Airplanes

Seriously

It took me three month to decide that I needed him in my life. I told him I was coming back, I just didn’t know when, that I couldn’t tell him. I didn’t want to let him know it was sooner than I had ever imagined, subletting my place and quitting my job. It took me a week to tell Jeff and for him to be over the moon at the fact I was coming. He was upset that I had no idea when I was coming.

It never hurt that a museum in Los Angeles had received loads of items that were in great need of me fixing them. They had offered to pay me three times the amount I was getting paid in New Orleans. I was sad to leave the city that had made me one of their own; that had shown me Mardi Gras, crawfish season and football season were bigger than almost anything on the planet.

Lindsey flew out right before the start of season. He was around too much she complained, and she wanted to talk wedding ideas. We had fun, we were totally girls, buying a ton of wedding magazines and her trying on dresses, and her thinking she may have found one.

“I cannot believe you’re actually moving to be with Jeffy!” I laughed at her. In my head I wasn’t moving out there for him, but for Christ sakes yes I was. I couldn’t get the poor boy out of my head. I was denying I was going out there. I had only admitted to Jeff that he was the reason I was moving out there. He claimed he was going to have me kidnapped and brought out here.

“I am moving out there because I have an opportunity in a job capacity out there plus my brother misses me.” She rolled her eyes at my lies. She knew the truth, and I didn’t even have to tell her.

“And Jeff lives there.” I smiled at the brunette with the beautiful ring on her finger and the MD at the end of her name. “I love that you’re trying to lie yourself into thinking that you won’t end up in Jeff’s arms the first chance you get.” I flipped her off. She was right. I was driving straight to Jeff’s when I got into Los Angeles.

We went out, I took her to the most famous street in my soon to be former home. We had a blast. She had a late flight the next day as I finished up the boxes and had the movers load them up and head off to Los Angeles.

I called Matt and talked to him as he navigated traffic, he was headed home to his new wife. He used the term as many times as he could. It was adorable how much he loved her. I told him I was driving out, that I was taking the long way and he would expect me in a little over a week, but most importantly not to tell Jeff.

I finished everything I needed to finish and spent the last night in New Orleans, in my first apartment. It was a change I needed.

…..

It took me ten days to drive that seems insane but I took a couple detours which included a few diners, drive-ins and dives. Plus a flat tire, which added me a day, and then a freeway, which according to my IPhone was open but according to the state troopers was 100% closed to every driver.

Once I hit the Los Angeles County border I figured out that it was probably going to take me another ten days to get to the condo where I wanted to be. I looked around at the sights while the traffic moved at a snails pace around me. They had a game tonight. He’d be late getting home, but he held a key underneath the pot to the left of his front door.

I texted Lindsey to tell her I was finally in town, she was in the middle of a hospital shift and told me to come over when I was done with Jeff, that she needed a test rat for bridesmaids dresses. I laughed at her and her one tract mind.

I listened in on my drive through the last two freeways on the way to Jeff’s condo on the beach and listened to them win over the radio. I hopped out of my car on the street across the street from Jeff’s condo, and let myself inside. It wasn’t anything that we hadn’t talked about. Hell, he has joked about hiring me to cook and clean if this whole working at a museum thing didn’t work out. I laughed at our conversations that had been almost entirely through Skype, hour-long phone calls and messages.

I told him the night before I was leaving the next morning. That I would be at his place the second I got into town, and he was excited about that. He had made plans about us and how he wanted to go to Disneyland the first off day he had. I had made fun of him but laying on the bed that smelt like him, it made me smile. It made me excited to start this life with him, in Los Angeles.

I laid there thinking about what a pansy ass I had been growing up, making Matt fight my battles with everyone. I was never the one to open my mouth or fight battles that needed to be fought. Even in high school, if a boy broke my heart I laid down and took it, I wasn’t the one to attempt to look like the victim, even when friends fucked me over I said whatever and I moved on. I never made a move that made anything different. But I had changed with Jeff, I had moved 1800 miles away with a man I had spent one weekend with. He was going to change my entire life.

I was asleep in less than an hour with a smile on my face and I was excited to see the guy that had made me grow up.

I heard the door open and close loudly. Rubbing my eyes I sat up and smiled. It was a surprised. He sounded loud and half drunk. I heard him come up the stairs and the door opened. And there was Jeff. With some blonde with her hands down her pants and lips on his face.

“Seriously.” His eyes met mine and went wide.