Status: In progress; 3/?

Sweater Weather (or Whatever)

Quatre.

Four weeks later and they were just getting their exams back. William eyed the pile of papers on the desk at the front of the room, itching for the class to end so he could determine his fate. His professor had said something at the beginning of class about not wanting them preoccupied with their grades by handing them out at the beginning of class, but William saw no difference. Was it like this for everyone, the nervousness? Behind him, Gabe seemed just as at ease as ever, muttering comments to William every now and then, just quietly enough to make William look like a jackass each time he giggled.

“What are you doing tonight?” Gabe whispered, not taking his eyes from the professor. “I got you something.”

William smiled broadly, glad Gabe couldn’t see him for the sheer fact that he’d make fun of him. “Not my birthday,” he said quickly, fist over his mouth as if to feign a cough. “Duty.”

“I’ll be there by eight; you better keep your night open.”

After class, William waited for Ryan outside College Hall, who had already lit a cigarette by the time he got to the door. “Rough class?”

“Brutal,” Ryan said, inhaling deeply. “Fuck Presentation Skills. I’m skilled enough.” William scoffed in response, and Ryan couldn’t fight him there. Ryan was a terrible speaker.

“Well, let’s get smoothies then, to get your mind off things,” William offered, Ryan’s face twisting in protest.

“No way, man,” he said, already veering in the opposite direction of the smoothie bar, “that shit’s gross, I’d rather go to that sketchy seafood truck.”

“Uhm, I’m pretty sure you need that stuff to live,” William countered, stopping in his tracks, Ryan not turning until he was a measurable distance away, shoulders slouched as he did so. “Most people are made up of 70% water, but I swear, scientists are gonna examine your body when you die and realize you’re 60% fruit smoothie. What’s your issue, man?”

Ryan rolled his eyes slowly, stomping his foot once, arms crossed. “Just, like. Brendon.”

William nodded slowly, making the connection. “I forgot he works there now.”

“Dumb bitch was just grinning when I walked in a few weeks ago,” Ryan said, tonging his cheek. “I – literally – said ‘fuck this’ and turned around. So, no, man, I don’t want that shit.”

William looked at Ryan, grinning crookedly. “Wanna wait in the union and I’ll get you something?”

Ryan nodded eagerly. “God, please, I’ll die if I don’t get some potassium.”

In the bar, the line was shockingly short; with free period not yet started there was actually room to breathe. He spotted Brendon quickly, lavender hoodie and all, laughing with a co-worker William doesn’t recognize. As he made his way to the counter, Brendon’s smile faltered. “Hey, William.”

“How’s it going, Bren? Haven’t seen you in a while.” William didn’t want to interrogate his resident on being a dick, but he couldn’t help but feel a little anger when Brendon kept smiling, shrugging.

“Pretty good. Yourself? And what can I get you?”

“Things are fine, yea; just a banana-strawberry…whatever. For Ryan.”

All traces of a smile left Brendon’s face at this, and he nodded, refusing eye contact with William as he took his cash. He started the drink without another word, and William couldn’t take it. “Bren, I really don’t want to pry – it’s not my place, and I’m not judging, but what…?”

Brendon shakes his head and shrugs again. “I don’t wanna talk about it right now. But I’m done in five if he can wait for his drink.”

William agrees. “I’ll tell him I got stuck in the free period rush. I’ll be in the back.” He nods as he takes the drink, finding a table out of sight of the doorway.

As soon as people start filing in, Brendon clocked out and two girls clocked in; roommates who have gotten far too close to fast, from how William judged it. They’re freshmen, he was sure, who probably thought working and living together would be a good idea. But it was November now – Thanksgiving only one more week away – and he can tell these girls would rather not associate with each other. He took a sip of the drink and says he’ll just buy Ryan another need be.

“Is he upset?” William doesn’t even register Brendon right away, standing across from him. William blinked a few times before he put it all together. “Ryan. Was he upset?”

“Sit down, man.”

“Is it bad?” Brendon questioned, sitting quickly. He frowned, brow creased. William would laugh at the emergency in his appearance if he wasn’t ticked off.

“He was hurt, as you would guess,” William began, crossing his legs at the knee. “He came to me after he saw you. Said he got to the Union at eight-thirty; he didn’t come to my room until eleven.”

“Oh, God, he saw me,” Brendon half whispers, pulling his seat in and touching his face. “I didn’t – I didn’t see him. I didn’t think he would have waited that long. I just didn’t know what to say – “

“Brendon, literally anything would have been better than standing him up,” William said, shrugging as he did so. He liked Brendon, he really did, but he couldn’t imagine if Gabe had asked him to go to his house for dinner and then not answered the door. “What happened, anyway?”

Brendon sighed, shaking his head as he looked down at the table. “I just really liked having him with me, yknow? Like – it was just nice – he’s just -- … I woke up and he was there, and it was weird, yknow? I just – I left. And I really did want to talk to him – “

“What would you have said?” Williams voice comes out smoothly, not to be nice, but because he wants to make it as quick as possible, not wanting Ryan to get concerned (or, more likely, pissed off).

“That… I don’t know. I’ve never – been with – with anyone, yknow? And it’s not like I wouldn’t want to – but I just – see?” Brendon sighed, throwing his hands up. “I can’t even – “

“Just, relax,” William offered, and watched as Brendon took a deep breath. He nodded for William to continue. “Just. Ryan’s a good guy – he may say some shit but he’s a good guy. He wouldn’t want to hurt you, yknow? He wouldn’t try to make nothing into something, do you get me?”

Brendon nodded, then chuckled to himself. “I’ve been to his building a few times. I’ve walked to his floor and just turned around – he told me to visit him that night he stayed over, and I just – I wanted to say so much and…”

“It’s not too late, yknow?” William shrugged as he said it, and Brendon looked at him, smiling. “Now, I’m gonna need another smoothie – “

“It’s on me,” Brendon stood and quickly jumped back behind the counter. William laughed softly, trying to imagine such a positive energy with a bitch like Ryan.

Gabe was standing by William’s door by the time he was finished his rounds, backpack slung over one shoulder, grinning once he knew he had William’s attention. He said, “B-. How’d you do?”

“A. Guess we know whose study habits work best, huh?”

“Yea, panicking at one a.m. and kissing strange boys or not sleeping until four? What a contest,” Gabe said, following closely behind William. As he tossed his bag onto the bed, William feigned insult.

“I did not keep you up until four!” he exclaimed, standing in front of Gabe. “You left by two-thirty at the latest!

“I know when I left,” Gabe shouted back, stepping closer to William now. “I never said I left here at four, I said you kept me up until four. I was concerned.”

At this, William blinked, his smile fading. “Concerned?”

“Yea,” Gabe began, suddenly hopping onto the bed and leaning his back against the wall. “I didn’t want you to lose your cool. And I didn’t know what your intentions with me were, yknow?”

William smiled, taking a step towards Gabe; he noticed how his hips would meet Gabe’s knees if he took another step or two. “That’s sweet of you.”

“No, what’s sweet of me is the gift I got you,” Gabe replied, eyes bright as he tore open his backpack. “Close your eyes.”

With a huff, William closed his eyes and crosses his arms over his chest. He listened to the rustling of a plastic bag. When Gabe told him to put his arms out, he did so without question (although his level of concern did rise when he’s greeted with a light, itchy pile).

“What,” William laughed when he opens his eyes, grabbed a corner of fabric and let the material unfold. “Gabe, what.”

“It’s a sweater,” Gabe explained, eyes soft. He gave a weak laugh as he continued, “it’s getting cold and I thought you could use a sweater – it made me think of you.”

Upon further analysis it was, indeed, a sweater in his hands. It’s a collage of warm colors, come greens and purples coming through, all patch worked and mashed together; it’s the most inorganic article of clothing William’s even seen, and all he can do is look at Gabe with an opened-mouth smile, still holding the thing by its shoulder. “This reminded you of me?”

“Well, yea,” Gabe continued, sitting straight now. “I saw it at JoMar and it was like… you in a sweater. Like, your multi-dimensional and shit. And it’s getting chilly.”

“Sweater weather,” William murmured as he turned the thing over in his hands.

“Yea, whatever. It just. If you don’t like it – “

“No,” William interjected, putting a hand on Gabe’s knee. “I love it, man. I’ve never, uhm, I’ve never seen anything like it. I’m gonna wear it over Thanksgiving break. Thank you.”

William kissed Gabe then, lightly first and then with more force, grasping at the collar of his shirt. He pulled away quicker than he’d like, but he wanted to discuss the holiday with Gabe, who whined as William pulled himself up onto the bed. “Are you going home for the break?”

“Nah, I’m staying here,” Gabe replied, shrugging. “Home’s too far. Besides, I have an off-campus house, so I don’t need to leave, unlike you losers.”

William swatted at Gabe, trying to hide his smile. “I’m leaving next Wednesday morning,” he continued. “Will you be alright by yourself?”

Gabe nodded as he spoke, “I hate Thanksgiving – lot of relatives, lot of turkey, lot of naps. I mean, I love, and I love company, but traveling this time of year is shit. Besides, I get to wear my pajamas all day, and my house is doing Drunksgiving next Tuesday, which is way better.”

Frowning, William said, “Excuse me? Whats-giving?”

“Drunksgiving,” Gabe explained, unaffected. “Like a friend Thanksgiving, but with a lot of alcohol. We do it every year. It’s a lot of my house mates’ friends, but Ryan will be there. I expect you to be there too, mister.”

William tilted his head, looking off as if pondering his schedule. “Well, I do have to be sober enough to wake up on time Wednesday...”

“Oh, come on,” Gabe said with a short laugh. “You’ve never been over for a party – you promised Halloween and then – “

“I was on duty, Gabe.” William cut in before Gabe tried to change the story.

I was on duty,” Gabe mimicked, laughing at William’s reaction, the shaking head and clicking tongue.

“I promise I’ll be there, alright?” William finally said. “So needy. I’ll come over after class, okay?”

Gabe nodded. “Do you need a ride to the train?”

“No, I’m going with Sisky; you know Adam. We went to the same school, did you know that?” Gabe shook his head, taking William’s hand in his and making small circles with his thumb. A chill ran up William’s spine and made a home in his cheeks. William rested his head on Gabe’s shoulder. “Say, would you care if Brendon came to this party? I’m trying to do Ryan a favor.”

“Yea, as long as Holly doesn’t fire you for drinking with your residents,” Gabe replied, referring to William’s boss. “Trouble in paradise?”

“Uhm, I’m not sure what paradise you are aware of, but those two are not a thing. I think Brendon’s confused about how to tell Ryan what he wants or like, how he doesn’t know what he wants, and Ryan’s too proud to do it himself. But, yea. Trouble I’d say.”

Gabe laughed throatily, kissing the top of his head. “Yea, we’ll make it work… I’m gonna miss you next week.”

“Shut up, you goof, we’re gonna hang out this weekend.”

“But we won’t next weekend and what’ll I do?” Gabe whined, genuinely concerned. He buried his face in the crook of William’s neck, causing him to laugh. He hadn’t felt so comfortable with another human being before in his life, and as corny as it sounded, he know he was going to miss Gabe too. He pulled him closer, muttering again that Gabe was needy; the latter didn’t protest.

Gabe turned William’s face towards him, locking eyes before leaning in for another kiss. He kept his hand on William’s hip as he guided him onto his back, eventually straddling his waist as he did so. Gabe had far more experience than William had, and he wondered if Gabe still experienced any sort of nervous electricity when he cupped his face or breathed his name. He couldn’t imagine Gabe’s internal responses were as strong as his, considering William as still trying to pinpoint exactly what he was doing with Gabe. He wasn’t seeing anyone else, but no one had asked if he was in a relationship – and what should he said if someone did?

“Are we – uhm – “ William breathed as Gabe moved to his neck. “Gabe, I need to know what’s going on. With uhm, with us.”

Gabe pulled back, scanning William’s face before answering. “You’re not the first boy I’ve been with, Bill, you know that?”
William shifted uncomfortably under Gabe. “I guess I figured, yea.”

“But I’m the first you’ve been with.” William nodded mutely, knowing it isn’t really a question. “Look… we don’t have to name this. We can just keep hanging out, yknow? Like – “

“Is this just hanging out?” William wanted to sit up, but he isn’t mad enough; he imaged what it would be life, him fuming and Gabe the one bumbling.

“No, no, no. Bill, I really like you and I’m not trying to fuck with you, alright? I just. Want to see what happens.” Gabe stroked the side of William’s face and he just can’t be mad. He smiled tiredly and pulled Gabe back into him, their kiss electric, Gabe beginning to grind his hips into William’s.

I really want to suck your cock is that okay,” Gabe whispered as he kissed William’s neck again. William kept his eyes shut and tries not to groan. When he doesn’t respond, Gabe continued kissing and started sucking, just a little. At William’s ear, he purred, “please, William, I want you.

William allowed a soft moan to escape from his lips, from the pit of his stomach. Gabe kissed his lips again as he began to make his way down, slowly unbuckling his belt as he did so. He looked up as William as he unbuttoned his jeans, and William thought, Jesus Christ, if time could stop.

William’s not yet exposed when the sirens started.

“Fuck,” William hissed with more frustration than Gabe’s evener seen. He covered his face with his hands as he groaned, the fire alarm in the building next door getting louder, yet he stilled tried to ignore it, convince himself it wasn’t true. When his phone began to ring, he slid out from under Gabe, swearing profusely as he did so.

“I can hear it, alright,” he spat into the phone, knowing it was Holly on the other end. “I’ll start checking rooms. Just ask Marina to meet me outside McShain.” He didn’t wait for her to respond, just slammed the phone down and ran his fingers through his hair before realizing his pants are still undone. He looked at Gabe, who sat dumbly on his bed.

“Five minutes,” he pleaded, but William shook his head, re-buttoning.

“The sooner I get this done, the sooner I’ll be back – if no one causes a problem, it should only take thirty minutes. I’m sorry, I just – I’ll be quick.” He kissed Gabe’s cheek and strode out of the room, readjusted and still hard.

Of course, an entire quad of freshmen on the fourth floor had refused to leave the room, the pot smell potent enough from the hall. By the time he got back, Gabe was sleeping on his bed. William admired him, stripped down to his boxers and t-shirt, before he turned off the lights, pulling the comforter over the both of them and wrapping him in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry this is so dull. I had been spending a lot of time trying to fit in a scene that didn't belong to make it better, but that'll be next time, so don't worry.