Status: Work in progress; First 3 chapters need work, gets good at Chapter 4

Thera

Prologue

Warm, white light surrounds me; it consumes everything but has no origin. I can’t even see my body though I can feel it. I raise my hand, but the light particles hide it from my vision.

Time seems frozen here. Everything from the world I came from seems unimportant. I know I am in a hurry but those emotions can’t touch me here; I only feel safe and peaceful. The only sadness comes from the thought of leaving this place.

This place must be what the ancients spoke about in their stories. Heaven, I think it was called. It was some kind of place a person went after they died, if they were good. I don’t think I belong here. I mean I don’t feel dead. Actually, I know I’m not dead. There’s something important I have to do. Someone is counting on me.

I fight against the desire to stay and take a step with my invisible foot. Just one step…

Suddenly everything changes. The light dissipates, and colors return. Although it’s dark, my senses are overloaded. I flinch, as a sharp pain spikes behind my eyes bringing tears. I blindly grope for support, catching myself against a hard, rough surface-just under my swollen belly. After a few blinks, my eyes adjust.

I’m standing on a bridge in the middle of a field. Chunks of the wood are missing while slimy green vegetation holds the remaining pieces together. The railing I’m leaning on quivers under my meager weight. I straighten up scared that I might cause the bridge more danger.

Wiping the mildew off my hand with my dress’s skirt, I gaze around the field. The only light source comes from the portal I just emerged from. Its once pure light washes out this new world making my porcelain skin almost translucent. The sky is inky black. No stars. The planet’s one moon is nowhere to be seen.

A small stream snakes through the field with its banks hinting its former grandeur. Now the bridge is useless over absent torrents, and it feels it.

The field also shows signs of its darkened time. The grass is yellow from lack of nourishment like it misses its long, lost friend. Trees circle the dying grassland in the distance. They look out of place towering over the grass boasting their height and health to the lesser vegetation. Even from my position on the other side of the field, the branches look dangerous with prickly limbs waiting to attack. Its leaves are razors at attention for their next victim.

Scanning the terrain, I am hit with conflicting emotions. My astonishment overpowers my fear of this new planet.

I am not used to this chaotic beauty of nature. At home, the only foliage is synthetic with its precise arrangement. Workers organize and maintain each piece of greenery without any room for growth. Here everything is wild announcing its freedom while fighting for survival.

The lack of water is also odd. When you come from a planet that is ninety-nine percent water, it’s unthinkable to be without it. My people couldn’t get away from it. But this browning grass is begging for it.

My first step reminded me of the fragileness of the waterlogged wood underfoot. Wood like anything living has an expiration date, which is why we abandoned using it centuries ago. This bridge is obviously past its time.

My reverie is cut short as a small dark figure crosses the portal’s light. Panic surges through my body. I hold my breath and struggle to shrink into myself. My belly doesn’t allow me to get too low, and the still open portal is my own personal spotlight. The only hope I could hold on to is that the person, probably a guard, will not notice. Judging from the size of the shadow, the guard must be on the other side of the hallway from the portal making my escape route less visible.

As the shadow stopped in the middle of the light, my shred of hope shatters. My escape has been detected!

I spin on the spot. Using the dilapidated beam, I jump-start into a sprint. My expecting stomach throws me off balance slowing my launch. My right hand moves to it in an attempt to limit its jarring. My long, crimson hair flies into my eyes and mouth obscuring my vision and already-ragged breathing.

At the end of the bridge, I risk a glance back to check the portal. It should be closing by now but the shadow keeps growing. And growing fast. It has almost doubled in size. The guard must be massive.

Fear pushes me forward even though my muscles start to protest. But the bridge has other plans.

My foot snags on the last beam. I lose my balance completely and fall forward. I instinctively twist my body landing on my side. The grass somewhat cushions my fall but my head whiplashes into the ground. Black spots dance before my eyes.

With my next breath, I know something is wrong with my ribs. They squeeze around my lungs making my breath shallow and harsh. I cough for more air. Fire seers my throat as a wave of nausea hits me.

Not thinking about the pain, I sit up. My exposed legs are bleeding where they bashed into that cursed beam. I wipe the blood and hobble to my feet.

Once standing, my ribs squeeze tighter. Tears blur my vision but I can still see the tree line. They are my salvation. If I can just get to their undergrowth, I can hide. I have to hide. For her. She is my only concern now. I live for her. She is all I have left.

I run my hand over my belly. On some understood cue, she kicks letting me know she’s all right. A quick comforted smile spreads across my face. She’s tough, which is good. She will have to be to live on Earth.

The light from the portal is almost completely eclipsed now by my pursuer. I take a few sharp taking in as much air as I can. With my injuries, I know I can’t run so I forcibly drag my uncooperative feet forward. My breath is still not normal, and the dark spots in my vision are getting larger. I just focus on my destination and push onward.

I can barely see in front of me but I don’t know if it’s because the portal light is gone or due to my rapidly diminishing vision. With only a few strides left, the light goes out completely. I’m totally blind, but I persevere.

Then suddenly an ear splitting cacophony erupts through the field from the portal. The alarm has been sounded!

As I’m lifting my hands to cover my ears, the sonic pulse from the alarm sways the trees back unnaturally. Its wind lifts me from my feet throwing me the last few steps into the tangled undergrowth.

Lying there with my hands over my ears, all I keep thinking to myself is "don’t find me, don’t find me". The dark spots haul me into darkness as my breathing finally starts to slow down.

As I surrender to the darkness, all I can focus on is the muted alarm calling a name. My name… Meda!
♠ ♠ ♠
For those who stumbled onto my story, please leave a comment. Any feedback/criticism is wanted and needed at this point.