Mad House

men in white coats (getting so close)

Delaney Hudson


Her uniform had been starched and perfectly pressed, still sealed tight in the plastic. The dry cleaners tag hanging loosely over the garment and the wire hanger.

The bag let out a fuzz as she tore it apart, her delicate hands dropping the plastic to the floor.

The uniform was an A-line dress with a white collar, the dress covered in very thin white and red pinstripes, the outer bib a fresh white color.

Her hat and shoes were laying on her freshly made bed.

Delaney had waited for this her whole life.
She had finally gotten a job as a nurse. An old family friend had put her in contact with a doctor. She had gone on one interview and got the job at Bridlebrim instantly. According to Dr. James they had had quite the influx of patients in recent months and they no longer had enough nurses on staff to keep up with such a facility. She was ecstatic to find someone who needed her as much as she needed them.

Delaney walked into the kitchen receiving smiles from her mother and grandfather, her grandmother blankly staring at the knitting needles intertwined with her fingers. Delaney mumbled a quick 'good morning' before rounding the table pressing a kiss to her grandmothers cheek, and just like every morning before that, she startled the tired old woman.

"Do I know you?" and just like every other morning, Delaney's heart broke.

"Nana," she spoke softly, her hand grasping at the woman's shoulder, "it's me- Delaney." the woman wrinkled brows wound together, her neck craning to catch Delaney's ice blue eyes.

"Oh no, no-" she huffed, her head shaking adamantly from side to side. "you're not my Delaney. My Delaney is eight-" she spoke, her smile suddenly beaming. "she just won the spelling bee! Such a smart little girl she is-"

This was a daily occurrence, and Delaney wasn't actually sure why she had bothered to get her hopes up every single morning. She knew when she left her bedroom, her grandmother- Nana Meridith - would have no recollection of the young woman Delaney had become. Nana Meridith hadn't retained any new memories since 1944- the very same year Delaney had lost her father. The doctors called it Alzheimer's Disease and they had assured her family she wouldn't ever actually get better, but Delaney held onto hope because she couldn't bare letting go of the person her Nana Meridith had been.

"Meridith, love-" her grandfather cooed, "this is Delaney."

Delaney shook her head, "It's okay, papa- don't upset her..."

"Are you my nurse?" her grandmother interrupted, clearly taking note of Delaney newest uniform.

"No- Jane will be your nurse today..." Delaney promised, taking a seat beside the woman, "but have you eaten your breakfast yet?" Delaney asked, earning a blank stare.

It was in Delaney's nature to be a caretaker.
She had taken care of her grandmother since she fell ill, she was young at the time, but fell right into the role, but this job meant Delaney could no longer stay home and care for her- she would now leave the task in the hands of a stranger. It wasn't that Delaney didn't think this woman was capable- but no one could care for her grandmother quite like she had.

"You better be off to work, love..." her mother's soft voice tapered off.

Delaney nodded softly, "Nana," she bent down, her eyes meeting her grandmothers, "do you need anything before I go?" her browns wound tight.

"Do I know you? You look so familiar..." Delaney left out a soft chuckle, pressing another kiss to her grandmothers warm cheek.

"In another life... she mumbled.

The drive to Brindlebrim was a gloomy one. The a cold front rolled in over night bringing in rain clouds. The rains had drizzled slowly throughout the night, ensuring that, once again they would see another day without sunshine.

The moment Delaney arrived she was wised by Dr. James into his office as he tossed a stack of haphazard charts at her. "Everything you'll need is in there." he grumbled before taking off once again, hardly giving Delaney time to follow after.

But she was quickly stopped in her tracks as two men tightly gripped at a boy that didn't look to be much older than Delaney- his heels dug helplessly into the floor.

His screams were blood curdling as he thrashed from within the tight grip the two men in white coats had on him. He was bound in a straight jacket with silver cuffs around his ankles, his dark, curly hair bouncing with every thrash.

"Don't let it frighten you-" Dr. James cooed, his hand gripping softly at Delaney's forearm. "these episodes are quite common with Mr. Styles. He's a paranoid schizophrenic-"

Delaney swallowed hard, only managing a nod.

This was the first time since she had accepted the job at Brindlebrim that she had let the thought cross her mind -maybe she had bitten off more than she could chew- taking a job at an asylum, but then again she had only taken the job three days ago.

Dr. James snapped his fingers, drawing back Delaney's attention. "Now, Miss. Hudson-" he motioned for her to follow his down the dark hall. She felt uneasy as the floors creaked with her every step. "you'll need to dispense medication first. Once that's been done we can call the patients to breakfast."

Delaney watched as he pulled a ring of keys from his pocket, unlocking a door with a small glass window. "We keep medications in here."

He flipped a switch, quickly illuminating the room- Delaney looked around, there were shelves upon shelves filled with hundreds of types of medications. But her attention was quickly redirected as Dr. James began to shake and open an array of bottles, throwing pills into small plastic cups.

"You'll need to start with Liam Payne- he's quite the difficult one. He is famous for cheeking his medication. You'll need to watch out for him, he swears up and down to anyone stupid enough to listen that he's innocent and he's been framed..." Dr. James was flamboyant in the way he spoke about Mr. Payne- his gestures were big and his voice exaggerated. "but he's guilty as sin- the poor bastard burnt down his own family's home. Should have been given the bloody electric chair if you ask me-" he rambled on.

This was only the second time Delaney had spoke to Dr. James- but he made her uneasy.

"Dr. James, don't you think you should be trying to help him?"

Dr. James let out a thick, labored sigh. "Delaney, sweetheart-" he cooed, his cold, calloused hands clasping Delaney's face. "the crazy that runs through Liam's veins can't hardly be helped."

Delaney took a deep breath, shaking Dr. Jame's grasp. "I'll have to respectfully disagree sir. You can help everyone, if you really try."

Dr. James narrowed his glare, scoffing- clearly disgusted.

"That's the problem with women- you think you can fix everyone! You belong in the kitchen! Every single one of you!"

Delaney's eyes went wide as Dr. James stormed off, slamming the door behind him. The fear he had struck her with making her breath go still- hand pressed flush to her chest, her heart pounding so loud she could swear it was between her ears.

"Are you okay?" a tiny voice called, making her finally release the breath she had been holding.

Delaney looked up to find a small red headed girl staring back at her as she closed the door- her uniform identical to Delaney's.

"Yeah-" she breathed out offering the girl a half-hearted smile.

"He gets like that sometimes..." she breathed before smoothing down the skirt of her uniform, holding one hand out to Delaney, "I'm Mildred- but everybody calls me Millie."

Delaney held out her hand, "Delaney-"

Millie moved to the cabinet as she began to fish for something on the first shelf. "So..." Millie's eyes drifted back up to Delaney, who was popping Lithium tabs our of the foil blister pack. "how long have you been a nurse?"

"I guess about-" Delaney thought, her eyes rolling up to the ceiling, "three years. I did it so I could take care of my Nana..." she smiled, "how about you?"

Millie swallowed hard, "a few months, this is my first job so I'm still learning..."

"Well," Delaney spoke, offering a soft smile. "don't ever hesitate if you need anything. I'd be more than happy to help..." Millie smiled.

"Really?" Delaney nodded softly, "Thank you!" the room fell silent, but as Millie examined the medication in front of Delaney her smile fell. "Liam Payne is your first patient?"

Delaney just nodded softly.

"Be careful- he's," Millie hesitated, her eyes flickering, "he's dangerous." she finally muttered, choosing her words carefully. "He plays with fire-"

Delaney was taken aback by her last statement as she quickly scanned the medication,- "Lithium seems a little strong for someone who plays with matches..."

Millie shrugged helplessly. "Dr. James insists on it. there is no arguing with him."

"fair enough..." Delaney mumbled, making her way to the fridge.

"Just watch out for yourself?" Millie asked, almost like she was making a promise.

"No worries, love. I will...Millie-" she stopped, her fire hair falling over her shoulder as she turned. "which room is Liam in?"

"Top of the steps, hang a right, hes clear at the end of the hall on the left." he nodded, mumbling a quick 'thank you'.

The wood steps let out a great creek with every step of Delaney's great climb- but she didn't let it bother her, instead she walked slowly taking in everything. The walls were dark, large cobwebs consumed every ceiling-corner. Every nook and cranny covered in filth.

For a hospital, this place was filthy.

As she finally reached the landing she made her way down the hall, finding the room she was looking for. The door was black, the paint cracked.

Delaney swallowed before taking a great breath, summoning every ounce of courage within her trembling body before she raised her hand, giving three good raps to the door before pushing it open.

The room was dark, not a single lamp to be found.
The walls were a dingy-creme color, the only light in the room coming from the window which had no curtains. The over-cast sky from last night rain cast a grey hue over the room. The bed composed of steel posts, a single white sheet for the poor man to cover himself with. The door had been torn off the closet and his clothes lay in a neatly stacked and folded pile inside.

He sat facing the window, his back to the door, his palms digging into the mattress, his feet just barely brushing the floor.

And just like he knew no one was listening, he sung-

"You're lovely, with your smile so warm. And your cheeks so soft, there is nothing for me but to love you, and the way you look tonight. With each word your tenderness grows, tearing my fears apart. And that laugh that wrinkles your nose, touches my foolish heart. Yes you're lovely, never, ever change. Keep that breathless charm. Won't you please arrange it? 'Cause I love you just the way you look tonight..."

"Hello?" Delaney finally echoed.

"Nicola?" the voice cracked- he was hoarse, like he had been without water for some time.

Delaney went to answer, but the complete and utter despair of the room rendered her silent for a moment.

"No um-" her voice clearly startling him as he stood quickly holding his hands out as if to protect himself. "No I-" Delaney shuddered, holding her own hand out in defense. "I'm not here to hurt you. My name is Delaney-"

His hair was disheveled and black circles lined his eyes, but his beard was trimmed to perfection and even in his current state, she couldn't help but notice how handsome he was.

"I'm a nurse. I'm new..." he just kind of nodded. "how're you feeling this morning, Liam?"

His eyes traced up and down Delaney, still clearly trying to decide if he could trust her. He lifted a brow, his strong arms crossing over his chest.

"Are you friends with him?" Liam finally spoke. He was well spoken and strong, which she didn't expect.

"Who?" Delaney asked, her brows winding together.

"Dr. James..." he mumbled. Delaney shook her head 'no', Liam's body instantly relaxing.

"I brought your medication..." he glowered at her, but before he could respond she produced a glass, making his eyes go wide.

"Is that orange juice?" his reaction was certainly something she didn't expect.

"Yes?" she was careful, unsure if it was some sort of odd trigger for him. "These pills don't have a safety coating. If they start to dissolve they'll taste proper awful- the orange juice will offset the the taste and-"

With three great strides he took the pill cup from her left hand and the juice from her right. He tipped his head back, swallowing (at least she thought he did) the pills before he took the juice. He took one slow sip before smiling.

"This is the real stuff-" he gleamed, holding the glass up. "does Dr. James know?"

"No..." Delaney mumbled softly.

It was then that Liam tipped the glass back, drinking until the the last bit of the orange liquid was gone. He handed the glass back to her, muttering a quiet 'thank you'. "We aren't allowed juice-" he finally muttered.

Delaney furrowed her brows.

What sort of place was this? The residents weren't allowed juice?

Delaney mumbled a sarcastic- "aren't you allowed blankets either?" -but she instantly regretted it.

"Some of us..." Liam muttered, Delaney's eyes fell to Liam, horrified. Liam shrugged casually, "I tore mine apart and tried to-" he stopped, shrugging, "well, you know." Delaney's eyes went wide.

She had been told he was a pyromaniac, not suicidal.

She swallowed hard concocting something in her mind to clear the awkward air, "you have a lovely voice, by the way." for the very first time Liam's cheeks tinted pink, and he dared to smile.

"Thank you...I'm no Fred Astaire though..." his blush darkened, "maybe you'll sing with me someday?" Delaney smiled, nodding.

"I would love that Liam." he swallowed hard, smoothing down his navy uniform.

"Will you walk with me to breakfast?" Delaney let out a soft chuckle.

"Of course..."

Liam had been at Brindlebrim just shy of a year- and this was the first time in well...ever that he felt safe. It was the first time he didn't feel like a bad social experiment, and that maybe, just maybe with time she may believe the truth, and that sparked a feeling in him he hadn't felt in ages- hope. Because for the first time since Liam began his stay at Brindlebrim, he finally saw a light at the end of this tunnel that was hell. She was blonde with the biggest blue eyes he had every seen, her skin was like porcelain.

And her name was Delaney.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello everyone!
I'm Becca and I'll be writing for Delaney. I still new but I'm so excited for you all to see what we have in store for you!
Thank you so much for reading (: