Status: ACTIVE!!! :D

Neverending Game

3

“Oh God, Vic.” I said, more alert. I turned around completely. “I need to find him. Thank you both for helping me along and saving me from the Careers. May the odds be ever in your favor.” I said, finishing with a gesture of good luck: touching three fingers to my chest and extending them forwards. Jack and Alex nodded and did the same.

I ran away towards the edge of the forest. I felt kind of guilty leaving Jack and Alex, but I made sure not to worry. They had each other, and they could protect themselves. But Vic was alone. I had to go find him.

I broke into a run across the open field where the Cornucopia was; still large, still stained with blood. I looked for the tree that Vic and I were in before. When my eyes found it, Vic wasn’t there. I hadn’t heard a cannon blast, so he was still alive. I sprinted into the forest.

I looked at the dagger in my hand. It made me sick to my stomach that this dagger would soon be stained with the blood of another tribute. I shivered. I ran past the tree where we sat. Did I dare call his name? The Careers were on the other side of the forest, anyway. It would take them a long time to get over here, and I’d be long gone by the time they arrived.

“Vic?” I called quietly. “Vic, I’m alive. Vic?” I tiptoed through the dead and dying leaves. “Vic!” I whispered. Suddenly, I heard a gasp. “Kellin?” I heard Vic’s shocked voice. I was filled with relief. “Vic, where are you?” I asked. “Up here,” I heard him say. I looked up, and turned around. He was perching in an old willow tree. I smiled in relief. “Kellin, I thought you died.” Vic said, choking back tears. I shook my head. “No, I’m not dead. I’m okay. It was Jaimie from District 6.” I said. “Climb up here.” Vic said.

I grabbed ahold of a stray branch and climbed my way up to Vic. I popped up beside him, and he smiled. I sat next to him on his branch. “Where’d you get the dagger from? I thought you said the Cornucopia was empty.” Vic said. “The guys from District 8 gave it to me. I met them in the woods.” I explained. Vic nodded. “From now on, we stay together.” He said, placing his hand on mine. I blushed slightly at his touch, and nodded. “Together,” I said. “Together.”

Suddenly, we heard another cannon blast. I looked at the sky, as did Vic. “Sam Bettley, District 11,” Vic said. I sighed. Seven down, seventeen to go. We sat in silence. “We need to get food.” Vic said, breaking the silence. I looked at him and nodded. “Together.” I said. Vic smiled. He took his hand away from mine and leapt out of the tree, landing perfectly on his feet. I slid down, hanging from a limb. I then let go and landed next to Vic.

“There should be a river around here somewhere. Let’s go.” I said. Vic nodded, and we headed off in the direction opposite the Cornucopia. We walked in silence, hoping no other tributes would hear us. Suddenly, we screeched to a stop. The remaining tribute from District 9, Zack, was standing in our path, shakily holding a spear. “Peace!” Vic said, throwing his hands in the air.

I silently laid my dagger down on the ground, showing that I wouldn’t hurt him. Zack was shaking, loosening his grip on the spear. What happened next was totally unexpected. He knelt down and started to cry, dropping his weapon. “Are you okay?” Vic asked rhetorically. As expected, the tribute shook his head. “Why did they have to kill Rian?” he asked through tears. “Was he your brother?” I asked. The tribute nodded, sobbing.

It must have been terrible to lose a sibling here. I don’t know what I would’ve done if Katelynn was picked at the reaping. She probably would’ve died at the Cornucopia… she’s not the strongest of twelve-year-olds. Vic knelt down by the crying tribute. “Get away from me!” he growled, picking up his spear and pointing the razor-sharp edge at Vic’s neck. “Vic!” I said. I got down next to him and put my arm between him and the spear.

“Just walk away.” I whispered in his ear. Vic nodded. We slowly stood up and inched around Zack. He was growling and pointing the spear at us as we maneuvered around him. Suddenly, the jeering and shouting of the careers met our ears. “Oh, God!” Vic said. “Run!” And we ran. We ran for our lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love you all!! Thanks for loving the story!!

Deaths this chapter:
Sam Bettley: Asking Alexandria