Status: PLEASE READ SUMMARY & COMMENT! I may continue it so, please do!

Seize the Day

Seize the Day

Janette’s POV

I woke up that day at 6am on the dot. That was typical of me though seems as I’m always the one who has to try and attempt to get everyone else in this house up. It’s not always easy, how can it be when that includes two boys? S’not only the “terrible two” that are the problem though. The biggest problem is lack of sleep or that I have to get everyone up two hours earlier than usual just because my shift starts at 8. Oh yes everyone loves those days and today unfortunately wasn’t any different.

I got up quickly. Kissed Howard’s cheek and got dressed. Ah, at least I have that hurdle over with! I thought to myself as I made my way slowly down the hall to my eldest son’s room. Not sure what I may encounter I prepared myself mentally by stupidly imagining that his room would be pristine. How wrong I was. The second I stepped over the threshold the whiff of drool and dirty socks hit my nose with such impact that I almost thought I would vomit. Deciding that the only way to avoid this outcome would be to hold my nose, I began the dangerous mission of trying to get to his bedside…unharmed. Weaving my way between every item from I-Pod’s to C.D.’S to hightops I finally reached my destination with myself in tact but my mental state about to blow up. Taking a deep breath I gently started to shake him.

“Cael y fuck oddi wrthyf!” He roared, mistaking me I assumed for his younger brother. Sighing softly I whispered
“Sweetie you need to get up.”
Reality immediately dawned on him as he shot to a sitting position, rubbing his eyes.
“Shit...Mam m’sorry!” he mumbled. I smiled softly watching his features change as he fought sleep. Knowing he wouldn’t get back into bed, I left him after telling him to join me for breakfast. By the time I had reached my second son’s room I heard footsteps on the stairs and I knew I had succeeded in getting at least one boy up.

“Fine, just FINE, Jay! Don’t go to school and see if I give a rat’s arse!” I screamed in exasperation 10 minutes later while I slammed his bedroom door. Trying to compose myself, I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen.
“Jay’s being a twat?” I laughed softly and noded.
“What’s new?” I laughed again. He shot me a weak cheeky grin. I shook my head trying to stop myself saying “And you’re a total angel?!“
I smiled to myself and walked to the sink to make some coffee. As soon as I had done so I sat down at the oak table.

“Sweetie what’s wrong?” I questioned softly as I could tell he wasen’t his usual bubbly self. Rasing his head slightly to look at me he mumbled
“Just don’t feel 100%.”
His tone was really down and worry began to rear its ugly and unwanted head and I instinctively felt his forehead. He give me a semi ‘Get away from me’ look but within a split second he had relaxed his expression and let me do.
“You’re burning up!” I said, trying my best to keep my voice even and not shaky. Hr blinked and I shot up and got the hand held thermonitor out of the press. Usually if he was faking it in an attempt to get out of school he would refuse to let me do this but he didn’t this time and my mind began to race.

I gasped.
39.9.
I ran out of the kitchen and screamed
“HOWARD! G-Get down here please!” After a second I heard footsteps and prayed silently it would be him but of course it was Jay. This wasen’t going to be easy.
“What’s up with you?” I heard him ask his brother after walking past me with a slight hint of hatred.
“Leave me alone please Jay.”
“Why should I?”
“Cause I said so bugger!”
“I won’t. Now tell me what’s up?”
“No!"
“Please?”
“I fucking said, NO!” He sighed deeply and I caught a glimpse of him putting his head on the table from the kitchen door.
“God sake you are so bloody moody! I was only askin’ if you are ok!” Jay snapped, now putting a bowl of cereal on the table.
“Yeah, Jay, you’d want to be fucking left alone if you fielt like total shit wouldn’t you?” He retorted through his arms rendering Jay to silence.
“Jay, leave him alone please and go call your father again.” I instructed as I had almost had my fill of him at that moment.
Jay rolled his eyes and finally did as he was told after mumbling under his breath.

Howard arrived down after about 5 minutes as I got a cold cloth ready.
“Hiya love..what’s going on?”
“Ev’s.” I paused.
“Sean’s not well. I’m really worried. His temp is 39.9.”
“Jesus fucking Christ. Where is he?”
“I-In the lounge.”
“Ok hun. I’ll go check on him.”
“Thanks love maybe I’m over reacting?”
“Don’t be stupid Jan. You’re right to be worried and you know that yourself!” He replied softly making my mind feel that little bit calmer as I watched him walk into the lounge.

Howard’s POV

The minute I stepped in the lounge I knew it was really serious.
I watched in slight horror as Sean began to shake from the fever. I quickly kneeled down and realized he was having a full blown fit.
“Jan he’s fitting!” I said loudly causing her to scream and run in.
Jay watched from the hall rolling his eyes. I quickly jumped up and ran into the hall pushing Jay out of the way as I grabbed my paramedic bags.
“Oi! What was that for?” He shouted rubbing his arm and pouting.
“One: Your brother is having a fit and you don’t fucking care and Two: You’re in my fucking way!” I growled at him running back into the lounge and kneeling down.

By the time I had gotten Sean on a portable monitor, the reality of what I had screamed at Jay seemed to have dawned on him as he walked into the lounge and kneeled down by me taking Sean’s hand in.
****
♠ ♠ ♠
PLEASE READ SUMMARY & COMMENT! Thank you :) X.