‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Awakening

Light breeze danced in the front lawn of Casa Salvatore, where he stood. Rushing through the trees, making them shiver. He liked that sound. It was peaceful and serene. The velvety darkness around made him feel comfortable and safe. The luminous moon and the twinkling stars felt like home. He didn't even realize, he was smiling.

It had been two days now since he woke up from his slumber and it was weird as hell. The dark was well, dark but it was a human dark now not the vampire dark and it irritated him when the first thing he had to do was switch on the lights.

Then, there was the transportation problem. He was slow as slug and it made him want to kill everything that paced above that sluggish snail speed. His car was his baby but he never knew, he would need it like that.

His other senses were dull too. He wouldn't even be able to smell fire in case it happened or at least that was how he felt. Yes, they were all irritating but the one that angered him the most was his hearing. He couldn't hear a damn thing and he had punched a hole in a wall, giving in to frustration. Ah! And that was also a problem, a simple punch and it hurt like hell. He flexed his hand to feel the knuckles. Yep, still sore.

Stefan and Elena were both kind of off lately and their soft whispers which he couldn't hear and the way they both looked at him with sympathy and pity. He hated it. He had no idea what was the deal with them. They tried to act all happy and chirpy in front of him though as if he had won a lottery.

It wasn't just them but others too. Caroline called him to ask if he was fine. It was freaking weird. He had to go out to see if the sun had rose from west instead of east. That's how messed up it was. And then Bonnie too. She almost looked guilty whenever she looked at him. Like she had done something terrible to him and it was irreversible.

He was just a human for God sake. It was not as if he was dead or something. Even then, he thought...no he was sure nobody would've bothered. He shrugged to himself. Human wasn't that bad. That was what he was supposed to be and if it started to suck too much, he knew all he had to do was ask someone to turn him into one and being an ex-vampire, he knew a lot who would oblige.

He took a deep breath as he raised his eyes to look at the sky. It was vast, infinite, always there when everything else left and it was same everywhere. It made him feel not so alone...among all the supernatural in his house. It was beautiful whether it was day or night, starry or cloudy.

"Obsessed with outside?" Stefan teased as he came to stand beside him, "You're mostly always here."

Damon kept his eyes fixed on the sky, "It's open and refreshing. I never knew nature...it's so peaceful," he looked over to Stefan and smiled not noticing how tensed Stefan's body was.

"You should head in," Stefan managed, shaking his head, "You're gonna get your neck strained, if you keep looking at the stars that way," he remarked and punched his shoulder, "You're a little human after all," he chuckled.

"Yeah. Yeah," Damon smiled back, "Make all fun you want, Stef. Tell me why did I take the cure again?" He sighed, "I was so much better at the vampire thing. I don't know how to function like a human."

Stefan didn't know what to say. He hated lying and lying to his brother...it was hard but he knew he had to keep his mouth shut for Damon's sake. They told him he had taken the cure and had turned to a human when he woke up two days ago. He asked why?

Of course he would have wanted to know. They made it all up. They told him was bitten by werewolf and they force fed him the cure to stop the venom from killing him. He still had his memories though. Stefan thought he would be wiped clean of them like Mia was but it was different. It was all the same. Every event...every truth but the whole picture just lacked Mia like she was ripped out of every scene, like she was never there, never existed. Everything that was concerned with her was gone, leaving everything else, every other memory untouched.

According to him, Bonnie was the one who killed Silas and for that Damon had started to respect her a little more. It was also the fact that he was a human now and he tried not to piss everyone that much but he was Damon and Stefan knew, he couldn't stop himself and God forbid, Stefan didn't want him to. His brother was dead and whenever he thought about it, it was an unpleasant electrifying buzz that travelled through him and he knew he couldn't lose his brother again.

"It's such a huge place," Damon said, interrupting Stefan's train of thought.

"What is?" he glanced at Damon who shrugged.

"Sky," he replied, his eyes memorizing every star, every constellation, "I was wondering if there are people out there...the kind that look out for us. Or the people that have left our world to dwell in another. I wonder if they see us, watch us..." his speech came to a sudden halt as he frowned.

Stefan was speechless. Should he mention there were actually people out there...who have left their lives and dwell somewhere else but they love them where ever they are...that they love him. That she loves him. He shook his head as he bit his own tongue. He made a face when he could taste blood on it. Own blood was not good at all.

"That was such...a," Damon paused as he thought his words over, "Such a human thing to say," he frowned again, "I suck at this stuff," he sighed and Stefan chuckled, tension slowly seeping out of him.

"You'll be fine," Stefan nudged him as he turned to go inside, "Come on, Damon. Elena's waiting."

Elena...yes. That was yet another problem for him. He couldn't believe he still liked her. He wanted her just the same, even with all his human feelings. He had always thought that it was vampire's heightened emotions that screwed with his head. Now he was not so sure. Will he ever get over her? His brother's girl?

He sighed as he went inside. "The lamp," he shouted as he tried to reach it but he wasn't fast enough. Elena closed her eyes, waiting for the lamp to hit the floor. Stefan was gaping at Damon once he heard it crashing on the floor. Damon squinted his eyes at Stefan. "What?" he asked annoyingly.

"How did you..." Stefan started but clamped his mouth shut, "Nothing. Come on, Elena made us dinner. You need it."

Damon rolled his eyes as he followed them. With the pace they were going at, he was sure, he would beg to become a vampire soon enough.
"So, we're having exams soon," Elena said in her chirpy voice and Damon almost asked her what her problem was but he didn't as he silently ate his much needed food. "Then we're gonna have a whole summer...free," she smiled excitedly, "I can't wait."

"What do you say, we all go visit some cool, fun place. We do need a break after all?" Stefan suggested. As much as Damon did want a break, he wasn't sure about being the third wheel with Stefan and his brother's girl. He wanted to smack himself.

He looked at her brown hair that had framed her face but they looked a little dull as to what he remembered. He remembered chocolate brown waves with natural gleam to them. He wondered if Elena had colored them. He liked the old one better.

"Damon?" Stefan frowned and Elena stiffened. This was more difficult than she imagined. She had no idea what was going on inside Damon's head and she wanted to know so much. It was the hundredth time she caught him staring at her and it was unnerving.

"I'm not sure," Damon replied shrugging. "I don't think I want a vacation or something. You guys go ahead though. You need a good break before that shit thing starts again. I'm fine being here," he said and saw a flash of disappointment in Elena's eyes.

His heart tripped inside his chest. Did she wanted him there with them? Was she sad that he had declined it? And then it hit him again. Her eyes were different too. He always saw the chocolate brown eyes, delicious melted chocolate. He needed a grip on things. He was losing it.

"Or you could come with me," Aaron offered and Damon knitted his eyebrows together. He didn't like the guy very much and he didn't even knew why?

"Oh, where are you headed?" Elena asked, taking a bite as she looked at Aaron. Damon turned his gaze on him. . He looked old now. It was a kind of sudden change. He didn't understood it. But then, not so much was making sense lately.

"Back to where I came from. I think it's time to head back," he smiled and looked at Damon, "So what do you think?" he asked politely which was weird again.

A knock on the door startled them and distracted them enough to not wait for Damon's reply for which he was thankful. "We were not expecting anyone, right?" Elena asked, trying to be overly happy.

"It's Bonnie," Damon replied casually as he took a sip of his drink.

He tried to get rid of the nagging feeling but it clawed its way inside. There was this hollowness inside him, a vacuum...a space. He didn't know how to describe it. It was as if he was missing something vital, something of grave importance but he couldn't figure it out and it was frustrating. And now, going off with Aaron or his brother. Ugh...that had to be the worst and difficult choice ever.

"I don't know. He seems fine but is quiet. He doesn't talk much. I feel so bad...Bon. I don't know what to do," Elena was saying and Damon tensed. He was sure they didn't knew he could listen to him. He just was not a vampire anymore...didn't mean he was deaf now. He could hear them both talk in hush voices as if afraid to wake a sleeping baby.

"He'll come around. Coming back from death isn't easy." That one sentence had him burning. Coming back from death. What the hell? He knew they were both talking about him. What did they mean coming back from dead? He was given the cure so he wouldn't die not to bring him back...he wasn't sure if it could bring people back from dead anyway.

"What are you doing, Damon?" Bonnie asked him, sitting on her knees, her eyes leveled with his. Damon raised his eye brows at her. "What did I do?" he asked, confused. Bonnie moved her head slowly to the side and Damon followed her line of vision. There were three candles in the stand flickering there...burning slowly and brightly.

"What..." Damon started, "What am I...you're doing this Bonnie. You're the one with voodoo crap...and Aaron there," he nodded his head in Aaron's direction who was staring stiffly at him and Damon glared at him as Aaron held his head in his hands and let out a muffled scream, his eyes clenched shut, his brows drawn together in pain.

Damon stood up suddenly from the chair, pushing away at the table. "What the hell?" he yelled as he took a few steps back and Aaron dropped his hands as he stared hard at Damon. "What are you doing, Damon?" his voice was clipped.

"You better watch who you're talking to," Damon hissed, "I maybe, a human but I'm not gonna resist doing you major harm."

"I doubt you're a human," Aaron commented, his lips pursed together.

Damon's eyes widen and so did everyone else’s but Aaron still looked at him like he was before. It was as if he was peeling some layer off him, scrutinizing him with his intent eyes. Bonnie let out a small gasp, "Silas' descendent. You do have the connection with nature. Oh my God!"
Oh my God. That phrase reminded him of something but just like everything else it wasn't clear. It was foggy but the words kept chanting in his head, "Oh my God. Oh my God. Oh my God." The voice was sweet and calming but it was distorted like he was receiving some very poor signal and couldn't tune it in.

"Great. I’m out of here" he mumbled as he left for his room. He was tired and couldn't go through another drama again. He needed an off switch, why didn't humans came with that feature? It could be so handy. He took his head in his hands as he plopped on the bed. He was staring at the ceiling, thoughts jumbled up in his mind. He let out an exasperated sigh as he ran his fingers through his hair.

It was disturbing the way he felt as if there was some barrier placed in his head which let out things from him, seeing certain things at bay.
Had he gone through a traumatic experience? He had heard that when people go through something bad, their mind blocks out the negativity of life. Had something more happened to him than everyone was letting him on?

Bonnie had said, he had died. Could it be true that he had died? Could the cure be that powerful to bring back dead? He doubted it but then again, he didn't had his story straight. He tried to recreate the images though but nothing came. There was always chocolate. When did he turn into a damn chocoholic? He never liked it before.

Then there were the numbers 139114751215. They always had the same order to them and he had no clue as to what they meant. He tried several options in his mind. If he really was becoming a psychic, he had to know what it meant. He groaned. Why did everything had to be so messed up? 139114751215."What the hell do you mean?" he asked himself in exasperation.

It was in that moment that he decided what he wanted. He had to know the meaning. He had to know what was wrong with him. He got up in one swift motion as he went downstairs. Silence invaded the room as soon as he stepped into it and all eyes snapped to his. He stared straight into Aaron's eyes and took a deep breath.

"I'm coming with you," he said and saw Aaron as a smile teased his lips, "There is one condition though," he continued.

"What?" Aaron asked still smiling as if he knew what his condition would be.

"You're going to teach me," Damon said simply. If he was a warlock and had some power to himself, why not discover the magnitude and find answers for himself.

"That's why I invited you," Aaron replied and Damon gave him a small smile. Well, that wouldn't be so bad, he thought.

"There's more," Damon countered and Aaron raised his brows. He had not expected more. Well, point 1-0 for Damon. "You ask me no questions," it wasn't a request per se but it wasn't an order either. It was more like a threat. Aaron tried to mask his disappointment but failed to rein in it and Damon smirked. Point 2-0 for him.

"Deal," Aaron sighed and smiled again. Damon rubbed his hands together in anticipation. He had some major work to do now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tell me guys what you think, please. Your opinion matters and will make me write more.
Subscribe/Comment/Recommend.