Tangled in the Great Escape

This Alone, You're in Time For The Show

Frenchi


“Hello?” I paused. “Are you there?”

“You have an incredibly weird sense of humor–“

“Oh God! I swear I’m not joking. Everybody is still shaken up; we’re in Jaime’s place still recovering. All my life, I’ve never seen Vic that mad before” I said, looking at everybody, who I’m pretty sure still registering what happened in their heads.

“Wow… Rachel? Really?”

“I know right?!”

“What exactly happened? Like, how did he found out?”

“Okay, so we were having dinner right?...

”Is everything ready? Where are the guys?” I went up to Tony, who was playing with his phone with a steaming plate of something I still can’t pronounce correctly.

“I guess, they’re in the backyard” He nudged his chin towards the direction.

“Well get them, dinner is ready” I turned around and began plating the table.

He placed the controller down and went out to the backyard to fetch the rest of the guys. We were all gathered in Vic’s place because we insisted to throw the guys a celebratory dinner to celebrate them coming home and finishing the record, I guess we have a thing for celebrating everything. Avela and I had been slaving away almost the entire afternoon in the kitchen with Lauren helping towards the end after she got off her shift at the nursing home.

“That smells incredible baby, I’m fucking starving” Mike said as he entered the dining area, hugging my incredibly pregnant belly (I can’t even get my apron to wrap around it!).

“Don’t swear in front of the baby!” I smacked him on the arm and told everyone to get in their seats.

“Everybody’s here right?” Avela looked around to do a mental headcount.

“Rachel’s still not here, I think she’s on the way home,” Vic said looking up from his phone.

“Okay, we’ll give her a few minutes yeah? I don’t want the food to get cold,” I asked.

“Yeah, it’s fine” Vic went back to his phone, not really giving a care.

After 10 minutes of waiting, the food was starting to get cold and I was getting more and more annoyed.

“I don’t think she’s coming anytime soon, do you think we should start?” I asked the table.

“Yeah, go ahead. She’s not replying my texts so I guess she’s still on the way” Vic put down his phone and with that, everybody began to dig into the hearty feast we had prepared.

15 minutes after we started eating, the front door blasted open with Rachel standing on the other side, panting and presenting a guilty smile on her face.

“I’m so sorry everyone, I got caught up at work and the traffic was terrible” She threw her purse onto the couch and took a seat between Avela and Vic, the only one available.

“It’s a Saturday, I thought you don’t have a Saturday shift this week?” Vic asked with a mouthful.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full Vic, it’s gross” I scolded him in a motherly tone, leaving Rachel smiling awkwardly, not answering his question.

The rest of dinner went smoothly, the food was incredible and everybody was enjoying themselves. Although, since I was sitting right across the two of them, I did notice the weird stare Vic kept giving Rachel and the fact that Rachel obviously tried hard to ignore it. I have no idea what was going on and frankly, I was too full (and stuffy) to even care.

“You know, we should do something together next weekend, like a mini road trip,” I suggested.

“Babe, you’re very pregnant. No road trips” Mike shook his head.

“Exactly why we should do this, before the baby pops out. Like a baby-moon but with everybody”

“That’s actually a great idea, doesn’t have to be too far. We could drive up to LA or Vegas” Jaime said

“What do you guys think?” I asked the table, completely ignoring Mike’s disapproval.

Most of the table agreed, except Rachel who was busy with her phone. “Rachel?” I called out.

“Yeah? Sorry I was–“

“Busy with your phone? Yeah we noticed” Vic rolled his eyes.

Rachel put her phone down and ignored Vic’s sarcastic remark. “Sorry”

“Anyway, I think we really should do this. I don’t think I will have much time once the baby is out” I said, mainly to Mike.

“Fine, but I’m not–“

“Vic, stop it!” Mike was cut off by Rachel’s shouting, she was reaching over to Vic to grab her phone that he took.

"Who is Travis and why is he thanking you for a great time and is excited to see you tomorrow night?” Vic asked carefully, standing up and walking backwards away from Rachel.

The entire room went quiet.

“Vic give me back my phone, let’s not do this now”

“Who is he?” Vic said with gritted teeth.

“Come on babe, not now” Rachel pleaded.

By now, my mouth was hanging open and I was pretty sure everybody else’s was too. I looked at Mike, raising my eyebrows as if I was asking him a question but he just ‘sssh-ed’ me instead.

“Can we not do this right now? Please” She said, looking around at the table embarrassedly.

“WHO IS HE?” Vic shouted, making everybody jump.

“He’s nobody okay, he’s just a friend. I swear!” Rachel was tearing up, obviously scared of Vic’s outburst.

He started going through Rachel’s texts. Then chuckled.

“A friend? Friends don’t send each other fucking nudes, Rachel” He walked towards her. “Friends don’t sext each other. FRIENDS DON’T FUCK EACH OTHER, RACHEL!” Vic voice roared. He smashed Rachel’s phone against the wall, shattering its screen.

We took it as a cue for all of us to leave and give the privacy, so we stood up silently but quickly, gathering our things and went out the door so quick; Flash would be ashamed of himself.


“…and now we’re here” I said, letting out big breaths. I can suddenly feel the tension on my neck and shoulders.

I heard Cass chuckled. “I don’t… I can’t figure out how to react to this, I mean, do you even see this coming?”

“Well, now that I think about it she has been pretty absent lately and when she’s around it’s like she’s not there, yknow?” I sighed. “But I never thought she was actually cheating on Vic, I mean he’s like the sweetest guy!”

“I know! Damn, how is Vic doing?”

“I don’t know, we thought we’d give him some time. I’m sure he’ll come to one of us when he’s ready”

“Well, alright then. I think I’m going to head to bed… again. Call me if anything happens okay?”

“Yeah, yeah. I’m gonna go talk to Mike about going home, I’ll talk to you soon, love you!”

“Love you too” And she hung up.

I walked to where the rest of the guys were sitting and went up to Mike. “Babe, let’s go home. I’m exhausted” I whined.

“Yeah sure, are you okay?” He stood up and put his hand on my lower back.

“Just tired, come on”

“Alright, we’ll see you guys soon yeah. Call us if there’s anything new”

***


2 WEEKS LATER

I grunted as I pushed myself off the bed, this pregnancy is really something else! I’m in my final week, only a few more days till the due date and I’ve never felt this useless in my life; I hate being so dependent on other people! I know I should be grateful instead of whining over something so trivial, I’ve been blessed with such an easy pregnancy that I really don’t have any reason to be whining. I guess the hormones are making me easily irritated, even more than usual.

The bell rung again as I carefully walked downstairs. “I’m coming!” I shouted, still focusing on my steps.

By the time I got to the door I was actually panting. I immediately frowned when I saw who was at the door.

“What are you doing here?”

“Mike told me to come over” Tony shrugged

Somewhere along the way, we decided to be civil with each other for the sake of all of our friendship, but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to be nice or even enjoy his company.

“He’s not here, you can wait in the living room if you want” I stepped back and let him in.

“Do you know when he’s gonna be back?” He said plopping himself onto the couch.

“No”

I went back upstairs, leaving Tony alone in front of the TV. To be honest, I kind of lost all respect I have for Tony mainly because I consider myself closer to Cassie than to Tony, but me being nasty to Tony is just a solidarity thing on my part. I feel like he doesn’t get to move on just yet, he still needs to suffer even for just a little bit.

“Ugh” I groaned, touching my belly in reflex as I felt the painful contraction.

Two days ago, Mike and I went to our final checkup before the due date and the doctor said everything is going excellent. The baby’s position is already head-down and facing downward so we have a fat chance of doing this normally. I’ve been having painful contractions for a few days now and that means he or she can come out any day now.

Mike and I packed the hospital bag both about a week ago when I got the news that there’s a chance the baby might be delivered sooner than the due date. The nursery was also done about a week ago; I had everything picked out to be gender-neutral and really simple. I figured I’d get into details when the baby is born so I can get a more gender-focused stuff.

I can’t help but to laugh whenever I thought about how this whole thing started, with me freaking out and Mike knowing it because I talk in my sleep. I never thought, in a million years, Mike would turn into an entirely different person! He has been amazing to me throughout the entire pregnancy; he’s patient, caring, understanding, he’s everything I’ve ever wanted and more. I have no doubt that he’ll be an amazing father to our baby and I just can’t wait for our family to start its new journey.

Like I said before, this pregnancy has been really easy on me. I heard people had morning (or all-day) sickness all through the second trimester while I graduated that phase in the second month! The only thing bothering me was swollen feet and ankles, it makes it really hard for me to stand or walk for long periods of time.

I laid down after texting Mike, telling him to hurry home because I’m starting to feel bad for leaving Tony alone downstairs, I mean, I didn’t even bother telling him to make himself at home or anything like that. Feeling tired, I tried the breathing technique a doula taught me in one of the birth classes I attend to self-soothe and within minutes later I fell fast into a deep sleep.

***


Tony


I threw the Xbox joystick onto the empty seat next to me on the couch and took off my hat. I hate Mike for making me wait awkwardly in his house, with his wife that hates me. Never have I felt so uncomfortable in my best friend’s house, I can’t even go to the kitchen without fearing that Frenchi might walk in on me opening the fridge. I tried calling Mike again about 5 minutes ago, but it went straight to voicemail.

I thought about going home and come back when Mike is home but at the same time I can’t be bothered to move from this couch.

“NAAAAAAAAAAHHH” I jumped from my seat when I heard the ear-stabbing screaming coming from upstairs.

Fucking Frenchi and her hormones, I thought. I know all the shit she’s been giving me was only an act; she’s deliberately doing this just to spite me. The old me would just snap and bitch back, but the new me is going to take it like a man. Besides, it doesn’t really bother me that much anymore.

“Oh fuck fuck fuck!” I hear Frenchi again, this time not as loud.

I stayed quiet, didn’t really know what for but I got this weird feeling that something bad was going to happen. I walked to the stairs, debating whether or not I should walk upstairs.

“French?” I called out. “Are you okay?”

“WHERE THE FUCK IS MIKE!” She screamed

“I don’t know I can’t reach him. Is everything okay?” I shouted back.

“Fuck off Tony, I don’t need you, I need Mike!”

I wanted to leave her right then but for some reason I found myself walking up the stairs and to their bedroom. I pushed the door slightly to see what was going on and my eyes went wide when I see Frenchi standing there on the phone, with a panicked look on her face, and a wet stain on the carpet.

“Wha– Is that…. Are you…”

“My fucking water broke and Mike is fucking gone and my contractions are– AH FUCK!” Frenchi crouched and I couldn’t help but to cringe.

“Okay… Uh… Okay I think we need to go the hospital. Come on let me take you” I walked in, reaching out my hand to Frenchi, only to be slapped away.

“I said fuck off, I need my husband not you” She fucked around with her phone again, trying to get ahold of Mike.

“We can get him in the car, I think we really need to get you to a hospital. Here, let me grab your bag” I walked towards the dresser, trying to find her hospital bag.

“What the hell are you doing Tony, seriously get the fuck out! I don’t need you fucking around right now, I’m fucking panicking so get the fuck out!”

“I’m not–“

“AAAHHH! FUCK” She yelled again as she contracts, and at this point I’m really terrified.

“Jesus Christ” I breathed, I pulled at my hair and began to panic.

“WHERE THE FUCK IS HE! GOD!” Frenchi yelled and threw her phone onto the bed, she then looked straight at me.

“What are you still doing here! DO SOMETHING!” She yelled again

“I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO FRENCHI, I’m freaking out right now, so stop yelling!” I yelled back

“I want you to get my husband! I don’t want to do this alone, I can’t do this alone, he’s leaving me!” Frenchi began to cry and my panic level just went through the roof.

“Listen! You need to calm the fuck down and let me help you. Tell me where your shit is and let’s just go to the hospital, we’ll get one of the guys to track Mike down”

“I don’t want to go with you, I don’t like you” She wiped the tears from her face and stood straight.

“Shut up! Enough with that shit, for all we know that baby could be on its way out and I swear to God I will faint if it happens,” I shouted and Frenchi went quiet. “Now, get your purse and let’s go!”

Frenchi didn’t say anything this time; she just nodded. I left her to the car so she can get changed and gather everything she needs, then I remembered she may need help getting down the stairs so I went back inside and ran up the stairs.

“Please stop running around, you’re making this worse” Frenchi huffed as she exited the room. “Just go start the car, I’ll be fine”

I looked at her, not sure whether or not I should listen to her.

“Just go, damn it” She sighed and with that I run back down to start the car.

I sat in the driver’s seat and let out a big breath. I can’t believe this is happening, out of all the people in Frenchi’s life, it has to be me. The tension on my neck and the back of my head is insane it’s making my head throb.

I jumped when I heard the passenger door open and Frenchi slowly sat in. “Call Vic, tell him to go find Mike and tell everybody. I can’t be bothered to do anything, my contractions is at 8 minutes apart”

Even with scrambling to call everybody and making sure I’m driving fast but steady, I managed to get Frenchi to the hospital in one piece. I had Vic on grid search to find Mike, because up to this very moment, he was nowhere to be found, I also called Jaime and everybody else to make sure they get to the hospital.

I walked Frenchi to the emergency room and literally yanked the nearby nurse by the shirt.

“She’s in labor, please help” I said, well, more like whined.

“Can we get a wheelchair here?!” She shouted and within seconds another nurse came by with a wheelchair and whisk her away to another room.

“Sir, can you come with me? I need you to fill out some forms,” The nurse asked while pointing to the administration desk.

“Oh, I’m just her friend, Mike will be here soon… I hope. I don’t know, I’m freaking out right now” I pulled my hat and my hair.

Her face went to pity in a matter of seconds and offered me to wait in the family room, with a glass of water. They didn’t allow me to go inside the observation room because I wasn’t immediate family so I have no idea what was going on. About 45 minutes later, Vic and Mike burst into the door, sweaty and panicky.

“Where is she? What happened? Is she okay? Is the baby here?” Mike grabbed my shirt; I noticed he had flowers with him.

“Her water broke while I was at your house, so I rushed here. They’re not telling me anything because I’m not immediate family. Dude, where the hell have you been?”

“I went to buy Frenchi some flowers and I got a flat, my phone was dead so I couldn’t call anyone. When I finally got home, Vic was sitting on my front porch and he told me what happened”

“Well, go inside, she’ll probably kill you though, just a heads up” He nodded and walked towards the double doors. “Good luck!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea how long I've abandoned this story and I'm really sorry about it. I don't know if you guys read my last note or not but 4 months ago I had my baby and since then, my life is all about her and it is noooottt easy hahaha!

I will try to update as often as I possibly can, bearing in mind I will also start school in a few months so... I'm not promising anything. The one thing I can promise is I will not stop until this story is finished! So, if any of you is still there, feedbacks and comments are greatly appreciated. I'm still trying to get my writing mojo back, so it would mean a lot coming from you guys <3