‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Truth In Masquerade

"I can't," Mia whispered, "I'll burn down the house," she said leaning against the door as she looked at the locked knob glaring at it as if it would open under her hard eyes. She knew they were never under her control but she thought she might give it a try. First, she tried to gather her energy hoping to blast open the door but air and lock didn't compliment much in her mind and she decided to use heat. She had no idea the kind of powers she possessed but she remembered Thierry. She had choked him to death and then with her chains in the basement. She had melted them off her hands. She didn't know the 'how' part to both these incidents but she knew what she was capable of.

"Just concentrate on the lock," Elena said tugging her hair behind her ear, "The lock inside, Mia. Focus there and it'll be fine," she was trying the encouragement thing, hoping it would work.

Mia closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She had no idea about the lock but she was sure after a while, the house would be on fire. Opening her eyes, Mia stared at the door knob and licked her lips. Straightening up, Mia curled her fingers around the knob and felt the energy sparkle to life.

It was different. The whole thing seemed different. This time, she felt the control, the amount of power was little and she was sure she held it right. Unlike the immense tingling, it was just small buildup on her skin. Mia let herself imagine what she wanted to do and it was less than a second when the foul, burning smell invaded her nose. Mia coughed as she leaned away from the door and Elena gave her a triumphant smile, showing her a thumbs up as she pushed the door open.

"I did it," Mia said in a small voice not knowing how she actually achieved it. She hadn't practiced or anything. She was still the incompetent one regarding her powers but somehow she managed to control them without letting them get out of control and burn down the world. She felt good about it and herself for some reason but the feeling evaporated as soon as her eyes fell on the one thing that could kill her mood.

"God, seeing your face just ruined my day," Maya remarked as soon as her eyes fell on Mia. She stood up taking support from the wall and cleaned her hands on her dress as she adjusted her hair, "Well, at least you're here to save me," she said with a cocky smile as she made her way towards the door. Mia flipped her hand towards the door as it shut with a loud thud and she turned her gaze to Maya.

"Yeah, you're not going anywhere," Mia said as she took a step closer towards Maya, Elena standing beside her.

"We need to talk," Elena said and Maya raised her eyebrows at her.

When both Mia and Elena said quiet, Maya sighed in exasperation, "I don't have spare energy to waste on you both," she said and jerked her head to throw back the hair that fell into her eye.

"It's about Katherine," Mia said putting her hand in front of Maya as a barrier to stop her from leaving the room. She didn't come back to New Orleans and broke into Elijah's house to release Maya and give her a great escape plan. She was here for answers and answers she will get.

Maya crossed her arms on her chest and started at Mia, her eyes showing all the annoyance she felt, "Really?" Maya questioned raising her brow at Mia, "Again?" she asked.

"I," Mia started but was unsure to continue. What was she supposed to ask? Seeing her hesitation, Elena took charge as she took a small step towards her, "We want to know about your family," she said as her eyes flickered to Mia who was staring ahead with her wide eyes.

Maya kept her eyes on Mia as she listened to Elena, "You mean to say the one she took away from me," She pointed at Mia who gave a big nod and threw up her hands.

"See?" Mia said, her voice rising, "That's it," she said, "That's what I don't understand. You took my family away from me...took my place with Katherine's help. I don't know what you're blaming me for," Mia finished and Maya was looking at her weird as if she had grown two heads.

"You did the same to me," Maya said finally in a small and slow tone that Elena wouldn't have heard the exchange of words if she wasn't a vampire.

"I don't understand," Mia said again, "What did I do? I don't know," she said, her voice having a pleading like quality to it and Maya shook her head.

"Oh, you didn't do anything," Maya said with a smile, "your mother did," she told her and Mia was taken aback. What the hell? She thought as she tilted her head and narrowed her eyes at Maya, her brows pinched together.

"Are-Are you talking about my mother?" Mia raised her eyebrows, her head remained tilted as Maya sighed.

"Yes, the evil bitch who took away my mother from me," Maya said as she stepped forward, backing Mia away with her every step towards her, "the one who killed her because she couldn't lose the one she so dearly loved to my mother," Maya hissed the words, the hatred evident in them.

Mia was shocked to her core. Never in a million years could she’ve thought about such a vile thing about her mother. That sounded like something Maya would do...not her mother. She didn't know her mother but she had seen her in the dreams and vision and she hadn't ever laid eyes upon the beauty and innocence her mother radiated. She gave herself an affirming nod. It couldn't be her mother, she was sure. Enrique slipped into her thoughts, how Maya had killed her for him because he loved Mia and not Maya. She was beyond confused.

"Truth sucks, doesn't it?" Maya taunted her, her smile held malice in it and Mia snapped her eyes to her.

"You're lying," Mia pointed her finger at her, "My mother is not like that," Mia almost shouted the words at her but Maya remained put, her eyes glowing with everything she was feeling.

"Of course, you would try to protect the credibility for your mother," Maya hissed, her anger reaching another new level. She knew the real story, not Mia. How could she? She wasn't the one wronged, the one who lost everything, the one who was abandoned. She was cared for her entire life...that was until Maya came in waltzing in her life and ruined her pretty little life and made the life of her parents a living hell.

"I don't understand," Mia said in a small voice, her thoughts racing, her heart was scarred by hearing the bitter words but there was nothing she could say in return, no counter argument she could present.

"Oh, you see my parents were happy until your mother came in the picture and seduced my father," Maya snorted, "As weak as he was, he fell for her fake charms that sick bastard," she hissed and Mia could see the hatred she felt towards her father, "But then," she paused, "he found about me," she smiled and pointed at herself, "he said sayonara to your poor old mother," she straightened up, "only she wasn't poor, she was pure evil."

"No! No!" Mia snapped as she lunged for Maya who jumped back with a scream. Elena rushed in and held Mia by her waist as she whispered sweet nothings in her ear but Mia couldn't care.

Her blood was boiling, her heart thundering and all she could see was the perfect picture of her parents in her dream. They were happy, they loved each other and they loved her. Maya said nothing but lies. Why? She didn't know and couldn't care. She just wanted to cut off her tongue that spoke such rubbish, "You're lying, you liar. I know you are," Mia shouted at her as Maya stood with her wide eyes, her hand at her heart as she stared at the lunatic vision Mia presented.

Seeing her already going crazy, Maya smiled to herself as she took a step forward, "She killed my Mom," Maya screamed, "Snatched my father away from me as he babied you and that wicked woman."

"Stop!" Mia's voice rang loud and clear bouncing off the wall. "Shut up!" Elena hissed to Maya as she held Mia again and turned her away, her eyes roaming around the room. Elena questioned herself if it was the best decision they had made. Mia was prone to lose control and right now, the way she was, God knew what could she do? She thought of calling Damon, maybe he could handle this version of her but she had no idea of his whereabouts.

"She's lying, Elena," Mia said leaning against Elena who gave her a nod, "She's lying."

"I know," Elena assured her, "I know that, Mia. You need to calm down," Elena said and saw the light flicker in the room, going from bright to dim and then bright again. "We'll just leave, Mia. Calm down," she said.

"Katherine took me in," Maya said in a calm voice, her eyes fixed on the window in front of her, "Cared for me like her own," she smiled, "I remember calling her Mom once and she asked me to not call her that," her eyes made their way to Mia, "She didn't want to taint my Mom's memory. She said, she couldn't be half a woman she was."

Elena glared daggers at Maya but she was oblivious to them now, lost her in her own thoughts, her own memories until the window she was staring out from broke with a loud cracking sound, the pieces of glass flying in all directions as Maya ducked to save herself and Elena tugged Mia, "Come on," she said, "We need to leave. We know enough," she said.

"Katherine promised me that she would avenge my mom for me, that she would see to it that, that woman and my pathetic, weak father would lost what was dear to them," Maya was on her knees on the floor, her hands supporting her as she raised her eyes to meet Mia's frenzy browns, "You," she finished.

Elena tugged Mia again but she didn't budge, her eyes staring straight to Maya, "What wrong did I do?" Mia asked, her voice was eerily calm now and Elena's heart skipped a beat. Her calm voice seemed more dangerous than her shouting and screaming, "You didn't think that you'd be turning me into a version of yourself?"

Maya shrugged, "You made quite a fair share of your deeds," Maya said as she stood up, "Like I said, like mother, like daughter."

"You really need to choose your words carefully, Maya," Mia said, "You're pissing me off and hear it, I will kill you," she warned her. She took a deep breath again calming her racing nerves. She couldn't lose control here. She wouldn't prove to Maya that she was evil, she wouldn't let her win. She wouldn't let herself be controlled by her manipulating words.

"Even your friends are like you," Maya pointed to Elena with her eyes, "Playing with both the Salvatores. Selfish and self-centered," she said and the words hit Elena like freight train, her head spun. How could she? She was just confused with them both being as great people as they were but she didn't string them along. She had told Damon from the start that her heart belonged to Stefan. Yes, she got off track but she knew it would always be Stefan and it was always Damon that kept trying, kept hoping even after she told him not to waste his time on her.

"How am I like my mother?" Mia asked as she put her hand on Elena's shoulder and squeezed it asking her subtly to let it go, the words that Maya uttered.

"You snatched Enrique," Maya accused her with narrowed eyes. Mia's head jerked back. What? She didn't snatch him. He loved her first and it wasn't even love. He just implanted those memories into her mind so that she would chose him and break the curse that bound him to Earth, for he wanted to be in the Heavens as an angel he was.

"No, I didn't....snatch him," Mia replied.

"And then you dumped him for Damon," Maya said raising her brows, daring her to deny her selfishness.

"I lost my memories," Mia said as she stepped closer to her, "You killed me, remember?"

Maya tilted her head and put her hand on her hip, "That just justifies everything for you, doesn't it?" she asked, looking at Mia with pity and yet there was a flashing madness, "You lost your memories, came back a changed person and everyone should just forgive you and move on," Maya said as she crossed her arms.

Mia opened her mouth to say something but then closed it as she saw Maya scoffed at her, "You didn't had anything with Enrique anyway," Mia told her like a child who didn't have a reply and repeated the words of the offender, "It was Cam who gave you those memories before he found that you were an imposter," Mia clarified what had actually happened. She was shocked when she heard the truth from Cam and couldn't quite believe him.

Maya felt the hot anger flowing through her. How many lies a person could tell herself to just free themselves of the burden of guilt they had? How many lies had she told herself? Maya thought. "Fed those memories?" Maya asked, "Really? I made them with him," she said sure of herself.

"It wasn't real," Mia said trying to convince her but she knew already it was impossible, "You think it was but they were illusions," Mia reasoned with her, "They were for me too," she added in a small, sad voice.

She remembered how she hated him for that? She didn't even talked to him after he finally told her the truth and how he promised he wouldn't lie to her again and here she was again. He had lied to her again, asking Damon to break up with her. What was he even thinking? Why would he want that? It didn't make any sense unless what Damon said was right, unless Maya's implications were right nut they couldn't be. He didn't love her, not at all and even if he did, he wouldn’t say something like that or do something like that. What kind of love would it be?

As the moments ticked by, Mia felt hard to believe Cam and all his words. They all seemed like a big ploy to something. "He gave me those memories so that I would chose him," she whispered with her eyes close.

"But you chose Damon," Maya almost hissed at her. She couldn't sort this girl out. She looked so innocent though they shared the same face, it irritated the hell out of Maya. She was so good at hiding her bad side making it as if Maya was the worst kind of person alive. She had managed to justify everything about her, gaining the sympathy of all her friends which she had in abundance while she was here alone fighting her look alike with no one at her side except maybe, Katherine but of course she wasn't here. She wasn't sure of what to expect from Katherine either.

"I love him," Mia replied as she felt a pinch in her heart. She could still say the words so easily, like they were meant to be on her tongue, as if they belonged to her. Mia sighed thinking about it. She had so many puzzles in her life and she felt herself lacking. She hadn't even solved a single one and that was pretty pathetic.

"Just like your mother loved my father?" Maya said as she crossed her arms and cocked her brow at Mia. Elena was getting impatient as she tapped her foot on the ground but she was her for Mia and as long as she was fine, she would endure it, the futile babble of Maya.

"He was my father too," Mia stepped forward, her head shaking.

"He wasn't anybody's father," Maya replied, "He doesn't deserve to be one," she scrunched up her nose in disgust referring to his fickle and weak nature, so weak that he could be so easily manipulated by a woman.

Seeing the venom dripping out of Maya's mouth, her words coated in it, Elena stepped up, "So that's how you both are related. You have the same father," she remarked, "That's what Katherine meant by blood being thicker."

"Wow, genius. Didn't you figure everything out?" Maya remarked with a coy smile and Mia shook her head.

"I don't believe a single word that Katherine says," Mia said, "She's a liar and a manipulator," Mia hissed as she looked at Elena and Maya scoffed at her statement, "I might not know her very well, Elena but the mother I see in my dreams..." Mia gulped, "She wouldn't do that, Elena. She wasn't a murderer."

Elena smiled and gave her a nod, "I know," she said as she went to Mia and gave her a hug. Mia rested her head on Elena's shoulder biting her lip from crying. Elena tightened her grip on Mia feeling a sad wave flow through her which was replaced by a cold shock as she stared at Maya who went to sit on an old wooden chair, her fingers playing with a necklace she wore and Elena felt the world spinning.

"What's that?" Elena asked, her eyes fixed on the necklace as she released Mia and moved forward. Mia turned to face them both, her eyes following the line of vision of Elena.

Maya shrugged thinking not much of it, "Katherine gifted it to me," she said and Mia was annoyed by the small smile that graced Maya's lips at the mention of her name. Maya raised her eyes to Elena's wide ones. "Why? What is it to you?" she asked.

Elena walked as if in trance as she came to stand in front of Maya as she touched the necklace and Maya jerked away from her. "What the hell?" Maya asked and Mia stepped forward, her voice hesitant, "Elena?" she called for her.

Elena was transfixed looking at the necklace, the color, the pattern, everything was same. "It's a vervain necklace," she said and looked at Mia, "I had one just like this," she said.

"You did?" Maya asked, "How? Where did you get it?"

Elena turned to look at Maya as Mia came to stand beside her, "Stefan gave it to me," Elena said and shrugged, "To protect me from vampire's compulsion when I was a human," she told them.

Maya smiled at them, "Mine's the same," she said, "just the..." Mia saw her lower lop trembled, her face drawn tight and for the first time, Mia saw her as a human, as a girl who felt things, "just the addition of my Mom's picture," she said and drew in a shaky breath, something that clicked inside Mia and she realized that Maya actually was wronged in some way, not in the way she had said but some other way and that made her see her in a new light.

"Can I see her?" Elena asked unsure, not knowing how she would react. She wasn't sure of herself either, of how she will react.

Maya accessed Elena for a moment too long, her eyes lingering on her as she fought some battle within her and Mia stared at her fighting her own judgment about her but she couldn't shake off the negative vibe she always got from her. Maya blinked and sighed as she held her open palm with her necklace and extended it to Elena.

"Thanks," Elena mumbled knowing it was some sort of big deal to Maya to hand her necklace to her. Her eyes met Mia's for a second who gave her a nod and she opened the locket to see the face of the Maya's mother.

Elena gasped as she staggered back, her eyes were wide with shock as the realization dawned upon her. She could hear her heart pound in her ears, feel the pulse beating in her veins, her breaths came in short as she let out a heavy breath and raised her eyes to meet Maya's.

"What is it?" Maya asked, "What do you know?"

"Elena!" Mia came to hold her as she swayed unaware of her surroundings, her eyes on Maya who kept screaming at her and Mia kept asking Maya to shut up but she was stuck there in an alternate kind of universe where everything was crumbling, falling and she couldn't move knowing well the objects would fall on her head and injure her brutally.

"What do you know about her?" Maya asked again and Mia punched her straight in the face.

"Leave her alone," Mia hissed as she saw Elena falter in her step without her support.

Elena felt the blackness in front of her eyes as she calculated everything but nothing made sense. She didn't know it could be possible. Her life was full of shocking moments ever since her parents died as if she was cursed to some kind of cruel life revelations after their death. She heard Mia calling her name in distress and she could hear Maya's curses and her questions which made no sense to her whatsoever.

Stefan. She needed Stefan right now. Like always, only he could take away the darkness she felt herself falling in but he wasn't here and she was slipping. "Follow my voice, Elena. Don't let go," Mia was saying but for some reason, she wanted to fall in that blackness without Stefan there to help her through it and she needed that help. Elena closed her eyes as she fell into oblivion and Maya sighed.

"Couldn't she faint after telling me what caused the shock?" Maya asked and Mia glared at her.

"I need the answers just as much as you want but your stupid babbling isn't helping her," Mia said.

"And your 'Elena, follow my voice' shit is? Who says that kind of stuff anyway?" she scoffed and Mia shook her head.

She took a deep breath and pointed at Maya to help her put Elena to the mattress nearby. Yes, she needed the answers and Elena somehow knew them but she had to wait to get them yet the feeling that she was close put her mind into some kind of peace where there was a torrid of emotions swirling inside her but she kept repeating the words. She'll get the answers, she's looking for. She'll get the answers, she's looking for.
♠ ♠ ♠
Things I Don't Understand - Coldplay