Written in the Stars

Blue Moon

n. When a Full Moon occurs twice in the same sign in any given year, the second of the two Full Moons is called a Blue Moon.

The café was bustling with activity. Students of various years were grabbing a bite to eat, studying, honing their skills, or just hanging out, creating a comforting buzz throughout the large, open room. Above me and Astrid, I noticed our other best friend, Shawn, up on the second floor balcony. He had noticed us, too.

"My babies!" I heard his voice over the steady murmur of the place. His megawatt grin could be seen from where we were on the first floor.

I smiled up at him and gave him a little wave, while Astrid made exaggerated come-here motions with her arms. "Shawn!" she yelled, "Get your tush down here!"

He obeyed, descended the staircase, and came over to us, draping his muscular arms around our shoulders. "How are my girls doin'?" Shawn asked, looking down at each of us. He was at least a head taller than both Astrid and me. As kids, us girls had been the taller ones, but that changed once Shawn hit puberty. By now, we had gotten used to being his armrests. At least, I had accepted it.

"We're good," Astrid said, while pulling his arm off of her shoulders, "Bailey and I were about to go get coffee."

Shawn only pouted for a moment, since he knew she'd never let him use her as an armrest. He pulled my body closer to his and said to Astrid, "Whatever, Bailey's shoulders are comfier anyway. You're too tall-Don't be mad Bae, guys love shorter girls," he added once he noticed me squinting up at him with my lips pursed.

I looked to the floor and told myself, "Five foot five is not short..." I just had tall friends.

Astrid stifled a snicker. "Hun, you are a bit short," she informed me with a smile, "But, he's right, guys love it!"

"Right," I laughed. "Well, I'm still cold... so let's get coffee," I said, reminding the two of our primary objective.

Image


"Okay, now put the fire out." Shawn, Astrid, and I were hanging out in the living room of my dorm room. My roommates were still out and about, so the three of us were practicing our skills. Well, Astrid and Shawn had skills. Me, not so much.

Shawn was holding his arm out to me and pointing upward with his index finger. A tiny red flame hovered above his finger, and I was supposed to douse it. He was already able to flicker his fire on and off, as if each of his fingers were lighters. My attempts to put out the flame had been failing so far.

"My arm's getting tired," Shawn told me.

I could see his arm beginning to tremble. "I'm sorry," I sighed, "I'm trying, I really am..." I was disappointed in myself. It was such a simple task, and I couldn't even do it. "Maybe the tests were wrong," I said, looking down at my hands. "Maybe I'm not Active."

With a flick of her fingers, Astrid sent a small gust of air through Shawn's flame and put it out. He put his arm down and flexed his hand a few times. They both looked at me with concern in their eyes. Astrid put her hand on my back and rubbed it in a comforting way. "The tests are never wrong Bae," she said. "You have it in you, you just haven't figured out how to tap into it yet."

"Exactly," Shawn chimed in. "And, who knows, maybe water is harder to control than air or fire. It is the most unpredictable after all. Always flowing this way or that, following its own current.. Our elements are pretty straightforward."

"Maybe.." Although I still doubted myself completely, I didn't want to dampen their moods, so I put on a hopeful face. "I'll figure it out, all in good time," I told them with a smile. I really hoped what I'd just said would turn out to be true.