Sequel: Chasing Cars
Status: Complete

Let's Waste Time

Chapter Eleven

Chris showed up on Tuesday night as planned. We put in the movie and sat back for our usual take-out and beer. But we seemed to have trouble getting the night started. Aside from jumping right into the movie and food like usual, there was still a bit of awkward tension between us.

"So—how was your weekend?" he asked casually, bottle in his hands on his lap. I was in my usual place on the opposite side of the couch. I shrugged.

"It was fine. I have a giant zit growing on my chin, but luckily I don't have anyone to impress. You?" He shook his head, scratching his long fingers through his dirty blond hair.

"Just a lot of baseball practice. I don't have any zits. Just working and playing ball. That's all I ever do." I nodded.

"Rad."

We were still awkward and weird. We finished our dinner without another word. Finished our beers and considered moving onto the next one. I was wondering if we were going to go through with our initial plan. Or if maybe he'd changed his mind and was working himself up to tell me. My confidence came in waves. I wanted him. But I was anxious. Should I just make a move, or would he think that was weird?

And then he lunged at me from the other side of the couch. I squealed as he grabbed ahold of my face.

"This thing is a monster," he said. "It's taking up half your chin!"

"Don't touch it! You freak!"

"It's gigantic, Marley!"

"Leave it alone!" He ignored me, picking at my face. I squirmed to get away from him. "Don't be gross! You're a weirdo!"

I wiggled a few times, but he could tell there was no heat in my voice. Mostly because I was giggling and swatting him with no intention of actually hurting him. He was laughing too. And then, when I wiggled my leg free to kick him, we lost our balance and fell off the couch.

We plopped off the couch and right onto the hardwood floor with a loud thud. I landed beneath him, and he leaned on his arms, hovering over me so he could smile like a golden retriever in human form.

"Sorry," he said, even though he was still laughing. "Are you okay?"

"You mangled my face. That's disgusting. You're a weirdo."

"It's huge, Marley. And really red."

"I'm dealing with it, okay? You're disgusting."

I wiggled my legs again, but it only cradled him between them. He was only leaning on his arms. So the rest of him was flush against me and the floor. It would have been an awkward position if we hadn't been in that exact position already before. But we were clothed now, and we both seemed to realize it right at the same time.

"Okay, I'll leave it alone," he promised. "In the meantime, why don't we take care of the other distraction?"

"And what distraction is that?"

"My body. Your body. The exact position we're in now. But preferably naked and—not on the floor." I nodded.

"Oh, right. Those distractions."

"Yeah."

"C'mon. Everyone dies in the end anyway." We untangled ourselves from each other to stand up.

"People die in this movie?" he asked as he followed me into the bedroom.

"Not onscreen, no. But you know what really gets me about superhero movies? What about all those buildings that are damaged?"

"Probably a lot of people dying then."

"Exactly."

We got to my room, and he twisted me around. We kept talking about superhero movies and the damage they caused in cities while we ripped each other's clothes off. It didn't feel awkward anymore. Even when we were naked, he verbally wondered about what insurance premiums were like in superhero movies while running his hands down my body.

But then I ended up on my back on the mattress. He nudged my legs apart and gave up on the superhero conversation.

"What are you in the mood for tonight?" he asked like we were about to order take-out.

"That's a stupid question. You owe me one after trying to destroy my chin." He grinned.

"You can be on top."

"Oh, wow. So generous. I don't have to do anything in this position except open my legs. I like that better. I'm lazy."

"That's only because you've never been on top with me. The last time didn't count. I moved you too quickly."

"Oh, are you going to surprise me with some unique trick?" He shrugged and smiled.

"Just saying. You seemed to enjoy yourself."

"What makes you think I wasn't just trying to feed your ego?" He leaned against his hands and smiled down at me, caged between his arms.

"I've heard you with your boyfriend, Marley, and I've heard you with me. I can tell the difference between 'I'm moaning to feed his ego' and 'I'm moaning because I'm enjoying this." I gasped.

"That was rude! And I have lots of orgasms with Trent." He smirked.

"Sure you do. And you do with me too."

"It's different with you. I don't love you."

"That's why it's better. You don't have to worry about making me feel good about myself. You're just enjoying it for the sake of enjoying it. Know what I mean?"

"We've only done it a couple of times, and you're already turning into a narcissist. I don't know why I'm even letting you have sex with me."

"Because you like it, duh."

"What, are we back in high school now?"

"Alright, roleplaying is a little weird, but I'll bite if we do something a little older. Maybe a sexy secretary situation. You should have told me you were into that." I could tell he was joking. Mostly because he let go of a hearty laugh as soon as I made a face.

"Will you just shut up and get on with it? You owe me, end of story. You said you liked it anyway. So chop chop. Let's do this."

"Damn, I love that enthusiasm."