Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 11

“So, how did you and my son meet?” Dr. Fitzgerald asked as the family sat around the table eating. Elizabeth took a bite of turkey, giving her time to think of something. And then she remembered that she was supposed to be an exchange student staying with Kevin and his family. “Well, I’m an exchange student from England and they’re my host family,” Elizabeth replied. “Well, I noticed a slight accent but I didn't’t really know,” Dr. Fitzgerald said. “Tell me about your life in England.” Kevin tensed and Elizabeth reached under the table and took his hand in hers. He squeezed her hand and gave her a slight smile with the corner of his mouth. Kevin was convinced that even if his dad found out about Elizabeth he wouldn't’t let him take her away.

“Well, I grew up near London with my dad and younger sister,” Elizabeth said. “What about your mother?” Dr. Fitzgerald questioned. “She died when I was little,” Elizabeth replied sadly, looking down at the table. Even though Elizabeth had never known her mother it still hurt to talk about her. “Oh, well I’m sorry to hear that,” Dr. Fitzgerald replied apologetically. Elizabeth smiled slightly and nodded her head. The rest of the dinner was eaten solemnly. Before leaving the house Dr. Fitzgerald turned around and looked at Kevin. “She’s a nice girl. Don’t loose her,” he said and then he walked out the door.

As soon as they saw the car turn the corner at the end of the street they all let out a sigh of relief. “We did it!” Kevin cried as he picked Elizabeth up and began twirling her around the room. Elizabeth giggled while Kevin spun her around and Kay and Kat flopped on the couch. Jessica, having no idea of the meaning for the excitement, just followed her older brother and span around the room laughing. “We’re safe for now,” Kay said and she leaned her head back on the couch and closed her eyes. “I think that if we can keep this up for another year and Dad doesn't’t notice anything then we’ll be in the clear.” “Why another year?” Elizabeth asked as Kevin sat her down on her feet. “Because you’re face is too fresh in his memory for us to relax yet,” Kevin replied. “He could have actually been tricking us today and actually have recognized you. He could be bidding his time and waiting for the right opportunity to take you back. We can’t relax until we know for sure that he’s given up on looking for you.” “Well, don’t worry,” Elizabeth said as she placed a small kiss on Kevin’s cheek. “I can keep up this act as long as I need to.”

The weeks rolled by and soon it was two days before New Year’s Eve and Kevin and Emily were hanging signs around town advertising the annual fireworks show on New Year’s Eve at their high school. “So, have you kissed her yet?” Emily asked as she taped a flier on a telephone pole. “Not yet,” Kevin replied, he had come close several times but had stayed strong. “Why not?!” Emily cried as she turned around to look at her friend. “You two have been going out for almost three months now and have liked each other almost since the moment you guys met. Why haven’t you taken an opportunity?” “Because I’I've been waiting for my moment,” Kevin said as he started walking towards the next telephone pole.

“And what moment is that exactly?” Emily asked, no one besides Kevin and Kay knew the moment that Kevin wanted to kiss Elizabeth. “New Year’s Eve during the fireworks show,” Kevin replied as he placed the flier on the pole while Emily put tape on it. “Oh! Well, since it’s an exciting moment like that I can forgive you,” Emily said with a smile, excited for both of her friends. “And to think you’I've held out this entire time. I’m proud of you.” “Yeah, two more days,” Kevin replied with a hint of excitement in his voice, inside he was bouncing off the walls with excitement but on the outside he was calm and collected. After they finished placing the fliers around town the two parted ways.

Elizabeth was outside making a snowman with Jessica when Kevin arrived home. The girls’ backs were turned to him so Kevin took the opportunity to bend down and scoop some snow into his hands. He balled the cold powder in his hands and let it fly, watching it land in the middle of Elizabeth’s back with a pop. Elizabeth stood up straight and turned around to see Kevin laughing. “Oh, you are so dead!” Elizabeth cried as she scooped up some snow into her hands and began running after Kevin. The two continued to throw snowballs at one another while Jessica stood by laughing at the sight.

Both walked inside the house wet with snow and shivering from the cold. “What have you two been doing?” Kay called after them as they both went up the stairs to change into dry clothing. “They were throwing snowballs at each other,” Jessica informed her mother as she skipped to the closet to remove her coat. Kay shook her head, but a small smile tugged at the corners of her lips. Elizabeth walked out of her room with dry clothes on and a gray zip up hoodie in her hand. She skipped down the stairs, preparing to go back out to the white world beyond the door. “Where are you going?” a voice called from the top of the steps. Elizabeth turned around to see Kevin standing at the top of the stairs looking down at her with a grin on his face. “I’m going out for a walk,” Elizabeth replied. “You wanna come?”

Kevin nodded and held up the hoodie he already had in his hands. He pulled it over his head as he bounded down the stairs towards Elizabeth, who was also putting on her hoodie. They both stepped out the front door into the snow covered lawn. They moved from the lawn to the freshly shoveled sidewalk and began the path of their usual walk, which was around the block. As they were walking Elizabeth slid her arm around Kevin’s and pulled herself closer to him for warmth. Kevin smiled as he felt her warmth through his hoodie and continued their walk.

New Year’s Eve came and Elizabeth and Kevin were walking together behind Kat, Jessica, Kay, and Andrew on their way to the high school for the fireworks show. When they arrived Kat, Jessica, Kay, and Andrew sat down on the bottom of the bleachers while Elizabeth and Kevin went to the top of the bleachers and sat down to watch the fireworks. Kevin had already talked to the coordinators and knew exactly when he was going to make his move. He pulled Elizabeth close to him as she sat down next to him. They all sat and waited until the loudspeaker announced that there was ten minutes left until the ball dropped in New York. The football scoreboard lit up and the countdown of the last ten minutes of the year 2020 began.

When the last five minutes began Kevin turned to Elizabeth. “Are you ready for your first New Year’s Eve of the future?” Kevin asked. “I’m not really sure. Will it be really different from the ones that I’I've had?” Elizabeth asked as she pulled her hat down lower on her head, covering her ears. “Well, there’s fireworks, but everything else should be the same,” Kevin replied as he rubbed her hands together, trying to keep them warm. “Well, this one will be different, I guess,” Elizabeth said as she looked up at Kevin with a smile on her face. “Because I’ll be spending it here with you.” Kevin beamed down at her as he wrapped his arms around her.

With a minute left on the clock some people began counting down with the seconds out loud, but Kevin was counting down in his mind. He knew that if he opened his mouth that nothing would come out, the moment was getting closer. It was as close as that ball in New York reaching its destination. With ten seconds left he turned to Elizabeth. While the people around them were counting down he placed his hands upon her cheeks and turned it towards him. Time seemed to stop for a split second when he gazed into her deep blue eyes. He heard the crowd around him swiftly approaching zero so he began to pull her face towards his. Just as the crowd reached zero his lips touched hers and the fireworks began around them, outside and in.

When Kevin’s lips touched Elizabeth’s she felt a shiver of electricity run down her spine and her stomach did a flip. Instinctively her eyes closed and her hands slowly reached up and placed themselves on the sides of Kevin’s face. When Kevin finally pulled away her lips followed his, not wanting the feeling of his lips against hers to end. Kevin chuckled at her and gently pecked her lips. “How was your New Year’s?” he asked as he smiled at her. “Amazing!” she exclaimed as she placed her lips on his. “See why I wanted to wait?” Kevin asked after he pulled away from her again. “I do, but next time you have something that amazing waiting for me don’t make me wait so long,” Elizabeth said. Kevin smiled at her and pulled her closer, never wanting for that moment to end.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO sorry it took me so long to update. I have no excuse for not updating for so long. I promise to make as many updates as I can with school and everything.