Status: Active - Updated when possible

So Now, Run

We Bleed the Same Blood, You and Me

After Nick left me to go smoke, I stood there in a slight haze taking in what had just happened to me. To say I was smitten was a vast understatement. I was shaken from my daydreaming of Nick when I realized someone was gently shaking my shoulder to get my attention. It was their keyboardist…Tom I think? I honestly wasn’t really paying attention as horrible as that sounds. I didn’t realize I was still standing next to them. He looked at me with furrowed eyebrows asking me if I was alright. I nodded my head, waved it off, and went to leave. I passed Nick in the hallway on my way out. He didn’t quite make it to his destination of outside to smoke, as two people had stopped him to talk and he was in the middle of animatedly telling a story to them. Not wanting to interrupt, but also finding it incredibly adorable, I made brief eye contact with him, bit my lip, and walked past them down the narrow staircase to go outside.

I got in my car, and took a calming deep breath. The part of the night I was dreading most was approaching. I hadn’t been home in about four years. I suck. I really didn’t want to stay at home, but as I sat in the car, I knew I wouldn’t be able to stay awake long enough to drive the two hours back to school tonight. Besides, my classes start late tomorrow, so even if I sleep in a bit, it won’t matter. If I miss those classes it’s not a big deal. I haven’t missed any classes yet this semester, so one skip wouldn’t kill me. I’m a freaking senior. I could jumpstart my weekend. Whatever. I couldn’t procrastinate on going home any longer or else I wouldn’t be able to make the half hour drive home.

I started the car, and plugged my phone into my tape adapter for music. Still being on a super concert high, I decided what better than to jam to the amazing band I just listened to?
Before I knew it I had pulled into my childhood home. God, nothing changed in the last four years. I’m not sure whether to find that comforting or disturbing. I looked in the driveway and noted that both my brothers’ cars were in the driveway. He still had that gosh awful car that I hated ever since he was so determined to buy it so long ago. Some things never change. As much as I hate that car, I can’t deny that it made me smile. To know that my brother, after all these years, still drives that same car makes me think that maybe he hasn’t changed either. Hell, I’ve changed a lot since I left. I fear they wouldn’t recognize me anymore, therefore losing my “twin” status with my brother. I pulled in the short driveway and parked next to the car I loathed so much and got out. I walked around to the front of the house, praying my keys still worked. I didn’t want to wake anyone as it was nearing one in the morning and all the lights in the house were off. I was able to get my key in with ease and quietly opened the door and shut it behind me. I looked around and from what little I could see from the light coming in the windows from the street lights outside, nothing had changed. The house looked exactly like I had left it when I moved out.

I hitched my backpack higher on my shoulder and quietly walked up the stairs, avoiding the spots on the stairs that squeaked due to age. Amazing how old habits don’t die. I still remember which spots on the floor creak from past experiences in high school when I would sneak out with my brother to hang out with him and his band to party. I hadn’t thought about those days in years, and being back in this house brought all these memories back. Memories I thought I had long forgotten. However I found myself recalling the most minute details about my past life that didn’t even matter; down to what clothes people were wearing or what cologne I smelt the musk of when hugging them. Strange how memories work. I made my way to my room, still the second room on the right side of the hallway. I passed my brother’s room on the way to mine, able to just barely hear him snoring through the other side of the door. Being the youngest two children, our parents always made us share a bathroom. (We have a bathroom that connects between our bedrooms). I used to hate having to share a bathroom with him because sometimes he took as long as I did. As we got older however, it became part of our morning routine; each of us at our respective sinks brushing our teeth or fixing the mange we called hair all the while listening to kick ass music. Like I said before, I got my taste in music from my brother. If it wasn’t for his musical influence, I would be listening to solely Top 40. Yeah, so glad he saved me from that.

I made it to my room, and found my door still open. I walked inside and noticed that everything was still in its place. Granted most of the room was empty from moving out, but many things were left untouched. My band posters of The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd still lined my walls. I looked through my dresser and noticed I still had a few pairs of basketball shorts and some giant t-shirts that I had left behind. I quickly changed into those and fell asleep in bed, feeling for once like everything in my life was going right and I was where I was supposed to be. I was, for once, glad to be home.

I was awaken the next morning to the sounds of “Beauty and the Beast” from David Bowie’s album “Heroes” coming through the neighboring walls. For a moment I was startled and wondering where the hell I was because my roommates at school never listened to music. Once I looked around and remembered that I was at home, I smiled, and realized that it was simply my brother. I saw that both bathroom doors were open, so I decided I would drop in and say hey.

I got up from bed and sauntered over to my brothers room. I decided not to scare him by coming in through the bathroom, but by being decent and knocking from his hallway door. I knocked on the door, and heard a muffled, “come in”. I opened the door and said, “Hey Gare-bear! How’s my favorite brother?” I swear time stopped. He looked up from picking out his outfit for the day and stared at me wide-eyed.

“Charlie?!? What the hell are you doing here?”

“Wow, nice to see you too. Douche.” I was kinda pissed to have a less than familial greeting. I knew it had been a few years, but damn, he and I had left on good terms. I thought we’d be okay. I guess I was wrong. I rolled my eyes at him and turned to exit his doorway. I didn’t get far before he sprinted over to me and grabbed my arm, forcing me to stop. He spun me around to face him and engulfed me in the biggest hug. Once the initial shock wore off, I hugged him back just as tightly. I didn’t realize I had been crying until he pulled away slightly and asked me what was wrong. I just shook my head because honestly, nothing was wrong. I was just so happy to be reunited with my brother.

“Are you sure nothing’s wrong Char? I mean, you’re still crying…”

I lightly chuckled. “I promise Gare. Nothing is wrong. I’m just really happy to see you. I’ve missed you so much.”

“That’s why ya come home ya goob! C’mere, give me another hug.”

He gave me another bone crushing hug. When he finally released me from that hug, he turned to go back into his room and began looking through his dresser for what to wear. I leaned against his doorframe and decided to poke some fun at him. “Ya know, I’m glad you finally decided to cut your hair and shave that ridiculous beard. You were beginning to look like a caveman.”

“Hey! I actually really liked the beard and long hair…”

“Haha, I’m just kidding G. I actually kinda miss it. It definitely suited your style. At least I thought so. It gave you that 1970s look that you’re so fond of.”

“Right?!? Why didn’t anyone else see it that way?”

“I don’t know bro. I’m just sayin’…Well, I’ll let you finish getting ready. I need to be heading out soon. It’s,” I looked over at his clock, “Shit! It’s 9:30! I have class in an hour and a half and a two hour drive back! Dammit I’ve gotta go!” I ran out of his room and into mine when I heard a voice from downstairs yell back, “Language!”

Mom always hated cursing. I blame Garrett. I got it from him. Well, and his band mates. They curse like sailors when unsupervised, at least they used to. Who knows how they speak now that they're away from the house touring all the time. I used to be so pure of speech until I met and hung out with that lot. It was for the better though. I missed those goofs. I brushed those memories aside as I grabbed my extra clothes from my backpack and quickly changed. I was in the midst of packing up my stuff and making my bed when Garrett walked into my doorway.

“Hey sis, is it really important that you be in class today? Like, I haven’t seen you more than a couple minutes in the last four years. Couldn’t you just jump-start your weekend and spend some time with your favorite big brother?”

Okay, maybe I could see the twin thing between us…

As if on cue, Trey walks in the doorway to peer over Garrett’s shoulder, “You?!? Nah, it’s obvious that I’m her favorite older brother. Right Char?" He started to walk off until it dawned on him that I was here. "Wait. Charlie. You’re here! Holly hell it’s been what, four years? Dammit get over here and give me a hug!”

Sometimes I really loved my brothers. Now would be one of those times. Trey pushed Garrett aside and came over to me and engulfed me in the third bear hug of the morning. By this point I was dreading seeing my parents. Not just because of the inescapable lecture I was likely to receive about not coming home, but just seeing how Trey and Garrett responded to my return, I shudder to think of how my parents will react.

Once Trey released me from his firm grasp, but kept an arm around my shoulder as he asked, “So sis, not that I’m not thrilled to see you, but when do you leave? I just want to find out so I can prepare myself to go into proper mourning mode.”

He then put his free hand over his heart, and proceeded to fake cry. I just rolled my eyes, shoved his arm off me and laughed at how ridiculous he was acting.

“Really, the better question should be why are both of you still living at home? I mean, you are adults right? Or did you miss that step?”

They both came over and playfully punched my arm.

“Hey, I’m out touring like nine months out of the year. Paying rent or payments for a place I’ll only spend like three actual months living in is pretty pointless. Granted, Falyn moved down here so we are looking at a place, so give me a break.”

“Ok, ok Gare. You’re off the hook. You tour. Trey, what’s your excuse?”

“Hey! I have my own place thank you very much! I was just here for the night. I came over last night for dinner and stayed late and didn’t feel like driving home!”

Garrett scoffed. “Dude, you live down the street. You really don’t have an excuse.”

“Man, I was really tired!” He laughed and lightly pushed Garrett on the arm. “Well kids, I’m going downstairs for breakfast. I smell bacon and eggs. We all know what that means.”

We all replied in unison, “MOM’S OMELETS!”

Trey ruffled my hair a bit and left the room. Garrett and I were left awkwardly standing in my room until he decided to speak up.

“So Char, there’s this party tonight…”

“Look Gare, as much as I miss your idiot friends, I’m not sure it’s such a good idea if I go.”

“Firstly, they're your idiot friends, too. Secondly, why not? The guys miss you!”

“Yeah and I miss them too, but I don’t feel like reliving my high school years again.”

“Aw c’mon! The guys will be there, along with a bunch of people you don’t know. It’ll be fun! It will be just like old times when we’d sneak out of the house while mom and dad were asleep. Please!”

He then gave me his most pathetic puppy dog pout. He was using my weakness against me. He knew I couldn’t say no to his pout. Especially that one. Especially after four years of thinking I had become immune to it only to find out I was more easily swayed by it than before.

“Ugh. Alright fine. Who all is going to be there?”

“Like I said, just the usual gang and some other friends. There’s actually a couple other bands that are from around here that Halvo has been raving about and has talked with them. He decided to invite them over.”

Knowing the music buff my brother was, I had to ask this next question. “Okay. With that being said, and knowing you, how are they? Do you like their music?”

He stood there pondering for a moment. “Well, out of the two, I’ve only listened to one of them. From what I’ve heard, they’re pretty great. They’ve got this great retro-esque sound that is so different than anything I’ve heard lately. They were actually in town recently…last night I think?”

I froze where I stood, wondering if he could possibly be talking about the band I saw last night that I was going to introduce to him. There's no way. I hesitantly asked, “What’s the band’s name?”

“The Dreamcoats.”

Oh. My. God. It is totally the same band I saw last night. Meaning Garrett has already beat me to the chase of listening to them. Meaning he’s listened to them because Halvo was raving about them. Meaning they’re one of the two bands that are coming to the party tonight. Meaning. Shit. Nick will probably be coming. There’s no way…what are the odds that the guy that I went soft for is coming to my brother’s bands’ party. That’s too much of a coincidence. How….This doesn’t happen to normal people. These type of coincidences don’t just happen.
Garrett must’ve noticed my internal panic attack at the exciting possibility of seeing Nick again.

“Ugh, sis. You alright? You’re kinda catatonic at the moment…”

“Oh. Yeah, I’m fine. Promise. Just uh, realized something. Not a big deal.” Totally a big deal, but talking boys with Gare is like talking boys with my dad; they give me absolute shit about it. That’s why I always went to Trey. He was always the most understanding about me and boys. He would be the overprotective older brother, but he knew how to respect my boundaries and not to harass me about it. I’ll definitely be seeking his advice before tonight. The last thing I need is to screw things up with Nick.

Garrett quirked an eyebrow and nodded, not really believing me and walked out of my room to go get breakfast. Well, looks like I’m going to a party tonight. I looked down at my attire: a vintage Rolling Stones tee, dark skinny jeans, and black Chucks. Not exactly my ideal outfit to wear to a party. As much as I loathe shopping, I may have to go out and get a few outfits not only for tonight but for the weekend seeing as I didn’t plan on staying.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror and sighed. Tonight was going to be interesting that’s for sure.
♠ ♠ ♠
*title credit: White Walls by The Maine*

Here's the next chapter!! So surprise! Garrett is the brother :) Thank you so so much for those that have commented, read, subscribed, and recommended!! It seriously means so much :) Y'all are the best! Oh, and I'm also writing another story alongside this one, an original fiction piece. It's about 15 chapters in so it's pretty far along. Here's the link if you are interested: Love in All the Wrong Places

MichiamoNicola : Thank you so much! Hope this chapter doesn't disappoint!

balladofben : As you saw, Charlie's brother isn't Pat, though I was seriously considering it at one point...but I'm excited to see how he'll be incorporated later in this story.

x-coolstorybr0 : Thanks so much!!

So...what do y'all think is going to happen at the party??? Will Nick actually show?? Thanks for the feedback thus far!!