Status: Work in progress; First 3 chapters need work, gets good at Chapter 4

Thera

Seven

Once Circe and Meda reach the second floor landing, Meda grabs for her bag.

“I can take that, if you want?”

Circe shrugs and hands over the bag. The two girls stare at each other with the bag between them.

“Who are you?” Circe asks full of pure interest. “I mean, you are an Earthling but you have to be someone special for my father to invite home.” She says more talking out loud than to Meda.

Shouldering her bag, Meda looks away not knowing what to say.

“I’m no one special. He’s just doing someone a favor.” Meda lies shyly.

Before meeting Killian, she had believed it was out of some sense of duty but the talk in the glider changed her view of him.

Squinting her eyes in disbelief, Circe shrugs and walks through the right hallway.

Meda sighs in relief that the interrogation portion is over and trails behind Circe.

Passing closed doors on either side, Circe turns her head towards Meda.

“This is the children’s wing.” She announces.

Meda freezes and wonders why Killian was making her identity so obvious. Oblivious to Meda’s reaction, Circe stops pointing to a door on the left side.

“That is Kronos’s room.” Motioning to the door on the right, she continues, “That is Balthazar.”

Her voice slightly sharpens saying her other brother’s name.

They continue down the hall stopping at the far end, Circe points to another door on the left.

“That is my room.”

She turns to fully face Meda. She moves to the right door and opens it.

“And this is your room.”

Meda walks into a large bedroom. The wall are navy blue, hence the name Killian called it. A king size canopy bed rests against the right wall. Next to the door sits a light wooden armoire with a matching dresser on the other side of the bed. The left side of the room has floor to ceiling windows overlooking the great lawn. Meda stands in the middle of the room breathless.

“Wow.” She exclaims not having any other words to describe the room.

Never living in something bigger than a two-bedroom house, the room seems massive.

Standing in the doorway, Circe laughs.

“Kronos gets the same look when Killian gives him an artifact.”

Circe stops. She eyes Meda closely. Meda searches for anything to focus on besides Circe’s evaluation. Not finding anything, Meda looks back at a wide-eyed Circe.

“That’s it!” Circe finally shrieks. A bit quieter, she asks, “Are you…” She takes in a breath before continuing, “Are you my sister?”

Meda can’t help but hear a hint of hope in Circe’s voice. Meda slowly nods. They stand in silence for a minute. Looking into Circe’s eyes, Meda sees the concept sinking in completely. Circe smiles.

Suddenly, Circe grabs Meda’s hand. She draws Meda out of the room leaving the door open. She scurries down the hall with Meda trying to keep pace.

Scared of Circe’s intentions, Meda halts at the stairs. Circe stumbles on the first step. Regaining her footing, she looks up at Meda.

“We’re going to miss it.” She insists in a whisper.

Meda creases her brow in confusion.

“Miss what?” She whispers back, following Circe’s example.

Circe grins mischievously. “You’ll see.”

She grabs Meda’s hand again. Intrigued by what Circe has to show her, Meda runs down the stairs with her sister.

They skirt around the table and hurry through the hall under the stairs. They pass three doors on the right. The last door is open.

After they rush past it, Kronos sticks his head out the room calling to Circe. She waves her free hand at him to go back in the room. With a huff, he disappears.

The girls turn right at the end of the hall with Circe in the lead and Meda completely lost. Circe shortens her stride to quiet her steps. Meda follows suit.

Coming to a door, Circe crotches down peering at the door. The door is slightly ajar and voices are coming from inside. Circe turns back to Meda and smiles. Meda opens her mouth to ask something but Circe shakes her head with her index finger to her mouth.

The voices become louder. Focusing on the voices, Meda can make out Killian and Lilith’s argument.

“I don’t want her here!” Lilith yells.

“You agreed to let her stay.” Killian replies. His tone is annoyed but controlled.

“That was before I saw here. So looks…” She falters.

“Yes, like Deirdre.” Killian says struggling to say her name.

After a moment of silence, Lilith says sharply, “No, like you.”

Circe looks back at Meda and nods confirming Lilith’s remark.

“I don’t see the problem then.” Killian says bored with the discussion.

Heavy footsteps head toward the door, Circe and Meda stand ready to bolt down the hall.

“No, you wouldn’t.” Lilith sighs almost too quietly to hear from outside the door.

The footsteps stop. Everything is silent for a moment. Then the door flies open as Killian walks out. Closing the door behind him, he stares at the two frozen girls. He looks between the two with a mixture of disappointment and understanding.

“I would not linger if I were you.” He says as he walks away.

Meda and Circe watch him leave. They look at each other and laugh before retreating back down the hall.

As they turn the corner, they see Kronos walking into the hall.

“Why were you running?” He asks.

Circe runs to him. She whispers into his ear, and his eyes widen. He stares at Meda with wonder. Looking back at Circe, he asks, “Really?”

Both Circe and Meda nod at the same time with smiles on their faces. Kronos look back and forth between the two. He smiles goofily like he has a secret as he strides to Meda throwing his arms around her. Meda stumbles back in shock with Kronos still in her arms. After a second, she hugs him back.

“I knew you were special.” Circe says beside them.

Releasing Kronos, they all stand around thinking of something to say. Before they come up with something, Lilith turns the corner. She eyes the entire group until settling on Kronos.

“Kronos, lessons.” She commands.

“I am finished for the day.” He replies pleasantly.

“Fine. Dinner.” She retorts. “All of you.”

She marches past them without another word. They watch her walk down the hall. Once the sound of heels subsides, Circe turns to Meda.

“Let’s give Meda a tour.” Kronos suggests.

Circe nods.

“Absolutely.” She spreads her arms out to the three doors. “These are our studies.”

“Studies?” Meda asks.

“It is where we take our lessons.” Kronos responds.

Circe and Kronos walk down the hall to the foyer. Meda follows hoping not to run into Lilith again so soon. Once in the foyer, Circe waves to her left.

“That is the sitting room. It is where Killian entertains guests.” Circe says bored.

She turns right and heads into the dining room. Meda enters the room with ivory walls and burgundy accents. The wooden table and chairs are a rich mahogany with a large chandelier hanging over the table.

“This is the formal dining room.”

“We never use it.” Kronos adds.

It’s like they practice the tour with Circe in the lead and Kronos giving little insights into each room. Meda smiles about their familiarity.

“It is being prepped for tomorrow night.” Circe continues.

“Tomorrow night?” Meda asks.

Circe turns around to face Meda.

“Killian is hosting the annual G. A. banquet tomorrow night.” Circe informs Meda slightly annoyed.

“Children are not allowed to attend.” Kronos adds trying to explain Circe frustration.

Not knowing what to say, Meda just nods.

Circe turns and walks through the back archway. Meda and Kronos follow behind. The next room is small and sterile with white walls. In the middle of the room sits a metal high top table with matching chairs. In the right corner is a counter with a keypad between two portholes.

“This is the kitchen. It is where we take our meals most days.” Circe says as Kronos walks to the table. He jumps up into one of the chairs dangling his feet in the air.

Seeing no appliances in the room, Meda looks at them confused.

“Where do you cook?” She asks.

Circe and Kronos laugh. When Meda looks down embarrassed, they stop instantly. Kronos jumps out of the chair and walks to the two portholes in the corner.

“The house provides our meals.” He explains apologetically. “See.”

He places his hand in the keypad. The gentle female voice from the glider says his name. With a ding, the door to the right porthole slides open. Inside holds a full plate of food. Kronos takes the plate showing it to Meda. It is sectioned off into three groups: a piece of steak, a mound of rice and a bunch of broccoli florets.

Circe steps closer to Meda.

“The house monitors our portions and nutritional intake.” She clarifies.

“It also takes in account our food preferences to encourage us to eat the entire plate.” Kronos adds.

He walks to the table holding the plate. He sets it down in front of the chair he was sitting at before. Then he walks back to Meda.

“You try.” He says motioning Mea to the keypad.

Meda strolls over to the portholes. She inserts her hand into the keypad. Like with Kronos, the female voice states her name and then dings. The porthole door opens revealing her plate of food. She takes it from the porthole. There is more food on her plate but it is still sectioned like Kronos. She stares at what looks to be a cut of salmon, boiled potatoes and blanched asparagus. The smell makes Meda’s mouth water as she realizes she hasn’t eaten all day.

She takes the plate to the table with Kronos beside her. He sits in his chair gesturing for her to take the one to his left. She sits noticing the utensils for the first time.

Quickly Circe gets her plate from the porthole and takes the chair on the other side of Meda. Circe’s plate has a piece of poultry, similar to chicken, with rice and black beans.

They sit in silence as Kronos and Circe wait for Meda to take her first bite. Meda cuts into the fish. Taking a hesitant bite, she moans in satisfaction. Kronos and Circe smile at her before attacking their own food.

The three eat in comfortable silence smiling at each other between bites.

Once her plate is empty, Meda leans back in her chair pleasantly full.

“Good?” Kronos asks.

“It was amazing.” Meda answers. “It’s similar to my favorite meal from home.”

Seeing his opening, Kronos smiles.

“What’s it like?” He asks.

“What? Earth?” Meda counters.

Kronos sheepishly nods. Meda tilts her head to think of what to say.

“It’s big with people everywhere.”

“Like Hades?” Kronos asks.

Meda creases her brow at him but it’s Circe who answers.

“She doesn’t know about Hades, Kronos.” Circe says patiently. “She’s been here less than a day.” She smiles back at Meda. Kronos drops his head disappointed.

Wondering what Hades is, Meda searches for comparisons from what she has seen so far. She nudges Kronos.

“The cars have wheels and stay on the ground. People have to manually drive them.”

Kronos’s head pops up with widened eyes. He leans closer to Meda for more information but Circe interrupts.

“That seems tedious. If it’s so big, how do you get around quickly?”

Meda looks over at Circe. Being older, her curiosity is more practical but still genuine.

“There are planes that fly for long distance travel.”

Circe nods satisfied.

“Is it mostly ocean like Thera?” Kronos continues the interrogation.

Meda shakes her head.

“There is a lot of ocean but Earth still has few large landmasses.”

“Continents. I read about those.” Kronos says triumphantly. “Have you been to all of them?”

Meda laughs.

“Almost. My mother and I moved around a lot while I was growing up.” She can hear the sadness in her own voice but shakes it away. “I’ve lived on five of them. But that’s rare. People usually stay where they are born.”

Kronos and Circe nod in understanding like some things are universal.

After a quiet minute, Kronos asks, “Why’d you move around so much?”

Meda looks down at her empty plate evading the question. From the corner of her eye, she sees Circe shake her head at Kronos.

Before Meda finds an answer, Killian walks into the room from the other corner. Both Circe and Kronos jump out of their chairs and stand at attention. Uncertain of what to do, Meda stands up too.

Killian saunters to the table and stands behind the empty chair. Looking around the table, he motions his hand.

“Sit, please. I did not mean to interrupt.”

The friendly tone is back in his voice. Meda sits while the two other stare at their father. After a moment of deliberation, they slowly jump back into their chairs.

Nodding his head to the empty plates, Killian says, “I see you are getting acclimated.”

“Yes, Kronos and Circe were kind enough to help.” Meda says formally.

Killian smiles at his two children with pride.

“I hoped they would.”

Kronos beams back at Killian while Circe eyes him in disbelief. Killian leans into the chair relaxing his stance.

“I am afraid you have arrived at an auspicious time.” He says sarcastically.

Meda nods.

“Yes, the G. A. banquet. How discourteous of Tahl?” She quips.

Killian smirks and raises a brow in question.

“Circe told me.”

He smiles at Circe as she looks away expecting a lecture. When she sees the smile, her eyes narrow in suspicion.

Standing a little taller but still holding onto the chair, Killian focuses on Meda.

“I would like you to attend the banquet.”

Circe’s mouth hangs open in out right surprise.

Ignoring her, Killian continues, “I assume it is Tahl’s intention to introduce you to your family.” He pauses looking at his other children. “All of your family.”

Meda frowns in confusion.

“The banquet will give you the opportunity to meet your uncle.”

Meda stares dumbstruck.

“My uncle?” She stutters.

Killian laugh deeply.

“Your mother never told you of her younger brother?” He asks still struggling to mention Deirdre.

Meda shakes her head.

“He is the Ambassador of Avalonia, Dei—her home planet.” The sadness returns to his voice.

Not being able to look at Killian’s sadness, Meda stares at the chair in front of him.

“Thank you.” is all she can say.

Looking over at his other daughter, he adds, “Circe will accompany you to further assist with your adjustment.” He smiles.

Circe’s eyes grow wide.

“Really?” She asks hopeful.

Killian nods. Regaining some of his detached air, he releases the chair.

“Lilith will arrange everything tomorrow.” He informs them before turning to leave.

At the archway, he stops looking back at his children.

“Good night.” He says self-consciously.

Kronos and Circe stare back not know how to answer. Meda smiles.

“Sweet dreams.” She says.

A sad smile crosses Killian’s face as he walks out of the kitchen.

“What’s gotten into him?” Kronos asks once Killian turns the corner. It’s more to himself than to the girls.

Circe shakes her head.

“No clues.” A smile appears. “But I get to attend the banquet.” She squeaks excitedly.

Meda envious Circe’s excitement as dread washes over her. She stands taking her plate back to the counter.

“What do I do with this?” She asks in general.

Kronos points to the left porthole. Meda approaches the porthole. Its door slides open when she gets close. She places the plate inside. Stepping away, the porthole closes.

She turns back to the table. Circe still wears a daydreamer’s smile while Kronos is looking at Meda worriedly.

“I think I will go to my rooms. Maybe we can finish the tour another day.” She says.

Shaking off her reverie, Circe replies, “Of course.” The foolish smile returns. “We could try to squeeze it in tomorrow before the banquet.”

Meda nods halfheartedly.

“Sure.”

Meda heads for the dining room hoping to backtrack her way to her room. Before leaving, she turns to Kronos and Circe.

“Well, good night.” She says and exits before they can answer.

She walks through the dining room trying not to look too closely. When she makes it to the stairs in the foyer, she hears footsteps behind her.

She spins around to see Kronos in the archway.

“Meda?” He asks unsure of himself.

“Yeah, Kro.” Meda exhales.

“I’m glad you’re here.” He says after a moment.

Meda smiles down at him feeling a little lighter.

“Thanks, Kro.”

She turns to the stairs.

“Meda?” Kronos calls again walking a few steps close.

Leaning against the railing, Meda says, “Yeah?”

“Sweet dreams.” He says before running back to the kitchen.

With a sigh, Meda trudges up the stairs and walks to her room. When she enters, the curtains are closed, and the room is dark. Finding her bag in semi-darkness, she changes into her pajamas replaying the events of the day. Suddenly exhausted, she lies in bed and stares at the unseen ceiling. All her bluster of the day falls away as she fears what the days ahead will bring.

Closing her eyes, she takes in slow deep breaths. She reminds herself that being here is a good thing no matter the hurdles. Picturing Kronos in the foyer, she smiles. She falls asleep knowing at least one person wants her here.