Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 5

The next morning was the Fourth of July and Elizabeth again awoke to the voice of Jessica. “Wake up Lizzy! It’s the Fourth of July! Momma says that we need to get up and get ready!” Jessica exclaimed as she jumped on Elizabeth’s bed. “Alright, I’m getting up,” Elizabeth said groggily as she got up out of bed. Elizabeth went into the bathroom and took a nice warm shower, Kay had shown her the shower the night before and Elizabeth loved the fact that she could shower everyday and have warm water the entire time. Once she was done showering he brushed he newly cut hair and parted it on the left just like Kay and Emily had shown her the day before. Then she brushed her teeth with the toothbrush that Kat had gotten her the night before and had shown her how to use. Then she walked into her room and changed into a pair of jeans, a white camisole, and a blue polo. She also put on a pair of blue socks before she went downstairs for breakfast.

When she reached the kitchen Kay was sitting at the kitchen table with Kat and Jessica while Kevin was cooking breakfast. When Kay saw her she stood from the table and started clapping. “I knew there was a modern girl in you,” Kay said as she walked over to give Elizabeth a hug. “You even coordinated the cami and the polo together without being told, nice.” “Thank you,” Elizabeth said with a slight blush. “What’s all the fuss about?” Kevin asked as he turned around. When he saw Elizabeth he blushed slightly but then his face went back to its normal color. “You look gorgeous today,” he said as he went back to his cooking. Elizabeth blushed again at the comment and sat down beside the jumping Jessica.

Elizabeth watched Jessica squirm in her chair all through breakfast. Once they had finished eating Elizabeth looked over at Jessica. “Why are you so excited?” she asked as the little girl nearly jumped out of her chair and started dancing around the kitchen. “It’s Fourth of July!” Jessica exclaimed as she began twirling like a ballerina. “What’s Fourth of July?” Elizabeth asked, completely confused. Jessica stopped dancing and turned to stare at Elizabeth. “You don’t know what Fourth of July is?” Jessica asked in utter astonishment. Elizabeth blushed in her embarrassment and shook her head shyly.

Jessica’s mouth dropped open but shut quickly when Kevin shot a glare at her. “Well, Fourth of July is when America celebrates its independence. It’s kinda like celebrating the birth of our country,” Kevin said with an understanding smile. “There will be fairs, cookouts, parades, and fireworks. It’s just a big party day.” “Oh, I understand now,” Elizabeth lied; she had no idea what he was talking about. “Yeah, we’re going firework shopping,” Jessica said with renewed excitement, the awkwardness of before forgotten. Elizabeth nodded and went upstairs to put on her shoes then everyone packed into Kat’s van.

This ride was different from the last one, instead of freaking out Elizabeth saw that Kevin and Jessica were sitting quietly in the seats next to her so she relaxed a little. “Where are we going?” Elizabeth asked Kevin as she slightly glanced at the cars speeding past them. “We’re going to get some fireworks,” Kevin said. “What are fireworks?” Elizabeth asked as she took her eyes away from the road and turned them to Kevin. “Well, fireworks are a little hard to explain,” Kevin said as he placed his hand under his chin. “They’re kinda like magic I guess.” Elizabeth nodded; she had heard of magic from her father and had seen a magician on her tenth birthday. He had done many tricks that were impossible to do without magic.

Once they had bought the fireworks they went back to the house and began cooking for the block party that would happen that night. Kevin was outside grilling some hamburgers while Kay and Kat were showing Elizabeth how to make pasta salad. While they were making the pasta salad a knock came at the door. “I’ll get it,” Kay said with a smile. When she opened the door a man, about twenty five, with shaggy blonde hair and sparkling grey eyes was standing in the doorway with a bundle of roses in his hand. “Andrew!” Kay exclaimed as she jumped and hugged the man.

“Good to see you to Kay,” Andrew said as he hugged her back. When she let him go he handed her the roses and kissed her on the cheek. “Hey Kat,” Andrew said as he walked up to Kat and extended his arms. “It’s so good to see you Andrew,” Kat said as she hugged him. Andrew let her go and then looked around the room and stopped at Elizabeth. “Hello,” Andrew said. “I don’t think we’ve met before.” “This is Elizabeth,” Kat said. “She’s a foreign exchange student from England.” “Well it’s nice to meet you Elizabeth,” Andrew said as he extended his hand towards Elizabeth. Elizabeth nodded and shook his hand. After the cooking was done they sat in the living room and talked.

Then the sun began to set and Jessica grabbed Elizabeth’s hand. “Hurry Lizzy!” Jessica exclaimed. “If you don’t we’ll miss the fireworks!” Elizabeth smiled at the small girl. This was only the second day she had known the child, but she already had fallen in love with her. In fact, she loved all her new family. Kat was a loving mother she had never known, Kay was a goofy older sister that was like a best friend, and Jessica was like a younger sister that absolutely loved her and looked up to her.

And, there was Kevin. Kevin was kind, gentle, and was always ready to explain anything she didn’t understand. She held Kevin higher than the rest because he was the one who had truly saved her and that made him special to her. “Hurry up Lizzy!” Jessica exclaimed again, which snapped Elizabeth out of her daydreaming. Jessica led her to a lawn chair and had Elizabeth sit down while Jessica went out into the street with Kay and Andrew to light fireworks. Elizabeth watched the brightly colored burst in the air with amazement. This was even better than the magic the magician had done. She was so mesmerized by the fireworks that she didn’t notice Kevin walk up and stand beside her.

“Do you want to light one?” Kevin asked as he turned to Elizabeth. Elizabeth jumped at the sound of his voice, but once she understood his question she nodded eagerly. “Alright, come with me and I’ll help you,” Kevin said with a smile. Elizabeth smiled back and followed Kevin as he walked into the street. Kevin chose a small firework and placed it on the street. Then he extended the smoking punk to Elizabeth and she took it, he hands shaking in fear and anticipation. Her hands were shaking so much that she couldn’t light the fuse. “Here, I’ll help,” Kevin said as he steadied her hand and moved it towards the fuse.

Elizabeth blushed slightly; she hand never had a boy hold her hand before. But she couldn’t dwell on the thought for too long because once the fuse was lit the firework flew into the air and burst into a bright show of blues and greens. Elizabeth gazed at the lights and giggled. “Can we do it again?” Elizabeth asked eagerly like a small child. Kevin chuckled at her eager eyes and words and nodded. Elizabeth raced over and grabbed a different firework and placed it on the ground. When Kevin offered to help her light it she shook her head. “I can do it myself,” Elizabeth said with a smile as she bent down to light the fuse. This one flew into the air and burst into bright reds and oranges, like fire.

Elizabeth giggled and clapped in amazement, she knew she would never get use to the excitement of this new magic. “I love this,” Elizabeth said to Kevin after she had lit off a few more fireworks. “It’s the funniest thing I have ever done.” Kevin laughed and looked at her sparkling eyes. “You’ll do more fun things, I promise. As long as you live with us you’ll never have a boring moment.” Elizabeth smiled and him and then saw a movement out of the corner of her eye. When she turned she saw Andrew bending down on one knee and holding a box out to Kay. “What’s going on over there?” Elizabeth asked as she tugged on Kevin’s sleeve.

Kevin turned and paled when he saw Kay excepting the ring that was inside the box. “No,” he breathed in disbelief as Kay hugged Andrew and planted kissed on his face. “What? What’s wrong Kevin?” Elizabeth asked as she looked worriedly into Kevin’s pale face. When he looked down at Elizabeth’s worried expression a little color returned to his face. “Nothing,” he said with a fake smile. “Let’s light some more fireworks.” Elizabeth nodded but still watched Kevin’s emerald green eyes turned almost black in anger and hatred. She wondered what was wrong, but wouldn’t ask him again.

After the fireworks were over they went inside the house and sat down in the living room. “Mom, family,” Kay said as she stood up. “Andrew and I are now engaged.” As she said this she flashed up her left hand and upon her ring finger was a small sliver band with a diamond in the center. “That’s wonderful honey!” Kat exclaimed as she got up to hug her daughter. Everyone in the room seemed excited except Kevin. He got up from his seat and walked out of the room and up the stairs. Elizabeth watched him and followed soon after, she wanted to know what was wrong. She found Kevin sitting on his bed with hands folded underneath his chin.

“What’s wrong Kevin?” Elizabeth asked as she sat down next to him. “I know I don’t know much about this time, but in my time engagements were a festival and everyone was happy for them. But, you seem angry.” “He’s not the one for her,” Kevin said. “He’s totally not the right one for her. He’s always tired and Kay is always up and excited. He’s boring and Kay is exciting. He’ll make her miserable.” “Does he love her?” Elizabeth asked as she remembered her proposed engagement to Sir Eric. “I guess,” Kevin said as he stared at the floor. “Well, does she love him?” Elizabeth asked. “She’s head over heels for him,” Kevin said with a grim smile. “But, he’s not right for her.” “But if they love each other than that’s all that matters,” Elizabeth said as she placed her hand on Kevin’s and he looked up at her. “I was almost forced into a marriage I didn’t want and if I hadn’t come here I would have been officially engaged and miserable. I envy your sister; she’s found the one man in her life that can make her happy. Please don’t ruin her engagement just because you don’t think he’s right for her, for her sake and mine. Be glad that she thinks he’s right for her.”

Kevin nodded and his eyes filled with tears. “I know that you’re telling the truth, but I’m afraid to let her go,” he said as he forced his tears to stay at bay, he wouldn’t cry in front of Elizabeth. “I know,” Elizabeth said. “But, you have to let go. Now, let’s go downstairs and congratulate your sister.” Kevin nodded and followed Elizabeth down the stairs. They were greeted by excited smiles and hugs. One night of emotion and excitement over, but so many more to go.