Written in the Stars

Cosmos

n. The universe conceived as an orderly, harmonious system. All that exists in time and space including spectra of light, forces of bodies, cycles of the elements — life, intelligence, memory, record and dimensions beyond physical perception.

My hands were shaking. My forehead was knitted in concentration, and I had been trying to channel any energy I had through my outstretched arms for the last ten minutes. All I created so far was frustration. The shaking in my hands became painful, so, with an angry "hmph", I dropped them to my side. The tremors in my hands slowly subsided, while I gave the tank of water that sat in front of me the evil eye. The only assignment I had in this class was to make that water move, and I just couldn't do it. Channeling energy through my hands wasn't working. And apparently glaring at it wasn't doing jack shit either.

"You know," a velvety voice began speaking from beside me, "You look adorable when you're mad like that."

My eyes snapped away from my tank of water and to the source of the voice. Realizing I was only eye level with this guy's broad shoulders, I adjusted my gaze upward and was met with two piercing blue eyes. His hair was thick and dark brown, almost black, contrasting with his light, freckled skin. I narrowed my eyes at him for calling me adorable, but then sighed and stared at the water on the table hopelessly. I gestured to the tank and opened my mouth to speak, but the guy said the words for me.

"I can't get my water to do anything either," he told me. He gave a shrug, which told me that this was something he had gotten used to. "Not even a ripple."

My first reaction was to be happy that I wasn't the only one in the class having a hard time with this. But I also felt bad that this guy was having the same problem as me. "I don't know why I'm having a problem with this," I said, turning my gaze back to the water so I could continue glaring at it.

He was going to say something in response, but the professor chose that exact moment to stop in front of our tables. Professor Reid was always strolling around the room, offering advice here and there, observing the progress of her students. A small smile made its way to her face as she looked between me and the blue-eyed boy.

Her eyes crinkled in delight. "Bailey... Kenneth." I could tell she was formulating a plan. "I have an assignment for the both of you," Professor Reid told us, and clasped her hands together in that I'm-about-to-present-something-to-you way. "Since you two seem to have the same struggles with making that first ripple, I want you to spend some time together outside of class and work on that first step together!"
She seemed pleased with her idea. "I want you two to work with one another each day, even on the days we don't have class," she added, pointing her finger at the two of us. "And report back to me with your progress!" She grinned. "Okay?" Professor Reid waited for us to answer, as if we had a choice in the matter.

Kenneth and I exchanged looks. I shrugged and said, "Sure why not?"

The hint of a smile appeared on Kenneth's face. "That sounds like a good idea, Professor," he said.

The professor gave us each a smile and nodded. "Good!" She said, "I'll be looking forward to those reports." And with that, she continued her stroll around the room, leaving Kenneth and me to ourselves.

I watched him run a hand through his messy hair. He was looking at the floor, a little smile on his lips.
"So..." I said, causing him to look up at me, which, as it turned out, was technically still looking down for him.

Kenneth met my gaze and said, "So, now that I know your name, Bailey," he paused to give me a cute little smirk, "can I get your number? You know, to schedule when we can meet up." He pulled out his cell phone and held it out to me.

I looked at it blankly. "Hmm? Oh," I laughed at myself for not understanding, "of course." I traded phones with him and put myself in his contacts.

We gave each other our phones back just as Professor Reid was telling the class the period was over and we could be on our merry ways. I wasn't sure of how I should say goodbye to Kenneth, since I had only just met him. I turned to him and had a hand up in the air like I had something to say. "Uhm... Well-" I didn't actually have anything to say.

Kenneth smiled and said, "I'll call you," before walking away.

I stood there with my mind blank, before remembering I was supposed to meet up with Astrid and Shawn for lunch.

Image


"Wait, his name is Kenneth, and he's a water sign?" Astrid questioned around a mouthful of her philly cheese steak sub.
Shawn, Astrid, and I decided to meet up at the Subway on campus. We all grabbed something to eat and found a nice little table by the windows to chill. Between bites, we discussed our days with each other. I had just told them about my new "partner" in my water-bending class. It was really called Channeling 101: Water Division, but no one ever called it that.

"Yeah, why?" I asked, sipping on my lemonade.

"Because Kenneth means 'born of fire'."

I almost asked her how she knew something like that, but then I remembered that her last boyfriend's name was Kenneth. And they were together for a long time.

"Huh. That's weird," I said.

"Speaking of fire," Shawn started, his mouth full of meatball sub, "I think this chick in my fire-bending class likes me."

"Oooh, what's her name?" Astrid put down her sub and gave Shawn her undivided attention. She loved to play matchmaker.

"Phoenix," he told Astrid. "But I mean like, she won't leave me alone," he added, looking at me, because he knew I'd understand his discomfort in the situation, whereas Astrid would just think it's cute.

"Awh," Astrid cooed, "She has a crush on you!"
Shawn and I shared a glance.

"Uhh, maybe she's a creepy stalker?" I suggested.

But it was too late. Astrid was already 'involved'. "You two should hang out! I wanna meet her," she grinned knowingly at Shawn, who just put his head in his hands and laughed, shaking his head while doing so.
♠ ♠ ♠
As new characters appear in the story, I will be adding them to the characters page! :)