Status: Complete!

Caught in the Middle

Chapter 11

Hanging out with Garrett was quickly becoming my new favourite thing to do. We'd laze around and watch a movie or listen to music or even just talk and I found I was quickly learning new things about him every day, such as his love for comic book, horror movies and Ryan Adams.

On Friday afternoon, we had been discussing our plans for the weekend, which we had none, so Garrett suggested some.

"Let's go out."

I sat up from where I was resting on his stomach. "How do you mean?"

"Well, like a date, but not a date."

"What would we do on this date that's not a date?" I asked.

"I dunno, I'll take you out for dinner and we can catch a movie? Is that cool or is it too 'dating' for us?" Garrett asked, putting the word in air commas.

I had turned up my nose at the idea of us going on dates when Garrett and I started this whole thing, unsure at the thought of us doing things a real couple would do, but after the horrible weekend I had last week, I was looking forward to something good. Besides, I actually really enjoyed spending time with Garrett and we hadn't really gone out without an ulterior motive.

"That sounds perfect. Where do you wanna go?" I asked him.

"Do you just wanna keep it casual and go to the diner on main road? It's close to the cinema and there's plenty of parking."

"That sounds perfect. It's a 'date'."

We discussed when he would pick me up and then said goodbye as I went home. My parents were in the kitchen cooking dinner as I walked in the door, the smell of pasta sauce filling the air.

"Hey Jessy, how was your day?" dad asked me.

I nodded. "It was good. Garrett and I hung out for a while and we're gonna go get dinner and see a movie tomorrow night."

My mother frowned."Jessy, I thought you were going to come with us to the art gallery tomorrow night?"

I screwed my nose up slightly. "It's not really my thing, mom. Besides, Garrett and I don't go out just the two of us that often, usually the guys all tag along and bring their girlfriends and it becomes a group thing."

"You're spending a lot of time with Garrett lately, is there something you want to tell us?" My father asked with a smirk. I rolled my eyes.

"Dad, we're just friends. I haven't seen him since high school, of course I'm going to be spending a lot of time with him," I argued.

"You used to be practically attached at the hip with John back in high school, when was the last time you hung out with him?" mom questioned.

A scowl settled onto my face as I remembered John and I's fight after dinner last Saturday.

"John has his succubus attached to him permanently these days," I said sourly.

"Sounds like someone's a bit jealous," mom smirked back. I shot her a glare.

"No, I'm not jealous, the girl is just a tramp and she's sucking the life out of John. He deserves someone better that will actually treat him like a decent human being."

"What, like you?"

My frustration was growing so I blurted out my secret. "I'm dating Garrett."

Dad just smirked as mom fumbled with the dish she was holding. "You owe me $20, Grace."

My jaw dropped as I looked at my father. "What were you guys betting on?"

"Your father and I made a little wager. I was under the impression that you and Garrett were just friends but he seemed to think that there was something more. Obviously, he was right."

"Hey, the kid shook my hand and called me 'Sir', then brought her back before curfew, if that's not a sure fire indication that he's either dating or wanting to date my daughter then I don't know what is," he argued back.

I pushed myself off the seat. "I've had enough of you two. Call me when dinner's ready."

* * * * *

I had pre-warned Garrett that my parents now were under the impression that we were dating and to be prepared for questions and enthusiasm from both parents. I made sure to be completely ready by the time he came to pick me up at 7 so that I could avoid him being around my parents. Unfortunately, Garrett had other ideas.

I heard his car pull up at 6;30, just after I had gotten out of the shower, so I quickly ran downstairs in just a towel to let him in and try sneak him into my room so my parents, who were in the living room, couldn't smother him.

Garrett's eyes widened and he averted them to the ground as a blush spread up his cheeks. I rolled my eyes.

"Oh c'mon Garrett, you've seen me in my underwear. Quick, before my parents know you're here," I whispered. However, just as Garrett was about to go up the stairs, my father appeared.

"Ah, nice to see you here Garrett. Don't you need to finish getting ready, Jessy?" He asked with a brow raised.

"Yes and Garrett needs to help me pick out my outfit," I urged.

"I do?"

"Jessy I think you're quite capable of dressing yourself," dad said. I sighed in defeat and released Garrett's wrist.

"Fine. Don't embarrass me please."

"But I was just about to get out the baby albums," he joked and I sent him a glare in return. I headed back upstairs and changed as quick as I could, blow drying my hair and putting on a swipe of makeup. I practically ran downstairs when I was finished because I knew my dad would actually end up getting out the baby albums if I took too long.

"Okay I'm ready let's go bye mom and dad," I rushed out, yanking on Garrett's hand as I flung the front door open and pulled us out.

"Come home whenever you're ready, make a stop by Vegas!" My mom called out after us. I heard Garrett snicker as I huffed in annoyance.

"I can't believe them sometimes. They didn't intrude too much, did they?" I asked as he started the car.

"Well, your mom did ask when I was going to make an honest woman out of you," Garrett said with a smile. I closed my eyes in an attempt to calm myself.

"Let's just go and forget I even have parents right now."

"Are you suggesting something?" Garrett asked. I smirked and punched his arm.

"Shut up and drive."

* * * * *

Dinner was probably the most pleasant meal I'd eaten out since I had moved back home, being able to just focus on Garrett and not have to worry about John or Rachel or anyone else. Garrett even paid, although I insisted he didn't and he bought my movie ticket as well as snacks.

"Hey, if this were a real date it'd be expected I do it, I gotta practice on you before I get a real girlfriend."

My heart sunk a little as I realised that one day Garrett and I would be dating other people and I began to feel a little jealous of whoever he would end up dating because I knew he would treat them perfectly and I felt sad that it wouldn't be me.

I shook the feeling off as Garrett suddenly grabbed my waist and pulled me into him, and I knew exactly why as soon as I saw another couple walking towards us.

"Look who it is! How are you guys?" Rachel said, overly sweet and fake.

"We're fantastic, how about you Rachel?" Garrett said, pulling me in closer and flashing her a smile. Her sweet smile disappeared and she shot a glare my way, which I returned with a smile as fake as her boobs.

"We're super. Aren't we John? ... John?" Rachel nudged him to get his attention, which was trained on the floor.

"Oh, uh, yeah we're great," he said flatly. I frowned. He had bags under his eyes and his eyes were dull and flat instead of shining and vivid like they usually were.

"Are you okay?" I asked him worriedly. He looked up at me.

"Yeah. I'm fine. Come on Rachel, let's go find a seat," John said, pulling her away.

We watched as they walked away and I began to wonder what was wrong with John.

"Jessy? You okay?" Garrett asked me softly. I nodded.

"Yeah, I'm all good. Come on, let's go in before all the good seats are taken."

He dropped his hand from my waist and moved it down to take my hand as we walked into the cinema.

* * * * *

We emerged into the dimly lit street two hours later, full of salty popcorn. Garrett had kept his arm around the top of my seat the entire film and once we had finished eating the popcorn that was sitting on his lap, my hand rested on his leg as I leaned in towards him. Garrett seemed more comfortable in holding my hand or putting his arm around me now than he was the first time we went out, but now we were in the car again he was fidgeting and seemed nervous.

I messaged John, asking him if he was alright before and I waited for his reply as Garrett began to drive down my street. He parked the car outside my house, but instead of keeping the motor running, he turned it off and looked down into his hands, biting his lower lip.

"Is something wrong Garrett? You've been quiet since we left the movies," I asked him. He remained silent. "Garrett?"

He looked at me through his glasses, his blue eyes seemingly anxious. "Can I do something Jessy?"

"Uh, I guess so? What do you mean by that?"

Garrett cupped my cheek with his hand and leaned in to press his soft lips to mine. I closed my eyes as I kissed him back, letting whatever feelings I had developed for Garrett be shown. I'd kissed many boys before, but none of them compared to Garrett. He was demanding, but gentle and soft, his lips tasting slightly salty from the popcorn we had shared earlier. He broke off and pulled back slightly and I looked at him with an eyebrow raised.

"Just wanted to see what all the fuss was about," he joked with a smirk. I smirked back, feeling slightly deflated at his comment.

"Oh yeah? Was it what you expected it to be?" I joked with him. He chuckled.

"It was alright. I'd better get going, I'll talk to you later?" he said as I opened the car door.

"Yeah, I'll see you later Garrett." I shut the car door behind me and walked inside, finding the house quiet. My parents had already gone to bed and left the light on and door unlocked for me.

As I climbed the stairs to my bedroom I felt a tear trickle down the cheek Garrett had caressed and I realised why this was such a bad idea to begin with.
♠ ♠ ♠
This ones a little bit shorter than usual, some really important stuff just happened! I think I'm probably about halfway through this story so expect about another 10 chapters or so? As usual, leave me your thoughts, please subscribe/rec if you haven't already and don't forget to check out the oneshots I posted recently! xx