‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Time Break

6 Months Later...

"What do you think?" Annalisa came to a sudden halt near Mia's chair, her eyes were sparkling, her skin flushed and she was sweating...profusely.

Mia raised her eyes from the book she was reading and tentatively looked at Annalisa, her eyes roaming her as she took in her appearance. Mia pointed at her, "I think you need a shower," Mia replied as she turned back to the book she was reading.

"Uh, no," Annalisa sighed and sat on her feet as she leveled with Mia, "I'm not asking about me," she said and wiggled her eyebrows towards Matt who was catching ball with Stefan in the ground, "Him," she stressed, "I'm asking about him."

Mia smiled all so knowingly at her, "I think he needs a shower too," she answered, her eyes remaining on the book. It had been a month now that Mia had been seeing them both pass each other looks and doing all the stupid stuff together, finding excuses and asking about each other in not the most subtle ways.

"Mia," Annalisa slapped her book shut, "I'm serious," she said and when Mia looked at her innocently, Annalisa sighed, "You're the most useless, frustrating cousin ever."

"Oh," Mia cooed with pouty lips, "I love you too, cousin," she said and picked up the book again.

Annalisa rolled her eyes but the smile formed on her lips as she hit her head to Mia's armchair, "I don't know," she said and her eyes went to Matt, "I mean, he's Elena's ex," she voiced her hesitations, "and Caroline's and they're real nice to me...like friends. Do you think it would be weird..."

Finally sensing the serious note in her voice and her opening about the topic, Mia shut her book and turned towards Annalisa, "No," she said firmly, "It wouldn't be weird but if it makes you feel better, you can talk to Caroline," she tilted her head, "They're all good friends, really. They would want Matt to be happy," Mia told her.

Annalisa considered this, slowly giving her a nod and then she smiled and leaned in as if she was telling a secret, "He's cute though, right?" she asked and Mia looked from her to him and gave a shrug.

"Uh, yeah," she replied and Annalisa gaped at her hesitancy in answering the question.

"Would you date him?" Annalisa asked.

"What?" Mia almost shrieked at her but she knew what Annalisa was asking.

"You know, if you were single and all, would you date him?" she asked her question again, raising her eyebrows at Mia. God, she just wanted to know if he was a good guy, the kind that you could keep, the kind that was nice and caring and not break your heart and leave you.

"Who'll date who?" Damon asked as he leaned down to kiss Mia gently yet sensually and handed her the orange juice before plopping down on the seat next to her and Annalisa sighed. No, she couldn't say a word in front of him and not embarrass herself. He was just like her brother, always teasing and making fun and she hated her brother and she hated him.

Mia made a face at him, her nose scrunching as she held up the glass, "This, again?" she asked in a disgusted voice.

"This," Damon pointed at the glass, "is good," he settled in the chair and gave her a smirk.

"This was good," Mia replied, "but now, it's disgusting and I'm sick of drinking it," she used her best complaining voice, not that it had any effect. It never worked anyway. Damon gave her the most serious look he was capable of without turning scary and Mia sighed as she raised the glass to her lips.

"So," Damon rubbed his hands together in anticipation, "Who're you asking Mia to date?" Damon asked flashing his brow to Annalisa who huffed and got up and Damon sent the most charming smile her way which irked her to no limits and she turned to show him the finger as she flipped him off.

Damon's glare and Annalisa’s attitude caused Mia to chuckle as she drank her juice, enjoying the interaction. They were always like this with each other and Damon was always the one that annoyed her to the extreme but they were the best friends that knew they had each other's back. Annalisa always ran to him with a problem and he always did his best to help her and of course it was Annalisa that always came to Mia, cajoling her to forgive Damon whenever he pissed her and they got into a fight.

Annalisa had gone far away, running towards the far end of the ground where Stefan and Matt were standing when Damon stood up and put his hands around his mouth, "Anna," he shouted and she cringed. Whenever he called her Anna, it meant that he was trying to rile her up and she knew what was to come. She had flipped him off after all and she should've known that he would fight dirty now.

"Shut up, Damon," she said but turned around to look at him.

"Why would you want Mia to date Matt?" He shouted. Annalisa gaped at him in shock. No, he wouldn't do that, not in front of Matt. God, this was so embarrassing. Damon shrugged but the smirk on his face was as apparent as sun on a cloudless day, "But like you said, he's cute and Mia doesn't go for the cute ones," he shouted at her, "she has a thing for studs," he shrugged enjoying the flush he could see on Annalisa's skin from that far away.

Matt's heart skipped a beat as he heard those words but they were coming from Damon and he didn't know if he was serious or making fun of her but whatever the reason, Matt thought it was time that he talked to Annalisa. Annalisa let out a small breath. To say she was embarrassed was beyond words. You don't let your crush know what you were saying about him to your friend. That was just...ugh. She groaned and cursed Damon for the situation he put her in. She turned around to see Matt approaching her, the most baffled expression on his face and Annalisa sighed. Here it goes.

Mia swat Damon's shoulder as he settled into his seat, "Ouch," he exclaimed, "What the hell, Mia?"

"Why did you do that?" she was smiling but trying her level best to contain that and give him the stern look.

"Oh, come on," Damon sighed, "Those cowards need to talk," he waved his hand towards them, "Their googly eyes make me wanna barf," he admitted.

"But you didn't have to embarrass her," Mia countered.

"She'll forgive me," he widened his eyes at her and she narrowed hers.

"After..." she started when his voice stopped her from continuing and Mia's heart jumped to her throat.

"Why are you the one that's always forgiven?" Cam asked coming to stand in front of them. He was wearing royal blue with dark jeans, his otherwise sparkling hazel eyes were dull today with dark circles around them.

Damon was shocked to say the least. He had not been expecting this guy to pay a visit and as mad as he was, he was more frustrated that he couldn't stay away from Mia and then there was that opening line. He thought Mia forgiving Damon was some kind of easy feat. Oh, he was in for a surprise. Mia didn't play easy when it came to lying to her and asking for forgiveness.

"What are you doing here?" Mia asked, unsure of what to say. She had been thinking about this for quite some time now. Cam was her friend, a very good one at that but his continuous lies had Mia fed up and she wanted a change in him. She wanted honesty from him. She had thought for a long time of what she would say when he would finally come around but now that the moment was here, all she felt was various emotions running through her and she couldn't voice any.

She felt the anger radiating off Damon as he stood beside her, his fists clenched and Mia gently rose to her feet. She didn't want any brawl in front of her. He was here to talk, not fight Damon. "You look," Cam said as he appraised Mia and she heard Damon hiss at him for openly gawking at her, "like you," he said for the lack of better word or maybe, that word described her perfectly.

Mia took a step forward and put her hand on Damon's shoulder who relaxed suddenly at her touch and held her tight against his side. "And you look," Mia started, "like hell," she finally settled for that because really, he looked tired and exhausted.

"Been through it," Cam replied in a sullen mood as he took in a deep breath. He was scared for Mia and was even angry at her and Damon for being so careless because they had no idea what would happen if the news got out and it was the kind that got out. How long could you hide it anyway but now, that he looked at her, all normal, he felt a pang of hurt. Mia looked radiant as always and completely in shape, not an ounce of evidence that she was pregnant or maybe, Cam though with sadness, that she wasn't. Maybe, she had gone through so much emotional turmoil that she had lost the baby. "Looks like you've gone through it too," he commented.

Mia blinked her eyes, her mouth slightly ajar as she comprehended his words. So, he knew that him lying to her actually hurt her. Mia sighed, "Yes," she started with honesty, "You've always been a good friend to me," she said and felt Damon straighten up a bit and Mia squeezed his hand in an assuring gesture, "I hate when you lie to me," she said, "even when it's to protect me, Cam. I can handle myself," she said with confidence.

Cam was just looking at her. It was so bizarre. She looked like the old Mia but her colors were still the same, all blended with Damon's, the very same type that had him scared but she didn't look like that and it was confusing. He looked around him, checking to see if the whisperers were still around but weirdly enough, there were none and it confused him even more as his eyes went to Damon, asking a thousand questions but Damon just smirked, not considering him worthy of any answers.

When he got nothing from Damon, Cam sighed and turned towards Mia, "I'm sorry," his tone had an edge of sadness to it and Mia found herself feeling bad for him. She had forgiven Damon and she knew that Cam deserved it too.

Mia shrugged, "Just don't lie to me again," she replied and Cam suddenly realized that they were both talking about two different things. While he was apologizing or her loss, she thought he was apologizing to her for his behavior but Cam gave her a nod nonetheless. He needed that one too but he looked at her, "Did you...uh," he started, his eyes unfocussed and Damon loved the baffled expression on his face but he decided to answer him.

"No, the baby's fine," he said and Cam's eyes snapped to his as he quickly started to scan his surrounding and Damon chuckled, "They don't come here anymore," he told him, "we cleansed our home from their intruding minds," he flashed his brows and sighed.

Mia finally understood what they were talking about and she relaxed when Damon started to talk to him in a civil manner, "It's a spell Bonnie did," Mia explained, "The one she did on my necklace. It hides my real state," she shrugged, "Makes me look...all normal," she said. "All part of my incognito mode," she chuckled without humor and Cam smiled at her. It was good. She looked good chuckling and smiling. Happiness suited her.

"And what did you do to keep the whisperers away?" He asked, the all tense atmosphere lightening as they conversed with each other, like old, normal times when everything was better. "Because I see that you've all learnt new tricks," he joked and Mia snorted.

"More like surviving tactics," she replied, "And that," she pointed, "is because of the amu..." she was saying when Antonio came in, his eyes hard on Cam.

"I thought I felt your presence," Antonio said as he came to stand in front of Cam who gawked at him, his mind slated clean of any rational thought. What the hell had happened in the last six months? He suddenly felt out of place. "I've felt you every time," Antonio said looking at him with narrowed eyes, "You've been watching over us," he simply said without any emotion in his voice.

"I tried, Sir," Cam replied and Mia couldn't stop the laughter that burst out of her at the word, 'Sir'. She was laughing at him. Great. That just made him feel so better in front of her father. Damon smiled at the sound that always set everything right in his world as he placed a kiss on her temple. Just then, Fiorella came waltzing in with a pale pink dress in her hand.

"This brings out the color in your eyes," she said as she came to Mia and handed her the dress, unaware of the small gathering, "Don't you think, princess?"

Mia shifted uncomfortably on her feet, "Not princess, Mamma," she complained.

Annalisa snorted, "Welcome to my world," she rolled her eyes and took a sip from Mia's juice. Damon sent a glare her way, asking her silently to put the glass back. Annalisa poked out her tongue, her brows flashing as she took in a long, satisfying sip and Damon sighed while Matt chuckled, winking at Annalisa who gifted him with a huge smile. Damon, of course made a gagging sound at them bringing out a satisfactory smile on Annalisa's face.

"Hush, hush, Anna," Fiorella clicked her tongue and Annalisa sobered suddenly.

"It's Lisa," She said exasperated and out of habit because she knew her aunt would never change and that was something she loved about her. She was so full of life and didn't give a damn for anyone. She was always her own person and Annalisa found that inspiring.

"Of course, Anna dear," Fiorella replied as she kept all her focus on the dress, "So, Mia," she asked, "What do you think, Princess?" her voice was so soft and loving every time she talked to Mia that she could hear her talk all the time and Fiorella talked a lot too.

"It's beautiful, Mamma," Mia replied as she leaned in and kissed her mother on the cheek.

"No, darling," she said, "It's pretty. You will make it beautiful," she said in her best proud mother tone and Mia felt her heart soar. Everybody liked to hear compliments, even if they were from mothers who were always going to say that you're beautiful no matter how much of a zombie you looked but Mia relished them because in all her life, she had gotten so few from her mother and every single one got was etched in her heart.

"That wasn't cheesy," Annalisa taunted, "Uh uh, not at all," she was saying when Fiorella swat her arm, sending a soft mother like glare her way.

"Oh," Fiorella exclaimed as she looked at Cam standing at side, "Where did you come from?" she asked.

"Where does everybody come from?" Annalisa asked, the most innocent expression on her face and Mia sighed, her eyes closing as she rubbed her temples, "It's Camiel, Aunt," she said recalling the name from her book, "You're Camiel, aren't you?" she asked turning towards him.

"Y-yes," Cam replied hesitant. So much had changed and he had no idea. He had missed so much. Mia had her family back and they were quite a cheerful lot with the exception of her father maybe who was still standing there with the stern look on his face. His eyes only showed warmth when he looked at Mia, his wife or Annalisa which made sense but made no sense at the same time.

"Oh," Fiorella started, "You're that one," she said deep in thought, "I always wanted to ask what you were thinking when you went after Ariel in the first place? She asked.

Cam opened his mouth but his mind was frozen with that much of a direct question and Fiorella sensed that, "Oh," she took on the apologizing tone, "I didn't mean it like that," she said, "I just always wanted to know. It's alright though. We'll talk later. You make yourself comfortable, yeah?" she turned away from him and raised the dress for Mia to look at, "I'll just go put it in your closet, yeah?"

Mia smiled, "Ok," she nodded.

Fiorella smiled at her and shook her head as she turned back and looked at Cam directly, "It's nice to meet you," she said and looked over at Mia, "I know some of your methods were wrong but I'm glad that you were there for my daughter," her voice reeked of gratitude, "And I understand," she smiled apologetically, "Why you did what you did with Mia and...Maya. This girl," she pointed to Mia, "Needs all the protection she can get."

Cam was at loss for words. He knew that Fiorella was an amazing woman but he didn't know how insightful she was. Having her for a mother must be epic for Mia. He looked at her, the way the wind blew hair on her face, the easy way she smiled at her mother and tucked her hair behind her ear, the way she snuggled closer to Damon almost unconsciously seeking his warmth. She, herself was a phenomenal person and now, he could clearly see where she got all that from.

"Thank you," he was humbled and her understanding rang all the right chords with him. No one had ever said to him and before that he hadn't even realized how much he wanted to hear those words, "And I'll keep that up," he said regarding the fact that he wanted to protect Mia. His eyes flickered to Mia's in that second and something passed between them, a single moment as their eyes met. They both realized something important in that moment and quickly averted their eyes.

Cam didn't want it. He couldn't do what he came here to do. Before knowing everything that has changed, he was upset with Mia. Upset that she was jumping into the deadly ocean without any concern for her life, raging the Heavens, standing against it, he was sure she was crazy and as much as he wanted to protect her, he knew it was a notion all out of proportion. She was here on a mission, the one that was escalating so quickly, he couldn't keep a handle on things and she had to fulfill it, she had to complete the given job but seeing her now, he didn't want to push it. She was finally in a better place and he didn't want to ruin it. He had ruined enough things for her already.

Cam sighed as he regarded everyone with a guarded smile, "Uh," he shifted on his feet, "It was nice seeing you all," his eyes were everywhere but on Mia while she stared at him, waiting for him to meet her eyes, a moment that never came, "But I've gotta go now," his delivery was rushed as if he couldn't wait to get out of here. He turned away quickly, not waiting for anybody's reply as he made his way to where he had parked his car.

Everyone was in some kind of stance at his odd behavior. For those who hadn't met him before wondered if he was sane. For others like Mia, they just wondered what the hell happened to him to act so out of sorts. Mia blinked as she left Damon's side and ran after him, "Cam," she called and saw him slow down but he kept walking, his face straight ahead and Mia fastened her pace, "What's wrong?" she asked.

Cam whirled so fast that Mia bumped into him straight on and came to a sudden halt, losing her balance but Cam grabbed her waist, straightening her. The look she shared with Cam was so intense and powerful, it had Mia questioning Damon's remarks about him, the fact that he did everything to protect her because he cared that much for her and she didn't want him feeling that way. There was no doubt that Mia cared for him, loved him too but in a way that was so different. She wanted him safe and happy. She didn't want him to have some kind of intimate feelings for her that she couldn't return, she didn't want to lose a friend.

"Everything's fine," he smiled at her, pulling his hands back, "I just wanted to apologize," he said as he looked at the ground but raised his eyes to hers, "I'm sorry, I missed on so much and that I wasn't there for you," he kept going, "I didn't know any of it or what you've been going through but I'm happy, Mia. I'm so happy for you."

"No," Mia's denial was firm as she straightened, "That is not why you came here, Cam," she stated, so sure of herself and took a step forward, "No more lies," her voice was soft and persuasive, "Please, you just promised me that, Cam."

"I want you to be happy," he started and Mia took another step forward, their feet touching.

"Truth, please," she said again, her words just a whisper but powerful nonetheless.

"That is the truth," he argued.

Mia shook her head, "I don't doubt that," she said, "I don't doubt that you want me to be happy but you lying to me hurts, Cam. Trust me with the truth, please."

"Mia," he sighed.

"I'm not going to beg you, Cam," she said firmly, "But I would really appreciate if you’d try to be honest with me."

"You think, I enjoy it? Lying to you? I don't, Mia. Ok? But, I do what I think is right," his voice was raised but he calmed down, taking a deep breath, his eyes closed, shielding him from having to watch the pain in her eyes at his words, at his inability to voice the truth, "I've made this decision not to tell you," he reduced his voice to a whisper, "Don't make this any harder."

Mia looked at him for a beat longer before giving him a nod, "Ok," she said, "Suit yourself," she waved her hand and turned around. What she wasn't expecting to see was Damon as he stood there in all his glory, his eyes like fire blue, his lips pursed as he watched their little confrontation. Mia drew in a sharp breath as she looked at him and gave him a casual shrug, letting him know that everything was fine but his eyes remained tight and Mia sighed.

This was not right and Mia knew it. There was something very wrong with everything that was happening and she didn't know what to do, how to set things right and she badly wanted to. "Is it about you?" she rotated on her feet to lift accusing finger at Cam, "Whatever it is, is it about you?" she asked.

Cam was confused. What did that meant? Mia saw the cloudy expression in his eyes, the way a small crease developed between his eyebrows and she was sure that she was way off mark with her assumptions. "Is it about me?" her question was hesitant as she developed a churning feeling in her gut. This was not good, the news could not be good.

"Take care, Mia," he said, "I'll handle it."

But Mia wasn't ready to let him go. The words from her mother hit her with force, knocking the breath out of her as she realized the words that tipped Cam off, the words that made him run away at the bullet speed. Her mother had asked him to protect her and whatever he had come to say jeopardized it, her safety and with as much softness as her mother said the words with, Mia was sure Cam was effected deeply and didn't want to put her in harm's way. Nothing came to her mind except one thing.

"If whatever you came to say," she started walking towards him, determination shining in her eyes, "revolves around my guardian duty, you will tell me, Cam," she spoke through her clenched teeth, "You will not ask me to give up," she said as she came to stand right in front of him. "Tell me the truth," she asked him again, her voice was strained but her eyes were warm as she looked at him.

"Everything will be fine," he said and she knew, she was right. Though he didn't mention it directly, she knew what it was about.

"Where is Klaus?" she asked him.

"He's ok," his reply was clipped.

"No," she shook her head, "He wouldn't be for long," she stated, "Stay here," she pointed to the ground and Cam furrowed his brows together. His expression told her, he was confused but he didn't question it as Mia looked towards Damon, taking a few steps in his direction. Straightening her shoulders, she shouted at him, informing him, "I'm leaving," she said.

A mini heart attack was exactly what Damon felt at her words as he rushed towards her, "What the hell?" he was seething with anger.

"I promised him," Mia kept saying, "I promised Elijah that I would look over him, Damon. I can't abandon him, his family when he needs me. I need to be there. I'm going to New Orleans." She snapped her eyes to Cam, "Where are they?" she asked serious, "And what was the latest situation?" she knew that whisperers couldn't be here so, Cam couldn't have the latest news but she had to know what was happening and she had to help.

"Mia," Damon tried to reason, "Are you hearing yourself?"

"No," Cam said at the same time Damon started to convince her, "It's not safe."

Cam and Damon snapped their eyes to each other as they both quiet down. Mia sighed as she looked at them, "See," she pointed at them, "You both are trying so hard to protect me that you keep forgetting that this is what I'm here for," she said, "This is why they sent me here in the first place. I have to keep them safe. I have to fulfill my promise to Elijah. I have to keep Klaus alive."

"What happened to Klaus?" Caroline was surprised to see Mia mentioning Klaus since no one has mentioned him in so long. He had left for New Orleans and had never contacted her again but it didn't meant that she had stopped caring about him or thinking about him. Just hearing his name had caused a chill to curl her toes as she looked at the three people in front of her "Is he fine?" she asked.

Mia heard the concern in her voice as she widened her eyes at both Damon and Cam and smiled at Caroline, "He's fine," she said, "And he will be. I'll make sure of that," she assured her and Caroline suddenly hugged her.

"Thank you," she said and Mia gave her a tight smile but then, Caroline turned serious as she regarded Mia with sober eyes, "Are you gonna be ok?" she asked, "Are you gonna be safe there with..."

"Exactly," Damon cut her off as he glared at Mia who sighed.

"I'll be fine, guys," she exasperated, "It'll be fine. Can we just go?" she asked Cam who turned to look at Damon who was still busy in glaring Mia but gave in eventually.

"We're all gonna come, you know," he said and Mia shook her head.

"No, no, no," she said as she came close to him, "That's not happening," she used her stern voice but there was no use.

"You don't get to decide that," Damon argued, "If you have to be there to save them or whatever even with them being the Originals and all, then we need to be there to save you."

"I was born for this, Damon," she argued back, "This is what I'm here for. That was my mission."

"But you made it my mission," he retorted, "And I'll be damned if I let anything happen to you or the baby," his tone had finality in it and Mia knew she had lost that battle already.

Mia took a moment for herself before she turned to Cam, "Well then," she said, "When are we leaving?"
♠ ♠ ♠
It's just a filler but there is some serious action coming up ahead. Stay around for that. Thank you. <3