Everlong

This is my vice.

I woke up the next morning with an intense feeling of regret and disappointment. I broke my own rules once again and ended up in the last place I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, Jesse is a great guy, and I love him to death, but he's just not someone I want to be in a relationship with. Every time he gets a new girl, he brags about her to me, then a few weeks later he realizes she isn't what he wants, calls me up, and persuades me into bed before breaking up with her. We tried the whole dating thing, but it was just too weird for us.

I rolled out of his bed and quickly put my clothes back on. I slipped out the door as quietly as possible and made my way to the nearest gas station to wait for a cab. On the ride home all I could think about was never wanting to do this again. I set rules for myself for a reason, and I just broke the first one: Never get into bed with a boy because I'm upset.

Once inside my apartment, I took the hottest shower possible to try and rid myself of these stupid emotions that I was getting sick of having. People who don't have feelings are lucky. Once I was dressed for work, I fed my cat and slipped out the door. When I checked my texts, I had a message from my manager informing me that I would be training one of the new employees. I rolled my eyes and immediately dreaded getting out of bed this morning. I wasn't really up for dealing with newcomers today.

I was a few minutes early today, so I grabbed some coffee from Starbucks and sat in the corner. I watched a lot of the new employees trickle in like freshman on their first day of school. All of them looked nervous and excited.

"You're excited for no fucking reason." I murmured to myself and got up to clock in.

I began my work slowly and made my way to the infants department where I was scheduled to work. My manager was waiting there patiently...alongside the intriguing boy I made awkward eye contact with the previous day. I took a deep breath, put on a big smile, and greeted the two.

"Good morning, Kat. Rough night?" my manager asked.

I faltered a bit a stumbled over my thoughts.

"How could you tell?" I asked.

"Your shoes don't match."

I looked down, and the intriguing boy giggled.

"I'm an idiot." I stated slowly.

"Well putting that aside, this is Alex. You'll be training him for the next week and a half."

I did a little wave and let out a huge breath when my manager walked away.

"Ready to begin your work in Hell?" I asked the boy who was still standing awkwardly.

He looked confused for a moment, but had a small smile on his face.

"Is it that bad?"

"It has its moments. Let's begin, shall we?"

He nodded and I started to explain how everything worked here. It was a lot more difficult to converse with him alone. For some reason I was extremely nervous. The boy's big blue eyes burned a hole into me every time I looked at him.

After a few hours it was time for a break.

"You smoke?" I asked him.

He nodded, and I motioned for him to follow me. We went outside and over to a spot in the shade. The first few minutes were silent, then he spoke.

"So what's your story?"

I looked at him, confused by what he just said.

"Oh come on. Everyone has a story."

I thought about it for a moment, and then I asked myself why the hell does this kid care?

"My story is a long one, and you probably wouldn't be interested anyways."

"Try me." he said.

"I don't tell people my story after knowing them for 3 hours." I stated.

He looked defeated for a moment, but I could tell he wasn't going to give up.

"What are you doing after work?" he asked.

I stopped for a moment and remembered my rules.

Don't let his big blue eyes get to you.

"Absolutely nothing." I replied.

He smiled and stomped out his cigarette.

"Now you're hanging out with me."

I watched him walk back inside, shocked that I didn't even get to reply. Maybe this kid wasn't so bad after all.