Love Can Stop Time

Chapter 6

The days went by slowly, but Elizabeth was happy with them. They were uneventful but still full of new and exciting things. She learned what a pizza was and Kevin had started teaching her things she would need to know for school so she wouldn’t be behind when she arrived. She also learned funny songs and dances from Jessica and fashion from Kay when Kay wasn’t with Andrew. The wedding was set for the next spring and Elizabeth was already asked to be a bridesmaid and Kevin to be the best man. Kevin had been trying to get along with Andrew since his talk with Elizabeth on Fourth of July and discovered that Andrew wasn’t all that he had thought him to be.

He discovered that Andrew had a kind heart and truly loved his sister. They didn’t become best friends, but they became tolerable enough to each other that Andrew was happy to name Kevin as his best man. Everything was calm and quiet until the morning of August 9th rolled around. Elizabeth was sleeping quietly until a loud knock came at her door. She rolled out of bed groggily and walked slowly to the door. “What is it?” she asked as she opened the door and rubbed her eyes. Kevin, who was behind her door, looked flustered and moved quickly into her room. “You have to get dressed quick and go with Emily,” he said as he paced the room. “What for?” Elizabeth asked as she sat down on her bed.

“It’s my birthday and my dad is coming over for the day,” Kevin said. “You can’t stay in the house or he’ll find you and take you back. So Emily is going to take you to hang out today with Jason, Kyle, and Kyle’s younger sister, Andrea. They’ll bring you back when I call them and tell them that everything’s in the clear.” Elizabeth nodded and shut the door behind Kevin after he had left. She threw on some clothes and walked down the stairs to see Emily waiting for her. Emily turned and smiled when she saw Elizabeth. “I almost didn’t recognize you,” Emily said as she hugged Elizabeth. “You look so different and I love it.” Elizabeth smiled and walked with Emily into the kitchen were Kay, Jessica, Kat, and Kevin were waiting.

On the table was a birthday cake with the words “Happy 19th Kevin!” written on them. “Nineteenth?” Elizabeth asked in surprise when she saw the cake. “Kevin, I thought you told me that seniors were 17 or 18.” “Well, you see,” Emily said with a wide grin on her face. “Kevin got held back in kindergarten.” “Why?” Elizabeth asked. “Kevin is smart. Why would he get held back?” “He couldn’t share,” Emily said as her grin widened. Elizabeth looked at Kevin for acknowledgement and Kevin blushed slightly and nodded shyly. Elizabeth grinned a little and walked over to Kat.

“We’ll call you as soon as Peter has left,” Kat said as she hugged Elizabeth. Elizabeth nodded and scooped Jessica up in her arms. “I’ll be back a little later,” Elizabeth said to the young girl. “Remember not to say that I’m here.” Jessica nodded and hugged Elizabeth’s neck. Elizabeth placed the girl on the ground and walked over to Kevin. “Happy birthday,” Elizabeth said and with a burst of bravado she didn’t know she had she kissed him on the cheek. When Elizabeth pulled away both of them were blushing. Elizabeth waved and walked out the door with Emily close behind.

Kevin starred after her and placed his hand on his cheek. “Looks like someone has a crush on a certain girl,” Kay said as she elbowed her brother in his ribs. “No I don’t,” Kevin said trying to hide his brightening blush. “Yeah you do,” Kay said. “And it looks like she likes you to.” “No she doesn’t,” Kevin said as he placed his hands at his sides. “I’m just the only guy she really knows in this time, once she gets to know other guys she’ll forget about me and I’ll just become her brother.” “No she won’t Kevin, she’s not like that,” Kay said as she looked at her younger brother. Kevin shrugged and sat at the table to wait for his father.

“That was awesome,” Emily said as she followed Elizabeth down the stairs that led out of the house. “Kevin’s face was priceless.” “I don’t really know what came over me,” Elizabeth said as she sat in Emily’s car. “It just kinda happened.” “Aw, that’s cute! Was that the first time kissing a boy on the cheek?” Emily asked as she smiled at Elizabeth. “No,” Elizabeth lied and her pale face turned pink. “I kissed plenty of boys on the cheek in my time.” “Sure,” Emily said. “Anyways, I’m sure Kevin’s already told you this but we’re meeting up with the guys and we’re going to show you all the monuments.” Elizabeth nodded and flinched only a little when the car started.

About thirty five minutes later they arrived at the designated meeting area and Jason and a girl that was about sixteen with Kyle’s bright blonde hair and grey eyes. The girl walked up to Elizabeth and extended her hand. “Hi, I’m Andrea,” the girl said with a bright smile. “I’m Kyle’s younger sister.” “Hi,” Elizabeth said as she shook Andrea’s hand. “Where’s Kyle?” Emily asked. “He said he had to do something,” Andrea and Jason said together. Emily just shrugged and began walking. While they were walking Jason and Emily began to pull ahead of Elizabeth and Andrea and entwined their hands together. “Jason and Emily have been going out since Jason’s freshman year,” Andrea informed Elizabeth. “Jason graduated two years ago with Kay and Emily is a senior this year. They just got engaged last week.” Then Elizabeth noticed the shinning ring on Emily’s finger and she smiled and remembered the ring that Lady Marie had given her that she wore on her right hand at all times.

“They look good together,” Elizabeth said as she walked on with Andrea. “I think so to, but my brother hates it,” Andrea said. “He loves Emily; he’s wanted her since their freshman year. He almost broke them up once with a dirty trick, but Kevin stopped him. Ever since then Kyle has held a grudge against Kevin. He didn’t seem to speak kindly of you either so you might want to watch your back around him.” “What do you mean?” Elizabeth asked. “He was talking about how he could take his revenge on Kevin now that there was a girl in his life. He also said that you were too beautiful to resist,” Andrea said with a frown. “I’m sorry for my brother, he’s a jerk.” Elizabeth gave her a reassuring smile and walked on.

They spent the rest of the day showing Elizabeth the monuments and attractions. Elizabeth was the most impressed when they reached the Lincoln Memorial. She gazed in wonder at the giant man until Andrea began pulling her away. At about three Emily’s cell phone began ringing. It was Kat saying that Dr. Fitzgerald had left and that they could bring Elizabeth home whenever they were ready. After she hung up Emily and Elizabeth waved to their friends and began walking back to Emily’s car. When they reached the car Emily turned towards Elizabeth. “Kat also said that Kevin was extremely upset,” Emily said as she started the car. “Something his father said to him, nobody seems to know what. As soon as his dad left Kevin raced up to his room and hasn’t come out since.”

Elizabeth turned away from Emily as she began driving and stared out onto the oncoming street. She wondered what Kevin’s father could have said to him that could have upset him so. She would have to find out as soon as they got home. When they arrived at the house Elizabeth waved to Emily as she left and ran up the front steps. When she entered the house she saw everyone but Kevin sitting in the living room. “It’s so good to see you back Elizabeth,” Kat said. “Could you see if you could convince Kevin to come out? He’s locked himself in and won’t answer any of our calls. We thought he might listen to you.” “Why would he listen to me?” Elizabeth asked with a curious look. “He listened to you with my marriage to Andrew,” Kay said as she got up and walked over to Elizabeth to put her arm around her shoulders. “He seems to want to listen to what you have to say.”

Elizabeth blushed but nodded. She walked up the staircase and walked over to Kevin’s locked door. “Kevin,” Elizabeth called as she knocked. “Kevin, let me in. Please, we need to talk about this.” When no answer came she knocked again. “Kevin, you can’t stay in there forever. Unlock the door and let me in.” She heard the lock click and the door opened to reveal a stony-faced Kevin. “Come in,” he said blankly as he opened the door wide enough for Elizabeth to walk through. When she walked into the room she saw torn pictures laying on the floor, all of them containing Kevin’s father. Kevin walked over to his bed and sat down. “What’s wrong Kevin?” Elizabeth asked as she sat down on the bed next to him.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Kevin said curtly. “Why not?” Elizabeth asked as she moved closer to him and placed her hand upon his. “Because I don’t want to,” Kevin said as he pulled his hand away from hers. He got up and began pacing the room. “You just can’t stay up here forever and never come out,” Elizabeth said as she watched Kevin pace around the room. “Fine,” Kevin said as he stopped pacing to look at her. “My dad started talking about the museum again, like he always does. Then he began talking about someone stealing one of his specimens so my mom left the room. Once she left he looked straight at me and said, ‘I know you have her, I watched you stare at her everyday. Now, where is she?’ I told him I didn’t know what he was talking about, but he wouldn’t believe me. Then he said, ‘I’ll never stop looking for her, you know. And when I find her I’ll take her back to the museum and place her in storage.’ Storage is a prison, it’s where he puts specimens if they are unsatisfactory or they become a problem. It’s dark and dank; you’d be chained in a cell. I couldn’t take it, as I told him to leave and as soon as he left I came up here. I hate him.”

Hot tears began to form in Kevin’s eyes but he didn’t have the will to hold them back, they began falling fast down his cheek. Elizabeth stood and walked over to him. She whipped away his falling tears and placed her hands on his cheeks. “You shouldn’t say that you hate your father,” Elizabeth said understandingly. “Be happy that you have a father.” “How can I be happy with him if he’s so evil,” Kevin said with anger in his voice, not towards Elizabeth but the man that he had loved so much once in his life. “At least you have a father to hate,” Elizabeth said as she walked away from him. “I couldn’t even hate my father after he died and promised me to that man.” Elizabeth moved away from Kevin, sat on the bed, and pulled her knees up to her chest. “I couldn’t even cry for him, my eyes remained dry for my father’s death. I could only cry for what he had left me, a marriage to a man I didn’t love and an aunt who practically despised me.” Tears began falling down Elizabeth’s face and she buried her face into her knees. “I couldn’t even cry for him when his memories came back, I’m such a terrible daughter.”

Kevin sat next to her and wrapped his arms around her. Elizabeth turned her face and cried into Kevin’s chest. “You’re not a terrible daughter,” Kevin said as he stroked her silky hair. “You’re crying for him right now. And, if you can’t hate your father then I won’t either. I’ll love him for your sake.” Elizabeth nodded, got up from the bed, and whipped away her tears. “Let’s go down stairs,” She said as she offered Kevin her hand. He nodded, took her hand, and followed her down the stairs where everyone was waiting.