‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Dissecting The Truth

It was late at night as Mia paced around the hallway, her hands clasped, her fingers twisting and turning and there was no way she could control all the nerves that had attacked her insides. She hadn’t realized how late it was until Annalisa nodded off sitting on the couch while Mia and her parents both kept talking animatedly. After feeling about keeping them up like that, Mia showed them to their rooms and retired to her own bed but that was the thing. Most of the time she stayed here, it was with Damon and she couldn’t go there now but she didn’t want to stay the night in the creepy corner room either.

She tried to reason herself, think of some way to talk herself out of it. It was a bad idea but she had to talk to him especially after that small talk between her mother and Damon. She had to know where he stood, where she stood. She had to know why they were dancing around each other, waiting for someone to explode.

Taking a deep breath, Mia pushed open his door and went charging in but all her determination flatted like a balloon as Damon exited the bathroom, a towel around his waist as he ruffled his wet hair and shook his head. He froze as his eyes met with Mia's and they both stared at each other. There was a tangible force in the room but they both restrained as Mia picked the shirt and pants that was on his closet and tossed it at him.

"Dress up," she said annoyed, mostly at herself when her voice came out all breathy.

"Afraid you'll jump me again?" he smirked as he caught the clothes and ran his hand through his hair and Mia's eyes followed the movement with burning intensity.

"Get over yourself," Mia retorted as she turned around silently offering him space to put clothes on while she calmed herself down. Was it her or the temperature of the room just got higher, more hotter?

"I don't mind, you know," Damon shrugged, "There's nothing you haven't seen before," he said referring to her closing her eyes and turning away from him. Mia felt him smirking even though she couldn't see him. It was just a Damon thing to do.

"Shut up and put some clothes on, Damon," Mia's irate was evident in her tone of voice.

"I see," he said quietly and Mia whirled around, her face blushing with annoyance. What was his deal? Hot and cold treatment, really?

"What?" she put her hands on her hip and jut out her chin, her brows raised.

Damon shrugged as he picked up the shirt, "You just can't trust yourself around me," he smirked, "I mean, I know," he said, "I'm irresistible like that," he winked at her but Mia was striding towards him with determination and Damon couldn't comprehend anything as she put her hands on his bare chest and aligned their bodies, her lips brushing his cheek.

Damon was taken by surprise but he loved when she got like this. Having her this close after so long felt like a gift, a soothing balm to his wounded and torn self. Her breath was fanning his skin. She was touching him but at the same time, she wasn't and it was frustrating as hell. Damon dropped the shirt on the floor as he moved his arms to encircle her, entrap her so bad, she couldn't leave even if she wanted to.

Mia's heart rate kicked up a notch but she wasn't finished with him yet. Her hands roamed his body, her lips moving towards his neck as she reached his ear lobe. Damon tilted his head, moving towards to kiss her but Mia pulled away from, firmly pushing him with her hands on his chest but Damon wasn't having it as he closed the distance between them. He had to kiss her so bad, he wasn't sure if he could live without it.

"Mia," he whispered holding her close, kissing her neck, the soft, creamy skin as he moved up to her mouth again but Mia turned her face away. "Mia," he said her name in a pleading voice and Mia felt the shock travelling through her.

"Hmm," she replied as a moan.

"Let me," he said, taking in the much needed air as he kissed the corner of her mouth, "Let me kiss you," he said and she heard the desperation in his voice.

Mia grabbed his head and rose to her toes as she quickly went to his ear again and whispered, "I know you can't stop yourself," she said coyly as she pushed him away again, "I mean, I know," she said, "I'm irresistible like that," she repeated his own words to him.

Damon was breathing hard even though they hadn't even as much as kissed. She was just torturing him, trying to make a point like he needed to know, it was ingrained in his brain. "Mia," he started again as he shook his head but she raised her finger silencing him.

"Don't," she said in a stern voice.

"What?" he was confused by the sudden coldness in her voice.

"Don't say anything," she said, "You'll just ruin it," she said. Granted she came in here to talk to him, to ask about his damn attitude but now she wasn't sure she could talk. She just wanted to leave with the memory of her making a point that he was just as affected by her and tried to play God knows what game with her.

"Ruin it?" Damon questioned her and saw the melted chocolate turn hard and he realized his mistake. He blinked as he decided to just play it off. He could see she wasn't in the mood for a serious conversation. "If you haven't noticed," he raised his brows, "I'm a very loquacious person."

Mia crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows, "Ahan!" her tone was enough to convey all that she needed to say.

"Have you never heard me talk?" Damon argued as he picked the shirt from the floor and put it on.

"I'm hearing you now," she argued back, "And you haven't said one useful thing," she let herself a smile but raised her eye brows, daring him to deny it, her arms crossed at her chest.

Damon felt his heart contract as he looked at her and he closed his eyes. He had promised he would tell her everything. He wanted to finish the game they were playing. He needed her too much and with the way that things were, he was sure that she needed him just as much and he wanted to be there for her.

"You're right," he gave way, "What do you need, Mia?"

Gone was the playful, sexy Damon that she loved and standing at his place was the Damon that she didn't like very much. The serious one, the one who lied to her, the one who pushed her away but Mia knew why she had come at the first place and she decided to throw her earlier decision of walking away. "We need to talk," she said.

"I know," he replied and Mia blinked twice. Oh, really? He wanted to talk? He usually ran away from the talking part.

"Then talk," she said waving her hand towards him.

"What do you want to talk about?" he asked like the idiot he was but he wasn't really sure what to say. Where to start? How to proceed?

"Why don't you start with stating the real reason you left?" she asked.

Damon thought about it. Yeah, of course. That would be her first question. He thought about the answer but that would require a lot of explaining, "Can we get to that one later?" he asked and Mia riled up. What the hell? She knew he wouldn't want to talk. He never did.

She snorted, "I knew you wouldn't tell," She said, "Do you have any idea how confusing you are, Damon? How confused I am because of you?"

"I'm confusing?" Damon cut her off, "You're the one who barged into my room and seduced me just to make a point," he pointed the accusing finger at her.

"Oh, please," she mocked him, "You damn well knew that I was making a point. Can I assume the same?" She raised her voice, "Was it some kind of twisted point that you were making? I don't get you, Damon. At all," she threw her hands in exasperation, "First you go on about how you love me, then you leave me. You tell me I should be with Cam but every time you see me with him, you go berserk and punch the hell out of him. Then you kiss me in the basement but say that you don't feel the same way. Oh, and not to mention that I recently found out that you were staying away from me because Cam asked you to and when I tried to talk, you ran away like you didn't care and then you looked for my parents and brought them here because you wanted 'me' to have my family back," Mia's tirade went on, "What am I to make of this, Damon? I don't even know what to think?"

Her thoughts shifted from Damon to everything that she had learnt from Maya and then her parents confirmed the story. Though she was happy that her mother wasn't a murderer, she couldn't deny the disappointment she felt in her father but finally having them after so long, she couldn't get angry at him or ignore and be upset with him. Now that she had them back, she wasn't going to lose them again. Everyone was entitled to mistakes, right? Even though some mistakes just lasted longer and went beyond the point of torture but they were mistakes and people learnt from it and they all deserved second chance...or didn't they?

Hurt, guilt, regret didn't even begin to cover what he was feeling at the moment. Every word that came out of her mouth was a slash to his heart, wounding the already injured, crushing the already broken but he knew he deserved each and every blow and he knew there were more to come. "Mia," he started but he wasn't sure what he was going to say, not that Mia gave him a chance.

"I don't know, Damon. Ok? I don't know what the hell is your reason to keep me away," she started again, her hands moving everywhere as she let out her frustrations through her words, "but it's sure as hell not because you don't care," she felt light with every word as if she was finally letting him go, finally moving on, "So, you don't want to talk, don't talk. You want me away, keep it that way but don't come waltzing in and out of life...doing things like that," she waved the air in front of her, "like...flirting with me or kissing me...or bringing my family back for me," her voice broke and her shoulders fell, "Because it hurt ok? It hurt all over again."

"I'm sorry," were the first words that tumbled out of his mouth. He knew how she felt because he went through all of that with her. It wasn't as if he dumped her and moved on, enjoyed his life and stuff. He suffered just like she was suffering because he loved her just like she loved him. She was a part of him, flowing in his veins, spreading in his bloodstream and he damn well knew how much a part of him she had and he was trying his best to hide that part.

"Good," Mia said as she sniffled and turned away to leave. She had no idea how much she wanted to do this, to say those words, to finally feel a little lighter, a little easier to breathe and she could feel now that she could move on, be herself, do what was expected of her but at the same time, there was this hollowness, a gap that was burning in her, shouting to be filled.

"Not for just the waltzing part," Damon's voice stopped her as she slowly turned around to face him. He had promised he was going to tell her the truth and like a coward he was, he had backed out a lot of times but it was enough. She had enough and he had to tell her the truth, "but for all the things that I'm doing...and not doing."

"See," Mia threw her hands in the air, "That's what I'm talking about," she pointed out, "You confuse me, Damon. It's not fair," her voice lowered at the last sentence but the impact was just as louder as before. "What do you want?"

Damon sighed, "At the expense of getting punched," he said with a shrug, "You. Always you."

As much as Mia wanted to start hoping and dreaming at his words, she resisted and closed her eyes. She had to break the contact with those blue eyes that worked like a magnet. When she opened her eyes, they were clear, controlled. Even though he said that he wanted her, she knew there was a but coming. There was always a but. I need it but can't afford it. I love you but can't be with you. I'm fine but I need to be left alone. I'm a friend but can't help. But's. They were ruining the relationships all over the world. "What's stopping you?" Mia asked.

The answer according to Damon was simple and easy, "You," he said. Mia sighed and suddenly her face fell as if she was a traveler that had been on a long journey and was so tired now that giving up felt like the best option.

"There you go again," she said, "What's the use of these answers, Damon when I can't understand a single thing," Mia shook her head in dismay as she started to leave again. It was for the best, she thought. She just had to let go. Damon was quick to get to her as he grabbed her by her arms and turned her so that she faced him with just inches between them.

Damon's eyes flickered towards the amulet that lay on the top of the table, the one that Fiorella had given him for just this sole purpose. He took a deep breath as his hand cupped her cheek. Mia suppressed her shudder as she looked at him, his blue eyes shining with purpose and she felt her pulse quicken, "I love you, Mia," he said, "I do love you and I left because I thought I was doing you a favor..." he was saying when Mia cut him off.

"Was it the same, old reason?" she asked.

"And what was that?" he let himself smile a little at the uncertainty in her voice.

"That you thought you didn't deserve me?" she asked knowing every time they had fought before was because of Damon acting out, destroying anything worthwhile thinking he didn't deserve it.

"If you keep talking," he said, "You wouldn't let me finish," he raised his brows at her and she gave him a nod, her eyes flickering to his lips and Damon groaned, "Stop that too," he pleaded and Mia quickly nodded as she muttered an apology.

"And to answer your question, no. That wasn't the reason," he said, "And Cam," he sighed, "I just asked you to go to him because that was the only thing that could make you mad enough to leave and I went berserk because I hate him, his guts, the way he feels about you and I punched the hell out of him because he promised me he'll keep you safe and yet, you ended up in New Orleans and then in that freakin' forest."

Mia opened her mouth to say something but Damon silenced her with a look and she clamped her mouth shut, "As for the kiss," he said, "I kissed you because you're right," Mia raised her eyebrows, "Because you're irresistible and I can't stop myself," he said it as his lips skimmed her soft skin before he pulled back, "And I felt a lot more than I would in normal circumstances but I had to let you go."

"Why was it so important?" She asked, "to push me away?" That was the most difficult question and Damon didn't knew what to expect when he answered that one. What it meant for the both of them? And how was he supposed to tell her anyway? He took her hand and led her to the bed as he sat her down. "What did Cam say to you? I just can't...I don't know what could be so different that he made you run away. You're not the kind that runs away," Mia said.

Damon took his head in his hands and eyed the amulet once again hoping it works and there were no freakin' whisperers present in the room hearing them talk like that. He held her hand and raised it to his lips as he pressed a sensual kiss on her knuckles and Mia brought her other hand to cover his. "You know you don't have to pretend with me, Damon. You can tell me anything."

Damon offered her a grateful smile and she returned it feeling her heart starting to flutter again. Maybe, maybe, things could go back to normal. "You remember when we went to New Orleans and you saw Hayley?" He asked and Mia gave him a nod after a moment. "You remember what you said about Hayley?" he asked and Mia looked at him. What did he want to hear? She thought because she couldn't understand.

"About what?" she finally asked and Damon took a deep breath.

"Her colors," he stated, "The way they were merged with Klaus' and you knew that right off that she was expecting?"

"Yes," Mia dragged the word because she still had no idea where he was going with this whole thing. What did it have to do with them?

"Cam saw the same blend of colors," Damon said, "On...you."

Mia was confused but at the same time, she thought things were clearing up, "So," she started, "You thought I was cheating on you with Klaus?" there was skepticism in her voice like she couldn't believe it and neither could Damon.

"What?" he almost jumped at her conclusion.

"You said my colors were merged like Hayley's, that Cam saw the same blend," she explained, "That somehow I was in physical...contact with Klaus," Mia asked and turned towards him, "It wasn't like that, Damon. I was just helping..."

"No, Mia. No," Damon cut her off, "It's not that," he shook his head. Of course, she couldn't imagine being knocked up and went to the alternate side, the story presented, "Mia, it wasn't the temporary blend of colors that comes from hugging," he said, "it was like...a stamp. The color’s still on you and it's mine, not Klaus", he said the last part in a sour, disgusted tone.

"So," Mia drew out the word, "Cam saw our colors?" she asked and made a circular motion that included them both. Damon gave her a slow, calculating nod waiting or her to figure it out but Mia shrugged, "So what? We were together then," she let the last words hang in the air as if it was obvious that them being together meant the blending together.

Damon sighed, "Not temporary, remember?" he reminded her and Mia opened her mouth, then shut it again.

In a simple word, Mia was shocked as the realization behind Damon's words became apparent and every event that went with it. The day she visited Cam and he asked her to not come again, the hurried way in which he drove her away and just a day later, Damon had broken up with her and Samantha had returned. Oh God! What was happening? Mia felt her breathing stall as she struggled to keep her eyes open but just as everything fell into place, she fell out.

Mia kept shaking her head. What on Earth and Heavens? What the hell? Was it even possible? "It's not what I think it is," Mia said in a shaky whisper. If she didn't know what a panic attack felt like, she sure did now. Her chest was tightening with every breath and she felt like she couldn't get enough air in herself.

Damon clutched her hand in his, "Depends on what you're thinking?" He said and kept his eyes fixed on Mia's face.

Mia bit her lower lip and her fingers twitched in Damon's grasp who hushed her in a calm and soothing tone, "Is it even possible?" she asked raising her face to his, her eyes meeting the worried blues that awaited her response.

"In my century and a half," Damon paused, "I've seen a lot of impossible. I really can't differentiate," he shrugged.

Mia gave him an absent nod, her thought whirling around with the tornado that shook her, "I've read about them, Damon," she said, "in the books. They were dangerous," her voice was panicked now and Damon put his hand on her shoulder, pulling her closer, "That's why interaction with the humans was forbidden. That's why Ariel's crime was huge. That's why I..." her voice broke as she thought about it, "How?" She questioned, "How is it possible? It's not possible."

Damon hugged her from the side, "I'm not gonna let anything happen to you, Mia," he assured her, "You know that. You're not the first..."

"No," Mia cut him off, "Ariel was," she said, "look where it got her."

"Ariel's child was not an abomination," Damon tried his best to not hiss at her thoughts. How could she even think that someone related to her could be an abomination, "She got his mother's radiance," Damon argued, "She was more of an angel. Look at her bloodline, Mia. Your family," he pointed to the ground, "They're all good people."

"Still cursed. Still forbidden," she was bitter as she said those words. Damon pulled her to himself, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting embrace. His hand kept stroking her back while the other raked her silky soft hair. Mia snuggled closer, burying her head in the crook of his neck, her hand resting on his chest. She nestled against him accepting, gratefully the warmth and comfort he provided. Even the silence that enveloped them was soothing to her and the peace that settled over her in his embrace was soothing to him as he gently placed a soft kiss on her head.

Though there were no tears, Mia sniffled as she lifted her head from Damon, her hand rising to his face as she looked at him. Her brain was filled with the images of the past when she had passed out by touching the necklace. That was the first time, she felt the thread that connected her to him, the pull, the tension and as naive as she was, she wanted to explore that, to touch just slightly to know where it would take her and right now, she felt the very same stirrings inside her as she leveled her head to his and stared deep into his eyes. Every fiber of her being was standing alert, her nerves exposed and she vulnerable as she asked him the question, the answer to which she knew had the potential to make or break the things. "Is this the reason you left?"

Though Damon didn't find anything important in the question because to him the answer was clear yet, the voice in which Mia muttered her question was enough to let him know that the answer meant a lot to her which is why he smiled and formulated the answer in his brain but the words that came out were pure, from the heart and unprepared but before he could utter his response, Mia began again, "You," she hesitated, "You don't want this?" she pointed to herself and shuddered at the situation they were in. What if that was it? What if he ran away because he couldn't handle being a father? Oh, God! How was she supposed to handle being pregnant and then be a mother? What was going to happen if Heavens found out? Would she end up like Ariel? And with her dead and Damon unconcerned, how was anything fair to the child?

Hearing the second question, Damon was taken aback. That was the line where her thoughts were running on? He wanted to keep her safe, to protect her not because...He groaned. Leave it to Mia to assume the worst but then his thoughts straightened out as he looked at things from her perspective. Yeah, he probably deserved that one too. "No, Mia," he raised his hand to her face, letting her creamy skin assault his fingers, "I want this," he said looking deep into her eyes with unwavering confidence. He wanted her to believe his words, to never question his love for her, "I want you," he stressed the words, "and everything that comes with it."

His eyes were so bright, shining with purpose, his tone, confident, his voice, gentle and persuasive. She wanted to believe him so damn much and a part of her did too but she couldn't throw the seed of doubt that had planted in her because of their distances, "Are you happy?" she asked in an easy tone.

Damon searched her face for a moment, her brows were furrowed, her eyes serious and he couldn't stop the smile that graced his lips. It was almost unbelievable that he felt pleasure at her words. She wanted to know if he was happy. She really was something. "Is that you're biggest concern right now?" he asked.

Mia straightened as she looked at him and leaned slightly forward, her eyes blinking rapidly as she drew in a breath formulating a reply. True, there were many things wrong with the situation and so much they needed to discuss but right now but yes. Yes, that was her biggest concern. Call her crazy! "You are my concern," she admitted in a soft whisper, her breath hitched in her throat.

You know how some words from some people could make your whole existence worthwhile. That was it for Damon. A vampire, lived as long as he had, saw the world as much as he had and none could compare to the beauty of this very moment when she uttered those words. He felt the very familiar feeling of falling in love with her all over again and it was just as intoxicating and enthralling as it was then and he knew without a doubt in his mind and heart that there was nothing in this world or hereafter that he wouldn't do for her. She owned him completely and she was the only one he wanted to be owned by. He was a free spirited person, live in the moment, enjoy life as it came but she could rein him in anytime.

The velvety silence floated around them. They were preserved in time as everything froze in mid-air. He was looking at her with so much tenderness, purity and affection that all the last months they had lived in agony without each other erased themselves from their minds as they stared at each other. She couldn’t help feeling the adrenaline in her heart when he glided his fingers from her neck to her face, cupping her cheek in a delicate way, his fingers gently skimming her skin but the passion she saw sparking in his eyes rendered her speechless and she wanted him to be that, to give her everything and not hold back.

She was still the same, the girl he saw so long ago. Her chocolate colored hair framing her delicate face and those deep soulful eyes that shone with innocence and understanding yet he could see the most darkest pieces of her through her through them. He couldn't count the times they had done this before but with every new moment he discovered another part of her, another trait that he came to love unconditionally and the way she looked at him, like he was the best thing in her life undid him every time.

Damon leaned in, his nose nuzzling hers as she closed her eyes at the contact, her lips parting as she gave him a silent invitation. His eyes lulled shut as their tingling, anticipating lips connected, mesmerizing them, transporting them into the world of wonders. His lips were warm and smooth against her but they were hesitant like they were kissing for the first time and Mia moaned as her body moved towards him. She encircled her arms around his neck and pulled him closer, her fingers knotting themselves in his rough yet soft strands.

The slow and sensual way their lips met changed when Mia pressed her lips harder, demanding more and Damon soared at her reaction as he moved his right hand to the nape of her neck and seized her mouth once more only this time, he didn't hold back and allowed the sparks to roar into a fire that burnt deep as he devoured on her, desire igniting their world as they lost themselves in each other, powerful waves crashing upon them trying desperately to extinguish the heat but the more they moved, the more the flames rose, enveloping them both into the folds of lust and love, shooting them straight into a Heaven of their own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Reason to Hope - Ron Pope
It's long but I loved it. How about you?