughs at you. "Y/N, first of all, it's not 'Jackary,' and secondly, we still have like, an hour before it starts," he tells you assuringly.

You look at him doubtingly. "I just don't want to be late," you say as you cross your arms.

"Y/N," he says, looking you right in the eyes. "I will not make you late. This is the last of our high school memories, and I want it to be the best one. I don't have as many with you as I'd like, so I want to make this count. So, we won't be late. I. Promise. You."

You realize just how lucky you are to have Jack as a best friend and boyfriend. He's been by your side through thick and thin, and you know that he always will be.

You just stare back into his eyes, getting lost in their playfulness before saying with a grin, "Damn right, we won't be late."

He rolls his eyes and you squeal as he lifts you up into a bear hug before throwing you over his shoulder. "Ahhh! Haha, Jack! Put me down!"

"No, you know I'm never gonna let you go," he says as he carries you out the door and sets you down into the passenger seat of his Corolla.

"Mhmm," you say.

"Y/N! Y/N! Pictures! I need pictures of you and Jack!" Your mom calls as she scurries after you with a camera.

You let out a giggle and get out of the car, Jack following behind you. You head over to the tree in your front yard, the designated spot for pre-anything pictures. You stand there smiling as Jack comes up behind you and picks you up bridal style. He kisses you quickly on the nose before saying quietly, "I love you."

You hear the snap of the camera, along with a few sniffles. Glancing over towards your mom, you see that she's silently just bawling her eyes out. "Mom.."

"I'm sorry! I know I promised that I wouldn't cry, but my God, you've just grown up so fast," she smiles through her tears. You hop out of Jack's arms and go over to hug her.

"I'm not leaving just yet," you say, and you feel the tears prickling behind your own eyes.

You and Jack decided that near the end of the summer you'd pack up and head out and drive off into the sunset, pursuing your dreams of becoming an artist and traveling the world. You'll escape through the window, head for the car and never look back if that's what it comes to. Neither of you have any solid plans, but you both know how to make it. Your mom has been weepy ever since you told her, but you know she would've been the same if you had chosen college. You plan on going at some point, but not just yet.

"Oh, don't you start crying too. I don't want you ruining your makeup," your mom fusses.

You let out a chuckle and sniffle. Jack genuinely smiles as you walk back to him. Your mom catches a few more cute pictures, as well as some normal ones, and then you hop in your cars and head towards the school.

Jack flicks at the dashboard clock. "See? We still have half an hour," he grins.

You scowl playfully.

"You ready for your speech?" He asks.

You nod, although you're pretty nervous. You're not valedictorian by any means, but you were nominated to write a speech, and so you did.

"I can't wait to hear it," Jack says giddily. He's practically dancing in his seat as he drives. Jack's had senioritis since the first day of senior year, and he's made that very clear throughout the year. He was the one to come up with your class's senior prank.

All of your fellow students are piling themselves under the stadium while the families pack themselves into the stadium when you arrive at the school. You head through the chain link fence and find your spot. Jack of course is up by the B's, so you can't exactly be by him considering the fact that it's in alphabetical order.

First, the teachers make their way out onto the field when it's time, and then the Honors students go to their spots, and then the rest of you find yours.

A couple teachers say their speeches, and then the superintendent makes his way up and says what he has to, and then everyone walks up to be handed their diplomas.

After everyone makes their way back to their spot, Honor student after Honor student make speeches, until finally it's your turn. You stand up and make your way up to the podium. Your heart is pounding, about ready to burst out of your chest, and you're beginning to rethink your decision to do this. Shit, what if you royally fuck up? God, everyone will laugh and just remember you as the fuck-up at graduation. But once you're up there, you spot Jack and he gives you a big grin. It's the only thing that seems to be calming you down, so you focus on him and begin.

"Well, here we are," you start out shakily. Jack smiles and gives you the tiniest of a nod. You smile back. "It's funny, you know. We're the last of the classes to grow up knowing that Pluto was a normal planet, that Australia was the name of the country AND the continent. We were the first kids who begged their parents for an iPod touch when it first came out. Who had to teach their grandparents how to even use a touch screen. We have felt the hardships of life too soon. We went through the "emo" phase before it was a fad. Who grew up with Barney and Clifford the Big Red Dog. Who went from being obsessed with the Jonas Brothers to Justin Bieber to blink-182. We had to live through the "Twilight" pandemonium, started liking Eminem AFTER Recovery. We watched Hannah Montana grow up and become more like Britney than anybody wanted to see. We grew up along with the Harry Potter cast and will feel them to be those characters for the rest of their lives. So here's to us, the kids who will cherish each and every one of these precious memories, because it's all that's left of it. Good luck, everyone, and congratulations!"

When you finish, everyone applauds and you smile widely. Jack is standing and clapping proudly, and you're sure your face is beat red. You step down from the podium and walk back to your seat, with everyone still whooping and hollering for your speech. The class treasurer walks up and gives her speech, and finally, the awaited moment arrives.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you the class of 2016. We did it!" She squeals.

And at that, everyone stands up and throws their caps in the air. You smile crazily and notice Jack making his way over to you. He lifts you up in a bone crushing hug and you laugh giddily.

"We're done!" You exclaim.

"I know! I can't believe it!" He says in disbelief.

He looks at you excitedly, and for a moment it's just you and him, no crazy graduates surrounding you. Just the two of you, ready to start your lives, together. He cups your cheeks in his hands and leans down to kiss you passionately amidst the roar of the crowd.

When he pulls away he looks you in the eyes and smiles and says, "I love you," and in that simple moment, that circumstance, you know you've found your forever.

"Are you ready to get out of here?" You ask.

"Are you kidding me? I've been going crazy and I don't wanna waste another minute here," he says as he pulls you off the football field. Once back over by his car, you take his hands in your own and smile. He leans his forehead against yours and presses his lips to your own. It's a sweet moment, one you know you'll never forget. He's holding up two window markers when you look up and he says, "Let's do this shit."

You laugh and take one. You go to the back window and write in huge and fancy letters "JACK + Y/N SENIORS 2016 LONG LIVE US."

Jack comes up from behind you and wraps his arms around your waist, resting his chin on your shoulder. "I like it," he says simply.

"Me too," you agree and kiss him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this not long after I wrote To Live And Let Go, but I wasn't sure if it would do it justice. Please comment and let me know what you think!