‹ Prequel: Reunited...Again
Status: Active

Fallen Angels

Mother's Little Helper

Milton, Illinois

A husband was at home watching TV, when his wife came home with dinner and flowers.

"What's on the menu tonight?"

"Meatloaf."

"Really? Again?"

"I wish you wouldn't say that. You know how hard I work all day, and yet you criticize me."

She then takes the candle holder off the mantle and hits him a couple times in the face, damaging his eye to the point where he couldn't see.

"So, yes. We're having meatloaf. With potatoes...and broccoli...and lots of good things." She adds, continuing to hit him in the face, initially killing him in the end.

Men of Letters Bunker

"Hey."

"Hey."

"You catch any shut eye last night?"

"Nope."

"Guess I'm driving then."

"Driving where?"

"Caught wind of a case online. A first grade teacher came home and killed her husband."

"Well, maybe she snapped. Ankle biters can do that to you."

"Dude, she pounded him into ground chuck."

"Ew." I make a face.

"So, what are you thinking?"

"Best guess...possession."

"Why don't you go?"

"Dean, look. I want to find Abaddon too, but we've been combing through this stuff for days."

"Well, maybe we missed something."

"And maybe there are better ways to spend our time than just spin our..."

"Maybe we don't have time."

"What's up with you?"

"Nothing."

"Yeah? See, because ever since you killed Magnus, you've been acting...sort of...obsessed."

"Well, maybe because I want an end to all this. Maybe because if we find Abaddon, then Crowley ponies up the first blade, and we kill her and him both. So, what you call being 'obsessed,' I call doing my job."

"Okay, um...I get it, Dean. I'm just checking in."

"I'm fine."

"Alright. Hit me up if you find anything. Brooke, coming with?"

"Uh..." I trail off, looking over at Dean who seems well to absorbed in the book he's been looking at for the past few minutes. "...yeah. Just let me grab my bag."

"Meet you in the car." He nods, heading out.

I nod in agreement, before getting up from where I was sitting, going over and standing next to Dean.

"Call me if you need anything alright?" I say, before kissing his cheek and walking off to the room to grab my things to meet Sam in the car so we could get going.

After we were in the city, and dressed in our appropriate wear as the FBI agents, we went to the police station.

"It says here in your report that you were the first on the scene?"

"Yes sir. I found Mrs. Young sitting next to her husband covered in his blood."

"Now, was her husband abusive?"

"Ric? Oh, no. Not at all. I mean, he could be a stubborn S.O.B., but can't we all?"

"Ah. Anything else, uh, weird that maybe you felt was too odd to include?"

"Like?"

"Like, did you smell sulfur?"

"Why would I smell sulfur?"

"No reason. Thank you." I say as he held the door open for the cell blocks.

"What about Karen's eyes? You notice anything strange?"

"Actually agent, they uh, pretty much looked like eyes. Oh, lord."

That's when we see that she had hung herself with the bed sheets in her cell. And there was a bunch of symbols and words written in her blood on the walls. The coroner was then called in to dispose of her body.

"I don't get this. Karen and Ric were two of the most ordinary people you'd ever meet."

"Did she go anywhere on the day of the murder?"

"It was Saturday. Uh...a quick trip to the grocery store. That's about it."

After the weird happenings we found at the police station, Sam called Dean.

"How's Mrs. Manson doing?"

"Dead. Hung herself in her cell."

"Lovely. The demon smoke out?"

"If it was a demon. I mean there was no sulfur, no emf anywhere. And everyone who saw her just before she gutted her husband said she was totally fine."

"What are you still doing there? This sounds like a case of the crazies to me."

"Well, if nothing kicks up by morning, we're out of here. How's research going?"

"It's going. Alright. Well uh...good luck." Dean says before hanging up.

Dean then starts flashing back to when he got the mark of Cain and when he killed Magnus and how he felt with the blade in his hand. He then takes his phone and makes a call on it, but hangs up. Meanwhile a young kid was walking along a dark road alone, on the phone with his girlfriend.

"Uh huh. Yep. No. I know. I'm sorry. No, I'll make it up to you. Look, I'm trying to get there babe. But I got into a fight with my mom. Oh, I think I got a bite. Yeah, a van is pulling up. Let me roll. I love you. Bye. Oh, hey! I didn't know this was your ride, Mr. Richie."

"Lets get you out of the cold."

"Thanks. It's freezing out there. Hey, what...what are you doing?! Get off me! No!"

Bright light them emerges in the van as he screams. But with us, we went to a local diner for some food as it's been a long day.

"Can I get you two anything else?"

"Uh, this is great, thank you."

"If we need anything else we'll let you know." I nod.

"Be with you in a minute Bill." The waitress says to the kid that walks in.

After he walks in, he sits and sees a plate of leftover food and takes a handful of the rice that was on the plate.

"Billy, what are you doing? Your mother raise you in a barn?"

"Don't talk to me like that!"

"Hey. Take it easy. She's working hard."

"No kidding."

"What's eating you?"

He just looks at her and knocks over a glass, it shattering all over the floor.

"You. My mom. Them."

"Buddy...give it a rest."

"Billy? Billy. I'm gonna call your mom, have her come fetch you."

"No, you're not." He says before he grabs her hand and a knife and stabs it right through.

He goes for the fork, but Sam stops him and then we help with getting the knife out of her hands before the paramedics are called and the police show up. The next day we're in that police station where the kid was locked up and then there was humming coming from another cell. In another cell a man had blood all over his hands and wrote on the wall with it.

"So, tell me what's happening here."

"I was hoping you'd tell me. You're the ones that mentioned weird."

"Now, where did they all come from?"

"Oh, they're all locals. Four of the straightest arrows you'd ever meet. Apparently, they've been acting like this for days."

"Do they share anything in common? Church, school? Uh, book club?"

"Not of my knowledge. Oh, I met the kid's girlfriend. She said he was hitching a ride when a van picked him up, and that's the last she heard of him. Whatever that's worth."

Once the sheriff leaves, since he had a phone call, we head back to the cells. More specifically the one with the kid in it. I keep an eye out just in case the sheriff comes back while Sam takes out some holy water and splatters some on the kid and he kind of goes a little crazy, but it doesn't really affect him.

"What are you Billy?"

"Clear."

"Of?"

"Everything."

"Why are you doing this?"

"You think there's a 'why'? No. It's because I want to. And I can."

After getting basically nothing out of him that explains what's going on, we left the cell blocks and went and looked through some files in the main area of the station. The sheriff brings over some more things for us to look at, concerning everything.

"Grocery store surveillance pics."

"Great. Thank you."

While I was sitting there, I had called Dean to let him know what was going on.

"Hey."

"Well, kind of took a long time to answer Dean."

"Yeah, I'm working. You and Sam got anything?"

"We're not sure. But there's a handful of other people are acting out too."

"How?"

"Same as the woman. Aggressive, violent and impulsive."

"Sounds like you're in a Gold's Gym."

"Dean, let's be serious for a minute here. Okay? The littlest things are setting them off. Kind of like...."

"...me." Sam says as he realizes something.

"Sam."

"Sam?"

"Yeah. Here you can talk to him, he can explain it better I think." I say as I hand off the phone to Sam.

"Remember soulless me?"

"Yeah, how could I forget? But you weren't out of control like these people."

"Yeah, well, maybe everyone has a different reaction to losing their soul."

"Possible. So, what? A crossroads demon making deals and taking people's souls?"

"No, I don't think so. I mean, it's not as if these people are winning the Lotto."

"Okay. Uh, well, that was my best swing."

"I hope not Dean. We could really use your help down here. Dean?"

"Yeah, no, I...I heard you. I just, uh...I'm getting close Sam. I can't drop the ball on Abaddon right now."

"Alright. Be safe."

"You're lying to Sam like he's your wife, which kin of makes me your mistress." Crowley remarks.

Sam and I however were busy going through the surveillance camera pictures that the sheriff gave us.

"Now, listen to me young man. Those demons are back. I'm telling you, it's happening all over again."

"Demons?"

"Yes! Demons. Are you deaf?"

"Yes, ma'am. You know what? We're gonna take care of those demons right away. Now, do you need a ride home or something?"

"Don't patronize me, you little turd."

"Hey, you know what? We can take it from here. Um, agents Leiter and Gram. Please."

We bring her over to the table we were at, and Sam gets her some coffee.

"Here you are."

"Thank you."

"Sure. Now, why don't you, uh, tell us all about these demons, Ms. Wilkinson?"

"Please, call me Julia. It's very simple agents. They...they came to Milton."

"And?"

"I say 'demons,' and you both don't bat an eye, when everyone else around here thinks I'm nuts on toast."

"Maybe we're just a bit more, uh, open minded than most."

"Maybe. You're one of them aren't you?"

"Sorry. One of who?"

"Men of Letters, and that would make you a Woman of Letters. They came here in 1958."

"They...came here? Men of Letters?"

"Oh yes. It was different then. I was different. They were a lovely couple."

Flashback

"Sister Julia, please answer the door."

"Yes, Mother Superior."

"Good evening sister. We're here from the office of the inquisition."

"What do you want?" Dean asks Crowley as he's setting up the pool balls.

"You tell me Romeo. You rang. Let me guess...you butt dialed me?"

"Whatever the hell that is. Either way, we done here?"

"Actually, long as I'm here, last time we chitchatted, we agreed that you were gonna line up carrot top."

"Yep, well...I'm on it."

"Unless Abaddon likes 10 cent wings, stale beer, and the clap, I doubt that she's here."

"Go to hell."

"Oh, if only. What's going on with you, huh? You call me, you hang up. You want Abaddon, you don't want Abaddon. You want the blade, you don't want the blade. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're stalling. Just between us girls, how did you feel when you sunk the first blade into Magnus' head?"

"Not half as good as I'm gonna feel when it's yours."

"Love it when you talk dirty. You know what I think? I think you felt powerful...virile...and afraid."

"Afraid?"

"Don't scam a scam artist, darling. You're stalling 'cause you're scared."

"They gave false names, but later I learned that the man's name was Henry." Julia continues to tell us her story.

"Henry Winchester?"

"Never got a last name."

"And what about the woman?"

"Josie. Did you two know them?"

"Yes, uh...sort of. It's complicated."

"I'm an ex-nun sweetie. Complicated is my middle name."

"Now, what were they here to investigate?"

"Sister Mary Catherine. She killed two people before jumping from the bell tower. So I took 'em to see Mother Superior and Sister Agnes.

"Time is of the essence, Mother...Superior. The cardinal's meeting with the Holy Father first thing in the morning, and he wants a report."

"Our beloved abbey is open to you Father. Sister Julia here will be your guide."

"Where would you like to begin?"

"Sister Mary Catherine's sleeping quarters, please."

"Sister Mary Catherine's room it is."

"I hate nuns."

"Why, because she answered me and not you?"

"No, because I went to Catholic school and I have a lot f pent up anger."

"We have no time for such pettiness."

"What's got your boxers all in a bundle?"

"This. Why are we out in the field?"

"It's called learning on the job. And you know damn well this is the last assignment before we are full members."

"Therein lies the probem. As our initiation grows closer, I...I worry that this might be a selfish endeavor on my part."

"Selfish. How?"

"If anything were to happen to me, what of John? Millie?"

"They'd be proud to know that you answered the call."

"No. My wife would be a widow, and my son fatherless. I don't expect you to understand. You don't have a fam..I'm sorry Josie. I didn't mean it that way."

"I know Henry. You're a good man. Millie is lucky to have you."

"Here we are. The...blood wouldn't come off."

"So, we're assuming demonic possession here, correct?"

"Or a linguist gone mad." Josie says about this symbol carved into the wall.

"It looks ancient. Zapoqra or Sanskrit?"

"No. It...it's pre-Enochian. A crest of some sort. Kni...Knights of Hell? What is that?"

"Trouble."

"Knights of Hell? What were they doing there?" Sam asks.

"I'm not sure of anything I saw that night. We couldn't leave our room after 10:00. Mother Superior forbade it."

With Sister Julia in bed reading, there was some footsteps out in the hall and she went to find out what was going on. There was some thudding, and she saw a girl being dragged up the stairs by one of the nuns, and her eyes were black as night.

"I woke up in a dark place, tied to a chair. There were others. They were taken. I was so scared. I prayed and prayed, but God didn't answer my prayers. Henry and Josie did."

"Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus..."

"Ergo, draco maledicte et omnis legio diabolica."

"Adjuramus te. Et secta diabolica!"

"Ut ecclesiam tuam secura tibi facias libertate servire, te rogamus, audi nos!"

Just then there were footsteps.

"Exorcizamus te, omnis immundus spiritus, omnis satanica potestas, omnis incursio infernalis adversarii, omnis legio!"

"Henry!"

"You hunters are always sticking your noses in where they don't belong."

"Hunters? Please."

"Then what are you? Quickly dear. Before this one pays for your stubbornness!"

"We are preceptors...beholders, chroniclers of all that which man does not understand."

"A woman amongst the Men of Letters?"

"Yes."

"Well, ain't that a blast."

"You do know what we're capable of, demon?"

"Yes. I know what you think you're capable of, but perhaps I should see for myself."

"Wait. What are you doing?"

"I'm trading up from this bag of bones to Mr. Dreamy here. Then I can study your kind real close."

"Don't or I'll..."

"Or what?"

"Take me, not him."

"You're joking."

"I could be more useful to you. People underestimate a woman."

"No. That's not it. You love him. He loves you too, you know. Like a sister."

"Please...spare him. Take me. You have my permission."

"You've been very entertaining my dear. But I don't need your permission. Abaddon takes what she wants. And right now, she wants everything."

With that, she transfers to Josie's body.

"You're going to study the Men of Letters?"

"For a moment. And then I'll destroy them."

"And what of all this?"

"Keep it going until I return. Now play dead. Henry! Are you okay? We did it. We stopped the demons."

"Abaddon. Did you ever see exactly what she was doing down there?"

"No, but whatever it was she was doing at St. Bonaventure, it seems to be happening again."

"St. Bonaventure? That was the convent's name?" I ask.

"Yes."

"Where is it?" Sam asks after he goes back to one security camera photo he was looking at, noticing the name on a van parked outside the market.

"On the outskirts of town. It's been closed for years."

In the meantime, Dean was still at the bar, and so was Crowley.

"I love this. I really do. Couple of cold ones, a kind jukebox...good and evil, bro-in down."

"Shut your pie hole, Crowley."

"Yeah, you said that already. Look, I merely suggested you might be a bit scared."

"Yeah, no. I heard you the first time. You still don't know what the hell you're talking about."

"I know that Cain gave you his mark for a reason. And I know that rather than embracing it, rather than looking at it as the gift that it is, you're sulking like you lost your knuffle bunny. Why are you fighting what you really are?"

"I'm a hunter."

"Who's a chip off the old mark of Cain."

"No. When I kill, I kill for a reason. I'm nothing like Cain."

"Nothing like...who are you talking to? I know you're not talking to me."

"Eat me."

"I saw you. I saw the two of you together. Nothing like Cain? What's in that bottle? Delusion? I'm really starting to worry about you, Dean."

"Yeah, well, why don't you worry about yourself?"

"I will. 'Cause like it or not, we're in this together. Your problems, my problems...our problems."

"Where you going now?"

"I'm going to go water the lily. Care to cross streams? So serious."

"Next time, I'll be easier. That's it. Good. You'l get used to the feelings, even welcome them."

That's when Dean looks over at the guy a few bar stools down and notices the rosary he has in his hands. The guy takes out a knife and gets up from the stool, Dean following close behind and he stops him at the doors to the bathrooms.

"Whoa whoa whoa, hey. I know what you're thinking."

"I'm thinking I'd like to take a leak, so move."

"I'm Dean Winchester. And I know a hunter when I see one. You don't want to do what you're about to do."

"And why's that?"

"Because you're packing a knife to a demon fight, and you don't stand a chance."

"Then I'll go down swinging."

"Hey, hey, hey. Listen to me. Any other day, i'd be right there with you brother. I would, okay? But you got to trust me on this one."

"Or you could grow a pair and come with."

"You ever taken on a demon before? Yeah. Well, trust me when I say that when he's done with you, he's gonna go after your family. He's gonna go after your friends. Hell, he'll go after your prom date. So, if you want to do that, if you want to damn anyone and everyone you've ever loved in the slightest chance that you could win, then by all means pal. You go right ahead."

"I got a kid sister. She don't deserve that."

"What's your name?"

"Jake."

"Good to meet you Jake."

"Thanks."

"I'll see you around. Come on. We got to go." Dean says to Crowley as he knocks on the Men's Room door.

Sam and I in the meantime made our way to St. Bonaventure, and he notices the van from the pictures parked inside the gate. Dean is outside the bar and waits for Crowley to come out.

"Demons don't take leaks. Next time you want to shoot up, why don't you find a better excuse?"

"Guilty as charged."

"What happened? I thought you were cleaning up your act."

"Well, I was going to, but then after very little soul searching, I decided to embrace my addiction. What about you? Takes a junkie to know a junkie. You just want to touch that precious again, don't you?"

"I want to kill Abaddon. That's what I want. So whatever happens with this blade, I can't worry about that."

"Sure. Whatever you got to tell yourself so you can sleep better at night."

"Look, what I want, what I fear, none of that means squat. Because this is the one chance that we have to kill Abaddon. So, I'm all in, no matter what the consequences."

"So the plan remains the same?"

"I find her, you bring the blade."

"It's a date."

"For a second there, I thought he made me."

"He has other things on his mind."

"But he did do exactly what you said he would. He saved you."

"Of course he saved me. We're besties. And now he's ready."

Sam and I make it inside of the convent, looking around at everything left behind once it closed down. We see the entrance to the basement and make our way down there. That's when we see jars with light coming from them.

"Sam! Look out!" I exclaim as a demon comes up behind him, but the demon ends up getting stabbed anyway and killed.

But that's when I was thrown to the side and into a wall and Sam was thrown into some boxes.

"Souls are a very precious and fragile thing. Break one of those, and them little buggers fly right back home. We can't have that, now can we?"

"So, after all these years, you're still doing Abaddon's dirty work, huh, Agnes?"

"Would you believe it's gotten even dirtier? Used to be folks believed in the church. Heck, they way they would come strolling in here, looking for God. It was like fish in a barrel, really. But times change. You can blame your perverts for that. Now I'm riding shotgun in some smelly van with a handyman and tricking any half-wit I can lay my hands on. But it's worth it."

"Because...stealing souls is so noble."

"Stealing souls is winning!"

"Winning what?"

"Hell's crown, nimrod. You think Abaddon is just gonna sit there while those pantywaisted demons refuse to pick a side?! And so she made a plan...if you can't convince 'em, make 'em."

"The souls....she's turning them into demons." I state after it hits me.

"A demon army, unbeatable, loyal only to her."

"Well, uh...at this rate...should only take a couple million years. Have fun with that."

"You think I'm the only one doing this? We have factories spread throughout. Worry not, though. Victory is nigh. And we'd like you both to be on our team. Recruitment is easy. I just have to rip your souls out of your body."

"Regna terrae, ccantate deo..." Sam and I both start to chant.

"Please!"

He then takes out his phone and plays the recording of the exorcism, and the phone gets knocked away. I take the chance and dash for it. I hold it in my hand as she starts to slowly make her way towards me, giving Sam the chance to stick the knife in her and kill her and I end the recording. We then go over and let the souls out of the jars so they can return to their rightful bodies. The following day, we went back to the police station and Julia was just leaving.

"You know, um, can we ask you something?"

"If it's for a date, I'm sorry. I never see anyone under 65. Too much drama. Spit it out."

"After witnessing what you did, why didn't you warn Henry about Abaddon?"

"I became a nun because I wanted to help people. Make a difference. But they never prepare you. They never tell you how to act in the face of true evil."

"Thank you, sister."

"For the safety of all those involved, it's important that we keep what happened here today...quiet."

"Of course."

"Soon after, I left the order."

"Why?"

"Because I was ashamed. I had betrayed our flock, God, myself. It was and still is my greatest shame."

"Well what you shared with us saved lives. And we couldn't have done that without you. Take care."

"You too, Sam. And you too, Brooke."

With that, we walk back over to the car and get in, driving off.

"You okay Henry?"

"Better. We saved lives today. We made a difference."

"Hmm."

"This...our work...it's a noble calling, isn't it? I mean, yes, there's risk, but, gosh. I feel the fool for doubting it for even a second."

"Hmm."

"And you, Josie?"

"Me? Well, I feel like a whole new person."

Later that day, we got back to the bunker and Dean was doing more research, kind of how we left him.

"Still plugging away?"

"Like a dog with a bone. You?"

"You were right."

"About what?"

"Finding Abaddon ASAP. She's mining souls."

"Why?"

"Demon army." I remark.