Spying for Love

With only one look...

I looked down at the ground below, colossal trees and masses of green covering the ill-kept land. The helicopter whirred in my ear and I tugged on the mouthpiece.

"Ahem."

The pilot took a quick glance back and anxiously asked, "Is everything okay back there, Agent T?"

"Definitely, but I have a question. How long before we arrive?"

The pilot let out a relieved sigh and said, "Look down."

A few yards away, I could make out the roof of the school we were going to land on. The brick red building stood out in its green surrounding and was enormous. We started to descend and I held onto my seat. Within a few minutes, I was out of the helicopter and was being greeted by the Headmaster of the school.

"Tyler Freelance," He said, extending his hand out to me. "Pleasure to meet you. Headmaster Olligner at your service."

Olligner? Most likely, he inherited this place. I shook his hand and smiled. "As is my pleasure. However, if you could begin addressing me as Ashley Johnson, it would help hide my identity."

A flush came upon his cheek and he quickly muttered, "Of course. Now let's proceed to my office to discuss your life here." He took a quick glance around feverishly and I rolled my eyes. Paranoid old bat. Acting as if someone was after him.

I nodded my head and we walked down the stone steps into the school. I could hear the helicopter flying away and grimaced, since I forgot to thank Jim the pilot. He led me to an oval office and I was reminded of the White House. Taking a look around the room, I realized this room was exactly designed like the one in the White House, each nook and cranny in place. Obsessed much?

I welcomed myself to his soft, cushiony chair and sat down with a plop. I rummaged through my duffel bag before producing the folder my mother had provided me for me. Taking out a couple of sheets, I handed him the one with Jacey's information on it and said, "I'm sure you’ve taken care of everything."

"If by everything you mean by your room and classes then yes. They are all identical to Jacey's except for your math class." He sputtered under my glare and began with his excuse. "There was no room left in tha-"

"Well, I'm pretty sure there'd be room once Jacey's been killed. Maybe then you could fill me in." I scowled, making a mental note to get a background check on this guy. He seemed like an incompetent and scared Headmaster, not like any other Headmaster I had met before.

"But the thin-"

"It would really make things easier if you could put me in that class." I got up grabbing my room's key out of the package. "Now I've got to go and follow some unsuspecting girl. I hope you have a good night."

I walked out the warm room into the cold corridor, ignoring his calls. I found myself in the grand hall and it was deserted except for a janitor sweeping away. I walked up the marble staircase and towards my floor. Room 458...c'mon where the hell is it? Aha! Found it. I swiped my key card in and swung the door handle open. The lights were turned off and I flicked the light switch on. The room was a mess. Clothes were thrown all over the place and as were the books. The bed was unmade, two pillows on the floor, the comforter halfway onto the floor. The laptop at one of the desks was on and the screensaver was on, a ping-pong game going back and forth. I grinned in happiness. For once, one of my missions felt like home. I looked at the other side of the room. A bed was made tidily, the blue and white comforter neatly tucked in. My trunks were at the foot of my bed and I walked over to them. I opened up two of them, throwing all the clothes into a large dresser, not bothering with folding them.

The other trunk held my gadgets and supplies. No need for them to be out in the open. I opened it up, threw the duffel bag in there, snatched a micro ear piece, and stuck it into my ear. Grabbing the controller for it, I switched it on and applied it for 5 miles. Suddenly, the peace and quiet left as a clamor rang through my ear. Damn! I quickly turned it off and smirked to myself thinking, Well at least we know it works. I stashed the controller into my pocket and secured the trunk shut. Before making my way out of the room, I glanced at myself in the mirror. Meh. Not much to see. A tall girl at around 5’8” with messy black hair up to her shoulders was ordinary. Good. The only thing different about me was that I had inherited my mother's illuminating green eyes and my father's dimples. Oh how, I hated those damn dimples that made old ladies pinch my cheek with glee. Damn you, father!

I ran into a nearby elevator as it was almost closing and sighed in relief. Now, to my next course of action. Find the girl. I wonder where everyone is, I thought to myself as I stared at the metal doors, waiting for them to open.

"I'm guessing the cafeteria."

A creepy voice came out of nowhere and I looked around to find myself with the same janitor that was in the grand hall. "Oh err...thanks." Damn, did I speak out loud? I've got to stop doing that!

I walked out the elevator as it stopped on the ground floor with a Ding. I made my way into the cafeteria, looking around for a girl with brown hair and blond highlights. Well, I see at least seventy girls that resemble that description. I noticed I was getting a few heads turned my way so I slipped into a chair and grabbed a plate towards me. There was am array of food splattered across the table but I wasn't hungry. I had just finished two cartons of ice cre- Grumble...Maybe a drumstick won't hurt.

After finishing that scrumptious drumstick, I got up to search for the girl. As I stood up, many students also started get up. What were the odds that when I began to look for her, that it was time to go to our rooms. This would be the perfect time for someone to target her, everyone in a jumble, no one suspecting anything. I grabbed a nearby knife-butter knife, scrambled out of my seat and tried to look for her. Damn, it'd be better if I had a pictu-

"Hey there." A soft voice spoke. I looked up to see a tall boy, his hands casually resting inside his baggy jeans.

"Erm...hi." I tried to look past his shoulder but he moved in front of me. "I'm sorry but can you please move out of my way?"

"See I would, but the thing is that you took my I-pod." He smirked and I looked at him confused. What I-pod?

"I have no idea what you're talking about. Why would I take your I-pod?"

"I don't know. You tell me. What's it doing in your hands?"

I groaned in annoyance. This kid was wasting valuable time. "This is far from an I-pod." I said, shaking my hand in front of his face. That's when I saw the earphones dangling from my hand and I gasped. He raised his eyebrows, his smirk growing.

I thrust it towards him and laughed nervously, avoiding his hazel eyes. "So sorry. I'm really not a thief." Except for when I have to steal military info and pictures exploiting the Chinese emperor. "I swear I have no idea how it got into my hands, I thought it was a knife." Just then I realized how ridiculous I sounded and mentally cursed myself.

"No, no, I believe you, because knives are more technologically enhanced and fun than your everyday I-pod touch. I've been meaning to get one of those but gosh, they just keep running out of stock." He said in a slightly self-mocking way. I couldn't help it-I smiled.

His smile was soft and smooth, like chocolate. Reaching to about 5'11", his silky black hair fell into his eyes messily. His eyes, his smile, his chiseled jaw; all things found in a male model and all things wanted in a potenti- Yes! I found her! While my brain was processing his really good looks, my eyes were scanning the room for the beloved little Jacey and my eyes locked onto the target. The Subject is sporting a black mini-skirt and a red tank top, very much similar to my gray one. She does however, not have brown and blond hair but brown hair with black and purple highlights. The Subject is heading out the cafeteria and is walking rather quickly in her black combat boots.

"Found who?" The boy's eyebrows crinkled in confusion and I scolded myself for making such an angelic face go down.

And damn it! I did it again. "Did I say that out loud?" I took his amused stare as a confirmation and blurted out, "Uh...my roommate! She gets really mad if I come in late, because then when I open the doors people look in to find her plucking her toe-nail hairs. Gotta run!" With that, I sped off towards Jacey, wondering what had overcome me to actually say that.

As I walked quickly, I head someone yell behind me, “I’m Caden, by the way! Just in case I want to file a charge, what’s yours?”

“Ty-Ashley!” I yelled back, trying to fight my way through the crowd.

Caden…