A Series of Powerful Feelings

A Hint of Courage with A Dash of Salt

September 18, 2011 (Nikolas)
I was never good with relationships. I had recently broken up with my girlfriend... Ex. Ex-girlfriend. It went by so fast. One day we were walking around town, like any other day, but the atmosphere was tense. I wasn't sure why at the time, but I was determined to find out why she seemed so sad.

"Hey, what were we here for again?" I asked, knowing the answer, wanting to reduce the tension.
"Shopping for my brothers birthday, silly!" She tried to say cheerfully. She turned and gave me a weak, forced smile.

It wasn't hard to see through and I think she knew that. Especially for me. I had somewhat a "talent" for reading people. I could tell who wanted who and for what reason just by looking at their face and seeing how they react when I interrupt their conversation. For some people it was more difficult then others, not always from a difficulty standpoint, but a moral standpoint as well. Close friends were people I didn't want to read because I felt it would interfere. I rarely read the face of my girlfriend unless I was worried. Her name was Julia Wells, age 15. She was pretty short for her age, at least in my eyes. In reality she was probably about two inches shorter than me, but always standing beside her with her head often resting on my shoulder she seemed shorter. She had medium length, dirty blonde hair with black streaks on the right side. She had the sweetest smile. Large eyes and dimples were a great mixture. She had a nice figure and was busty for her age. Her butt wasn't very round and was bony. When she sat on my lap it felt like she was impaling my thighs, but it was fine, I was, and still am, pretty masochistic. She knew it too, whenever we watched a movie in my room or hers she would sit on my lap and when I stopped paying attention to her she would roll her hips so that her bony ass would re-adjust on my legs giving the blood a little time to rush into my legs and then stopping it immediately, bringing pain back. I would grunt and then retaliate by pulling her closer to me moving her hair and biting her neck with all my might. The next hour or so she would stop watching the movie and just try and get me to pay more attention to her. Eventually, after my favourite part of the movie, I would give in. We never had sex, hell, we barely knew what we were doing. All we knew was that it felt good. That was our relationship. Later on I stopped. I got tired of everything. The walks, the games, the festivals, the lies. All of it. We started to drift, but she didn't want to. She always pulled me back in.
That's what got us to this point.

"So. What were you planning on getting him? He is seven years old after all."
"Hm. Well I could always get clothes if I can't find anything, but I'm thinking of getting him a game. I know you have been playing since you were six. What would you suggest?"
"Well. A seven year old would want something loud and violent, but maybe you should get him something more puzzle based. Challenge him a bit. Or maybe a classic like Sonic or Mario?"
"Great idea!" She replied, genuinely. Forgetting and displacing the tension. Or so I thought
We went to the store to get a game when she turned to me.
She said, "Are you still interested in me?" She paused for an answer, but seeing my mouth open she continued speaking.
"I mean. It's a silly question, but it seems to me that you are kind of sad and you aren't talking to me about it. I- I mean. I- It's just s- so hard watching you sit there with your head down n- not even acknowledging me unless I speak to you!" She was crying. Her large eyes, each having a tear running down the side of her tiny nose. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her, but I needed to tell her.
"I- I, uh. I think we should break up." Just then, I saw, no, felt her heart break. It shattered in my hands and cut me deep. For Julia though, it seemed to feel like more of a stab. She saw the knife, but turned her head and imagined it wasn't there. Only when she acknowledged the knife did she get stabbed. She held her chest as if she had been hit by an arrow and tears fell off her face like a waterfall. It hurt to watch, I could only imagine how it actually felt. No words were uttered for what felt like an eternity. I turned around and walked away, not knowing what else to do. Pathetic I muttered to myself. Feeling ashamed of leaving without comforting her. Little did I know what would come of it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Little addition to the backstory of our main character. Enjoy.