Status: Active

Never on My Lips

oo1.

“Well,” those familiar lips started. “If you change your mind, you know where to find me.”

It always seems like a person’s last words to you mean the most. Those famous final syllables that slipped out of his mouth haunted me for God knows how long, and, despite my magnificent talent for forgetting things, it looked as if that was just one memory I was never meant to forget.

Brendon and I haven’t spoken in years. In fact, at some point, it was like he practically vanished from my sight all together. The pre-teen with the thick, black-framed glasses and the layered hair was never to be seen all through the rest of high school. That was freshman year, almost three years ago.

Senior year was truly no different than all the previous years. Aside from the new found sense of familiarity, the walls were just as detestable as they were the day I stepped off the school bus and never looked back. By now, we all just wanted to leave this place, and go someplace to start anew, a clean slate, the better and more truthful versions of ourselves.

But if there was one person who had changed since freshman year, it would have been me. In the good way or the bad way, I couldn’t tell for the life of me.

Janie’s petite lips nibbled at my spine, trying to get my attention just as a kitten would. As innocent as ever, she just wanted me to pay attention to her because she knew that once we stepped outside, the curtain would open, and we would just be those two girls who always hung out—the best friends everyone always saw together—not the couple we actually were.

It wasn’t until sophomore year that Janie sought me out. Given her pure stature, you’d never have guessed she was into girls, and I, on the other hand, was too preoccupied with school to look at anybody else. And before we knew it, Fridays weren’t just sleepovers; they were date nights and concrete memories we created together. It’s been two years already.

“Lydia,” she whispered just over my shoulder. “We have to leave soon.”

I nodded, shutting my laptop promptly before grabbing my car keys.

We ran passed my parents and out through the door.

And still no one knew.