Status: Active - Updated when possible

So Now, Run

Recognition; Something Wasn't Right

I woke up the next morning sprawled out on the living room couch. I looked to my left to see the bodies of my friends scattered around the living room floor and laying against various pieces of furniture. I tried to sit up, but felt something holding my legs to the couch. I slowly sit up and notice none other than my brother Garrett sitting on top of my feet, completely passed out from exhaustion. I tactfully remove my captured legs from under him and get off the couch. I go to the kitchen to grab some water and notice a few people passed out in here as well. Must have been some wild party once I fell asleep. I know, I fell asleep during a rowdy party. Fun fact: I can sleep anywhere and through anything if the time calls for it.

I carefully stepped over the sleeping bodies littering the floor and made my way to the fridge to grab a water bottle. I was in the process of standing upright from bending over to get the water from the bottom shelf when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. I close the fridge door and turn around. Who else do I see but a pissed off John staring me down with his toned arms crossed over his bare torso.

“Do you mind? You’re blocking the fridge.”

I quirk an eyebrow at him. “Cranky in the morning much aren’t we Mr. O’Callaghan? Did someone not get laid last night?”

He just huffed and pushed past me to open the fridge to extract a bottle of water also. He quickly opened the bottle and downed about half the bottle before reaching into one of the cabinets above the sink and grabbing some Aleve. He took out a few pills and swallowed them before turning back to me.

“What? Why do you keep staring at me?”

“What’s your problem? Why are you so angry at me? I didn’t do anything to Pat if that’s what you’re so pissed about.”

“Forget it. Like you would get it.”

He pushed past me again and made his way over the maze of bodies before heading back to his room in the garage.

I rolled my eyes and made my way back to the couch to wake up Trey and Garrett so we could head home. I knew I would be driving because of how hung-over they’d be this morning. I got to the couch and gently shook Garrett awake.

“Hey Gare. Wake up dude. We need to head home.”

He slowly fluttered his eyes open before reaching with both hands to grip his head.

“My god how much did I drink last night? I’ve got the hang-over from Hell!”

“Don’t worry. I planned on driving. Where’s the keys?”

He groped his pockets to try and find where they went. After searching all his pockets, the panic slowly rising on his features, he turns to me and says, “I uh, can’t find the keys…”

I just stare at him. What the hell. Now we’ve got to find where he could’ve dropped them among this mess of people and trash littering the place. He stood up and I first checked the couch cushions where he had been sitting. Nothing there. I knew it would be useless to ask him to try to retrace his steps because he probably doesn’t remember much of what happened shortly after our arrival the night before. I scan the people asleep on the floor in search of Trey and found him leaning up against the wall by the sliding door that leads to the back yard. I make my way over to him to wake him up in hopes that maybe Gare gave him the keys last night as well as inform him of our departure once we find the keys.

I was almost to Trey when I felt something slightly heavy and pointy hit me on my left shoulder blade. Reaching back to rub my back where I was just hit, I look and see Garrett’s keys and John retreating back to his room without a second glance.

***

We arrived home, luckily our parents were already long gone and at work. We stumble into the house and I head into the kitchen to make the guys my famous hangover breakfast consisting of lots of bacon with some eggs and biscuits. I turn on the stove and begin to get the ingredients out of the fridge and freezer while the guys slowly stumble into the kitchen and collapse at the island. I chuckle, pour them each giant glasses of water and set out a couple of Aleve tablets by their glasses. I was in the process of putting the bacon in the frying pan when my phone buzzed on the counter beside me. My brothers groaned in response to the noise. I quickly turn toward them and apologize before checking to see who text me. It was from an unknown number.

Unknown: Hey Charlie. It’s Nick. Hope this isn’t weird. I stole your number from one of the guys’ phones last night while they were passed out since I didn’t get to ask for yours before you passed out on me, too. ;) Can I see you soon?

A huge smile spread across my face as I read the message. This man is too charming for his own good. As much as I love the attention, I don’t want to come across as too eager, however I don’t want to play games either. I internally debated on whether I should reply yet or what I should say. As I stood there debating, Trey spoke up.

“Based on the look on your face, seems like lover-boy has your number and wants to see you again. Tell him yes, but don’t tell him when you’re free. Make him step it up.”

I just stared at him incredulously. How the hell would he have picked that up? I stood there aghast, my thoughts quickly interrupted by Garrett.

“Woah, woah, woah. Lover-boy? Charlie…why is Trey talking about you having a Loverboy? What’s this about? How come he knows about this and I don’t? I’m not liking this…”

Trey just chuckled and patted Garrett on the back. “Chill dude. I’ve got it under control. You don’t have to worry about a thing.”

“Why does she have a lover-boy Trey?”

I could see Garrett’s normally calm demeanor quickly fade and anger begin to rise rapidly through his features. I decided I would step in and talk to him about it.

“Gare, I promise I’ll tell you about it after you sober up more. Just concentrate on getting rid of your hangover and I’ll tell you all about it later.”

I saw him physically relax right before he slumped back down into the stool and proceeded to collapse again on top of the island countertop.

I turn to a confused looking Trey and just wink as I turn back towards the stove to finish our breakfast. I flipped the bacon over and began to work on the eggs when I decided to reply to Nick’s text.

Me: Nick…so you essentially stole my number without permission huh? That little stunt may have just cost you seeing me again ;)

Nick: No! That wasn’t my intention at all! I swear! I was going to ask for your number but you had already fallen asleep and I didn’t want to wake you! When I woke up you were gone. I was desperate. Please can I see you again?

Me: I’m just giving you a hard time. Of course you can see me again : )

Nick: When are you free?

Me: Depends on what you have in mind

Nick: How about I keep it a surprise and I’ll pick you up tonight around 7:30. Dress comfortably.
I once again smiled uncontrollably, loving this playful banter we were able to have with each other while still keeping it very casual.

Me: I’ll be ready. Where should I meet you?

Nick: I got your address from John. I’ll pick you up at your house. See you soon. : )


He got my address from John? Great. That’s exactly what I needed to happen; a reason for John to be even more pissed at me. Honestly, I don’t know why his anger towards me is bothering me so much other than the fact that his foul mood is putting a damper on everyone’s fun. I decided to brush it off. I don’t care what John O’Callaghan has to say about my dating life. He and I have never really gotten along. Well, we always seemed to tolerate each other. It’s not like we were ever really that rude to each other until recently. Yes we poked fun at each other, but that’s all it ever was: fun. We never had malicious intent towards each other; at least I never had towards him; that is until yesterday when he decided to give me the third degree.

I’m not going to let his bitterness over what happened between Pat and I four years ago effect my time with Nick. I’m leaving for school tomorrow, and I’m not sure how often I’ll get to see Nick so I better make the best of my time. I had no idea what Nick has planned for tonight, but I can’t wait to find out.
♠ ♠ ♠
*title credit: The Hunch - Rooney*

Sorry for the lack of updates. Here's the next chapter, albeit short. It gets better (and longer) I promise! And I don't know, I kinda really enjoy writing John like this, as well as the snarky/sarcastic banter he and Charlie share...so sorry if you hate me because it'll only get worse from here just forewarning you.

If you wanna listen to the playlist I've created for this story, listen here

Here's another story I'm working on: Love in All the Wrong Places