Big Brother

6

I glanced at Laney as we stood in the airport. She was fidgeting, picking at her nails, and biting her lip. she was nervous and it was cute. I had only really seen her shy or nervous a couple times, so this was great for me.

“You okay?” I turned to her and asked.

“Yeah, sure,” she answered.

“How many times have you talked to my parents? How many times have I told you they like you?” I reminded her.

“Still…”

“Still nothing, no need to worry.”

She rolled her eyes and rested her head on my shoulder. It was Dennis’ spring break from school and he and my parents were flying down for a few days. Both parents were excited to finally meet Laney since my brother and I had talked her up so much. My mom had had a few conversations over the phone with her too and always told me to keep her around because she seemed like a great girl.

Laney was a great girl. every day I got to spend with her the past couple months had been amazing. She got along with all my friends here, made me feel better when I needed it, nursed wounds, and was just there for me. Since around Valentine’s Day she had started showing up in my condo when I would get back from road trips; whether it was a week-long trip or just an over nighter, Laney was floating around the place doing something or in my bed waiting for me. In turn, after her longer shifts at the hospital, which had been cut down due to a chat with her grandfather and I, I would be at her place or have dinner ordered or cooked for her at mine.

“Laney!” I heard Dennis before I saw him. He ran up to her and gave her a hug, completely ignoring me.

“Hey Denny,” she hugged him back, “How was the flight?”

“Boring,” he looked behind him, “Dad snored the whole time.”

I laughed and then saw Laney straighten her stance. I put my arm around her shoulders and tugged
her in, “You look like a frigid bitch, calm down.”

She sighed and Dennis laughed a little, “He’s right, chill.”

“Erik,” my mom hugged me tighter than what I was prepared for, “You look good.”

“You do too Mom, as always,” I wouldn’t lie, I was a Momma’s boy.

“And this must be Laney,” my mother held our her arms, “So adorable.”

Laney gave my mother a hug and I watched as my mom swayed them back and forth like they were
old friends. My dad nudged me, “Good choice.”

I shrugged, “I think so too.”

--

“Good goal!” my brother yelled as I walked into the family area after the game that night.

“Thanks,” I smiled as my mom hugged me, “Where’s Lane?”

“Over there,” my mom smiled and pointed to Laney, who was talking with Brian and Lauren
Campbell.

“Why are you so smiley?” I asked.

“She’s great Erik, she really is.”

“I know that,” I smiled proudly.

Laney looked over and excused herself, “Well, congratulations.”

“Thank you,” I wrapped one arm around her waist.

I went to kiss her, but she moved her head, “Erik, your parents…”

“Are perfectly okay with seeing me kiss my amazing girlfriend,” I caught her lips.

“Gag!” Dennis yelled, “You two are so gross.”

I turned my head to him, “Hey, wasn’t it you who got this all started?” I asked.

“Just so I could get you out of the condo for one night while I was in town,” he made a face, “You
were smothering me.”

I shoved his head back, “Dennis, stop. You’ll meet a good girl when your older. Don’t be so jealous.”

I stuck my tongue out at him like a kid. “Stop antagonizing him,” Laney shoved my head back.

“Ugh,” I threw my head back, “Everyone’s against me.”

“Drama queen,” my dad laughed.

“You hungry?” Laney was still wrapped in my arms.

“Always.”

“Can we go to that place down the street from you?” Dennis asked.

I looked at my parents and Laney, who all nodded, “Alright, let’s go,” I led the way.

The whole time we were eating, Dennis was chatting away. He told us every detail about school,
girls, and his entire life. the kid was fascinating and could keep an entire room’s attention with no problems. Laney was in love with him and I swore that if he were a few years older that the two of them would be together.

when we were finished eating my parents went fr a walk on the beach and Dennis went to unpack.
Laney and I sat in the living room, alone for about an hour, probably the only hour we would get to ourselves the next few days.

“You know why I like you?” she poked my chest.

“Because I’m awesome…I figured that out.”

“Asshole,” she shook her head with a smile on her lips, “No. I was attracted to you because you’re
hot, but more so because you’re a great brother. You were so worried when he broke his arm and
even when we were just texting…the way you talked about him was just so sweet. I know guys
think it makes them look like less of a man when people say that, but I really like that about you.”

I blushed, “Thanks.”

She cuddled up to my side, “For the record, I feel like more of a man because you say that about
me.”

“You are,” Laney got even closer to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, it's over! It didn't end the way I really wanted, but that's about all I could come up with :/

Hope you guys liked it though :)