Status: Active - Updated when possible

So Now, Run

I'm Ready to Go, Get Me Out of My Mind

I made my way inside and dejectedly sat at the kitchen island, wondering if my date with Nick was still happening or not. I hear someone coming down the stairs behind me, but don’t bother to turn around to see who it was. I feel a hand grasp my shoulder with a squeeze before I hear footsteps retreat behind me. As I sat there feeling shitty about the turn of events today has taken, I hear my phone buzz on the island counter top. I glance down and see it’s the same Unknown number from earlier that morning. I really need to save his number in my phone. I open the text.

Unknown: Hey Charlie! It’s Nick again…so are you still up for our date tonight?

What the hell??

Me: Yeah! Of course :) Why wouldn’t I be?

Nick: Oh, uh, no reason. I just didn’t know if you had other plans…

Me: Why would I have other plans tonight? I already agreed to go out with you tonight…

Nick: That’s true. I’ll see ya at 7:30 gorgeous ;)


That Nick is a charmer that’s for sure. I looked at the time on my phone and saw that it was now almost 4pm. Where had today gone? Geez. I went up to my room to riffle through my clothes to see if I could find something suitable to wear tonight. I wanted to impress Nick, but didn’t want to come across like I was trying too hard to do so. Finding that balance is extremely difficult; well, it is for someone who’s idea of “dressing up” consists of a nicer top with a khaki skirt. I need help in the fashion department. This is where Garrett comes in with all his knowledge.

“Hey Gare!”

“Yeah Char?”

“Can you come help me for a sec? I’m in my room.”

“Sure. I’ll be there shortly.”

He comes in a couple minutes later. “What’s up?”

“Okay, so I kind of have this date tonight, and I want to impress him but I don’t want to come across like I’m trying too hard. Ya know? I’ve been looking through my stuff and I can’t decide what I should wear. Can you help me?”

With a scoff and a roll of his eyes, he gently pushes me aside and begins to sort through the pile of clothes on my bed. Not even five minutes later he had an outfit picked out along with accessories.

“Sometimes Gare, I wonder how the hell I’m related to you. How are you able to do that just by looking at clothes?!? God…”

“Pfft. Sis, I’m fabulous; a fact you seem to keep forgetting. You forget that next to music, fashion is what I’m best at.”

Gotta give credit where it’s due. The guy has some of the best fashion sense I’ve seen in a guy his age. The rest of the guys should take a hint from him. Then again, Gare’s style is completely his own, and suits him better than it would suit anyone else. He reminds me slightly of a modern day Mick Jagger; especially with how he struts about on stage when he plays.

He then pats me on the shoulder and exits my room. Now that I’ve gotten the clothing situation figured out, I need to think of how to spend the next three hours.

***

*Ding-dong*

Shit. He’s already here. I look at the time on my phone and it reads 7:15. Damn! He’s early! Why would he do that! I’m not finished getting ready yet. Now he’s going to sit there and endure the harassment from Garrett unless Trey is here and can dissolve whatever tension may arise.

I hear heavy footsteps approach the door, meaning Garrett answered the door, followed by friendly greetings. My door was cracked, so I could just make out what was being said downstairs.

“Nick! Good to see ya man! Not that I didn’t enjoy the company, but what the hell are you doing here?”

“Ha good to see you too man! I’m actually here to pick up your sister.”

“Woah, woah, woah. You’re the guy she has a date with tonight?!?”

“…Uh, yeah. Is that a problem?”

“Shit. Hang on. CHARLIE!!!”

Shit. What’s going on now? I hear Gare’s heavy footsteps rush up the stairs. As he approaches the door he says, “I hope you’re decent ‘cause I’m coming in!”

Lucky for him I was already dressed and just finishing up my makeup.

“Charlie. Why didn’t you tell me that Nick was the guy you were going on a date with?”

“I didn’t think it mattered. Why? What’s wrong?”

“I uh…I don’t know. Something about him just doesn’t sit well with me Char.”

“Ugh. Gare, you say that about every guy I date.”

“I never said that about Pat!”

“Obviously…he was your best friend.”

“But this time it’s different. Char, I’m serious, I don’t like the idea of you dating this guy.”

“Why not? Give me one good reason why dating him is a bad idea? It’s not like we’re in a committed relationship or anything! God. I met him at their home show Thursday night and we ran into each other last night at the party. He texted me this morning asking me out tonight. He’s been nothing short of sweet to me. What’s your problem? Is it an age thing because he’s only a couple years older. It’s not that much of a difference…”

“No, it’s not an age thing. Char, my Spidey Senses are tingling, and I just don’t have a good feeling about this guy. There’s a disturbance in the force and I don’t like it.”

“God Garrett. Could you for once stop speaking in your geek language and just tell me what’s going on? I don’t have time for this!”

“Charlie, I really can’t give you a ‘good’ reason not to date him. But you’ve gotta believe me. There’s just something about this guy that doesn’t set well with me. Something about him seems off and I can’t put my finger on what it is.”

“Look, I appreciate your concern, but I think I can handle myself okay? I’m a great judge of character and if something was up, I’d pick up on it too.”

“I know that, and I trust your judgement, but as much as I like the guy, there’s just something I don’t like about him dating you.”

“Yeah I know. That ‘thing’ is the fact that he’s dating me. Will you or the other guys ever get over the fact that Pat and I mutually broke up?”

“Ugh. We’re not even talking about the same thing anymore! Pat has NOTHING to do with this! Though he isn’t too keen on the guy either, or so I remember from what little I do remember from last night. Wait, Pat doesn’t have anything to do with this does he? I mean, you guys aren’t getting back together or anything are you?”

I couldn’t really answer his question, so I sheepishly look at the floor.

“God, Char. Really?!? That explains everything.”

I quickly look up perplexed. “Gare, what the hell are you talking about? It explains what?”

“Nevermind. Just, ugh. Just know that the guys and I are just a phone call away if you need us.”

“What’s wrong with you Gare? I’ll be fine! Besides, John was the one that gave Nick my number and address anyway.”

“John?! Seriously!? Fuck.”

“What now?”

“Nothing. Just go on your date. Forget I said anything. But seriously, call or text me or any of the guys if you need us.”

“Garrett, relax. It’s just a date. I will probably be back by like 11:30. Chill!”

“Fine.”

He comes over and kisses me on the top of the head before walking out of the room. “Just remember what I said. I’m just a phone—“

“God, I’ve got it Garrett! Now can I please finish getting ready?”

He nodded his head and closed the door behind him. I finish putting on my mascara before heading down the stairs to meet Nick.

Garrett was standing cautiously against the wall across from the bottom of the stairs, arms crossed, and face lined with apprehension. I appreciate his concern, but honestly it pisses me off sometimes. No. ALL the time. I was about to lay into Garrett again when I got to the bottom of the stairs and saw Nick against the wall to the left of the staircase, casually leaning against it, waiting for me.

As soon as I stepped off the last stair, I hear a slight wolf whistle coming from my left, showing my now chagrin-filled face. I see Garrett glare towards Nick. I roll my eyes at his absurdity before turning to face Nick. He cleans up pretty well himself.

He takes in my appearance. “My my, looks like I’m quite the lucky guy tonight! Are you ready to go?”
I smile and nod. He extends his hand towards me, and I take it, as he leads me toward the door.

***

As soon as I got in the car, Nick instantly leaned over and put a blindfold over my eyes.

I giggled while trying to pry his hands away from my face, “Nick! What are you doing!”

He just laughed. “I want where I take you to be a surprise! You’re not allowed to peek!”

“So I have to wear this the entire time we drive?”

With a smugness in his voice, he replied “Yup.”

I just laughed and leaned back in my seat ready for whatever adventure he has planned for the night.
As soon as we both were buckled, he turns the car on and proceeds to flick through them to find a radio station. Apparently unhappy with what was playing, he grunted in frustration before turning off the radio. I feel his arm above my legs reaching to open the glove box. The door to the glove box rests open against my knees as I hear him reaching around for something before he quickly closes it. We had stopped at a stoplight I assume as I hear him flick through what sounded like a CD holder. The next thing I knew I heard the sounds of “Taxman” by The Beatles coming through the speakers. I just smile widely and turn towards Nick, hoping he can see my excitement.

“Wow. Please tell me you just put in Revolver and this is why I’m hearing ‘Taxman’ playing right now…”

He chuckled, “Uh, yeah. Is that a problem?”

“Hell no! It’s one of my all-time favorite Beatles album! How did you know?”

“It was uh…a lucky guess?” He nervously replied and turned the music up.

I sat back in the seat, letting the sounds of The Fab Four fill the interior of the car. I had no idea what he had planned, but just sitting here, driving around, listening to my favorite band seemed to work just fine for me. I’ve always been a pretty simple person. I’m not one that’s always been that materialistic. Just give me a chill environment surrounded by my closest friends and good music and I have everything I could ever need in the world.

I had no clue where we could possibly be, mostly due to the fact that I still had a blindfold over my eyes, but I could tell that it was now dark outside, and we had listened completely through Revolver. We were a couple songs into Rubber Soul when I felt the car slow and come to a finalized stop as he heaved a deep sigh that sounded like had been repressed for some time.

“Okay Charlie. We’re uh, finally, uh here. C’mere.”

He then leaned over and untied the blindfold from my eyes. I looked out the windshield, back to him and began laughing.

“You can’t be serious right now…”

He just shrugged and smiled sheepishly as he opened his and my door and led me out of the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
*title credit: I'm Ready to Go (Get Me Out of My Mind) - Panic! at the Disco*

playlist for this story: Here

DUN DUN DUN! I updated TWICE this week....I figured since I've got this story written a few chapters ahead, I would update this when I update my other Maine fic which you can find here. Here's the other story I've been working on Love in All the Wrong Places

Thanks so much to everyone that is reading this. It seriously means the world to me. :)

PS, I'm SUPER excited about this next chapter....it's the big first date with Nick chapter!!! Ya never know what could happen...speaking of, what do you guys think of Garrett's mistrust of Nick? Do you think it's well-placed or is he just being an over-protective brother? Let me know what you think in the comments! :)