First Rebellious Attempt

First Rebellious Attempt

On the first day of summer vacation, the Georgian air was prematurely thick and sticky. Steam wafted from the pavement as Abigail and Harmony rode their bikes around the cul-de-sac. The girls made a game of it trying to stay exactly opposite of each other in their imaginary circle. Out of boredom, Abigail would sometimes slow down in attempt to be the leader then speed up to restore the circle. When the game became too dull to keep their attention, they began debating their plans for the day.

Riding in front for the moment, Abigail turned slightly to Harmony. She tossed her short blond hair that obscured her view and said, “Let’s go to the tree house.”

Harmony’s auburn ponytail bounced as she shook her head replying, “Nope, the twins got it. We’d have to fight them for it.”

With a sneer, Abigail continued pedaling monotonously falling back into place. She hated Harmony’s twin brothers. They were three years younger and complete terrors. They once threw a brick at her because she didn’t want to play with them that day.

Then she suggested, “The trails, then?”

“Nah, the mosquitoes are already bad. We’ll be eaten alive.” Harmony countered.

Abigail huffed, “Fine.” She continued bitterly. “Then you come up with somethin’ better.” Pause. “And maybe before I melt out here.”

Harmony flinched at Abigail’s retort but perked up at an idea.

“That’s it! How’s about we go to Pete’s and get some snow cones?” Harmony glowed with a congratulatory smile forgetting her crooked teeth for a moment.

Abigail’s feet abandoned the pedals and planted themselves on the ground bringing her bike to an abrupt halt. Not expecting it, Harmony swerved to the side to avoid a collision skidding into the grass.

Taking no responsibility for the almost accident, Abigail barked, “Harm, you know I can’t go to Pete’s.”

Harmony’s once smile now turned into a wicked smirk.

“What?” She teased adjusting her glasses and grass stained jeans. “Can’t cross the street?”

Abigail completely deflated tucking her unkempt hair behind her ears. One of her father’s many rules was to never cross the busy street outside the neighborhood, the street that had to be crossed to get to Pete’s corner store. Even though snow cones did sound great, she knew she couldn’t disobey her father or there would be consequences.

Trying to soften her jest, Harmony said, “I didn’t really feel like getting a snow cone, anyway. It was just something to do.”

Abigail absentmindedly nodded her head thinking over her dilemma. After a few seconds of silence, she squared her shoulders lifting her head with pure determination sparkling in her eyes.

“No, let’s go. I’ll go get some money and meet you at the church.”

Abigail pedaled away as Harmony called after her to forget about it.

Once home, Abigail jumped off her bike littering it on the front lawn as she sprinting into the house. The house was quiet. Her mother was at her sister’s softball practice. Her brother was in his room playing Atari, and her father was napping.

She didn’t have any money. She couldn’t ask her father because he would want to know what it was for, and then she would be busted. She couldn’t ask her brother because he would want something greater in return. So there was only one thing to do.

She slowly opened her parent’s bedroom door trying to avoid a squeak. On her hands and knees, she crept through the dark room to her father’s dresser. Her father’s deep breathing reassured her that he was truly asleep. Knowing he purged himself of loose change before going to bed, she pocketed two handfuls not knowing how much in total.

Stuffing the change in her shorts’ pockets, Abigail noticed the silence in the room. Her father was no longer snoring. She froze in a panic, eyes darting from bed to door calculating her chances for escape. Her heartbeat hammered in her ears, and she held in her breath.

Just when she thought she was doomed, her father released a thunderous snore. She exhaled in relief and scurried out the room before her luck could run out.

She sprinted out the house. She picked up her bike and headed for the church. As she pedaled, the change jingled in her pockets reverberating her past and future crimes. She pushed those thoughts behind her as she spotted Harmony waiting in the church’s parking lot that marked the entrance to their subdivision.

Abigail smiled a smile that didn’t reach her eyes.

“Ready?”

Harmony’s forehead wrinkled in concern. Hoping Abigail would change her mind, she asked, “You sure you want to go?”

Abigail bowed her head in shame as her guilt return in force. She shyly glanced at her friend through strands of hair.

Instantly understanding, Harmony nodded. The wicked grin returned as she announced, “I got an idea.”



The two girls rode onto Abigail’s driveway with one hand on the handlebars and the other holding their snow cones. Abigail had green for sour apple while Harmony had red for strawberry.

Before they could dismount, Abigail’s father walked outside with his keys in hand. He waved off the girls.

“Girls, don’t leave your bikes there. I have to leave.”

As the girls waddled over to the lawn, he stopped them with a question.

“Abby, what’s that?” He pointed to the snow cones.

Without missing a beat, Abigail replied, “A snow cone from Pete’s” Before he could explode, she added, “Harmony went get it for me.”

Nodding his head in understanding, her father got in his truck.

The two girls headed into the house to escape the heat and enjoy their honest-earned treats.

Before they closed the door, her father called from the truck, “Abby, don’t forget to return the change?”

Abigail froze until she heard her father’s booming laughter as he backed out of the garage.