‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Loud Silence

There was a long stretch of silence and with every second ticking by it created an air of awkwardness. Both Damon and Mia sat with their backs against the wall, their knees drawn up, arms encircling the legs hugging them to the chest.

Mia played with her fingers, her mind running everywhere and she was positive that if kept here long enough, she'll go crazy and not the tensed, nail biting, wide eyed, silent crazy but tugging the hair and screaming crazy and it wasn't a pretty picture. She even flinched thinking that about herself but took a deep breath, hoping it would help. It always did before but now, it wasn't doing anything.

She was locked in a creepy basement with her ex-boyfriend who told her in clear terms that he didn't love her and she saw him with her sworn nemesis, the one who despised her and she despised her back but she still wanted to climb him and glue him to herself and if that didn't screamed psycho, she didn't know what would. And then there was Katherine, the evil Elena look alike and she had no idea what she wanted from her or what did she meant by hinting Maya to her. It simply was against everything in the world if her so nemesis turned out to be her long lost twin. She would jump in front of the train if that were the truth and then, she didn't want to die so she hoped to hell, it wasn't the case.

Damon closed his eyes as he fisted his hair in his hands. He had opened his mouth several times but before any word tumbled out, he shut it back afraid to say anything. He wanted to tell her the truth he was going to tell but something stopped him every time. He didn't know if there were any whisperers around but he was sure there could be many. It was New Orleans, the place where the fight was taking place. Of course, the Heavens would want to gather information or whatever it was that they did.

His eyes flickered towards Mia and he let out a sigh, it hurt him to see her like that but he was half the cause of her misery or maybe she didn't care about him and was just worried that she was stuck here with the man she hated the most, who dumped her, right after promising her an eternity and then she saw him with freakin' Maya. That was not the very best situation for him and he clamped his mouth again. He had to stay quiet and let her figure things out but his hands itched to reach her and hold her. She was expecting...He, Damon Salvatore, the king of evil vampires and an utter moron was going to be a father. He shook his head, he didn't deserve her. It was all for the better but he couldn't ditch her. She needed him or maybe she was better off without him.

Damon groaned and stomped his feet. Mia's eyes snapped to him and she saw how weak he looked and there was nothing she could do to help him. She was here for him, to help him and there she was, sitting like a damsel in distress. She didn't get her powers, they were rarely useful. She wanted to use them so bad now, to somehow break the chains and escape or annihilate everyone that stood in her way of saving Damon but that was all...thoughts, mere ideas. She couldn't feel any energy in her, no tingling on her skin except of what was the effect of Damon being close...but not close enough.

She couldn't believe so much had changed. He was her best friend when she was new to the town. She remembered talking to him about everything. If they were still friends, they would've been talking and sharing stuff even now instead of sitting aimlessly...awkwardly, doing nothing. She would tell him what was on her mind and he would joke about her thinking a lot and cheer her up and she would feel her worries float away and he would tell her how he wanted to torture everyone that kept them there or how Stefan was going to suffer for not coming to help them and she would laugh and shake her head, telling him to stop being Damon and focus on how to escape when all she would want deep down would be for him to be exactly who he was because that was the man she fell in love with, that was who she still loved despite everything.

Lost in her memories and the world of her own, Mia smiled as she raised her face to the wall in front of her, "You know the day we met," she started, "when you tried to," she paused as the memory collided with her, crystal clear like it happened yesterday, "Well, when you attacked me," she shrugged, her smile growing.

Damon held up his head as he looked at her, "How long are you going to hold that against me?" he asked with a smile of his own. She looked exquisite even that day wearing a deep purple frock and her eyes, big brown eyes made up with smoky black shade. She rocked that sexy look but he also saw the innocent, girl next door look on her and that was what moved him. She was a sinner and saint, devil and angel all at the same time.

"As long as it continues to serve me," Mia smiled again knowing well it was his weak point with her. He wanted her to forget that part of their meeting but she couldn't let go. She saw the real him that day, on their first meeting and she liked what she saw especially after she saw apology floating in his eyes not to mention that he was the first to agree that she visit the place she woke up at, asking her to trust him.

"I was so scared of you," she said deep in thought and Damon looked away, facing the front side, "I-I wanted to hide behind Stefan," she admitted with amusement in her voice and Damon shook his head. He remembered that and he also remembered not liking her hiding behind Stefan. He didn't know why but he wanted her to trust him, trust that he wouldn't hurt her…ever.

"You did," he pointed out rather irritated by it, "But you turned out to be very forgiving," he continued because she forgave him, so easily forgetting what he had done to her just minutes before.

"I saw your eyes," she blurted out and then shut her eyes. She so didn't want to say that. It just made everything more awkward. Damon turned to look at her, his brows creased, his eyes shone with interest and Mia didn't dare to look at him but she knew in her bones that he was waiting for her to continue. She didn't want to say anything. She didn't owe him an explanation and she didn't even had to continue this conversation but it was Damon and she spoke up, "And...there was something about them," she paused, "something in them that," she searched for the right word, "that calmed me," she shrugged, "it was like, like you understood."

"Understood what?" Damon asked softly in a raspy whisper and goose bumps traveled her body. Mia fisted her hands and shook her head, her eyes still closed when Damon prompted her, "What did you see?" he repeated in the same voice as another decibel up and it would break the moment.

Mia sighed as she lowered her head, her mind playing everything on the curtain of her closed eyes, "Same thing I saw in the Grills," she replied in the same whisper and opened her eyes, her head slowly turning towards him. Seeing him concentrating on her words, she tried to explain herself, "I-I don't know," she shrugged, "Maybe, I'm crazy or maybe I'm being..."

"What did you see?" Damon cut her off and Mia snapped her eyes to meet his. Damon held her gaze with an intensity that Mia had to catch her breath, "That you were sorry," she said, "that you regretted doing what you did, that," Mia paused but her eyes remained there. His gaze was electrifying and Mia felt the shock in her bones, traveling up her spine and spread to her skin. Her knees felt weak, her heart was thundering and she was as weak and vulnerable before him as ever, "I don't know, like you wanted to take it back," she completed in a quick whisper.

Damon felt his heart stutter, "You saw that?" he asked breathless, her brown waves of hair surrounded her face that looked stunning even with the dirt and exhaustion marking it. He knew this girl would be the death of him...had been in a way but her eyes were wide, caressing him and her parted lips were wrecking him, turning him inside out. He wanted to touch her so bad like a burnt hand wanting something cool to eliminate the pain.

"It's stupid," she said, not knowing exactly what was. Was it stupid to talk about their past like this or feeling what she was feeling? Was it stupid to think about the things she was thinking? Mia shook her head driving her mind back to where it was safer than the other thoughts invading her mind, "But it gave me...I wanted to trust you..."

"Why don't you?" Damon asked the question quickly as he held her eyes but he saw something change in them and he was sure he didn't like the change. Mia blinked her eyes and took a deep breath as she looked away. Was he seriously asking her that? "I saw you with her, Damon," she said and he heard the hidden pain in her voice, "Every time I think about you," she paused and closed her eyes, "her face pops up and," she took a deep breath while Damon stared at her the same, "I-I know I don't have any right but I need to...I need to know the truth."

"You know the truth," Damon answered as he moved towards her, the sound of the chains rattling, hurting Mia all over, "There was nothing..."
"You were flirting with her," Mia said harshly and Damon flinched at her tone, something he had never done but it was Mia and she had the power to make him feel the best and the worst emotions he was capable of feeling.

"I wanted what you wanted," he said in a defeated tone, his head lowering, his lips pinched in a tight line and Mia snorted, "Kill her. Because that's what I wanted," she replied bitterly, her brows raised asking him to deny her.

"No," he reluctantly added, skeptical, "You wanted to find Katherine," he said as a matter of fact, "So did I and she was the best way to get to her," he shrugged.

Mia sighed. She wanted to believe him, she desperately did but there was something, something else she wanted to know, something that she knew was being hid from her for whatever unknown reason and she had no idea how to approach it. "I wanted to find her because she took away the drink," Mia admitted the truth he already knew. "I know," Damon whispered dejectedly.

"No," Mia countered, "Not because she took the drink and I couldn't stay here anymore but because it was the reason you left," she spoke in a single breath and then took one to compensate for the oxygen. Her words pinched at Damon's heart but there was nothing he could do, nothing he could say to make it better and that was the worst thing of all. "She ruined the only best thing I had," she continued, "the only thing I thought was worth fighting for."

"It is," Damon put in his word, his heart banging inside his chest, "It is worth fighting for," he was urging her with his voice to look at him but Mia restrained for she knew the effect they would have on her, the false hope they would give him so she stayed put, sitting there, her eyes on the wall in front of her. When she didn't relent Damon changed the phrase because he wanted to know what she was thinking and he knew she wouldn't speak for herself but her eyes wouldn't hold back. "We. Are. Worth fighting for," he stressed.

Despite her reservations, Mia turned to him and saw what she was afraid of. There was the same look in his eyes that she saw so long in her bedroom when she woke up after she had fainted in the Mystic Grills. There was the same longing and hunger in them, the same way he was pleading for her to trust him, to care, to see him for something he was. He was impossible for her to hate and that angered her and made her love him more and it was frustrating as hell.

"What were you doing in the woods so late at night, Damon?" she asked and slid her eyes close for once wanting him to be honest. Damon was taken aback with her sudden question. Where did it come from? "What?" he asked straightening up and realized he had during the talk inched closer to her subconsciously so much so that his hand was twisted behind his back, his other hand reaching towards her but he held it right there, not moving forward.

"Stefan," Mia said, "Stefan told me," she explained as she raised her eyes to him and saw betrayal in them. Mia sighed. Leave it to Damon to find reasons to hate his brother, "He said you were in the woods."

Damon raised his eyebrows, "And he knows this...how?"

Mia saw the anger flashing in his blue orbs and somehow that affected her gooey heart more than his tenderness, "He was following you," she said flashing her eyes, "Which means whatever it was that you were doing," she waved her hand, "wasn't approved by him."

"What is he? Damon blared, "A freaking judge who needs to sign a damn warrant for me," he fixed his gaze on Mia, "to do whatever it is that I do?" he raised his brow, his chest rising and falling with a fast, continuous rhythm and Mia felt herself watch the silent movement with rapt attention. Damon caught her gaze and leaned back. As soon as she realized she had been caught, Mia flipped herself away from him and cleared her throat, her head shaking.

Mia took a deep breath, "What were you doing there, Damon?" she asked again, her body facing away from him and Damon found it annoying and amusing at the same time. Why couldn't she just let go? She clearly was still attracted to him but then everything he had done replayed in his mind and he knew exactly the reason she had put reservations on herself.

"I was coming to see you," Damon confided, closing his eyes and he breathed in and opened his eyes to look at her. Mia seemed calm and controlled like she was expecting the answer and Damon had to ask her before she asked, "Why?" she said and Damon shook his head ignoring her question. "You don't sound surprised?" he said asking it as a question, for a reason.

"I'm not," Mia said, "Stefan told me."

"Of course," Damon hissed, "Stefan told you."

"Not the reason," Mia was quick to explain. She knew the bond they shared and Damon was usually the first one to severe it, "Just that you wanted to see me," she shrugged and then looked at him. He was looking at her wide eyes and Mia sighed. She didn't realize it but Damon saw her slowly moving towards him, her knees on the ground. She jerked the chains that held her back and rolled her eyes in frustration as they wouldn't budge. Damon extended his hand and Mia leaned forward. "Why?" she asked, "Why were you coming?" she stared deep into his eyes.

Damon retracted his hand, knowing well he couldn't answer it and Mia saw that in his eye, his inability to answer the question. What she didn't understand was why. Why was it so difficult when he had already made up his mind to tell her? Mia sat on her folded legs, her shoulders hunched, "You know every time I had a bad memory returned and you were always there?" she asked and Damon raised his eyes. "You always supported me, comforted me, held me until I felt safe again," she shrugged, "and most of the times you didn't even how much you helped me with just staying, with just lending me a shoulder to cry on," she scoffed, "And I did cry a lot," she said and Damon chuckled lightly.

"I wanted to do the same for you," she said, "to be the only one who could help you, comfort you, one who could make you feel safe again even though I was pretty sure you wouldn't need a shoulder to cry on," she shrugged and Damon snorted at the last words but the words before them send him into a kind of frenzy only Mia could send him into.

"And I just realized it was selfish and stupid of me," she shook her head, "Just because I didn't want anyone else to share that moment with you, I didn't tell anyone and just ran off without informing anybody," she was clearly embarrassed by her admission but she felt like she needed to tell him. There was a lot of things she was holding back too but mostly they were all embarrassing which is why she decided not to talk anymore. Mia looked away, her cheeks flushing and Damon extended his hand to her.

His fingers touched her hand and Mia gasped. She had gone through it a little time before and knew how dangerous it was but she needed it which was pretty much why she didn't pull back. Maybe, they were going to die anyway so it was alright. She could enjoy her time left. With such honesty coming from her, Damon wanted to tell her the truth. That would make everything so easy for her and him. Generally speaking, everything else but his eyes roamed every square inch of the room and he didn't know who else was there. Damon bit his tongue and closed his eyes, his fingers curling around Mia's and he felt her do the same.

"Maybe, it's stupid," Damon started and then paused as he took a deep breath, "I don't know...it was all Cam," he had to blurt it out otherwise he would've never said the words out loud.

"What?" Mia's heart skipped a beat. "What are you talking about?" she asked.

"I needed...I need you to," Damon closed his eyes, "I need you stay away from Cam," he said again and shrugged when he saw Mia looking at him wide eyed as if he had gone crazy, "I-I just don't trust him," he explained.

Mia opened her mouth but nothing came out. She closed her eyes to collect her thoughts, "You," Mia opened her eyes to look at Damon, "You do know you're talking about Cam, right?" She chuckled putting it off as some weird joke but it was hesitant like she knew what was he talking about and she didn't know how to feel about that.

Damon sighed as he closed his eyes but his hand remained firm cradling hers, "I know, Mia," he whispered, "The same Cam, your friend, your confider," he winced, realizing how much he must meant to her, "the guy who loves you," he said in a harsh whisper, speaking with his jaws clenched but he shrugged showing it to be something casual, as it didn't affect him but he knew the truth inside.

"Damon?" Mia hissed, her brows pinched, lips pursed together. How could he still think that way? She wanted to hit something or maybe he would do. This is exactly what he said when he broke off things with her, that she should've chosen Cam. Mia pulled her hand away but Damon tightened his grip, his head shaking.

"I'm sorry," he added hastily, "Maybe it came out wrong," he said trying to raise his hand up in surrender but the chain bit his skin and he winced. Mia's eyes flickered to his hand and an ache pinched her heart. Why couldn't anything be easier for her? She was going to die of stress or something.

"You think?" Mia spat at him pulling away again but Damon pulled her forward, towards him and she went with a jerk going as far as the chains that held her let her go and she didn't realize how close it was until she felt his breath in her hair. Mia shivered at the proximity as Damon breathed her in. "I know. I'm sorry," he whispered against her head and Mia felt the tingles traveling up her length, "It's just...it's just something he said..."
Mia pulled back slightly. Not a good move, she thought. She shook her head as she stared at the familiar deep blue eyes burning with the same intensity that made her dizzy. Heavens, help me, she thought as Damon's eyes flickered to her lips and fixated on her eyes again. With her breath caught in her throat, Mia blinked her eyes and gathered her wandering thoughts. "What did he say?" she asked.

"Mia," he tried to stall the question, his hand moving to rest on her shoulder as he splayed his fingers against her skin. "Damon," she whispered, "What did he say?" she asked again and he sighed, closing his eyes. Without the magnetic pull of his eyes, Mia relaxed a little but her heart thundered in her chest just the same.

"It's difficult to explain," he said, opening his eyes and Mia looked away. She had some idea about it, she thought. She had asked Cam specifically after her break up if he had anything to do with it, if he said something to Damon but he had denied it, saying it was something just between Damon and her but what if he had lied. What if he had said something to Damon but what? What could he possibly say to Damon to drive him away? It didn't sound like Damon to heed warnings or whatever it was that Cam had said to him. Mia shook her head. Could he possibly lie to her? No, no. It had something to do with Damon himself, she thought.

"I get it," she mumbled and Damon froze, his heart skidding to a stop. She couldn't know. He didn't say anything. Mia nodded to herself, "Now, I get why you broke up with me," she said and Damon looked at her pointedly as he jerked his head asking her to let him in the loop. "It was some notion that you always make up, isn't it?" she said and he looked at her confused. What? He thought she had somehow figured out the truth, "It was some, I don't know," she shrugged, "Jealousy or insecurity..."

"What?" Damon made a face as he stopped tracing her collarbone with his finger.

"Because it's what you do," She argued in a whisper, "You think you don't deserve something so, you push it away," she shrugged, "and you saw Cam being a nice friend to me and you just flipped on that..."

"I didn't flip, Mia," he raised his voice, "And it's not because I don't deserve something good in my life..."

"Then what?" she cut him off raising her own voice to match his level.

Damon opened his mouth, his eyes wavering. "What, Damon?" Mia repeated, her brows raised as she tried to pull away again but Damon forced her down with his hands to keep her there as he leveled by lowering himself to look straight into her eyes.

"It's not me, ok?" He said through his clenched teeth, "It's you..."

"Well, that's new..."

"Because you don't deserve this," he pointed to himself and the thin space between them, "You're special and this can't be it. I-I can't be 'it' for you."

"I don't even know what that means?" Mia shook her head, her eyes staring deep into his, she felt his hands on her and it was becoming difficult to keep her focus and the words that tumbled from his mouth hurt in a different way. She understood though, what he was trying to say.

"Cam...he's a good person. He's an angel like yourself. He loves you and you love..." Damon said almost defeated. With his thumb circling the base of her throat and her feeling everything she was feeling, Mia moved forward suddenly as her hand pulled the front of his shirt to tug him towards her. Keeping her hand on his chest, Mia tilted her head to connect her lips to him. Damon was taken aback with her ferocity but he lost himself in the feel of her, his thumb resting under her chin, his fingers on her face.

Mia moaned as she deepened the kiss. It wasn't just the way he was touching her before or looking at her but when he started enumerating the reasons Cam was better for her, she just had to shut him up and that was the only thing she could think of. Also, because she wanted to do that ever since she got there. "Mia," Damon whispered as she pulled back and rested her forehead with his, "I..."

"I don't love him, Damon," she cut him off. To her this was important, "not in that way. I never did," she said and Damon shook his head countering her statement. "You did," he said as a matter of fact because he knew, "you did, once."

"And that once upon a time has gone for a long time now," she argued back in a soft tone. Damon closed his eyes, thinking about the good moment that just flied by. He wanted that again but he shook his head. "Besides," Mia shrugged, "it wasn't even real. You know that," she raised her brows as Damon stared at her neck, his fingers idly drawing circles on her skin, "He fed me those memories so that I would remember him."

"So that you would remember him and remember loving him so that you'd chose him..."

"But I didn't," she flashed her brows and Damon shook his head. Mia put her hand on his face and forced him to look at her, "I didn't chose him and I don't love him and I never will. What we have, is totally platonic."

"Platonic?" Damon scoffed, "He loves you."

"But I love you," she countered and Damon became a statue again. Oh please, dear God, not now, he thought but Mia continued, "and you don't love me just like I don't love him," she sighed. Damon's eyes fluttered for a moment after listening to her words but then he turned his gaze upon her, her soft skin, her perfect wavy hair that matched with her eyes and those luscious lips that he could kiss nonstop.

He wanted to deny her, to tell her that she thought wrong, that he had never loved anyone as much as he loved her and nobody had ever made him feel that way or be what he had become by being with her but the words fell short and he decided against speaking. Mia's breaths came in short as she took in his eyes, the same powerful blue eyes seemed unsure, fighting a battle within themselves and she leaned forward for she wanted to know what was bothering him now.

Her scent hit him as she moved forward and he knew the decision was made already as their lips met. The touch was soft, slightly uncertain, and gentle. Mia slid her eyes close at the contact, a shock rocking her entire being. Yes, she wanted this. She'd been wanting this for so long. Mia protested as she tried to keep him there but he pulled away an inch to take in her eyes, her chocolate brown eyes glistening, her cheeks flushed under his touch.

Grazing his fingers up to the nape of her neck, his eyes flickered to her lips and before she could act on it, he seized her lips once again only this time, the kiss was powerful, more passionate sending heat from her heart to slowly spread through her body, setting lose the butterflies in her stomach and taking her breath away, all at the same time.

The chains bit into her wrists bruising her as she tried to extend her hand to him. She wanted to touch him, to fist his hair in her hands, to run them through his messy hair. Mia jerked the chain, the sound of it rattling echoing in the vacant basement. "Mia," Damon whispered, withdrawing from her, "You'll hurt," he said and she stopped her struggles letting the heat pass between them. His eyes were wild, his lips parted and his breathing hard and rough. God, she loved every version of him but this...this was far and beyond perfect.

There was a velvety silence enveloping them as they stared at each other. Mia stayed still but his smirk was doing all the wrong things to her body and mind and she tried to break the chains again, "Erotic, isn't it?" He smirked referring to the chains that bound her and Mia's breath caught in her throat. Her eyes danced with mischief and Damon wasn't surprised when she threw herself at him again...as much as she could with the chains binding her, keeping her away from him.

Without even giving it a thought, Mia flung herself to him, her hand burning against his cheek. Damon didn't fight her or what he wanted, he let his instincts take over as he pushed his hand up and tangled it in her hair, the silkiness of it under his rough palm was contrasting, yet it felt wonderful. They kissed passionately, devoured on the other hungrily like there was no tomorrow, as the world would end if they were to stop.

There was a burning smell invading the air and a loud thud they heard but it wasn't important. They couldn't care about anything but themselves at the moment for they were all alone in their world with not a single thing to worry. Mia encircled her arms around his neck as he leaned back, moving towards the wall. He straightened as his back touched the wall and Mia straddled him, gliding her hands from his chest into his hair.

She stiffened when his both hands fell to her waist but then they were the lifting her shirt up and she couldn't think why she was so surprised feeling his both hands when one was so securely chained. He splayed his fingers against her skin and she shivered, his lips trailing to her neck, giving her room to breathe. Mia's breath quickened as she pressed her palm on his face and lowered her face to his as she kissed him again, pressing herself closer to him.

Damon snapped open his eyes as he heard the fumbling of the lock on the door, his senses on high alert. Mia pulled back, "Damon?" she questioned him in confusion, looking at him with her exotic, wild eyes. The door creaked open and Mia's already frantic heart galloped in her chest as she turned around to look at the door.

Damon groaned as he felt his energy seeping into hers, going slack against the wall and Mia gasped when she realized what she had done. "No, Damon," she shook her head, her eyes tearing up at the sight.

In her moment of fear and panic she had taken his energy. She quickly stood up and looked towards the place where she was chained up at. "Oh," she muttered as she looked at her wrists which were already healed of any injury she had gotten, the broken chains lying there in heap and Damon, her Damon was still tied up with no fight in him whatsoever.

A brilliant new emotion surged within her as she felt her power beckoning to her. She didn't know what caused the chain to break or how she managed to escape it but somehow she had done it. She still didn't understand why her powers were never in her control to use and came and went as they pleased but with fresh energy from Damon, she felt herself renewed.

Taking a deep breath, Mia turned to see the intrusion and let out a sigh of relief.

"You both have surely managed to keep each other entertained," Elijah commented with a smile and Mia averted her eyes to the ground as she chuckled. Finally, the rescue she was hoping for was here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Between - Courrier
So, I had a lot of fun writing this chapter. Hope you had just as much fun reading it. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for being with this story. <3