Status: something to help the writer's block

The Irony is That This Cell Phone Has Gone Through Dante's Inferno and Back and Still Looks Better Than You

In Which It Takes a While To Adjust

Things began to change the year Natalia turned ten.

Her birthday was in the dead of August, home of the heat waves and thunder storms. Her mother liked to tell the story of how the day she went into labor, the car broke down, the air conditioning in the hospital malfunctioned, and, to top it all off, she spent two agonizing days in labor. She always finished the story with a kiss on Natalia’s forehead and an “It was worth it, mi hija”.

Coincidentally, James’ birthday was exactly a month before, not too long after the Fourth of July that setting off fireworks would have gotten the cops called on them. He turned twelve.

Their elementary school only held up to grade six before it split off, sending grades seven and eight to the big and bad middle school that was not walking distance away.

It was the first year that James, Will, and Natalia would not all be going to the same school together. There would be no more banging on the Whitmore’s door at nine am to make sure Will hadn’t fallen asleep eating his cereal again, James promptly face-planting him into a bowl filled with warmed-up milk and color-leeched Froot Loops. No more racing to see who could get to the crosswalk first. No more impromptu snowball fights in early December when it the sidewalk wasn’t too icy to risk breaking their necks.

It was a summer of no mores, little things they had taken for granted that would never happen again. At least, not the way they used to. They hadn’t even realized.

So on the first day of school, when Natalia banged on the front door and rang the doorbell three times, she was confused when she wasn’t greeted with the usual “sweetheart” from a delighted James and “I hate him” from a milk-sodden Will, Froot Loops falling off his face.

Instead it was just Will, impeccably clean and hair coiffed with more hair products than it took to keep Natalia’s mane from poofing in the humidity.

“You ready, Nat?” Will said with wide smile, showing off his perfectly white teeth. Between the two of them, Natalia was the only one who was going to have to go the braces route.

She bit her tongue. She hated it when he called her Nat, but he’d been ignoring her protests for so long that she just stopped protesting.

Instead, she forced the suddenly empty feeling away and focused on seeing Sonnie and Carly when they got to the crosswalk.

“As I’ll ever be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
oh my god, this is the first night in a few days that I'm not completely buried in homework. I spent the last two days doing more homework than usual because I went on a field trip yesterday and needed to make up a ton of stuff.

Then I remembered literally an entire assignment that took me three hours to complete that I had forgotten about before, because the day it was assigned I left my planner at home and didn't write it down. Ugh.

LET'S NOT FORGET I HAVE TO SIGN UP FOR SATS SOON AND LIKE, START THINKING ABOUT COLLEGE.

so how was everyone else's week? anyone watching american horror story tonight?