Airplanes

Unaware

The next morning I showered early, knowing I needed to get to the venue earlier than most of the other guests, and I took a cab less than a mile to my brother’s condo. I left a note, blaming the wedding on my sudden departure.

‘You leave Sunday Emily, get your fucking shit together.’ I silently warned myself in the mirror as I popped 4 Advil and a Gatorade. I hopped in the shower silently reminding myself what I needed to throw in my bag, the just in case items. I wanted to throw my head through the glass door it hurt so badly.

“Em?” I heard my brother say as I put on my jeans, telling him to come in.

“You excited?” I asked him, he smiled and nodded. I had never seen my brother this happy before. Hell, I had never seen him with a girl longer than six months. He wasn’t the relationship type. It must run in the family.

“You and Carts have been spending a lot of time together.”

“I leave in 24 hours.” He rolled his eyes. “What? It’s not like I can drop everything and try to make this work because we all know that THAT would not work. I’m meant to be where I am.” I stood up finishing curling my hair and putting my earrings in.

“He’s falling for you hard.”

“Shut up Matthew.” I threw a pillow at him. I didn’t want to here him, I didn’t want to here this. I took the car keys and gathered my bags.

“Emily, come on, give the kid a chance!”

“You were the one who never let me date your teammates, who never wanted me anywhere near them and now all of the sudden you’re letting me fuck your teammate who according to every google search I’ve done since I figured his name out says that he is the biggest man whore on earth?” I was fuming. “Matt, let me figure out my shit, I’m leaving on Sunday and that’s not going to change, I love you but I’m helping you get married.” I threw the bags over my shoulder, looked at my brother and walked out the door.

Maybe it was my own emotions, or maybe it was the fact my older brother was getting married and I had this guy all over me. I didn’t want this, I only wanted his penis inside of me. I got more and more angry as I drove down the road to where I was meeting Lindsay to get our nails done.

“I don’t want the words ‘Jeff Carter’ to come out of your mouth.” I said after I hugged her hello. She motioned that she knew exactly what I meant. An hour later we were done, and stopped by

We headed to the hotel where everyone else was, and got dressed with everyone else. They were excited and didn’t have a care in the world. My brain just kept going and going and going, I mean seriously, when did everyone decide that me being with Jeff was an okay thing. It wasn’t and I knew it wasn’t meant to be here. I not only like the south; I loved it.

“You in there Emily?” My future sister in law asked me as I headed out to go sit in the pew with my grandma and uncle. I was in another world.

“Yeah, sorry, I just-“ She cut me off and looked at me and leaned in.

“I won’t be mad if you leave early without Jeff.” She lightly kissed my cheek. She looked at me like she could read my mind, about how all of this was way too much and way too soon. I headed out, seeing the groomsmen, my brother and most importantly Jeff.

I wish I could just do what everyone wanted from me. They all wanted me to stay. I knew that, above all else I know my brother would kill for that, for me, his best friend to live in the same city, to be around more than I was now. I was chewing on my lips.

Fuck, he looked good. His suit would probably look amazing on my floor tonight.

“That blonde man, are you close with him?” My elderly grandmother asks me.

“Yeah, Nan, why?” I asked back.

“He looks at you like the world is spinning around you.” I swallowed. What the literal fuck. I was so done, even my grandmother knew that he and I had something going on. Had I had anything in my hand I would have quickly dug it into my eye and twist it around. I would have gladly gotten all the eye juice and blood over my expensive dress.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry, sorry.