‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Aimless

The words echoed deep within her almost as if they were a part of her soul, torturing her. The tears flowed freely. She was supposedly the all-powerful being here and she felt pathetic, weak, helpless and mostly useless knowing Damon was still here...captive. Her energy was almost drained out and she had no idea why she kept getting weaker. She wasn't even using it for anything except for killing Thierry. Killing?

She had killed a man. Until Silas, it was fine. He deserved it but she didn't even knew Thierry. She couldn't find any justified reason for killing him except that he was going to kill Damon...Damon who was an immortal. He wasn't going to die anyway though with her blood, she was sure it could happen but the look on his face when Thierry was messing with her was of pure rage, helplessness, defeat and they all rang up a deep chord within her that put her on fire, blinding rage that she killed him.

She could've hurt him, paralyze him for some time but killing...she still couldn't control her powers and that made her feel more helpless and out of control. They never activated until the situation was real bad and didn't stop when it was under control. She always took it a little further as if she was consumed in the feeling of it. She relished in that power, lost herself in it as if hypnotized.

The energy. She understood it now why there was a limited energy for her use. If there was unlimited supply of it, she would turn the whole world into a dirt plain when enraged. It was her inhibiting factor, the thing that held her together. Otherwise, she would be just like the rest of the cruel world...maybe even worse. She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her forehead on it, her back to the wall as she let out her frustrations.

Damon roused up, feeling the crick in his neck as he gently came to the sitting position and moved his neck to the right and then left. The room felt more darkened than it was before or maybe he was going blind. He had no idea how many vervain dozes he had for the day or how many times he had his neck twisted. Man, it was just like his time with the Augustine psychopaths. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath when her face formed, distraught and pained and everything came back. Mia...Katherine...

He snapped his eyes to the right and there she was, his angel. A small whimper broke through her lips and crashed into him as he moved a little closer to her.

"Mia!" he called for her and realized even his voice was weak. He cleared his throat, "Mia?" he extended his hand till the chain buried into the skin of his wrist but he ignored the pain to touch her elbow and Mia gasped, her eyes scared as she looked at him.

Damon withdrew his hand immediately but very slowly saw warmth seeping into her eyes and his heart soared at the sight as she straightened up, her brows pinched together in concern, "You're up," she stated more to herself but he nodded nevertheless.

"You're crying?" he asked in a desolated tone, rubbing his own eyes to adjust to the dim lights of the room and Mia shook her head as she cleaned the tears with the back of her hand. "I'm fine," she said.

Damon chuckled, "You're such an angel," he smirked knowing well her small lie to keep him from worrying. He could see the big tear drops in her eyes and the trail of them on her cheek.

"Ha-ha," Mia retorted which wasn't much of a retort as she sniffed and wiped her eyes again.

"Hey, what happened?" he asked in a serious tone knowing beforehand what the problem was but he also knew that her talking it out would help her and he wanted that, for her to share herself with him like she always used to. It was the thing that made him love her because she never pretended with him, she was always herself with him, only him and she felt comfortable sharing even the smallest, craziest thoughts with him and somehow that made him feel better, useful and he felt that it was true, whatever it was between them.

"You're still here and...I can't help," she shrugged and raised her eyes to look at him. His blue eyes were looking at her with the same emotions that she always used to see and her heart tripped inside her chest. She knew he was thinking about her, he had that look in his eyes that never ceased to amaze her. It was full of warmth, love, content and she reveled in it.

"At least you have a great company," he smirked and Mia smiled, "It'll be boring as hell without me," he winked at her and saw her shoulders shaking with silent laughter, her eyes dancing again.

"Some company you are," she mocked him, waving her hand to make a point and Damon raised his hands in surrender, his brows raised. "Katherine's doing," he answered innocently and saw seriousness return to her face.

"I hate her, Damon," she admitted the truth that she had been admitting a lot now.

Damon snorted, "I know...I know. Everybody does," he looked at Mia, "She's just popular like that," he shrugged and wished it would bring out another smile but Mia's eyes remained on him before she sighed and looked away.

"And now she dropped the Maya bomb on me," she shook her head and it was time for Damon to look away, his thoughts flooding with the information he knew. He didn't knew anything about her family but he remembered he had a chance to learn all about it but damn it, his memories weren't helping him that time. He didn't remember the number that used to plague him but he knew how to make it up again. 'Miangelo.'

He promised himself to find everything about it once he gets his release from this hell hole. "She's just doing that to rile you up," he said to Mia and she snapped her eyes to him. "Why does she look like me?" she asked him the question she had asked herself a thousand times and none of the scenario helped her make any sense.

"I don't know, angel," he simply replied and clasped his hands together as he put them on his forehead.

Mia took a deep breath as she bit her lip and squared her shoulders, "I'm going to kill Klaus," she said determined and Damon felt a shock hearing her words. "Whoa, hold one, warrior princess," he straightened up, "What are you talking about?"

"Why would she want me?" Mia asked, "Her only enemy is Klaus and she wants me to kill him," she looked at her own clasped her hands as she played with her fingers.

"Did she said that?" Damon asked confused. He had heard their whole conversation and there was no mention of Klaus, he was sure of it.

"No," Mia sighed, "But it makes sense. What else would she want from me?" According to her, there was no other plausible theory.

"I don't think..." Damon started but Mia knew what he was going to say. He was going to talk her out of it and knowing him, he would succeed which was why she decided not to listen to him.

"I have to, Damon. It's the only way she'd let you go," she nodded her head firmly like the decision was made already.

"By you killing Klaus," he used his voice of reason knowing it would be bothering Mia right now but she gave him a single rigid nod and Damon sighed, "You can't kill him, angel," he coaxed her to change her mind.

Mia let out an exasperated sigh. Wasn't it clear that she wouldn't let them out if Mia didn't do that? "She wouldn't let you go otherwise," Mia said in a clipped tone and looked away. His blue eyes were doing their magical things to her and she felt twitchy.

"How's this about me?" He raised his voice slightly demanding from her to look at him but Mia glued her eyes to her hands. "It's simple, Damon. She has you for leverage and I have to kill Klaus."

Damon shook his head as he moved to take her hand but the chains bit his skin and he couldn't go any forward. Damon tugged her sleeve to free her hand from tight grasp of her right one. The shock traveled up her skin to her spine and Mia let her left arm drop to the floor on her side. Damon reached his pinky finger to hook her thumb and Mia felt a shiver rock her body as she moved a little towards him and he took her hand in his.

The hair on her body stood, it had been so long...so long without his touch but her body remembered it so clearly and reacted in all the same ways. "Mia, you can't kill him," he said and weighed her hand in his, seeing it fit so perfectly in his. He wanted to be more close to her but the chain on his wrist was already injuring him and he saw the same with Mia's hand. God, couldn't they tie them up closer to each other?

"I do," Mia broke his train of thoughts, "It's you or it's him," she rephrased Damon's long ago sentence when he had to kill Claire, her guardian because Silas had her under his grasp and she was trying to kill Mia. Unease flooded her but she concentrated at the task on hand.

"You can't always choose me, Mia. You have to help him. You pro..." he wanted to remind her of her promise to Elijah, that she would help his brother and his family. That was how Elijah forgave her for killing Rebekah.

"And you can?" She raised her brows, challenging him. He always put her first, hurting anybody who came in the way to helping her but when it came to himself...how could he expect any different from her?

"Mia?" Damon shook his head as he drew circles on her hand with his thumb.

"I wouldn't pick him over you," Mia said, a ring of finality in her tone and then a sad sigh as she remembered that he had broken up with her. Maybe, he didn't feel that way now but it didn't change the fact that she still felt the same way that even if he wasn't in love with her didn’t meant that she'd just let him die or something.

"I know," she started and pulled away her hand but Damon tugged it towards himself and Mia continued, "I keep forgetting about the...break up but I can't," she paused and inhaled deeply, "I can't just stop caring about you. I owe..."

"I don't want you to stop caring about me," he said in a hoarse voice and Mia felt the tingling sensation up to her toes.

"Then why are you asking me save him?" she asked in a whisper, her fingers folding around his as he lowered his head to lay a soft, teasing kiss on her knuckles and felt Mia flex her hand in his bringing out a smile on his face.

"Klaus is original," he stated and raised his head to look at her, "Our blood line is originated from him. If he dies, so does Katherine...and me."
Mia scrunched up her nose, "Then how can she get rid of him?"

"I don't know," he replied, "And I don't know what does she want from you," he said as he looked at her hand and played with her fingers almost unconsciously. His conscious thoughts were filled with ways to touch her more and how could he achieve that with the damn chains.

"If I kill him, she doesn't die," Mia said as she closed her eyes when Damon started to trace the visible veins on her hand with his finger slowly. "She took...umm," she squirmed, "your drink. The immortality drink."

"Hmm," was the Damon's only reply as he turned her hand and started to trace her palm. Mia kept her eyes closed as she tried to focus on the Katherine thing but the butterflies flapping in her stomach and the buzz under skin was proving to be a little too much for her.

"And you don't either. It's simple," Mia said just when Damon raised her hand to kiss her palm and she barely suppressed her moan as she pulled her hand away from him, clenching it into a tight fist to minimize the feelings that traveled from there. She had to keep her sanity. It might not even be real, it might be just a 'guy and girl thing locked up in a basement with nothing to kill their time with' thing. "And you both live," she said.
Damon sighed and leaned back to the wall, his hand gently massaging his wrist as he tried to calm his racing heart. She was amazing. She could easily intoxicate him, captivate him into surrender and make him feel alive again. "She lets you go," Mia completed her sentence, causing Damon to look at her. He licked his lips and saw Mia eyeing him hungrily before she blinked her eyes in succession and turned her gaze away from him. She was so not helping the matter.

Damon straightened up and chuckled causing Mia to look at him as if he had grown two heads, "I can't believe it," he sighed, "Never in a hundred years, I thought I would say it."

"What?" Mia asked somewhat amused by his sentence, a small smile playing on her lips though she was still tapping her foot, nervous of his answer.

"You still can't kill him," he used his reasoning voice again and Mia rolled her eyes, "I do have a family, Mia," he said wincing a little at the word, family and saw Mia's eyes widen as understanding dawned upon her.

"Stefan?" she said in a whisper. Now, she just wanted to hate herself, she even did. It didn't even occur to her that Damon wasn't the only one linked to Klaus' bloodline. How blind could she be, how ignorant and uncaring? She clasped her hands together and twisted her fingers, letting the cracking sound echo in the basement.

"And Elena, and Caroline, Tyler..." he trailed off and leaned his head to the wall.

"Then, what does she want? There's no escape route," Mia said dejectedly.

"Don't worry," Damon replied, "Stefan and Co. will be planning an escape route," he smirked, his eyes closed. He hoped it wouldn't be like his time in the Whitmore where Stefan failed him. He shook his head, he didn't want to think that way. At that time, he had been an irresponsible, monster of a brother but now, they had an understanding. They were almost brothers again and Stefan would be here. He knew he would be.

"He doesn't know," Mia said quietly and Damon snapped open his eyes to meet hers. "What?" he questioned her. How could she be so reckless?
"I didn't know what I was getting myself into," Mia replied, "I didn't want to put them in danger."

"You didn't tell anyone?" He asked. He was angry not because he was sure that no help was coming but why wouldn't Mia have a backup plan for herself. What if she got herself in here and found out that he wasn't there? How she would've gotten out then? What was she thinking? She was not like him, he was the impulsive one. Mia, on the other hand used to plan everything before executing them, looking at the matter from all the angles.

"They wouldn't have let me come," she said questioning herself. Was it really the best plan she could come up with that time? Well, she wasn't thinking much. She was running on her gut feelings, following the pull she felt in her blood.

"What about Cam?" He knew she would've tell him. Especially after their break up, he was responsible for her and she relied on him. He couldn't possibly have let her go out of his sight. Could he?

Mia shook her head and closed her eyes, knowing she would see anger in his blue eyes and she didn't want to go through that kind of phase, where they would both argue like crazy, without a conclusion. Then, it hit her. There was someone who knew. "Elijah," she said and Damon turned to the door. Seeing nobody there, he turned his eyes to Mia. "What?" he asked.

"Elijah," she said, "He knows I'm here and...you too. If we don't get to his place by night, he'd know something's up."

Damon sighed, "Elijah, the savior, huh?"

"I hope so," Mia said and drew up her knees encircling them with her arms.

"You'll be fine, angel," Damon said looking at her tired self, "We'll be fine," he added knowing her reply would've been that she wasn't worried about herself and the knowledge brought a smile to his lips. He hadn't lost her completely and that was enough to last him his time here.