Status: Whale this was an assignment i did in my Urban Lit class so i might as whale share u feel

Lil' Red

In his Debt

I stared into his big blue eyes as he smiled and gave me back my basket.

"Thank you, Tom-Mr. Wolfe!" I said as I tied to re-catch my breath.

"You ought to be careful around here," he said "There are a lot of bad people. I wouldn't want anything to happen to you."

I thought about running away, but after potentially saving my life I didn't think that was the appropriate way to thank him. So I just slow walked forward as he trailed along beside me.

"I know him, nothing would have happened." I said.

"You didn't act like you knew him. It seemed like a whole new person, was it?"

At first I didn't know to what he was referring to. But then it became clear. He was right. Andre was a whole new person, he wasn't the same gentle boy I had picnics with. He was now a grown man influenced by a terrible group of chaos. He is a whole new person. I no longer know him anymore.

"In a matter of speaking, yes." I replied.

"Well i'm glad I was there, to protect you." He smiled and held onto my hand.

"where ya headed to?"

Sudden flash backs came to my head about Momma. The "DON'T TALK TO NOBODY Y'HEAR?"
I know I shouldn't talk to strangers, but this man just saved my life. He's another exception along with Mr. Townsworth, I guess.

"To my Uncles house," I raised up the basket "I have to bring him this."

"What's in it?" he said with a dark smile as he tried to reach for it. Before snatching it away I noticed his long and pointy fingernails. They resembled claws in a way.

"I don't know, Momma said not to look in. And I won't."

His smiled enlarged, displaying his big white teeth. "So you're a good girl?" he asked.

I shook my head.

He then asked me about my Uncle. Where he lived and what was his name. At first I was cautious to give out too much information but it turns out he knew him after all!

"Oh I remember him! We were old time High School buds. I had no idea he had such a beautiful niece though."

My cheeks reddened. "Don't be such a dweeb!" I thought to myself, "Pull yourself together!"

At the sight of my refusal to respond due to the heat passing through my body he offered me to join him in a trip to the local mall down the street.

"I should be getting to my Uncles'," I said hesitantly "He is not a patient man."

"It'll all be alright," he said "I'll talk to him for you if he gives you ny beef, ok?"

I nodded my head and smiled. "Okay." I said. We began walking down together as he suddenly held my hand.

It puzzled me what this man, Tom, had found so great in me. Was it my beauty? My clothing of choice? My skin color? All of these things passed through my head. But the biggest mystery was what this man could have found so good in a girl whom's name he yet did not know.