‹ Prequel: Wayde Woods Massacre
Status: Far from finished. If you haven't read the first Wayde Woods Massacre, I suggest you do so before reading this one.

The Return To Wayde Woods

CHAPTER 2

"I wish you didn't have to go," Megan said, hugging Ben close.

"Me too, but I'll be back to get you at Christmas," he replied.

It had been a year since the incident in Wayde Woods. Ben was now leaving to go to Harvard to study law. It had always been the plan, but he was allowed to postpone the date a year, given the horrific circumstances.

Ben and Megan had been together since escaping the woods. In fact, they were practically inseperable. Megan was going to stay home for awhile, then move with Ben at Christmas. Megan now knew what it was like to be with a truly great guy, and she had no intentions of losing him.
With a long and passionate kiss, Ben departed toward the terminal. Right before he disapeared he turned to wave and smile at Megan, who giggled with a tear in her eye. When he was no longer in sight she walked back over to her dad, who put an arm around her.

"Gonna be alright, kid?" he asked.

"I think so," she said, hugging him.

After almost losing his daughter to the hands of a psychopath, it really woke up Hank Wilson to how much he did care about his child. He quit drinking and devoted his time to creating a relationship with his practically estranged daughter. It took a long time for any progress to take place, but they had grown quite close recently. Now that Ben was gone, she needed somone now more than ever. And she was so happy to have her father back.

"Oh shit!" Megan shrieked, seeing the face of her dad's watch, "I'm late for work! Mr. Silvio is gonna kill me!"

"That little miget ain't gonna touch my Cupcake," her dad said, "but he might fire her so she better get her ass to work!"

* * *

Frantically tying her apron, Megan entered the diner of which she was employed. She was immediatly greeted by her boss, Mr. Silvio.

"Hey, Megan finally decides to show the fuck up! I got a business to run here sweetheart!" he yelled from the kitchen with a thick Brooklyn accent. Mr. Silvio was a good guy, just loud and blunt at times. He may have only been 4'8" but he had a personality so excentric that it made him seem much taller.

"Sorry Mr. Silvio," Megan sighed, "I was seeing my boyfriend off at the airport."

"Benny left today?" Mr. Silvio asked, "Well Benny's a good kid. And so are you, but I'll beat you with a fuckin' wooden spoon if you don't see to that table!"

Megan rolled her eyes as she walked over to the table. Sitting there was June and Peter Strave. The death of their son Michael had deeply hurt the couple, but they were so mismatched and wierd that most people couldn't really tell. They were doing better now though and had become very close to Megan over the past year.

"Mr. and Mrs. Strave, it's great to see you!" Megan said, hugging them both seperatly.
"What have you been up to, dear?" June asked sweetly.

"Well, I just took Ben to the airport today," Megan said, she was unable to get it off her mind.

"Oh yeah, he's going to Harvard, right?" June asked.

"Yes," Jenny answered.

"Boy's gonna be a great lawyer, just like I was," Peter Strave stated, poking his chest out a bit.

"Yes he is," Megan said with a confident smile, "would you guys like to order? I'd love to stay and chat all day, but my boss has already threatened my life once this morning..."

"Of course dear," June agreed, "what would you like honey?"

"I think I'll have the stack of pancakes," Peter Strave stated, reaching his menu out for Megan to take.

"Oh no you won't!" June said firmly, "you don't need all that sugary maple syrup!"

"Okay fine," Peter sighed, becoming annoyed, "I'll have the scrambled eggs and bacon then."

June shook her head. "No, that's not good for you dear."

"Well then why don't you order my goddamn food for me?!" Peter said sacrastically, shaking his head.

"Sure dear, he'll have the fruit salad," June said with a nod.

"And what about you, Mrs. Strave?" Megan asked.

"Hmm, let's see here," June replied, eyeing the menu, "three eggs, fried with the yolk still runny and cheese melted on top, four pieces of sausage and four pieces of bacon, two waffles with extra butter and maple syrup, a side of hashbrowns and two pieces of toast, lightly toasted with grape jam."

Megan and Peter's eyes were wide and staring at June in disbelief.

"What's wrong?" June asked.

"You ordered enough food to feed Africa!" Peter exclaimed.

"I don't have high cholestoral," June expressed.

"No," Peter replied, "you're just gonna go straight for the heart attack."

"I'll be fine. Now I'm going to go use the restroom."

Megan waited until June was out of earshot. "Next time she goes to the bathroom I'll slip you a piece of bacon," she told Peter.

"You know you're my favorite person, right?" Peter said with a smile.

As Megan went behind the counter and gave the order to her boss, a middle-aged biker came in and sat at the counter. Megan turned toward him, pad out and ready.

"Know what you want or do you need a menu, Sir?" Megan asked him.

He didn't reply, which made Megan look up at him. He seemed nervous as he sat there. He used his hand to brush grey hair out of his face before replying.

"Umm, do you have hashbrowns and bacon?" the man asked.

"Sure, would you like coffee with that?" Megan said.

"Yes, black," the man responded.

Megan walked over and grabbed the coffee pot and a coffee cup. Walking back over to the man, she set the cup on the counter and poured him a cup. She kept noticing him watching her the whole time. It made her uneasy, but she tried to not let it bother her. Before long she took the orders to June and Peter Strave.

"Oh thank you honey," June exclaimed. She then lowered her voice and eyed the biker as she spoke. "Megan, we've been noticing that old man looking at you a lot. Do you know him?"

"No," Megan answered.

"Do you want me to take care of him?" Peter asked.

"No, that's okay. I'm sure it's nothing," Megan replied.

Before long the biker had his food too and was eating. However, Megan did start to get worried. He seemed very nervous and kept looking at her whenever he didn't think she would notice. Before long the Straves left, which made her feel even more uncomfortable. She was thankful when he was coming close to ending his meal. As was customery at the diner, she offered him a refil on his coffee, hoping he would say no.

"Sure," he said, sliding his cup over to her.

Reluctantly she started pouring. When she got the cup half full, he held up his hand to motion for her to stop.

"That's enough Megan," he told her.

Startled, Megan almost spilled the coffee. "How did you know my name?!" she demanded.

"You don't recognize me, do you?" the man asked.

Megan looked at him very close now. This man did look familiar. She was sure she had seen him before. Younger, but it was him. Suddenly, with wide eyes and a jaw on the ground she said in hushed tones, "Mr. Conner?"

The man nodded, "You can call me Dusty."

Megan couldn't believe it. She ran around the counter and hugged the man. This was Suzette's father! She used to see him regularly when she was little and would spend time at Suzette's house. He was much younger looking then, less wrinkles and sandy blonde hair. Dusty and his wife had divorced many years ago. Dusty moved away, Suzette rarely saw him during highschool. Rumors were that he had started drinking very heavily and didn't want Suzette exposed to that.

He stood to accept Megan's hug and did so with a tear in his eye. For a moment it was almost like he was hugging Suzette again. It had been a long time since he had gotten to hug his daughter, much longer than she had been missing.

"Mr. Conner, what are you doing here?" Megan asked as she pulled away from him.
"I was told what happened, and I had to come down," he told her, "and call me Dusty."
"Well Dusty, I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you!"

"That's okay," he assured her, "sorry I was staring at you so much. It's just that you're the first friend of Suzette's I've seen in a long time. I didn't quite know how to tell you who I was."
Inbetween waitressing tables, Megan and Dusty chatted. He asked a lot of questions about his daughter, but not about the incident in the woods. Everything was kept on the light side. After some time coffee refils, Dusty said goodbye and left. Megan let him know she would be working the same time next day, if he was still in town.

After leaving the diner, Dusty went and checked into the only motel in town. Afterwards he went to a hunting supplies store. He purchased two large backpacks and survival supplies. He purchased ammunition and a large hunting knife. Upon returning to the motel, he removed the saddlebags from his motercycle and brought them into his room. He removed select items from them and placed them in the packs. He was going to be prepared.

* * *

The next day Megan awoke early, excited about seeing Dusty Conner again. Though she barely knew him anymore, she dearly missed Suzette and having him come by made it feel like Suzette was still around. Plus it didn't appear that Dusty blamed her for his daughter's dissapearance, which was a relief. Megan had been secretly blaming herself.

"Good morning Cupcake," Megan's dad greeted her as she came into the kitchen. "Care for some breakfast?"

"No, I have to get to work," Megan answered, "I'll just grab some coffee there."

"Is Dusty Conner coming by again this morning?" he asked, Megan had told him about Dusty's sudden arrival the day before.

"I think so, if he stuck around last night," Megan replied.

"You know, maybe I'll come by and see him," her dad suggested.

"I don't know dad, he seemed very nervous yesterday. I don't think he's very comfortable being back in this town. Maybe you should give him some time."

"Okay, if you say so Cupcake," her dad nodded.

"Thanks Daddy," she smiled, then left for work.

Megan was halfway through her shift before Dusty came walking through the door. She greeted him with a smile and poured him some coffee. Once again he seemed nervous as he drank, not talking very much.

"Refill?" she asked, holding the pot.

"Yeah sure," he replied, "hey do you think you could take a break so I could talk to you?"

"Umm..maybe, let me see," she replied, turning toward her boss, "Mr. Silvio, can I take five?"

"Right now?" he asked, "we're busy!"

"It won't take long. It's important."

"Fine! But don't take too long!"

Dusty stood, "Let's sit in a booth."

Megan followed him to the booth and sat across from him.

"Megan, I wasn't entirely honest with you yesterday about why I was here," he said cautiously.

"Umm..okay, why are you here?" she answerd, confused.

"I need into those woods. I need to find my daughter, and I need to kill the Hunter."

Megan winced, it was like a stab in the heart everytime she heard that title. Though she still replied, "Dusty, he's dead."

Dusty shook his head, "I'm not so sure."

"No, you don't understand. I was there. We killed him. We watched him die and checked afterwards. He didn't survive."

Dusty leaned close, "Then how do you explain my daughter not being in that fucking cage?" His tone was kind before, but it was now intense and cold.

Megan was a bit suprised but continued, "They said she found her own way out of there."
"Why didn't you all break her out if it was so easy?"

Megan could feel tears stinging the back of her eyes. Her voice started to quiver as she answered, "We tried but couldn't."

"So you, another girl and two boys couldn't bust her out, but my little Suzette did alone?"

"I don't know," Megan spoke loudly, tears streaming now. This caught the attention of Mr. Silvio.

"Look," Dusty said quitely but intensly, still in Megan's face, "I have reason to believe that The Hunter isn't really dead. I need your help. I need you to take me to Wayde Woods..."

"NO!" she yelled.

"What the fuck is goin' on here!" Mr. Silvio demanded, appearing by Megan's side and weilding a meat cleaver.

Dusty raised his hands slightly in surrender, "Nothing friend, we're just having a conversation."

"Hey listen here you leathered up piece of shit," Mr. Silvio replied, his head bouncing a bit like it did when he would become angry, "Anyone that makes Megan cry isn't a friend of mine. Either ya leave here now, or you leave here without a dick!" He held the cleaver up for emphases.

"Fine," Dusty said, standing up, "I don't want any trouble." He tossed a dollar on the table and walked out.

"You okay?" Mr. Silvio asked Megan. She nodded yes.

Mr. Silvio went back into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

* * *

The wheels of the police car came to a stop in the parking lot of the only motel in the town. Sherriff Joe Perry pulled out a bag of chewing tobbacco, getting a large pinch and putting it between his gums and lip. He pulled a revolver out of his holster and checked to make sure it was loaded. This was extremely unessicary, as the sidearm was always loaded.

Stepping out of the car he spit a giant glob of black slime onto the pavement. Reaching back in, he pulled out a large, grey cowboy hat and placed it snuggly on his head. Reaching to his shirt pocket, he grabbed a pair of black aviator sunglasses with silver rims and put them on. Feeling a bit like the child of Clint Eastwood and John Wayne, he strolled into the front office.

"Oh, hello Sherrif," a woman behind the counter greeted him.

"Evenin'," he nodded toward her, "I'm looking for a guest that checked in recently. Older guy, biker type. Leather jacket, motorcycle."

"Oh yeah, I remember him."

"A room number would be nice."

"I'm sorry," the woman replied, "Is he under arrest?"

"No, just like to have a word with him," the sheriff replied.

"Yeah, again I'm very sorry," the woman apologized, "but our policy is that we don't give out information about our guests without the boss's permission unless there's a warrant."

"Well let's just say you make an exception this time," Sheriff Joe reached over and snatched her cup of coffee off the desk, spitting his tobacco juice into it.

"Look, Mr. Johnson will be back in a couple hours. Why don't you just wait for him..."

"I really need to talk to this guy now," the sheriff said, removing his glasses. Before he spoke the next words, he placed a hand on his revolver, "You wouldn't be obstructing justice, would ya?"

The woman looked toward the ground, "Fine, give me a second."

"Thought so," the sheriff said with a little chuckle.

"Room 37," the woman muttered.

Sheriff Joe spit once more in her coffee before handing the cup back to her. "You have a good day now," he said with a wink.

The sheriff left the office and headed straight toward the room. The door was old, chipped red paint being the backdrop to plastic numbers that told this was room 37. He pounded on the door a few times.

"Sheriff's office, open up."

There was no response.

"Come on Dusty, open the goddamn door," he demanded.

Slowly the door opened, revealing Dusty Conner on the other side.

"Well, well...back in town, are we Dusty?" the sheriff smirked.

"What do you want, Joe?" Dusty asked.

"Why don't you step outside instead of hiding in their like a little pussy," the sheriff ordered.

Dusty set the handgun Joe couldn't see on the little stand by the door and stepped outside. The sheriff stood with his thumbs looped on the front of his pants, looking Dusty over.

"You look like shit," the sheriff observed. "But I guess being a dead-beat alcoholic does that to a man."

"Do you have a point Sheriff?" Dusty asked, eager to leave.

"Got a call today. Some guy told me a biker wanna-be was harrasin' that Wilson girl. Wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

"No, I would not," Dusty replied, looking the sheriff directly in the face.

"Didn't think so. Ya know Dusty, I don't know what you're doin' back here, harrasing the people of my town. But you don't belong here buddy," the sheriff informed him.

"Free country," Dusty shrugged, "I can go wherever I want."

"Yeah, that's true. But you come into my town, you become my bitch."

"I'm done here," Dusty told him, starting to walk back into the motel room. Before he got through the door, the sheriff pulled out a stungun and stuck it to Dusty's neck, sending volts of electricity through his body. Dusty hit the ground, unable to move. The sheriff put away the stundgun and repositioned Dusty so that he was sitting up against the door.

Sheriff Joe squatted down and spat on the sidewalk. He removed his hat before talking.

"Look Dusty, I don't know why you're here or what you want with the girl. Talk to her, kill her, rape her, how should I know? And with a body like the one she's got, I can't say I blame ya if it's the latter. What I do know is that she's gained the whole sympathy of this town after that incident in the woods. And if you hurt her, the town's gonna back me up as I hang your ass in town square. We both know that's something I've wanted to do for a long time. So you go ahead and give me the chance."

The sheriff stood up and placed his hat back on his head. "Go on back where you came from Dusty. Buy a bottle of whiskey and rot that gut some more."

With that the sheriff was gone, and Dusty dragged himself back into the room.

* * *

It was 6:00 that evening as Megan walked back into the diner. She punched in her time card and prepared herself for work. Noticing her arrival, Mr. Silvio came over to greet her.

"Megan, I told you you didn't have to come do this shift today."

"I know Mr. Silvio," she replied, "It's just better if I'm doing something."

He placed a caring hand on her shoulder. Mr. Silvio tried to be a hardass, but he was truly a softie at heart. "Are you okay?"

"I'll be fine," Megan gave him a small smile.

"Alright," Mr. Silvio said, giving her a pat on the shoulder. "Let's get to work!"

The last shift was about six hours. Arive at six in the evening, serve until the place closes at ten-thirty, then clean up for an hour and a half and lock the doors before leaving. Usually Mr. Silvio would stay and help the person throughout the entire shift. He took great pride in his business.
The work did its job of distracting Megan from the incident with Dusty. She needed the distraction. Ever since that happened she couldn't get her mind off of what had happened in those woods. She kept seeing Suzette as they had left her, alone and eager for help to come. She knew Dusty had a point, there was no way that Suzette had broke out of there herself.

Eventually closing time came and the cleanup afterward. A half hour into the cleanup Mr. Silvio asked Megan if she could take care of it. He had other things to attend to. She agreed and finished the job as usual, though it took a little longer. At twelve-thirty she finally left. Walking through the front door, she turned around and locked it. Then made her way to her car in the lot.

She got halfway to the car and suddenly froze as she heard a noise. She turned and looked in the direction the noise came from. It was over by the dumpster. Nervously she watched, wondering what was going on. Suddenly a bottle hit the ground, the sudden noise and movement making Megan jump back!

And a small animal ran away from her. It was only a cat rooting around in the dumpster, as they did from time to time. She shook her head and laughed at her silliness. She got to her car and unlocked the door. Out of nowhere she felt a sudden pain on the back of her head and everything went black...