‹ Prequel: The Devil's Angel
Status: Hope you guys enjoy. Feedback will be appreciated. :)

Forever; The Devil's Angel

Gain...

Elijah looked over at her shivering body, "We need to take her inside," he suggested and motioned towards the tomb, "She's hurting too much. Is she going into labor?" he asked soberly and Damon snapped at him.

"Not like this," he yelled at him, "Not like this." Mia held onto his hand tightly as she breathed through her teeth.

"Damon," she croaked as the pain subsided and she straightened up slightly, "I have to finish him off," she said reminding everyone that for Vincent to die completely, she had to make him taste her blood.

"Are you kidding me, right now?" Damon glared at her but his eyes were soft, "No way, you’re slitting your wrist to kill him, Mia. You understand me?" his eyes searched Mia's for something but he saw nothing for she clamped her eyes shut, the pain that returned stabbed her like knives over and over as she tried to bear the pain but to no avail. Mia got up on shaky legs and Damon supported her as started to walk slowly, taking deep breaths in crouched position, her hands slowly rubbing her belly as if to soothe the pain.

The pain kept increasing and she was terrified. Damon held her though, supporting her weight as he whispered reassurances in her ear. Elijah and Klaus followed them inside. If he wanted to be honest, Klaus was terrified. He had just witnessed Hayley going through such intense pains and he didn't want to see Mia like that and Elijah was just the ever concerned vampire.

"Arghh..." Mia screamed as she collapsed on the ground, her body twitching in pain but Damon held her upright.

"Put her down! Put her down!" Elijah commanded. He just saw Mia's pain and didn't know what to do.

"I need to call someone," Damon yelled over Mia's scream, "I can't do this alone," he fumbled with his phone, trying to call Fiorella or Annalisa. He knew they were both in New Orleans. They had all come with Mia and maybe, they could reach them in time.

"Keep your hand on her," Klaus ordered for he knew that Damon somehow took her physical pain away. It was some kind of angel thing but he wanted it to work. Oh, how he wanted it to work. If he had witnessed something like this before, he would've thought everyone was overreacting but after Hayley, after having a baby of his own, his point of views and perspectives had shifted quite a lot.

"I can't," Damon kept saying, his hand roaming Mia's body, "I need to call someone. Someone has to come," his voice was panicked, "Doctor?" he looked at Elijah, "Should we call a doctor?"

"In this city?" Elijah raised his brow, "They're aware of us all, not sure but aware to some degree. Involving human would be just a mistake," he said.

"What do I do? What do I do?" Damon asked, his eye going everywhere but they always ended up on the girl who meant so much to him. She was a part of him, an extended part of his own spiritual soul and physical body and her every hissing breath and painful scream slashed his heart, injuring him brutally.

Mia was hating all the noises that surrounded her. It was the screeching sound, like nails on chalk board and it annoyed the hell out of her. She wanted peace and quiet. Everyone was panicked and afraid but none could be more terrified than her. She was the mother. She was the one that had to give birth. It was her child's life that was at risk. Mia took a deep breath, swallowing the pain as she screamed a loud, "Shut up!" and the noises died down suddenly, "Just shut up!" she didn't know what to do either but she relished the silence that prevailed.

It was too early. Everything was happening so quickly and so wrongly. She and Damon had discussed this moment in their life but none of them had dreamt that it would be something like this. How was it that everything rosy and nice always turned out to be sick and ugly? She felt weak and yet more energy drained out from her like some invisible force was sucking the very life out of her.

Elijah exchanged a look with Damon, conveying to him that he should do something until someone comes and take over the mid wife duties. Damon raised his brows, a baffled expression on his face, "I know my way around getting down on a woman," he said and pointed to Mia, "but not like this." Elijah glared at him as he moved towards her but Mia threatened him to stay away and not touch her or else she would tear up his suit. In her delicate state, the threat sounded serious but they couldn't stop the laughter that bubbled and the atmosphere lightened at once.

But like all good things that come to end, Mia's groaning and snapped them alert once again. The pain subsided every now and then but the anticipation of what was to come crippled her and when it did make an appearance again, Mia wanted to claw her brain out. How do they do it? First, throwing up, enlarging like a balloon and then this...humans were some miracle of God that endured this and then went for it again. Maybe, it didn't hurt them this much, she thought but all thought went flying out the window when another cramp grasped and twisted her.

Her face changed completely whenever she felt the pain but she didn’t' scream, didn't voice her pain except for the groaning and Damon was grateful. He didn't think he could've taken her screams and not lose his sanity. Mia was the cry alone and suffer in silence kind of person anyway, which was why every time she as much as groaned, he felt it to his core.. He knew for a fact that he was the only one to whom she had opened up completely and the only one who had seen her breakdown and she wouldn't like that she had been like this in front of Klaus or Elijah, helpless, dependent.

Mia snatched his hand suddenly that rested on her shoulder and squeezed it, letting it take the burden of hurt for her and Damon wished he could somehow but it wasn't some kind of possibility so he just relied on whispering sweet nothings in her ear and she called him out for that, "That's bullshit," she snapped and Damon felt shock at her words. He couldn't recall a single time when he had heard her curse and in spite of the situation he was in, he found that he liked it. Her mouth somehow looked provocative she said that word.

Mia's back buckled, her body shooting upwards as she hissed in pain. Images of his mother bombarded Damon and to him, it was the worst thing he could go through at that moment along with Mia's pain. This was always the result, always the situation that had haunted him, kept him up at night. To have even the slightest notion that her mother's fate could be Mia's was like a punch to his guts.

Things were so different now. When he lost his mother, he had a brother to take care of, someone who made his days bearable and life meaningful. He was human then, bound to live his time and depart. If he lost Mia right now, he would have nothing. Nobody that would make him want to see light, be the light and he wasn't a human anymore. He wasn't just a vampire either. He was the immortal in true sense and to live an eternity without Mia in it...he shook his head. He didn't want to think about it. He couldn't think about it but with every second that passed and with every convulsion that took over Mia, he saw a bleak future for himself.

He still remembered the day when he lost his mother. Just that day, she was so radiant, so happy. Not even in his worst nightmares would he have thought that she would leave like that but it had happened. She had departed this world for another realm and he couldn't do anything about it except curse his stars and deal with it. Damon snapped out of his thoughts when Mia croaked, "Mamma," and his frantic eyes went to Fiorella's calm demeanor. Why was this lady cool as a cucumber?

"You're alright, darling," she cooed as she hugged Mia from side and patted Damon's hand that clutched Mia's in a death grip, "It'll be wonderful. Stay calm," Fiorella kept saying and Damon put his cheek next to Mia's sweaty one.

With his additional contact, Mia felt her pain diminish for a moment and she breathed in deeply, her face softening a little. Mia tilted her head towards Damon, her lips gently brushing his, "I love you," Mia whispered through her ragged breaths, "And I wanted to thank you," she kept on saying but Damon shook his head.

"Nothing's gonna happen to you, Mia," he assured her but his own voice was shaky as his mother's last speech replayed in his mind. Somehow, she knew she wouldn't survive the childbirth. He wondered if Mia was feeling some kind of bad vibe too and the thought did nothing to lessen the assault on his senses. It was very much possible under the circumstances and he knew where the power would go to. Maya, her eternal nemesis. After their last meeting, Mia didn't blame her much but that general animosity would always be present between them.

He looked at Mia's frail and defeated form. He should never have let her take Vincent down. He should've made her wait for Elena, Stefan and Caroline who had all went to raid Katherine's supposed hideout to see if they could get their hands on the cure. The cure would've made the job so much easier without having Mia to use up her energy but nothing could be done now. It was maybe, too late.

Even though he was lost in the demons of his own, Damon knew the exact moment when it happened. The time slowed down for him or maybe, his mind was working double time but he saw everything and everyone in that second. The sound of cry broke the air of the room. Fiorella gasped but her eyes shined. Annalisa behind her jumped and clapped her hands in excitement. Elijah sighed in relief, his shoulders sagging. Klaus had the most brilliant smile on his face, almost as if he got his own daughter back. And Mia...a whimper broke through her lips as she collapsed, her eyes closing, her arm falling to her side and her face moved away from him, her hand that he held in his lost the life and he felt it as a limp object in his grasp.

"She has your eyes," Fiorella said, glee oozing out of her.

It was as if he wasn't there. It was as if he was watching all of this scene unfolding in front of him through somebody else's eyes in the slowest motion possible, almost as if the world around him was disappearing and he couldn't hold on. His mind was everywhere and he didn't know how to act. See the little girl that was some miracle for him or mourn his other miracle who laid there lifeless.

Hearing the dripping sound, Damon rushed to examine it but he kept Mia's lifeless hand in his own. He feared letting it go meant losing her forever and he held onto it. "She's still bleeding," his voice was blank, just like his expression. He knew it didn't work. He knew her healing damn system never worked when she needed it the most. There was no healing in her body. She was nothing but a mere human right now with no energy left whatsoever. A mere human who was dying.

Fiorella sprang into action as she handed the baby to Annalisa and rushed to tend Mia. She wasn't going to lose her daughter. She had just found her and she was going to make sure that she stayed there. She had to save her. "Stay with me, baby girl," Fiorella said as she kissed Mia's head, her heart rate spiking as she started working on her body, "Stay with me."