Status: Work in progress; First 3 chapters need work, gets good at Chapter 4

Thera

Six

Meda follows her father out of the elevator. As they pass the reception desk, the young woman leaps out of her chair running to Killian’s side.

“Ambassador, I didn’t know you were leaving.” Her voice is upbeat like a cheerleader while concern is etched into her face.

Killian keeps walking.

“I will not be needing your services.”

The girl halts as if she’s been punch in the gut.

“But sir--”

“That will be all.”

Killian waves off the girl dismissively. Meda tries to give her a sympathetic smile but the girl’s confusion only turns to anger. Already comfortable with scorn, Meda shrugs.

Meda trails her father all the way to the curb outside. She lingers behind him, not reaching the curb.

Killian glances to the left until he notices Meda is not next to him. With a gentle smile, she grabs her hand tugging her up to the curb next to him.

“If you linger, the curb will only send a one person glider.” He says playfully.

Thinking about the vehicle that brought her there, Meda asks, “What, the curb sends the pill car?”

He laughs. It’s rich and deep but feels as though he is out of practice.

“Pill car? Is that what you call it?”

Meda shyly looks down slightly embarrassed. Seeing her discomfort, Killian tilts his head to the side thinking.

“I like it. It’s quite clever and accurate.”

Meda’s head shoots up. She tries to read his face for a lie but can’t. Surprisingly, his parental approval means a great deal to her.

“What is it really called?” She asks quizzically.

His humor slides a little becoming a voice of authority giving a lecture of sorts.

“Its official name is AGG or automatic grid glider. But most just call it a glider.”

Meda nods. Looking down, she realizes they are still holding hands. His hand is strong, and his grip is firm but not crushingly so. Its reassurance makes Meda laugh.

Before Killian can inquire about the unspoken joke, a glider stops in front of them. This one is larger than Meda’s first. When the outer shell splits, there are two chairs on the platform, one in front of the other.

Letting go of Meda’s hand, Killian grabs her bag. Leaning towards the back of the glider, he tosses it in an empty compartment behind the second chair. Stepping onto the landing, he takes the first chair spinning around to face Meda still on the curb.

“All aboard.”

Meda shakes her head but can’t help giggling. She sits in the second chair wincing as the outer shell closes. Even though the inside is roomy, she gets the feeling of being trapped.

The same female voice chimes.

“Destination, please?”

Facing forward, Killian says firmly.

“Ambassador Estate.”

The dashboard slides out from the front. Killian instantly sticks his hand under it.

“Verif…” The voice cuts out. “Hello, Ambassador.”

The glider flies down the road. Once airborne, Killian swivels the chair around to face Meda. Dizziness hits her just thinking about traveling at high speeds backwards. Trying not to think about it, Meda focuses on Killian’s face.

“So…where are we going?” She knows the answer but can’t think of anything else to say.

“Home.” Killian shrugs.

Meda nods looking for something else to talk about. Thinking about the children and woman in the lobby, Meda asks, “Was that your family earlier? At your office?”

Killian frowns.

“You saw them?”

Meda nods. Anxiety sweeps across Killian’s face.

“I sort of met your son.” Not knowing if she continues, she pauses. Deciding it’s too late, she goes on, “ I guess, my half-brother.”

Killian smiles.

“That would be Kronos.”

Meda nods again hearing a bit of pride in his voice.

“Yes, he is a curious one.”

“There was a girl too, a little younger than me.”

Killian nods.

“Circe. She is our rebel.”

The smile remains but mixed with worry.

Wanting to reassure him, Meda adds, “She was very protective of Kronos.”

The smile disappears.

“Yes, she is.” Hints of regret in three little words.

Meda looks down. She feels defeated for making her father feel bad and doesn’t know if she should ask about more. But curiosity wins out.

“And your wife?” She says quietly.

“Lilith. They were at my office so I could inform her about you.”

Remembering the look of hatred in Lilith’s eyes, Meda blurts.

“That explains it.”

Her eyes widen as her hand flies to her mouth. Killian raises his brow and resists laughing.

“I’m sure it does.”

He looks over his shoulder for a moment. Even though everything is still blurry, the grays have morphed into green. The glider has taken them out of the city and into the countryside.

Killian turns back to Meda leaning closer.

“We don’t have much time.”

His voice is serious now, more like his Ambassador voice his used on Azure and the receptionist.

“Did Deir—your mother explain how life is here?

Meda can hear the hurt in his voice when he tries to say her name. It was the same way for her mother.

“Yes. And Tahl has taught me all he could during his visits.” She pauses, not wanting to say the rest. “But he says theory and practice yield quite different results.”

A small return smile threatens Killian’s lips.

“Yes, that sounds like something he would say.”

Suddenly worried about the situation, Meda adds, “I don’t have to…

Killian lifts his hand interrupting her. Placing his hand on her shoulder, he looks into her eyes.

“No. Among other things, Tahl is right. You need to know where you come from. Blood is important here.”

Meda releases a breath. His acceptance is suddenly important to her but his use of blood, not family makes her sad.

The glider starts its descent. Before turning around, Killian adds, “Here we go.”

Meda is thankful for the encouragement but detects a trace of fear in his tone.

They get out of the glider in front of a white stone mansion. Killian walks up a narrow path towards the front door. Trailing behind, Meda gawks at her surroundings. The front door lies underneath a veranda held up by four cast stone pillars that could rival any column from ancient Greece. The house expands on both sides with large windows every few feet.

Around the grand house spans a great lawn with lush green grass. The grass looks so soft Meda has the urge to take off her Chucks to feel it. Looking at Killian’s back, she decides against it.

Once at the door, Killian turns and notices Meda’s observations.

“The grass is off limits.”

Meda raises a brow in confusion.

“So what is it for then?”

Killian shrugs. “Decoration.” His voice sounds detached.

The sudden shift in his demeanor throws Meda off. She stares at him. His stance is rigged and stiff. His air is the picture of power and authority, all the humor and playfulness left in the glider. He is no longer her father, but the Ambassador.

Looking away from this new side of her father, Meda looks back at the lawn. She is baffled by its uselessness. Tahl gave a history lesson about Thera’s overpopulation crisis and land depletion. So how can there be land without purpose?

Shaking her head, Meda walks under the veranda and joins Killian at the door.

Like the entrance to the operating room, a retinal scanner accompanies a keypad to the left of the door. Killian bends down as he slides his hand in the keypad. He mutters something that Meda can’t hear and the door swings open.

Killian guides Meda into a foyer as the door closes on its own behind them.

Standing in the foyer, Meda stares at greatness. Twin staircases on either side of a small table climb to a second floor. She walks to the table to see more of the house, to the left is a large formal dining room and to the right an equally impressive sitting room. Meda can only stare in awe.

Getting Meda’s attention, Killian calls her name. Not her nickname, but her formal name. His tone is demanding and a tad annoyed.

She spins around to see Killian standing to the left of the front door next to a side panel in the wall. He motions for her to join him. Looking around one more time, Meda strides to him.

“We need to put you in the house system.” He says pointing to the panel.

Glancing from Killian to the panel and back, Meda creases her brow in confusion. A smile hints at the corner of his mouth but vanishes instantly regaining his composure.

“The house monitors our activity and food preferences to better assist our lives.”

Not liking the monitoring part, Meda nods.

“What do I need to do?”

Before Killian can answer, a shout bellows behind her.

“Meda By The Way!”

Turning to face the voice, Meda, already with a smile on her face, sees Kronos with the dark haired boy beside him. They both are in the archway between the foyer and sitting room. Kronos’s eyes are bright with surprise with a Cheshire grin on his face while the other boy has the same scowl from the Killian’s lobby.

Ignoring the dark haired boy, Meda says to Kronos, “My name’s just Meda.”

Kronos giggles.

“I know, but it’s funny.”

Meda joins in on the laughing. The dark haired boy’s scowl deepens.

Killian steps up next to Meda. The laughter immediately fades.

“Andromeda, you have met Kronos.” Pointing to the dark haired boy, Killian continues, “And this is my other son, Balthazar.”

Balthazar steps up and bows slightly. Kronos circles around Balthazar and steps up to Meda.

“What are you doing here?”

His voice is full of innocent curiosity. Meda looks over at Killian.

“I was just uploading Meda to the house.” He answers, not lying but not explaining the situation to his young son.

Hearing the dismissive tone, Balthazar turns back to the sitting room and leaves. Kronos remains with eyes widened.

“Can I watch?” He asks timidly looking between Meda and their father.

Meda glances at Killian. After a moment of deliberation, Killian nods. He turns back to the side panel as Kronos slowly strolls to Meda’s right side.

Killian points to a keypad with a hand indentation.

“Andromeda, place your hand here.”

Meda obeys. A warm red light passes through her hand. Removing it from the keypad, she shakes it by her side.

Killian points to a retinal scanner.

“Now, place your eye here.”

She leans over. A laser scans her left eye. She jerks back in surprise. Blinking and rubbing her eye, she hears Kronos laugh. She shoots him a look but he only smile up at her innocently.

Killian clears his voice to get their attention.

“Now, say your name.”

As Meda opens her mouth, Killian interrupts, “Your full name.”

“Andromeda Morgaine Valhalla.” She says confidently.

“Valhalla?” A velvety voice asks from behind them.

They all turn around to see Lilith in the archway to the sitting room with Balthazar by her side and Circe behind her.

The room is silent as Lilith saunters into the foyer with Balthazar in tow. They stop next to the table. Lilith’s glare bears into Meda.

Meda looks down only to see Balthazar’s superior grin. Looking back up, she notices Circe leaning against the archway with her arms crossed over her chest. She is staring at the back of Lilith’s head with a stormy expression. Feeling Meda’s eyes on her, Circe looks at Meda. Her expression transforms to curiosity. Meda attempts to smile at her but Circe shakes her head.

“Balthazar informed me that our guest had arrived.” Lilith says coldly capturing Meda’s attention.

Lilith’s gaze shifts to Killian expectedly.

“Yes. I was uploading her into the house before proper introductions.” Killian counters with the same tone.

Lilith glances back to Meda with a malicious smirk.

“Well, I see manners are not taught on Earth.”

Meda narrows her eyes at Lilith. As Meda opens her mouth to respond, Killian lightly grabs her arm. She looks down at his hand and then travels to his eyes, which are pleading with her not to reply. She swallows her retort.

Still looking down at Meda, Killian gestures to Lilith.

“Andromeda, this is my wife, Lilith.”

Remembering her mother’s lesson, Meda squares her shoulders and lightly bows her head.

“Lady Olympus.”

Lilith’s brows rise. Shaken, she bows in return.

“I am mistaken.” She says regrettably.

Regaining her control, she announces.

“Children, Andromeda will be residing with us for a few days…”

“One month.” Killian interrupts sharply glaring at Lilith. Lilith narrows her eyes at her husband.

Lilith lifts Balthazar hand to her chest and looks down at the boy.

“Boys, I think it is time for your lessons?” She suggests. Her face softens as she gazes into her son’s eyes.

Balthazar nods. Releasing his mother’s hand, he walks down the hall under the twin stairs. Lilith glances at Kronos, who is still standing next to Meda. All the gentleness fades from her face.

“Kronos.” She commands.

Kronos opens his mouth. His eyes dart to Circe, who is shaking her head. He closes is mouth.

Trying to soften his dismissal, Meda pats him on the shoulder and says, “It’s okay, Kro. We can chat later.”

Kronos smiles up at Meda and nods. Shooting Lilith a final glare, he stomps down the same hallway as Balthazar.

Meda watches him go. When she looks back, Circe is smiling and Lilith is boiling.

“Circe.” Lilith snaps.

Circe jumps off the wall and stands at attention as her turns to her.

“Please show our guest the house.” Meda shutters as every word drips with distain.

Not addressing her mother, Circe walks up to Meda and takes her bag.

“How about I show you to your room?” She says pleasantly.

Circe heads for the stairs. Glancing back at Killian, Meda follows.

“Show her into the blue room.” Killian calls to Circe. Reaching the first step, Circe turns and nods to her father. The two girls climb the stairs in silence.