‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Unexpected

A thousand knives jabbed at her heart as she took in the scene in front of her. The way he was so relaxed around her like they were best of friends, the ease with which he was smiling while her heart had been tossing and twisting in pain since he had said his last goodbye to her.
She wanted to go up and take out her jugular, whoever she was. She had never felt that kind of wicked jealousy for anyone. She had never harbored such feelings either but the longer she looked at her gleaming brown hair, the more she wanted to badly injure her.

Who was she anyway? Did he know her? Was she the reason he had left her? Could she be the one, she couldn't compete with? Had she been thrown out of Damon's life because of her, the girl with pretty hair and nice laugh?

She wanted to see her so bad. To see what could she possibly possess that Mia didn't have or couldn't have? She didn't even realize that her hands were fisted and she was trying to pull in the oxygen in gulps to keep herself functioning.

"You ok?" Cam asked as he came to stand beside her but looking at her tense frame, he was taken aback. He thought they were making progress with the Damon situation. It wasn't going to go away that easily, he knew that but he thought maybe, he had made her forget him for a moment.
He sighed and followed her line of vision only to be shocked by the scene that unfurled. Damon was very openly flirting with a brunette, his signature smirk on his face as he had engaged the girl in an interesting talk.

Stefan was sitting just beside him ignoring him and his behavior while making annoyed faces. What the hell? Cam was charged with an anger so potent, he wanted to rip Damon's heart out. Granted, he was the one who had asked for Damon to breakup with Mia but only to keep her safe, not so that Damon would break her heart and then crush her soul by being with someone else. He hesitantly turned to look at her and the pain flashing in her eyes ate away at him. That's it. He was going to kill that man.

Mia quickly grabbed his arm when Cam moved forward towards Damon and pulled him back. Her heart felt cold, almost frozen, numb but she had to feel something, she wouldn't give them up for Damon who obviously had no effect over leaving her. "Mia, he..." Cam started and clenched his eyes shut but Mia shook her head.

"It doesn't matter," she said in a small voice, "I don't want to see him anyway," she tried to be casual about it but how could she? How could anyone, once they've named their whole life for someone? "Let's just get out of here," she said and averted her eyes from the wretched scene that she knew will haunt her forever.

Mia was at the door when her heart betrayed her again and she turned to see him for the last time, the man she loved with everything she was and the one who had completely ruined her.

Instead of meeting with a dazzling blue, her eyes met with pair of haunting brown eyes that widened when they saw her. Mia felt her heart trip inside her chest. All the hatred, all the anger she was feeling multiplied to a thousand degrees as she stared at the very familiar face. A face which was a curse for her, which took everything away from her. She was looking at her own face...just that it belonged to someone completely different.

The glass shattered on the floor as Damon hastily stood up from the stool and faced Mia with guilt and shame in his eyes but it didn't matter to her. Nothing mattered anymore.

"Mia?" he mumbled, apology evident in his tone. She looked beaten, exhausted and he knew it was his fault but she didn't spare him a glance as she kept staring at Maya who was also looking intently at Mia. Their eyes both locked on each other as of prey and predator but he couldn't fathom who was playing the role of whom.

Cam was fuming. He was sure his mind would explode with the intensity of the feelings. He felt sick at the kind of pain he was sure Mia would be feeling. "I'm going to kill them," Cam said as he determinedly moved past Mia but just like before, she stopped him with her hand on his forearm. Cam turned to look at her with annoyance but she kept her eyes on Maya.

"No. Let me," she almost hissed as she squared her shoulders and forced her feet to move.

She could hear the little buzz in her ear, the thrumming of her heart and unmistakable feeling of her blood boiling. She tried to tone it down because she knew her overwhelmed emotions could cause destruction but she had no idea how to pull the reins.

Maya wasn't standing there just in shock. Every time she looked at her goody little look alike wannabe, her hands itched to cause her bodily harm so painful that it would imprint itself on her body and mind, hurt her so bad that she would wish to die.

The feeling of hatred was deeply rooted in Maya and even though she had had the satisfaction of killing her, she knew she could do it again and again and never get tired of it, never feel regret over it because to her that was what Mia deserved. Like mother, like daughter and nobody knew them better than Maya did.

"What are you doing here?" Mia bit out, her eyes flashing with anger and annoyance. Damon could feel the raw emotions emanating from her for he was so in tune with them. He pursed his lips together as she narrowed her eyes on Maya.

"Oh look," Maya greeted casually as she put her hand on her hip, "If it isn't the feisty two goody shoes wannabe?"

"What are you doing here, Maya?" Mia repeated her question as her heart started to pull her into the direction she didn't want to take. Unable to resist, she stole a quick glance at Damon standing beside Maya facing Stefan at his side. It was unnerving to see the same person who owned her completely could anger her to so much extent that she wanted to punch him or better yet, Maya.

"So, you do remember me?" Maya smiled and put her hand to her chest as she batted her eyes, "I'm so flattered."

"Yes," Mia replied, "Surprisingly, you hardly forget the one who killed you."

"Hmm," Maya sighed as if replaying the scene before snapping back into the reality, "which reminds me of the fun night. Don't you know how to stay dead by the way?" she smiled and took a sip of her drink, "I mean, me killing you was the best thing that ever happened to you. Haven't you had enough of torture?"

Damon was getting sick of the talk. He could still remember Mia's face when she woke up from that dream. The night when her last memory returned, the memory of Maya holding Shawn hostage and luring Mia into the woods where she killed her. He still couldn't believe his angel had faced death before and to see it at the hands of Maya...he took a deep breath to control his thoughts otherwise he was sure he would end up with Maya's blood on his hands.

He closed his eyes and felt Stefan put his hand on his shoulder in a consoling manner. Best thing that ever happened to her? Best thing was when the cure he brought for Elena slipped from his hands and was readily soaked by the ground. Best thing was when the same accident of losing the cure brought back the one thing that changed his life, him and everything he knew. The best thing was Mia and the radiance that was so purely her, the thing that he had tainted by merely existing. Best thing ever would be when he would kill Maya with her satanic accomplice Katherine.

"Where's Katherine?" Mia asked and Damon snapped his head to her, his eyes wide with disbelief. Was it possible that her thoughts were running in sync with him?

Maya scoffed at her, "I guess not then," she answered her own question and wobbled her head at Mia who was looking intently at her. Her lips were pursed, her eyes tight and calculating. It was true, she had reformed. Maya didn't remembered her like this.

"Where is she?" Mia asked again. She had to know where Katherine was. She took away everything from her in a snap of a second, turned her life inside out. She lost the drink because of her. She went through the pain of losing Damon again, a feeling she never wanted to experience again after what Damon did with Silas and then, she lost Damon in a completely different way but it didn't mean it was any less painful.

She knew she was a guardian, an angel but God help her, she didn't feel like it. She just wanted Katherine dead, the fire of revenge burning so deep within her, she couldn't fight it. Fighting that fire was fighting herself. It was that much embedded in her. She took a deep breath but the oxygen that went in did nothing but burn it brighter.

"God! You're still a stubborn little annoying pest?" Maya remarked and Damon fisted his hands together so much so, his knuckled turned white but he had to restrain. He couldn't lose control, not in front of Mia and he knew she wanted it. She wanted this poison to get out of her system. She had to yell at someone, at the unfairness of her life and he knew she would feel better after she talked it out with Maya. A sense of closure maybe, he didn't know but she wanted it which was why he stood quietly watching her sweet, naive angel taking her mighty flight.

"What do you want with Katherine, huh? Do you still have a death wish?" Maya said tauntingly.

"I'm not a weakling you met two years ago," Mia replied her tone serious and determined, controlled and Damon soared with pride. No, she was not. She could fend for herself now, fight her own battles. She was strong and brave now, so different from how she was when he saw her for the first time.

"No, I see you have claws now which is really refreshing. The old you was boring," She said and let out a small chuckle, her eyes twinkling with amusement. "I see the death did you some good."

"I'm going to ask you for the last time, Maya. Where is Katherine?" Mia all but hissed and took a step forward, her shoulders tense and squared, her hands were fisted like Damon's at her side.

"Hasty, are we?" Maya teased and leaned forward as if to share a secret, "A word of advice," she scrunched her nose, "Keep away from Katherine. You might be a 'I'm a powerful undead' but you're not ready to face her yet, Kitty."

Mia leaned back as her expression faltered and her eyes softened, "Thank you for your touching concern," she said with an innocent smile and touched her hand to her heart before putting a scowl on her face and almost pushed Maya back to the counter, "Now, where the hell is she?" she bit out every word and looked straight at Maya.

"Just give her what she needs," Damon finally interfered seeing the situation getting out of hand. Mia was beyond pissed and he had never seen this side of her. He wanted to stop it before she did something she would regret afterwards. Damn her closure, he didn't want her to feel guilty over something like this.

"Are you kidding me? Why should I?" Maya looked accusingly at Damon.

"Because I said so," Mia hissed putting her hands on Maya's neck and felt pleasure at the thick fear that coursed through her veins.

"Rot in hell," Maya spit out and pushed Mia away. Damon quickly went to grab her but she steadied herself and glared at Damon. How dare he try to play her knight when he dumped her so cruelly?

Her eyes darted to Maya when she reprimanded her in a loud voice, her voice clogged with unshed tears, "Rot in hell, you bitch. You ruined me. You ruined my life. You took everyone away from me and now, you want Katherine? So what? So you could totally wreck me? Are you going to kill her too, you murderer? You friggin' bitch."

"What?" Mia was taken aback as she staggered a little at her open accusations, "I-I ruined your...You're the one who ruined me," Mia exploded at her, "You and Katherine both. You took away my life, my parents, my friends. You killed me just for the heck of it. Just because you thought I was standing between you and Cam."

"Look, Missy. I just took back what was mine and I don't know who the hell is Cam but I know one thing," she said and advanced towards Mia with cold eyes and Damon stepped in with her, his eyes resting on Mia, "the hell would freeze over before I betray Katherine."

Didn't know Cam. What a liar? Of course, she knew Cam. She killed Mia for it. She told herself that it was because she was meant to be with him not her but she didn't care a bit, "Rest assure then because I will find her and I will kill her."

Ditto that, Damon thought when his eyes fell on Cam and he felt a surge of anger. Maya killed Mia that night because of him? Really? He couldn't believe it.

"Fine then," Maya said and swiped her hand, "Find her to your heart’s content and she'll kill you for both of us because she's not going anywhere," Maya challenged her because after living with Katherine, she knew one thing. Katherine was a survivor, a Pierce and she wouldn't leave Maya behind. She had survived 500 years’ worth of torture and she'd never given up.

"Really? Why not? Because she took the immortality drink?" Mia raised her eyebrows.

"She...what?" Maya couldn't believe it. Katherine had the immortality drink? Why didn't she tell her? Where did she get it from? Oh, she must be looking for her then. She had to find Katherine, quick.

"What? Mommy didn't tell you?" Mia taunted her and smiled.

"Don't you dare..." Maya charged at her taunt, taking Mia by surprise as she toppled over and Cam rushed to catch her. Mia caught her breath as she felt a pair of arms go around her. Oh! Thank God for Damon, she thought, her heart pumping so fast, it made her dizzy. She sighed and slowly opened her eyes, trying to get a grip when she saw Damon holding Maya back who was constantly kicking to get to Mia.

Mia drew in a breath as Cam helped her stand up. Disappointment filled her pores. She could feel her heart breaking again. As much as she was trying to push Damon away, she couldn't just erase her every memory of him. How could she go back to the start which is why she needed to find Katherine. "I'm fine," she muttered to Cam and stood up facing Maya.

"Hey. Back down. Control yourself," Damon was saying to Maya, his hold on her tightening as she struggled in his arms.

"Why are you protecting her?" Maya looked at Damon accusingly.

"I'm protecting you," he said simply and Mia felt a surge of power flowing within her.

"I don't need it," She hissed at Damon annoyingly and Damon raised his hands. Seeing that he had freed her, Maya jerked her head and ran out the door. She would never have done that, leave a fight hanging like that but she saw an opening and she had to rush out. She had to find Katherine and she knew that Mia wouldn't have let her if she had stayed to put in a last word.

"Are you ok?" Damon asked looking at Mia with nothing but concern shining his eyes and Mia's heart squeezed. She wanted to give in to the part of her that wanted to forget everything and find solace in his embrace but she wouldn't give up her self-respect like that. It was all she had left now and she forbid him to shred that away.

"Are you done protecting her?" she hissed at him because it was the only way she knew how to protect herself...by trying to hate him, by showing him that she didn't need him.

"Mia," Damon called her name in a defeated tone as he took a step in her direction and God, how she loved it when he called her?

"No," she said a stern voice surprised that she was capable of it. She raised her hand as a stop sign in front of her, "Of all the girls in the world, you chose her, Damon? Her?"

"I didn't chose anybody," How could she even think like that, it was beyond him. Was she so easily convinced that he didn't love her? That he would leave her for some other woman? Weren't they yet, past that problem in their relationship?

"Didn't look like that to me," she mumbled, the torturing images playing in her mind, the way she was with him. The way he was talking and sitting so comfortably around her. She knew it would haunt her for the rest of her life.

"You're angry," he mumbled to himself as he rubbed at his temples. It was yet again, his fault. He had no idea when would he ever stop messing things up. He didn't know she would be there though. He was just trying to find Katherine's location for himself. He had decided that she had ruined his life enough, took away his happiness for far too long. It was time that she paid.

"The hell I am," she exploded with a hiss. No matter how much she tried to downplay her emotions, she knew she was angry at him, with him. She wanted to clear everything out with him knowing well, he didn't want to leave her but after seeing him with Maya like that...Maya of all people, she couldn't pretend anymore. She wasn't just angry. She was furious.

"It wasn't what you're thinking," he clarified wanting her to look at him but she scoffed, her shoulders shaking with mirth of surprised laughter.
"Whatever you say, Damon. It's always whatever you want," she waved her hand casually and turned around.

Damon wanted to scream out his frustration. She had no idea how much of him she held with herself. It was never what he wanted. If only everything could go the way he wanted. She would've run to him. He would never have broken her. He would have held her in his arms and assure her of betterment when he found out that she was expecting. He would have loved her every single second of the day and never let go. No, it was never what he wanted. It was always what he needed to do in hope that things will be better one day but the arrival of that day seemed hopeless now.

"Let me drop you home, at least," he said seeing all his efforts backfiring upon him.

"I don't have one," she mumbled to herself but he heard her and he wished he hadn't because the pain was increasing by mere seconds and he knew he wouldn't be able to hold himself together any longer.

"Mia, you have it," he said and saw Cam's eyes widen in response at the periphery, "You know you're always," he paused, "it's always gonna be your..."

"No. Not anymore," she replied, her eyes clenched shut but she didn't turn around to face him, "not when she has taken..."

Damon shook his head at her reference of Maya again. "Mia, you don't..."

"Spare me the 'you don't understand' speech because I do," Mia spoke up, turning around to face him, his blue eyes meeting with her brown ones, "Ok? I get it. I see why you like her," she said and saw him wince, "She doesn't have baggage like me. Her existence is not painful to you. She's not cursed to doom," she completed.

She understood it now, why she felt like he didn't want to leave her. Because he wasn't out of love with her which perfectly explained why he wanted Maya. Same face but without the Heavens trying to snatch her away from him.

Another kind of pain, so much stronger than before crushed upon her with the realization that she really had lost him. There was no hope now, no beacon of light shining at the end of the tunnel. Damon stood there shocked. He couldn't even force his brain to function with the dead seriousness in her voice. How could she reach that conclusion? He couldn't fathom it and he knew he should deny it right away but he couldn't get a word out.

Damon saw Cam reaching forward as he wrapped his arms around Mia's shoulder and started to lead Mia away, her head down, her shoulders defeated. "No, Mia," he came to stand in front of her, his eyes pained, "Leave her," he ordered Cam through his teeth and tried to take her, reaching to give her the support he knew she needed.

"Don't," Mia shrugged his hands away, "Don't touch me," she said knowing how he would completely destroy her if she let him touch her.

"Cam, please," she looked at Cam pleading with her eyes and he came forward looking at Damon with cautionary eyes. He signed to him that they were not alone, that the whisperers were there looking at the scene created by them and saw the fire burning to tell her the truth extinguish in Damon's eyes as his fight left him all alone, cold and lonely.

Damon felt Stefan's hand on his shoulder as he saw Cam leading the vital part of his life away from him. His angel, his Mia.
♠ ♠ ♠
Can't Forget You - The Darkest Days
​Save Yourself - ​​​​The Darkest Days