‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Meddling Complication

It was magical, just looking at each other like that but the moment broke and Mia tensed when Damon narrowed his eyes watching something behind her. He saw a moving shadow and slowly the person became apparent. Damon knew what she was after. He had just created it. He would be damned if he let her have it.

Mia opened her mouth to finally cut the thick air of silence to ask him what was wrong but seeing his wide eyes, she hesitantly turned around to see who was it but she saw nothing. There was nobody there. "Damon?" she asked cautiously but he was busy in focusing his energy on the intruder, trying to cause her pain when in one swift motion she took an upper hand.

Mia turned to face Damon and heard a strangled scream. Her eyes widened as she put her hands on her mouth to minimize the agonizing sound she realized came from her lips. "Damon!" She screamed as the images from last familiar scene came crashing down on her.

It couldn't be. She wasn't reliving it. She wasn't. It didn't happen again. Her heart sliced open and bled away and she looked at him, lying down on his stomach, his neck twisted at such an abnormal angle, it made her sick. She dropped to her knees, her vision blurry as she looked around the empty room and then to him. He was a human now, he didn't had the vampire strength to wake up from twisted neck. Her insides felt as if someone was ripping them apart and there was nothing she could do.

She felt ripped, broken. "Damon," she whispered in a broken whisper. She shuffled with his body, trying to turn him over on his back,
“You're ok, please. Please," she kept chanting like a prayer.

"Mia? What happened?" Stefan barged into the room with Elena hot on his heels, both flustered. "What the hell?" he breathed out looking at his brother, his wide eyes watching Damon and moving to Mia who was suddenly looking like a ghost, her otherwise pale, wheat skin was white, her lips parted as she kept her dead eyes on Damon.

Elena almost dragged herself to his body. "Mia?" her voice was just as broken. Mia didn't see anything, hear anything. She couldn't believe something like that had happened again. It took one moment to ruin everything, a fraction of moment where you couldn't comprehend anything and live in painful eternity.

"Damon! Get up," Stefan almost screamed and Elena sat down beside him, her heart hammering inside her. "Why does it keep happening to us?" Elena cried her wet eyes went to Stefan. "What happened?" Stefan asked Mia who was gently tracing the corner of Damon's lips.

"It was forever and always, Damon. You can't do...you promised," she cried as she bent down to rest her forehead on his cheek, "You can't," she sobbed and Elena came to hug her sideways and Mia raised her head and looked at Damon when her eyes fell on red tint at the corner of his lips and she tensed.

She snapped up her head, "Stefan?" she called out to him, her voice hoarse from crying and he slowly raised his eyes from his dead brother. She was looking at him with a flicker of hope in her eyes. Stefan rushed to her and she pointed to the blood on Damon's lip. "Is that blood?" she asked and Stefan looked at it carefully.

"Seems so," he whispered and looked at Mia. "Mia, what happened to him?" he asked but Mia was just reminded of what they were doing at the basement and she quickly leaned forward to grab his right hand which was tightly clutched. She was frantic as she tried to open his hand but her heart stuttered in her chest as she saw it empty.

"Where is it?" she quickly said, "Where is it?" she looked at Stefan who was looking at her as if she had lost her mind.

"What?" Stefan asked confused, "What are you taking about?" he stood up.

"The drink," she almost screamed, her eyes returning to Damon for just a second before she started to look around for his drink.

"What drink?" Stefan asked, "What does it look like?" he said looking at the table beside her.

"The immortality drink he created," she said frustrated, "it was right here," she touched his palm where she had seen the vial, "It was right here," she said when the realization dawned upon her. Her heart stuttered in her chest, her breath hitched, "No, no, no, no," she tugged her hair back as she stood up and started pacing the small area before she dropped on her knees again besides Damon.

Katherine. That's why she was here. She wanted the drink he had made. Mia raised her head from Damon. "I'm going to kill her. I'm going to kill Katherine for this," she said in a shaky voice. She had just seen her glimpse when she ran away but Damon's lifeless form was falling and Mia couldn't think of anything except him and the pain that blinded her.

"Katherine?" Stefan questioned and Mia nodded as she turned back to Damon. "I'm going to kill her," she said, her tears running freely on her cheeks. "I'm going to kill her," she hissed the words with so much hatred, so much fire.

"Mia, what happened? What are you talking about? Immortality drink...what?" he had no idea what was happening. All he knew at the moment was that his brother was dead and Mia was going crazy and he couldn't save either of them.

"I just need the drink," Mia said harshly but then took a deep breath, "I don't know, Stefan. He was fine...he was...we were going," she sobbed, "I don't...immor," she had no idea what she was talking about. She was losing it. She was losing her mind, it wasn't cooperating and Mia let out a frustrated scream raking a hand through her hair.

"I'm sorry," Mia cried touching Damon's face gently, "I'm...I'm so, so sorry. What you did was wrong and all your reasons were messed up but I love you anyway," she said, "Did you hear me? I love you anyway, Damon. I told you that before. I don't care about any of those things. I just wanted you with me," she said as Stefan looked on at her.

"Calm, Mia," Stefan said, "Calm down," he was trying to calm her down.

"Is this what you were looking for?" Elena asked holding a small vial and Mia quickly turned around to see the vial in her hand, an easy rush flowing through her. How could she be so stupid, she knew there were two vials but she thought Katherine took both of them. Apparently not. It must have been in her grip. She rushed towards Elena and snatched the vial taking Elena by surprise.

Mia could hear the beat of heart drumming in her ear and her hands were shaking as she opened the bottle. She didn't know if it would work. It was the immortality drink not the cure. It couldn't bring people back from death but she had to try. It was the last bottle and she knew Damon would've wanted her to take it but there was no eternity without him. Hell, there was no life without him, eternity was like talking in leaps and bounds.

She took a deep breath, her heart hoping and praying with every single beat. "Is it like cure?" Elena asked but Mia shook her head.

"Mia, how do we know it's safe and wouldn't...you know, have side effects or something? What if it kills him?" he asked finally.

Mia smiled, "It wouldn't kill him," she said her voice confident, hopeful, "I trust him," she said completely believing in his powers, in his magic as she slowly put the vial to his lips, "I love you, Damon. Just remember that," she said softly. Mia leaned in slowly to plant a soft kiss on his cheek as her lips lingered there when she felt the tight grip on her wrist and she pulled back, startled.

"He's in transition," Stefan said from behind her as Mia looked at the small blue veins under Damon's eyes, his eyes still closed. "I don't think, he's in transition. I think it's just completed," Elena said in reply to Stefan's remark.

Mia had no idea how could he transition or why there were blue veins under his eyes. All she knew was that his hand had moved and he was taking the blood which meant that he was fine, he would be fine.

Mia felt a rush of satisfaction flooding her and she let out a sigh of relief, her former tears of grief turning into one of happiness and she looked at his changing face. There was color there now and Mia felt her heart restart again beating without painful tremors shaking her body.

Mia reached her other hand to touch his face. As soon as her finger made the contact with his veined skin, Damon snapped open his dark, almost black eyes looking at Mia's smiling face hovering above him. "Welcome back," she said inhaling deeply as she took her first painless breath after he fell with twisted neck.

Damon smiled at her, his veins disappearing under her touch, his eyes returning to their dazzling blue as Mia leaned forward to kiss him. "I love you too," he said looking deeply into her eyes. Mia cocked her head to the side, "You heard?" she asked.

"I heard that you love me anyway," he said, "Other I just flat out ignored." Mia laughed and shook her head at him, the pain from just moments ago all forgotten as if it never happened and she was ecstatic that she will never have to see that sight again, or feel that kind of slicing pain.

Damon flashed up to a sitting position and took a moment to recover from the fastness with which he moved. "Yeah, you're an immortal now," Elena said as she came forward and slapped his arm, "You scared the hell out of us," she said with a small smile at the same time Stefan came up, "How many lives you got brother?" Damon chuckled and shrugged.

He was an immortal now. That's what it felt like...being an immortal. The world was clearer, brighter, he was faster and stronger. It was such an upgrade. He had thought immortality would be like Silas', just that you weren't easily killable but there was none of the vampire abilities that came with immortality, not that he was complaining.

He looked at Mia and smiled. He was there. He was going to share his life freely with Mia now. "When did you wake up?" he asked and Mia smiled at him sadly. "What?" he knitted his eyebrows together in confusion. Why was she looking at him like that?

"She's not the one who keeps scaring us, brother," Stefan remarked and Damon straightened, the images from before clashing with his mind. Katherine. He saw her coming at him and he tried to cause her pain but she was fast...so damn fast. She snapped his neck...his wide eyes looked at Mia. She gave him her blood too. "I can't kill off a pretty face," she had whispered in his ear as she snatched the drink from his hand.

He wasn't an immortal. He was a vampire with Katherine's blood in his system. Being a vampire was delighting, he was used to this, the magnitude of increased feelings, the rush of it, he was familiar with it though a part of him was going to miss his witchy voodoo powers. I rock whatever species I am, he thought with a small smirk.
"And if you ever hurt Mia like that, I'm going to kill you myself," Elena said pointing out how crazily Mia had been in pain until he didn't open his eyes. Damon smiled at her and pulled Mia to himself, her head resting on his chest as he leaned back on the wall and ran his hand slowly on her back.

"I'm sorry it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to," he said and Mia nodded absently. When did it ever? She thought. Damon didn't want to disappoint her. He knew she would be worrying that he was a vampire and a vampire does not guarantee life like being an immortal did but he was fine. "It's ok, Mia. Plus, you needed it more than me," he said shrugging, "I mean it's hard to live under a shadow of a powerful immortal girlfriend but I'll survive," he smirked, "Vampirism is sort of immortality too."

Mia closed her eyes and sighed. He had no idea what had happened? He was thinking that Katherine took his cure and made him a vampire but Mia didn't gave her up, that she was now an immortal because she had taken the drink when the truth was so far from that. Mia didn't know he had Katherine's blood, she just fed him her drink. Him becoming a vampire was a knowledge that came after he opened his eyes.

"Hey Stef, you got blood?" he asked, looking at Stefan.

"You hungry already?" Stefan raised his eyebrows.

"Uh...yeah. I need to complete the transition," he replied with a smile in Mia’s direction and she flinched. Elena narrowed her eyes and shook her head in confusion.

"But you did complete the transition," Elena said and pointed to Mia, "She gave you the blood. That’s how you woke up that soon."

"What? No, I woke up because of Katherine's," he argued. He remembered waking up to Mia's face smiling down at him but he hadn't taken any bloo...he stopped mid thought and straightened up suddenly. The vial. She was holding the vial in her hand. He looked around for it as Mia slowly shook her head.

"The drink?" Damon asked as he felt the heaviness in the pit of his stomach. No, no it couldn't mean what he possibly thought it meant. He knew Katherine was here. He saw her. Hell, he even tried to fight her off but she was just too damn fast. If she succeeded in taking his drink, then there was only one other vial of it and if according to Elena, he had taken it...he turned to look at Mia who had clenched her eyes shut.

No, no. It was the last of the immortality drink. He couldn't take Mia's only shot at being with him. "Mia?" Damon questioned.

"Tell me it's not true? Please, tell me it's not true," he said, his breathing heavy as he waited for her answer. Please, say no. Please, say no.
Mia hung her head as she played with her fingers which told him she was nervous and the act made him nervous but it was traumatized into million other emotions when she whispered in a small voice, "It is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
A Beautiful Lie - 30 Seconds To Mars