Written in the Stars

Aura

n. A luminous spiritual atmosphere or halo made up of subtle energy fields: patterns of energy, vibrating at interwoven frequencies and intensities. These comprise, surround and interpenetrate the body-mind through several levels of consciousness.

The crisp, cool autumn air greeted me after class. Recently, I had been learning how to channel the elemental power inside of me and control it. The task wasn't easy, considering I didn't even know there was anything magical about me until a few months ago. I wasn't very good at the whole inner energy thing yet, but I was trying. Some of the other students in my class could already cause waves in their little tanks of water, and I couldn't even stir up a ripple. They were probably just early bloomers. Maybe if I practiced in my free time, I'd get the hang of it.

After adjusting the strap of my bag so it wouldn't dig into my shoulder, my caffeine craving began to cry out for attention. The chilly October air had seeped through my soft, champagne-colored sweater and was beginning to make my body shiver. A steaming cup of coffee to wrap my fingers around was starting to sound like the best idea I'd had all day. I pulled my sleeves over my hands and walked down the cobblestone path that would lead me to the campus café.

Wind whispered through my hair right as I reached my destination. With one hand already on the café's door handle, which was devoid of all heat and thus worsening my cold hand situation, I tossed a glance behind me. My eyes had the pleasure of watching my friend, Astrid, stumble on the walkway slightly as she pranced over to me. "Bailey!" She called out my name, grinning. Astrid threw out her arms and enveloped me in a snugly hug. While my face was buried in her silky blonde hair, I breathed in her familiar cherry blossom scent.

As I was hugging her back, I noticed her body was just a cold as mine, if not colder. Then a thought ran through my mind. The air was still today, not windy. "Was that you stirring up my hair?" I asked in a jokingly accusative tone.

We released one another, and Astrid nodded, a guilty grin on her lips. "Maybe," she chuckled. "Or maybe it was the wind." She twirled a strand of her hair around and pretended to be clueless, however, the glint in her slate gray eyes revealed the mischievous inner child she was attempting to conceal. I crossed my arms and stared at her with an mhm-sure-it-was-the-wind look until she cracked up. "Okay, guilty," she giggled.

I laughed with her, "You're getting better Breezy." I had grabbed onto the door handle again, covering my hand with my sleeve this time so as not to let my skin touch the cold metal, and was pulling the door open. "I was about to grab some coffee," I told her. "Care to join?"

"I was just on my way to do the same! Let's go," Astrid said with a chipper smile and hooked her arm in mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've always been intrigued by astrology, so I decided to infuse it with a story! I'm just testing the waters and getting to know some of the characters in the first few chapters. They will get longer, I promise :)