Status: Active

A Singer's Breath

CHAPTER.2

What? Do they think I am some fool standing here with them while they try to convince me that they're gonna set my future for me? How can they play with my feelings this way? Who gave them the right to mess up with me like that? Surely, these people are not to be trusted blindly.

Arlena grasps my hand roughly and leads me through the main corridor, up the stairs, and through a brown door. Waiting inside for me is a tall woman with black messy hair. Her looks aren't very charming but she carries the air of a distinctive personality with her as she walks. That's my trainer? I ask myself.

The woman looks and me and passes a warm smile, “Hello Kaysha, I am Ms. Verre. I’ll be your trainer here at SPC.”

I start feeling a little uneasy. I have no idea what is going on around me. All these people are treating me as though I am some celebrity and showing me around. I do not deny the fact that I want to become a singer but all this showing around and dealing with people I don’t know, I don’t think I am ready for all this just yet.

Arlena leaves from the door behind me. Being in the room alone with her made me uncomfortable. I barely knew her and felt hesitation in even telling her my name.

All this feeling washes away when she gives me a pleasant warm smile. I feel as though she is nothing to be really scared of. I sit down on a couch nearby and Ms. Verre occupies the spot across me.

She begins, “So Kaysha, you are the upcoming face of our world of singers. You need to be trained and provided with the best of opportunities from a very young age. I will prepare you in every essencial way for you to come out to be a successful singer. But for that, I would need your cooperation as well. We would train for three hours here every day from 9 am to 12 noon.” I nod stagnantly.

She continues, “Firstly, we will focus on how to improve your body language and then we will work on your way of presentation in public. You will get your professional training in music from Mr. Strigg. After your session here with me, you get a fifteen-minute-break and then you report to Mr. Strigg sharp at 12:30. You train with him till 2pm and then you have lunch. Aftr that, you are free for the evening. This schedule starts tomorrow, today you stay here with me while I tell you about the SPC. Then you will be shown around by Arlena. Tomorrow, the 21st of November, you will begin with your formal trainings.

"Now, any questions you have in your mind, you are free to ask me."

I look at her, my face blank.

"No?" she asks, "Then I guess we are ready to start."

Ms. Verre starts describing her experience at the SPC. How she has successfully trained a number of singers. How a handful were a little difficult and how some required close to none training. I know and seriously love most of the singers she tells me about. It is amazing the fact that she knows Sayera Minnor, my role model, so closely. I wonder whether she would even let me meet her someday soon if I did well with my training with her. This thought lets an emotion of hunger to perform well in her trainings run down my chest, viewing a hope of seeing the face of Sayera Minnor in real life. This idea makes me want to impress her with all of what I can do. I know all of the Sayera Minnor songs by heart and listening to them makes tears escape my eyes. I would do anything to meet her once...

After my conversation with Ms. Verre, Arlena comes and takes me to take a tour of the entire SPC headquarters. Basement has all the classes and training rooms and work places. Ground floor has the reception and the PH(Performance Hall). The first floor has the rooms of the trainees and their supervisors and the second floor has the rooms of the staff members. The headquarters are well maintained and looked after. I now start feeling that maybe this experience here would not be such an uneasy and queer one. Arlena appears to be an easy going woman who is frank enough to share anything with. She takes me to the hall for lunch and in the evening, we are to have a little welcome party for me.