Status: Active

A Singer's Breath

PROLOGUE

I stare at the crowd through my moist black eyes which sting as the chilly wind brushes past. My pupils are threatening to burst from the effort to resist the unnatural strain. My expressions are as blank as they can be and I dread the moment of standing there as soon as I am enveloped in the aroma. All I want to do is run away and hide in some cozy corner of my house and cut myself off from the rest of the world. But, that seems no option now. I stand here, on the stage, facing hundreds of people eager to hear me and decide whether I am their new mask of entertainment or just another waste of their hard-earned money. Clutching the microphone in my hand, I think of how I could never have imagined myself here a few days ago.

November 12, a week from today, I had been sitting in my room, studying, when mom walked in and asked me to dress up and come downstairs. She looked worried and excited at the same time. I did as she said without a question. Waiting for me in the living room was a man in formal clothes. He looked about my dad's age. I greeted him a gentle good morning and mom asked me to go sit across him. Oddly, I wasn’t wondering what the man was doing here or what did he want from me. But, I was rather a little nervous with the thought of what could possibly get such a serious looking man into wanting to talk to a little girl like me.

“Miss Kaysha Castagne, right?” He looks up from his tea. Seeing me nod, he proceeds, “I am the secretary of Mr. R. Larros, the president of the SPC or the Singer Producing Corporation. We look for talented singers across the country and help them build their career. You were recommended by your school and we would be glad to provide you support in fulfilling your dream. Your singing has been highly appreciated by your teachers.”

My face was red from both flattery and surprise. I had no idea how to react. I gave the dumbest reponse I could possibly give, “Really?”

The man gave a small laugh and smiled, though the smile did not suite his grave personality. He said, “I have been sent here to collect some of your songs and recordings, if you have them and confirm that you are worthy of joining our corporation.” I rushed upstairs and was back within 10 seconds with all my lyrics and songs. The man took it all with him as he walked out of the house and I took my happiness with me to my room.

The next day, I went school with no idea how to explain the events of the previous evening to my friends. Going through the corridor, I saw my music teacher staring at me. I looked at her and realised what the situation really was. I ran and hugged her hard. I heard her whisper, "Your life is yet to change."

So here I am standing in front of my first ever audience, ready to give my first ever performance in my first ever concert.