Status: Unfinished, let me know what you think!

Wake up Call

Conversations

~Adam~
My lips were tingling slightly and I had my fingers against them, trying to keep the sensation. As I reached the bottom step I heard Ella giggling softly. I looked up to her and asked, “What?”

She giggled again, “Get used to it!”

“Used to what?”

“One thing you need to know about Lei, if you are going to spend any length of time around her, is that she is very impulsive. Couple that with her touchy-feely nature and things like kisses happen.”

“So, she kisses people on the lips all the time?” I asked a bit sullenly.

Ella thought for a moment, “Well, no. That I’ve never seen, but she does give cheek kisses and hugs all the time. Also, when the boys are around she is constantly attacking them and jumping on their backs when she is enquiring about their progress.”

I nodded, “Is that why she has rainbow streaks in her hair?”

Ella tilted her head from side to side for a moment before answering, “No, that has more to do with her creativity and love for design than her impulsivity. She designed this whole place, from the cut out in the upper floor to the patterns that shouldn’t fit together, but do. This place really is her baby. Sure, Paige handles the business side, but I honestly think she is only here because of her friendship with Lei. EggDrop is Lei’s dream, Paige is just along for the ride like the rest of us.”

Ella’s information didn’t seem to mesh with Leilani having told me she only comes in once a week. The dichotomy confused me enough to prompt my next question. “Then why does she only come once a week?”

Ella’s face grew forlorn, “That is something you’ll have to ask Lei yourself. It isn’t my place to share her life. I just wanted to warn you that if you are going to spend time with her you’ll have to get used to over-friendly touches. I don’t want you to go making a big deal out of it. She doesn’t give her heart to anyone anymore. Don’t fall for her. It will only hurt you in the end. Now, come on, let’s get you a drink, a snack, and set up in the game room!”

I followed behind Ella and thought about what she said. Being with Leilani felt right somehow, but Ella had warned me away. What had happened in Leilani’s life that made her withhold her love? And was there anything I could do to heal her and get her to love again?

~Leilani~
“My mother called this morning,” Paige told me as soon as we were alone.

“How long before she asked if EggDrop had failed yet?” I asked because that is the only reason Paige’s mother ever seems to call.

“She didn’t even say hello!” Paige exclaimed, throwing her arms up in the air.

I giggled and Paige joined in. “What did you say?”

“Nothing. I just hung up.”

I clapped for a few seconds, “Good for you! The bitch needs to accept that you didn’t want her life. And look on the bright side, you don’t have to take any more calls from her for a whole month!”

“I just wish she was proud of me. Most parents would be ecstatic that their 25-year-old daughter co-owns a very successful company, lives on her own, and can fully support herself. But no, MY mother is praying that I fail.”

“At least your dad is rooting for us. Partial support is better than none at all.”

Paige’s face instantly became apologetic, “Oh Em, I didn’t-“

“Don’t worry about it. Not your fault. I need to get past it.”

“So, Adam Levine huh?” She grinned. She always knew when I needed a subject change.

“Yeah, I guess,” I shrugged.

“Not good enough, I need details,” Paige demanded.

“Ugh, fine. He grabbed my wrist as I was about to hit my car, offered to fix it, then after I told him I would fix it myself he offered me a ride. We are going to head back to my place and I’m gonna fix him dinner.”

“You’re going on a date with Adam Levine!” Paige squeaked.

“What? No. I’m making him dinner. It’s not like he is in to me or anything. Chill out,” I replied coolly.

“He’s been flirting with you and during the meeting his eyes barely left you. After you kissed him he was dazed for a good ten seconds! He is totally in to you my friend.”

“What flirting?”

Paige rolled her eyes, “My God are you naïve! When he offered to fix your car, flirting. You shot that down so he offered you a ride, also flirting. Seriously sweetie, I know you have closed your heart in an impenetrable cage, but at least open your eyes and consider what this may mean to HIM. Don’t break the poor guy,” her last sentence was barely above a whisper, but with those five words I felt my heart strain against its cage for the first time since I locked it away.

“I’ll try Pai.”

“Besides, he may be the one,” she said and then ran away before I could throw a pillow at her. I don’t understand how my no-nonsense best friend could believe in soul mates.

I went into my office and picked up the manuscripts that were waiting in the basket on my desk. Then I made my way to the game room to check on Adam real quick. I watched from the doorway for a bit. I couldn’t tell if he was awake or not. He was stretched out comfortably on the large sectional and some action flick played on the screen, but he wasn’t moving and I couldn’t see if his eyes were open or not. Finally, he reached next to him and grabbed a water bottle, taking a quick swig before putting it back on its place on the floor.

I walked over and crouched by his head. “I have two calls to make. I can do them here or in the car, up to you,” I whispered.

~Adam~
I thought over the options before deciding time spent by Leilani’s side was to be cherished, even if she were on the phone the whole time. “Let’s go. I’d like to head to my place and grab a shower and normal clothes.”

“Okay, just remember to bring something you don’t mind getting dirty so we can work on my car,” Leilani said as we started towards the entrance of EggDrop. Then, as an afterthought, she added, “And something to wear on a motorcycle.”

“You’re gonna let me ride one of your Ducati’s?” I asked hopefully.

A huge smile grew on her face, “As long as you promise not to hurt either of them.”

“Do you have two different models or two of the same?” I queried.

“I’ve got a 899 Panigale and a Hyperstrada.”

When we reached the lobby another chorus of voiced bid us farewell.

“They all seem really friendly and a bit crazy,” I chuckled as we got into my car.

“Yeah, they’re a good bunch. We are all such close friends now. Kayson and Josh are even dating!”

We drove in comfortable science for about five minutes before I spoke, “Why did you pay for the guys to go on a trip to Vegas?”

Leilani’s melodious laugh reached my ears again before, “The problem with us all being so close is that us girls don’t tend to filter ourselves. Plus we all tend to PMS at the same time and feed off each other, which makes it all the worse. They totally deserve the time away from that.”

I laughed long and hard at that, “God bless those guys.”

“Oh they are already saints in my book! They bring us chocolate and hot water bottles and don’t take it personally when we yell at them for no reason. Good guys.”

“Why haven’t you snatched one of them up?” I asked.

“Get me drunk sometime and I’ll tell you.”

Challenge accepted!
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think! Feedback is the only food my muse will eat!