Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 3

The next morning Elizabeth woke up and went to Marie’s room. When Elizabeth entered her room Marie had just woken up and was sitting at her table sipping a cup of tea. “I am sorry to intrude Lady Marie,” Elizabeth said as she curtsied. “But, I must ask you a question.” “That is fine Lady Elizabeth. Come, sit with me,” Marie said as she motioned Elizabeth to join her. Elizabeth sat down while Marie poured her a cup of tea. “Do you know that boy that is always watching me?” Elizabeth asked as she put sugar into her tea. “What boy? There are so many that come in everyday,” Marie said as she took a small sip from her tea. “He is tall, has shaggy black hair, and dark green eyes like emeralds. He is at my room everyday and seems to watch me,” Elizabeth said.

“Oh, that boy,” Marie said as she put her cup down. “That is Kevin; he is Dr. Fitzgerald’s son. He was here the day I was brought here. He would visit me everyday, but then the visits stopped right after Lady Isabella came. He told his father that he did not agree with what he was doing and that he was moving out. So I suppose that Kevin has not seen his father in over two months since he has not been visiting me. But, it seems that he has taken an interest in you, Lady Elizabeth.” “Is there any way to communicate with him?” Elizabeth asked. “Yes, there is,” Marie said as she moved toward her bed and opened the drawer on her nightstand, inside was a small read button. “This will let you communicate with the people outside of the glass. Kevin showed me how to use it once, but I have no real idea of how it works.”

“So if I press the button I can talk to him?” Elizabeth said as she finished her tea. “Yes, but wait until everyone leaves tonight. It would be rather odd if you were talking to him,” Marie said as she shut the door. “Thank you, I will let you finish your morning tea and let you dress before I come with Lady Isabella for breakfast,” Elizabeth said with a curtsy and then she left the room. Elizabeth put on a white dress with a golden belt and went to get Isabella for breakfast.

After breakfast Elizabeth went to her bookshelf to choose a new book to read. She glanced until she found a book by Jane Austen called Pride and Prejudice. Elizabeth sat down on her bed and began reading while she waited for the people to come. Once she heard the crowds come in the doors she turned to look at the window. Sure enough, Kevin was standing in font of her room, smiling at her. She smiled back and went back to her book. She spent the rest of the day reading, stopping only to eat, and she finished the book right before close. She looked up to see that Kevin was the only person left in the room. She reached next to her bed, opened the nightstand drawer, and pressed the button.

“May I ask you name, sir?” Elizabeth asked. “I’m Kevin, Lady Elizabeth,” Kevin said with a bow. “Why do you watch me every day Kevin?” Elizabeth asked as she walked over to the bookshelf to put her book back. “You’re very beautiful Lady Elizabeth,” Kevin said with a sly smile. Elizabeth blushed and said, “You do not know me well enough to say such things.” “I am truly sorry,” Kevin said with another bow. “I will think about my actions next time. But, there is another reason why I watch you.” “And that is?” Elizabeth asked. “I would like to help you escape from here,” Kevin said on a more serious note.

“And who said I wanted out?” Elizabeth asked as she sat on her bed again. “No one, but I don’t want you to end up like Lady Marie, who can’t leave because she is to used to this place, or like Lady Isabella, who was taken from her home and is too unstable to have any new environment. I want you to leave here so you’re not a show for anyone and you can live a normal life,” Kevin said. “I don’t like what my father is doing to anyone in this museum. When he first started I was only ten, I didn’t know it was wrong. At first he only brought back plants and small animals, but then he started bringing back larger things. By the time I was sixteen he started bringing back humans, they were mostly old widows and widowers. When they were older I understood, they had lived their lives and it was okay to bring them here, but then he started bringing them back younger and younger. I didn‘t even agree when he brought back Lady Marie, but Lady Isabella was the last straw. She’s only fourteen, not old enough to have truly lived life yet. I couldn’t take it anymore, so I left him to live with my mom and sisters. Now I want to save someone from this destiny of solitude and I’ve chosen you because you’ve been here the least. Will you allow me to be your knight in shinning armor?”

“If you can truly get me out of here I would appreciate it greatly, but I would like to take Lady Marie and Lady Isabella with me,” Elizabeth said. “I’m sorry, but I can only take one. If I can convince my father that this is wrong then I can get them out, but I can only take you for now,” Kevin said. “When would you wish me to leave with you?” Elizabeth asked when she saw a shadow of a guard coming to make sure everyone had left. “Tomorrow night after the guards have left and everything’s locked up I’ll come and get you. I’ll have normal clothes for you, so I’ll be bringing my older sister Kaylee so she can help you dress because clothes now are a little more complicated then they were in your time. She’s looks about your size to so she can lend you some of her clothes,” Kevin said as he bowed. “Now, I must leave you.”

Then a guard walked in the room and called to Kevin. Kevin walked over to the guard and the guard ushered him out of the museum. Elizabeth pushed the red button again to shut off the communication device. Dinner had come during their conversation so Elizabeth picked up her bowl of soup and walked over to Marie’s room. She sat down at Marie’s table and they waited for Isabella to join them. Once Isabella had walked into the room they began to eat their meal. “So,” Marie said as she placed her spoon in her empty bowl. “Did you talk to Kevin?” “Yes, and he wishes to help me escape,” Elizabeth said. “Who is Kevin?” Isabella asked. “Kevin is Dr. Fitzgerald’s son. Why does he wish to help you escape?” Marie asked. “He does not agree with his father and I am the only one he feels he can save,” Elizabeth said. “I wanted him to free you two to, but he said it would be too difficult. He said we could save you later on though.”

“When will you be leaving?” Isabella asked with tears in her eyes, during the last month she had become like a younger sister to Elizabeth. “I shall be leaving tomorrow night,” Elizabeth said as she looked at Isabella. “It is too soon. I can not let you leave,” Isabella said as she stood from the table with tears streaming down her face. “I must leave,” Elizabeth said as she stood and pulled Isabella into a sisterly embrace. “If I leave I can come back and get you, and you will never have to be stared at again,” Elizabeth said. Marie stood from the table and placed her hand on Elizabeth’s shoulder. “We will see you off tomorrow night, but now we must sleep,” she said. Elizabeth nodded and released Isabella from her embrace. Isabella nodded as well and walked slowly to her room.

Elizabeth watched Isabella walk away and was saddened. But, Marie turned to her and said, “Do not worry, I will watch over her while you are gone. I may not be able to fully replace you, but I can do my best.” Elizabeth nodded and walked to her room and dressed for bed. Elizabeth fell asleep that night and anticipated the next night where she would be sleeping in a bed that wasn’t visible to the world.

The next morning Elizabeth woke and began her normal day. She ate with Isabella and Marie, read a new book, and then ate her evening meal with Isabella and Marie again. After they had eaten their evening meal they all met in Elizabeth’s room to await Kevin’s arrival. “Lady Elizabeth,” Isabella called as they waited for Kevin. “I have a present for you.” Isabella pulled a necklace made of pearls with a cross on it and handed it to Elizabeth. As soon as Elizabeth noticed that it was the necklace that Isabella wore everyday she automatically tried to hand it back. “I can not take this from you,” Elizabeth said. “You told me that this was the present that your brother gave you for your fourteenth birthday. It is too dear to you to take away.” “No, I want you to have it so you will never forget me,” Isabella said. “I could never forget you,” Elizabeth said as she pulled her into a sisterly embrace.

“I also have a present for you,” Marie said as she pulled out a small ring from her pocket. The ring was gold and encrusted with diamonds. “That is your engagement ring from Sir Jean-Pierre,” Elizabeth said. “It is another thing I can not take.” “It will do me no good; I will never see him again. Take it to remember me by,” Marie said as Elizabeth took the ring and placed it on her right ring finger. “I must now give you presents, they will not be extraordinary like your presents to me but they will be presents,” Elizabeth said as she walked over to her nightstand and opened the drawer. She pulled out a small silver ring with a single diamond and gave it to Marie. “It was my mother’s engagement ring, it is not as beautiful as yours, but I want you to have it,” Elizabeth said as she went back to the drawer. This time she pulled out a small gold bracelet and handed it to Isabella. “This was a gift from my father on my twelfth birthday,” she said.

“They are beautiful presents to us,” Marie said. “I would not trade it for all the gold in the world,” Isabella said. All three girls embraced and went back to waiting for Kevin. At around eleven two dark figures entered the building and walked to Elizabeth’s room. When they came into the light they could see that one was Kevin and the other was a girl that looked to be around twenty with Kevin’s black curly hair and muddy brown eyes that was carrying a book bag on her back. Kevin pulled out the strange watch from his pocket and pressed the button that opened the window. The window opened and they walked into the room. “Ladies Elizabeth, Isabella, and Marie meet my sister Kaylee,” Kevin said. “Hey, call me Kay. Now which one of you is Lady Elizabeth,” Kaylee said as she searched the room for Elizabeth.