‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Judging The Faction

The world came into being with a betrayal, a deal gone wrong, opposing sides and competition. It was a known fact that even the devil himself was an angel but he betrayed, broke the trust, sever the bond so was it really such a bad thing? If Heavenly creatures were that impure and selfish, surely you could forgive a human being but the devil wasn't forgiven, wasn't spared. Pits of hell were made his permanent home, ordinary people, his eternal enemies until the end of time because everyone knew he wasn't going to change and even if he did, the crack in the trusting shield would've always been visible, standing in the way of a natural relationship.

Maya shook her head and felt the pain shooting into her brain. It was gonna explode. It was just freakin' ticking seconds away and she couldn't breathe. It was her all life, her childhood, her teen years, every moment that she pulled air into her lungs, promising herself to destroy the family that ruined hers but she had none. No family, no connection, no one who gave a damn about her. A father who ran away before she even opened her eyes in the world, the mother who abandoned her for God knew what. A single friend...Katherine Pierce, her light in the darkness, the only one who understood her, got her, treasured her turned out to be some selfish bitch who was using her.

She clasped her hands together. It wasn't true. None of it was true and she was so stupid to believe the words of those two. Mia, the one who had loathed her from the start, that jealous, stick up, two goody shoes bitch and Elena, she was her friend and they were known by the company they keep so, Mia's friend was her nemesis automatically, no questions asked but God, the pain on Elena's face when she found the truth, the disbelief on Mia's...it rang so much of the truth. Maya couldn't deny it.

She kept walking, her thoughts going two hundred miles per hour. She couldn't figure out a strategy. She didn't know how to approach Katherine. Does she go in and confront her. No, that wouldn't go well. She knew Katherine, the minute she hears that skeptical tone in Maya's voice, she was gonna shut down, knowing something's up. Maya had to get a grip and she knew that. That was the only way to face Katherine Pierce and for that confidence had to be the key with that air of indifference and superiority to it. She had to act, pretend that nothing was wrong. Maya snorted at the thought. She had lead all her life as an act, surely she could endure two more hours of it if she wanted the answers.

"Finally," Katherine's voice startled her and Maya gasped as she raised her eyes to meet Katherine's, "Are you alright? Jumpy?" Katherine cocked her brow as she smiled that saucy smile of hers, her eyes were sparkling as always and for the first time, Maya saw the fake element in them.

Maya shrugged and let out a long breath as she dropped on the couch, her head resting on the back of the couch. Closing her eyes, Maya rubbed her eyelids with her hand, "I'm just so tired," she dragged the word 'so'.

Katherine let out a chuckle, "Honey, you look like a wreck, really," she commented at her appearance and dropped down on the couch beside her, "What happened?" Of course, she would see that, see right through her. Maya just hoped, she could carry out this act better than her other performances.

"I was with Elijah," Maya opened her eyes and tilted her head towards Katherine who quickly straightened up.

"You were what?" Katherine asked, a small crease appearing between her brows, "Are you ok?" she asked and Maya sighed inwardly. There it was, the concern in her eyes that made her want to go and kill Mia for planting the doubt in her mind against Katherine. She loved her, she cared about her. They had been the friends, the confider, the partner for twenty years. Even a robot could develop some kind of attachment in that long a time period and Maya knew better than anyone that Katherine Pierce felt. She felt a lot. She was just better at hiding the stuff, didn't made her any less human...or a vampire.

"I'm fine," Maya gave her a small smile and saw Katherine's shoulders go slack as she leaned back but her eyes remained on Maya's for a few seconds.

"I told you to be careful," Katherine said in a mother like tone and Maya chuckled, "to keep your eyes open. We're in a battlefield," she said, shaking her head.

"Yeah, but we're not the players," Maya smirked, "we're the headquarters at the back," she let the coyness show in her voice, "We control," she raised her brows and made the grabbing motion with her hand and Katherine laughed heartily, her eyes shining with pride, something that Maya always treasured when it came from Katherine.

"I wouldn't let them hurt you," Katherine promised as her laughter subsided and she turned serious, her eyes boring into Maya's and she felt the urge to break the connection scared that she will see right through her but that would also provoke Katherine, letting her know she was hiding something and Maya held herself strong. I'm a Petrova, I don't fail. I'm a Petrova. "I wouldn't let us end as the collateral damage."

"I know," Maya whispered, "He didn't know who I was," She continued trying to give herself some kind of opening.

Katherine opened her mouth but then shut it again. Her face was one of surprise, like she wasn't expecting it but was delighted to no extremes about it, "You evil genius," she remarked, "You pretended to be Mia?" she asked, her voice was incredulous. Maya shrugged nonchalantly like it was not much of a big deal, "He didn't suspect anything?"

"Oh, please," Maya sounded offended, "You think you're the only who can play at let's pretend game?"

Katherine was taken aback with a smile of accomplishment. Usually, this kind of smile was reserved for the times when Katherine won at a game or her plans worked out which immediately put Maya on the edge as she recognized the all familiar smile on her face. "What?" Maya asked, her tone suggesting that she didn't want an answer but inside, her heart beat shot off into an abnormal range as she waited for it.

Once Katherine got off the high, she turned towards Maya and straightened up. Maya followed the suit, knowing whatever was coming was serious. Katherine was way beyond happy. Today was the day. This is what she needed, to know that Maya could pull it off, to fool others. For others like Marcel, the plan was simple, break Klaus' life but to her, it meant freedom and ultimate power. She could climb higher than the Originals after she was finished with them and she had the biggest weapon at her side, one that everyone thought was her weakness, one that didn't even know herself what a jewel she was.

"Maya," Katherine started, "I have a plan," she said, her eyes large with hope.

"Don't you always?" Maya chuckled but she knew it came out nervous and shaky as hell and she cleared her throat.

"I love you, Maya," she started, "and I know how hard life has been for you, how difficult and uncertain but I...I've tried to be everything you needed me to be," Katherine kept on, "You know, I lost my girl when I was a human," her eyes lost focus as she visited her tragic past and Maya felt herself comforting Katherine almost unconsciously, "But you," she said as she looked at Maya and cupped her face between her hands, her eyes looking at her as if someone finds a treasure for the first time and knows that their life will never be the same again, "You came into my life in the most unknown, unpredictable way and I...you eliminated the regret, the guilt that I carried with myself for years over losing my daughter. You gave me a reason to love again, Maya. You became my life."

Maya felt the tears building up in her eyes but she pushed them back because tears in front of Katherine meant weakness and Maya wasn't weak. As long as she had Katherine, she knew she wasn't weak but it changed when the first drop fell on Katherine's cheek and Maya realized that the great Katherine Pierce had broken in front of her and was crying. Maya had no idea what to feel as she went into hug her, moved by her words, deeply affected by her actions and she knew she was stupid to believe Mia and her crazy games.

"I love you too, Kat," Maya hugged her tight, her voice breaking.

"Know that," Katherine took a breath as she pulled away from embrace, "Know that, you're mother would've been so very proud of what you are today," she said. Katherine drew in a shaky breath as if she wasn't sure how to proceed with the next words, "Even if we haven't been able to avenge her truly," she said the words and watched for Maya's reaction.

Maya suddenly grew aware of her words and her lower lip trembled as she raised her eyes to Katherine's, "Everything is going according to plan in New Orleans, Maya but I know none of that matters to you. I know that you're concern has always been the Markowitz family," she paused, "Mia and that...Fiorella," she hissed out her name through clenched teeth and Maya felt the very old burning for revenge deep within her.

"She killed my mother?" Maya said but somehow the intended statement came out as a question and Katherine held her hand.

"Not directly," Katherine said, "But we both know that it was her. Your mother was a very loving person, Maya. Fiorella was her only enemy..."

"Why didn't my father do anything if he loved Mom so much?" Maya cut her off, her voice was rough and her heart was breaking, "Why didn't he look for me?" she asked.

Katherine sighed, "You know the answers, Maya. I've told you so many times before," she replied not wanting to repeat the story that she had told her a thousand times, planting it into her mind.

"I know," Maya croaked, "I know. It's just," she took a deep breath, "I can't do anything else. I can't make Fiorella suffer anymore," she voiced her thoughts, "Her daughter is an angel, her husband loves her and is scared of her so much that he could never step up in his life for me or Mom. He just abandoned us," Maya cried, "She won, Kat. She won."

Katherine was quick to put in her word, "No, she didn't. You know I wouldn't let her," she raised her brows as she stood up and pulled Maya up with her, "About that plan," she started, "There's something I need to tell you," she looked at Maya with hope and she gave her a nod. "I've learnt that the angel's power are transferrable," she smirked and waited for Maya to catch up but there was no reaction, no light bulb lightening on her head.

Maya shook her head, "I don't get it. Transferrable as in someone else can take it?" her tone was incredulous.

Katherine smiled at her in a knowing way, "Not someone else. Her look alike twin," she put her index finger on her chest, right above her heart, "You, Maya. Just you can rob her powers and render her useless forever."

"Really?" This was news and totally unbelievable.

"Hmm," Katherine jerked her shoulders in a small dance move, her eyes and lips both smiling, "You see, you can win this war, Maya and be the ultimate person with all the power of an angel. You could do anything you want, be anything you want. World will be at your feet," she clicked her tongue.

"I don't want the world," Maya said in a gloomy voice but she was excited as hell. Maybe, she could do that and when Mia would be weak on her knees in front of her, she would yell out the truth that her mother was really a nuisance and Isobel was one of many victims of that ruthless Fiorella. Maybe, Mia would finally stop lying to her and her lame attempts at turning her against Katherine.

"I know, Maya," Katherine said as she came to stand in front of her with a glass of champagne, "Revenge is sweet," she toasted as she raised her glass and handed on to Maya.

Maya smiled to herself as she clinked her glass to Katherine's, "Revenge is sweet," she said.